Bethesda tells us why ANZ will be first to Battlecry's beta!
Battlecry Beta First in ANZ!
We check out the fast-paced third-person Xbox One exclusive Sunset Overdrive to see just what it has in store.
Sunset Overdrive Reviewed
We take a look at Firaxis' sci-fi take on the Civ universe
Civilization: Beyond Earth Reviewed
We sit down with Blizzard's Ion Hazzikostas to talk all things World of Warcraft, including upcoming expansion Warlords of Draenor.
Talking Draenor with Ion Hazzikostas
Which console to buy?
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5594 posts
Hello.

I haven't properly gamed in a long time. I would like to get back into the sport and would love to hear everyones opinion on which console to buy and WHY.

You might be thinking "it depends on what sort of games you enjoy playing" but I've always enjoyed a variety of different types of games, from puzzle to adventure to fps and racing. Sports... not so much. Good single player gamers are important because I don't know if I will have decent internet. Price isn't a very big issue. I've been a hardcore Nintendo fan but I am ready to grow up now (Wii U won't be any different I think).

So give me your opinions no matter how biased they are and feel free to mention any games you think are worth while.

Please don't turn this into a PS3vsXBOXvsPC.
08:13pm 17/11/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:13pm 17/11/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17503 posts
ps3

dark souls

don't really know if either console makes that much difference tbh
08:14pm 17/11/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13143 posts
I haven't properly gamed in a long time. would love to hear everyones opinion on which console to buy

Sadface. SADFASE
08:38pm 17/11/12 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
6673 posts
ps3

dark souls
The PC version is better.
08:47pm 17/11/12 Permalink
Nukleuz
Perth, Western Australia
217 posts
The PC version is better.

What part of 'Please don't turn this into a PS3vsXBOXvsPC' don't you understand?

Given the Wii and the Wii U are the least likely consoles to satisfy any adult gamer I'll leave those out.

Here is a list of exclusive XBOX 360 games and here is an exclusive list of PS3 games. Give those a browse and check out a few reviews. Should help make your decision a little easier.

Personally, PS3 is the best choice. I've got a 360 and a PS3 and the 360 has been gathering dust for more than two years now.
09:01pm 17/11/12 Permalink
no you hang up
Brisbane, Queensland
2341 posts
I'd say im a casual gamer. Get right into it when a good title comes my way (Rage). Ive tried all the consoles and hands down in my opinion, the PS3 kicks major butt.
Ive only recently purchased my machine but so far have enjoyed Rage, Black Ops 2, Transformers : War for Cybertron, Ghostbusters and Rush'N'Attack (awesome remake of an 80's arcade classic)
Better graphics, better control and feel of movement, better controller. Just better.
Having said that, if you are into playing games with more than one person (in the same room), you cant go past the wii. From House of the Dead Overkill to Boom Blox to New Super Mario Bros, its neverending fun.
09:11pm 17/11/12 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
10730 posts
It depends which exclusive titles you want, if you want blu-ray or not and if you want to pay for the online service.

I've had an XBox for a few years and it has been great. But I still want to get a PS3 some time for the blu-ray and games like Metal Gear Solid.
09:48pm 17/11/12 Permalink
no you hang up
Brisbane, Queensland
2342 posts
^ Yeah this. I forgot about Alan Wake on Xbox. Great game.
09:52pm 17/11/12 Permalink
WirlWind
Central Coast, New South Wales
394 posts
Based sheerly off the fact that you don't have to pay to play multiplayer, PS3. (If you're not gonna buy a PC atleast).

Couldn't stand wasting money on 360, so ended up selling it in favour of the sony side.

Also, most of the 360 exclusives are shooters. I still to this day don't know why people play shooters on console...

I have a PC for that, the PS3 exclusives are far more interesting to me.

And the PC version of Dark Souls IS actually better. It's not a PC vs Console argument, it's fact.

::EDIT:: I also saw that the Wii U was actually trying to claw back a lot of core gamers. There are going to be a few good core games coming out with the console and it'll run nicer than either the 360 or PS3, so you might want to consider that if you have a large TV / play on a PC monitor like I do (upscaled 720p looks like absolute s***.)
10:17pm 17/11/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5596 posts
I would really like to pay The Last Of US. It looks amazing. That's on the PS3. I can't think of any xbox360 games I would die if I didnt play. So Nukleuz you have a good point.

Looking through the PS3, it's ICO collection and THe Last Of US. I'd also like to play some PS2 games but they've removed that feature right?

On the Xbox360 its Gears of War. I loved the first one.

I don't mind paying for online service but that's only if I have a decent net connection.

Hogfather: Yeah I know. I tried playing Fallout but I have a mac and it was way too much trouble getting it to work in windows. If I get internet in my new place I'll have to get a PC and play some Starcraft and diablo and fallout and tf2 and left4dead and lots and lots of games.

Keep the suggestions coming! Noyouhangup thanks!
10:20pm 17/11/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3599 posts
I started with a 360 and have never looked back.

You could argue about specs forever but why bother, someone will always trump someone else.

Gaming wise the exclusives are not that many, for Xbox there's GoW of course, and Halo, but i think it really comes down to personal pref and what you get used to.

The other thing I use my 360's for (yes I have 2, 1 games room 1 main lounge) is for streaming. Being windows it works seamlessly with my PC for this. Yes seamlessly. Via Media Centre no problems that aren't fixable. I have set up friends PS3 and find them a bit fickle for this what with having to have right folder names etc. WMC just connects.

Online play is fine on 360, sure you pay a 12 month subscription but its f*** all amd the servers are always good, well at least in my experience. Even though you're not considering this now I'd suggest you factor it in. Wouldn't want to have a dud when you finally do get good access.

Then there's the controllers, I like Xbox and find PS3 a bit awkward, maybe it's what you get used to.

And of course next you have to consider DVD playback, if you use them. Personally I don't so not an issue but if you want BR then PS3 is it so far.

So 2 things in summary.
1. Go try each console with friends and see what you like and dislike
2. Maybe wait a while for next gen?
10:45pm 17/11/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17504 posts
How is the pc version of dark souls better than console? I've heard it's a pretty bad port...
10:47pm 17/11/12 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
6674 posts
How is the pc version of dark souls better than console? I've heard it's a pretty bad port...
It's only bad because it's a straight port, so just like the console versions it renders the game at 1024*720 then scales the image. This can be easily fixed with DSFix, and then you've got a better version of Dark Souls on PC.
11:05pm 17/11/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7511 posts
I have yet to find a reason to buy an Xbox360, but I've bought about 20 PS3 games in the last 18 months. It's all personal preference.
I'm considering looking at a 360 with Halo4, but I'm not a huge fn of console FPS games.
11:14pm 17/11/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17505 posts
Oh right i was thinking there was actually something different with the game

Wouldn't buy the next one on pc even if it was released properly though tbh
11:20pm 17/11/12 Permalink
trillion
Brisbane, Queensland
2769 posts
if you expect that you'll be playing any games on one of the things and not just the AAA titles that are cross platform anyway, psn definately has better examples of games that are beautifully made than the xbox live arcade does
11:30pm 17/11/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3600 posts
if you expect that you'll be playing any games on one of the things and not just the AAA titles that are cross platform anyway, psn definately has better examples of games that are beautifully made than the xbox live arcade does

may be. but Xbox arcade has some good titles. If you have one check out Mark of the Ninja, Shadow Complex, Warp, and Deadlight

last edited by crazymorton at 00:02:47 18/Nov/12

last edited by crazymorton at 00:05:29 18/Nov/12
11:59pm 17/11/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
21072 posts
Speaking of Mark of the Ninja. Is that werth getting? I see it's on Steam now and was wondering.
12:02am 18/11/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3601 posts
yes if you like a good side scroller with puzzles and action, very definite yes it is great. Get Deadlight as well, it is also very good,
12:04am 18/11/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
21073 posts
Coolies. Deadlight looks nice as well. If it's on Steam I'll prolly grab it too.

EDIT: Just bought both games. 6 gig install for the both of them though. Hehe
12:07am 18/11/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16203 posts
I'd also like to play some PS2 games but they've removed that feature right?

unfortunately yes, but some developers have released HD versions of PS2 games on the PS3. here's a list
12:12am 18/11/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8033 posts
Wii U is looking very solid for the first of the next-gen consoles, however at this moment launch titles are limited but hopefully once developers see the potential we can see a floodgate of third party support. It looks like Nintendo are really wanting to encourage more varied games on this console so should be interesting to watch.

However, if you after something right now, I'd suggest either PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 as they both offer various great games including a few great exclusives. I'd be happy to sell you my PlayStation 3 if you are interested (hint hint).
02:57am 18/11/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34583 posts
wii
06:49am 18/11/12 Permalink
d0mino
Melbourne, Victoria
5276 posts
Aren't new consoles dropping next year?
08:39am 18/11/12 Permalink
Thundercracker
Brisbane, Queensland
3255 posts
Check out to see if there are any exclusive titles for xbox 360 or ps3 that you are after. Otherwise flip a coin imho
09:36am 18/11/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5598 posts
Check out to see if there are any exclusive titles for xbox 360 or ps3 that you are after. Otherwise flip a coin imho

Yeah I am starting to see this is the overall consensus.

Eorl: Burnt too many times to even take the console serious until I see it with my own eyes where a mature game comes is exclusive to the U. The last time in memory this happend was Gamecube Resident Evil 4 and that turned out to be a limited exclusive. PM with details about PS3?

d0mino: Where did you hear that from?
12:32pm 18/11/12 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
8062 posts
Why buy a console now when the next generation is so close?

Given the Wii and the Wii U are the least likely consoles to satisfy any adult gamer I'll leave those out.

Do you know something about the Wii U that nobody else does? Or is this just "Nintendoz are 4 babiez LOL" ?
01:03pm 18/11/12 Permalink
no you hang up
Brisbane, Queensland
2343 posts
I still to this day don't know why people play shooters on console...

Its not that hard dude. You'll just have to practice a bit more. Beats siting bolt upright at a desk to enjoy a game. Ugh.
01:05pm 18/11/12 Permalink
WetWired
Brisbane, Queensland
6106 posts
I have all 3, wii collects dust, ps3 plays blu rays and 360 for games.
04:20pm 18/11/12 Permalink
tspec
Melbourne, Victoria
3673 posts
I've been really happy with my PS3, I've probably spent most of my time with the PS3 on the motorstorm and pixeljunk games. I've come very close to getting a 360 at times, there seems to be quite a lot of arcady type games which I like. The most recent game for the 360 that's made me really want to get one is trials evolution. At this stage, I'm kind of waiting to see if the next xbox will play these 360 games, if so I'll just get that, if not, once the new xbox is out, I figure the 360's should be significantly cheaper anyway.
05:16pm 18/11/12 Permalink
shad
Brisbane, Queensland
3835 posts
I enjoyed the xbox 360 until RROD. I'd probably go a PS3 if I had to get another console so I could play Blu Rays.
05:20pm 18/11/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20225 posts
Yeah, theres some good exclusives on PS3 that are worth playing, but my 360 gets a lot more use than my PS3 does. In the end though I really think it just comes down to personal preference more than anything else, I prefer the 360 controllers and I prefer the 360's interface, and, even though you have to pay a monthly sub, I feel Live is a far superior product to PSN.

Also Halo 4 is one of the best games I've played all year, its seriously good, even if you've played a Halo game in the past and come away unimpressed, I would say give it a go because its above and beyond anything they've done in the past. And since you mentioned you like Gears of War, theres a new Gears game coming in I think March next year too. And theres Forza, which (while not really my thing) gets plenty of praise with each new iteration. Theres probably other 360 exclusives but tbh I'm drawing a blank. I guess theres Alan Wake, but thats on PC now too, but the inevitable sequel to it will be 360 exclusive (or possibly exclusive to Microsoft's next gen console if its aiming for next gen, who knows). If you haven't played Alan Wake though, and pick up a 360, definitely grab it, its awesome.

But then on PS3 I love the Uncharted games, God of War is always good mindless, violent fun, Heavy Rain was fantastic and the next game the guys who made that are making looks similarly awesome, and yeah the Last of Us looks good too. Then theres the next game by the guy who made Ico and Shadow of the Collossus as well, but its stuck in development hell and has been in production for like 5 or 6 years now, so who knows if it'll ever come out.

I think you could get by and find plenty of entertainment on either one though, whichever you get.
05:24pm 18/11/12 Permalink
Rhys84au
Brisbane, Queensland
44 posts
ps3 is the overall better console.

i ahve an xbox for the exclusives but the ps3 is the one on 99% of the time for not only gaming but also media as well... it really is a full entertainment system
08:15pm 18/11/12 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
2424 posts
Wii collect dust, i cycle between 360 and PS3, I own more games on the PS3 if that says anything.
08:40pm 18/11/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20226 posts
ps3 is the overall better console

Nah, its really not. Personal taste plays a large role, yeah the PS3 plays blurays so if you want a bluray player that gives it an edge, otherwise on paper they're exactly the same and do the same thing. Just comes down to what you prefer using, and what you want to play really.

Maybe one day console exclusivity will become a thing of the past and take the "what you want to play" aspect out of it, and it'll just be about what you prefer to use, that'd be nice. I guess theres always going to be first party developers developing exclusive titles though, but at least third party exclusivity seems to have mostly become a thing of the past during this generation.
08:45pm 18/11/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16206 posts
Nah, its really not.

i agree with him.
08:58pm 18/11/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21792 posts
The cool thing about receiving console advice is as soon as someone goes "xbox/ps3 is objectively the best 100%" you know you can instantly ignore them.

PC is objectively the best btw.
09:01pm 18/11/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34587 posts
i play my wii everyday, my kids love it super sick
09:09pm 18/11/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16207 posts
PC is objectively the best btw.

http://i.imgur.com/2jOgA.jpg
09:11pm 18/11/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3160 posts
Soooo...

Dont mean to hijack thread or anything but im looking to get a console for xmas. GF wants guitar hero, dance games, singing games and the kinect. Console mate reckons wait for some mega xbox xmas deal but i dunno about the HDD sizes n s*** like that so im asking questions now.

Looking to buy:
xbox - HDD size????
2x controllers
kinect
games
2x guitar hero guitars
XIM3 - Maybe @ later stage.

Anything i miss? Recommendations?

Would prefer new but would take preowned if still good condition and has warranties.
09:18pm 18/11/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19282 posts
conslols
09:35pm 18/11/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17508 posts
GF wants guitar hero, dance games, singing games and the kinect

going to take a bet that lasts only a few months

it will either end up collecting dust / you will be the only one using it
09:51pm 18/11/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20228 posts
Haven't played them myself, but those Dance Central games from Harmonix get a good rap and are sposed to be pretty fun. And that Star Wars dancing game looks good for lols when drunk.

You can usually get some kind of package with an xbox and a kinect though, dunno specifics but places like JB Hifi are always offering some kind of deal.

And Rock Band > Guitar Hero
10:53pm 18/11/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3162 posts
going to take a bet that lasts only a few months

Yeah im not sure. I dont mind guitar hero, played a mate's and enjoyed it despite never playing guitar before.

As for the singing and dancing games n kinect, i dunno. Im willing to give it a shot as it will be her xmas present so if she doesnt use it, it will be her loss.

We went to the arcade @ surfers paradise last weekend and she loved that despite having next to no gaming experience. Even enjoyed the shooter games so im hoping that her sing and dance games will be an intro to shooters, lol.
10:56pm 18/11/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16208 posts
do they even sell guitar hero/rockband in stores anymore?
11:34pm 18/11/12 Permalink
no you hang up
Brisbane, Queensland
2344 posts
I still maintain that playing games on the couch far outways playing games in an office chair.
Why would you bother with Guitar hero when Rocksmith will actually teach you guitar at the end of the day?
Real guitar not included.
08:51am 19/11/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6215 posts
I still maintain that playing games on the couch far outways playing games in an office chair. Why would you bother with Guitar hero when Rocksmith will actually teach you guitar at the end of the day?Real guitar not included.

Does playing COD teach you to become a marine?
Does World of Warcraft teach you to become a ???
Does duke nukem teach you how to kill martians?

Stop comparing two unlike things.
08:59am 19/11/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16209 posts
Does playing COD teach you to become a marine?
Does World of Warcraft teach you to become a ???
Does duke nukem teach you how to kill martians?

Stop comparing two unlike things.

you use a real guitar so it actually does teach you how to play.
09:14am 19/11/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20230 posts
Why would you bother with Guitar hero when Rocksmith will actually teach you guitar at the end of the day?

Cos its fun? Some people don't want to learn how to play a real guitar, they just want to have fun pretending they're a rock star. Isn't that what games are all about? Escapism and pretending you're someone or something else?
11:44am 19/11/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3166 posts
^
F*** yeah. I have no interest in learning real guitar, guitar hero is for pure arcade fun just like how many people prefer unrealistic, arcade style shooters.
11:52am 19/11/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5600 posts
The cool thing about receiving console advice is as soon as someone goes "xbox/ps3 is objectively the best 100%" you know you can instantly ignore them.PC is objectively the best btw.

The whole point of this thread is for biased opinions like the ones you have described. Too bad he didn't really justify his opinion. Name games man!

I've read some terrible things about Rocksmith. It's not really a proper video game and it's not very good at teaching you how to play the guitar.

Khel: I forgot about Alan Wake, I was really excited for that game when it came out (because it was made by remedy games - max payne). Not really into realistic sport racers but the new Need for Speed game looks cool, I love that sort of racing game. Also just remembered: Burnout Paradise.
01:19pm 19/11/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3607 posts
GF wants guitar hero, dance games, singing games and the kinect

These are great party games. when you've got a BBQ with friends going or a bunch of rellys around these are the ones you pull out after some drinks and laugh yourself stupid at. Not everyone likes killing aliens or zombies or terrorists.

Get them, you will have fun and engage most people of all ages during parties.
03:47pm 19/11/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3608 posts
Looking to buy: xbox - HDD size???? 2x controllers kinect games 2x guitar hero guitars XIM3 - Maybe @ later stage. Anything i miss? Recommendations? Would prefer new but would take preowned if still good condition and has warranties.

Go new, should some good deals coming up and fresh warranty.

60GB is fine unless you want to store a s***load of media on there. Game saves take up f*** all space. I stream everything so all my stuff is game saves. Some of the newer games are asking you to install to your HDD for a "better gaming experience" not to sure what that means, I'm assuming faster load times. (Borderlands 2 is one that does this), but that's only a few GB.

If you have everything on a PC then streaming with WMC is easy, unless you have windows 8 of course then you're in trouble. Nah not really, XBMC will do it.

You usually get one wired controller in a deal. Grab 2 wireless extra with rechargeable packs if you can afford it. Charges through USB at front. Plus you can use one for PC gaming with another small adaptor from eBay.

Then for games, and providing you can wait 10-14 days, shop at ozgameshop for everything.
04:02pm 19/11/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20237 posts
If you have everything on a PC then streaming with WMC is easy, unless you have windows 8 of course then you're in trouble. Nah not really, XBMC will do it.

I use PS3 Media Server to stream everything from my PC to my XBox. Even though its called PS3 Media Server, it streams to pretty much anything, not just PS3s. It doesn't stream some HD stuff too well, but thats probably more to do the fact I'm doing it over wireless rather than any limitations of the software or console.
04:08pm 19/11/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17509 posts
They have actually changed the name of ps3 media server to universal media server in later versions
04:52pm 19/11/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3168 posts
Thanks crazy. I have Tivo that can connect to my PC so that covers all my media needs. I am interested in the xbox live arcade but i doubt that would fill 60gb. I will get wireless controllers but need a wired in case i get that XIM3 thing.
05:42pm 19/11/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3609 posts
I am interested in the xbox live arcade but i doubt that would fill 60gb

true. last 2 I got were 1-2 GB each. Someone mentioned Trials HD or the next one Evolution. Both awesome games put these on your list.
06:21pm 19/11/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3170 posts
Just to make things clear, i wasnt having a crack @ you, but agreeing with that HDD size given my situation.
06:25pm 19/11/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3611 posts
yeah i know. i didn't take it any other way. my reply was also intended to represent that i agree. Good solid arcade games are relatively small as in from 1 to 2 GB but some of the basic ones are really small to few hundred mb

hugs bro :-)

however! now i feel i might have misled you a bit. I have 2 x xbox. the lounge one is for streaming and the party games on a 60GB HDD. the games room one is for me. and this one has a 120GB HDD. So i thought i'd check out some games out of interest. here's what i found.
Games/Apps - 65GB
Demos (cause i like to try before i buy) - 4.6GB

Games themselves range from large to practically nothing
BF3 - 2.7GB
COD - World at War - 7.9GB
Burnout Paradise - 2.2GB
GoW 3 - 240mb
Bioshock - 65mb

and some arcades
Bank Shot Billiards - 37mb
Deadlight - 2GB
Mark of Ninja - 1.6GB

easy to fill up when you start installing the latest games off disk, get some quality arcade stuff, then a few demos.

so may be you will need a 120GB?
06:58pm 19/11/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3172 posts
COD5 7.9gb, wow.

Yeah, maybe 120, will see price difference. Thanks for checking that out.

EDIT:
Just made my day - COD4 is still popular online. 290 players at time of writing and 10+ servers at least half full. Time to dust off my old CD and install again. Too bad my preferred COD5 seems to be totally dead.

http://game-monitor.com/search.php?game=cod4&location=AU

Also lol, COD4 on steam is $50.
07:07pm 19/11/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:07pm 19/11/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.