We chat with Blizzard's Tom Chilton on all things World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor
Talking World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor with Tom Chilton
We take the open-world of fictional Kyrat for a spin.
Far Cry 4 Open-World Hands-On Preview
We take on the Dark Lord and his minions in Monolith's epic action-adventure romp
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Review
We go hands-on with Ubisoft's next Assassin's Creed game, Unity, to see what all the revolution fuss is about
Assassin's Creed: Unity Hands-On Preview
recommend me; knife set
XaltD
Queensland
1124 posts
So I am looking for a decent set of kitchen knives. Any suggestions? I have been eyeing off some nice Japanese knives on eBay. Wondering what you use right now and if you have seen any that you would really like?
01:07am 17/11/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:07am 17/11/12 Permalink
XandraX
Brisbane, Queensland
1136 posts
I use Global Knives; they're good.
01:31am 17/11/12 Permalink
Infidel
Netherlands
3993 posts
I had cheap ikdea chinese crap that couldnt even cut a tomato in the end :( Bought one japanese made knife and its silly how much safer and awesome it is. German style knives with those grooves on the sides can be good to cut vegies so the slices dont stick to the knife but the steel can be a bit softer that.

So long story short generally you won't need any other knife in a kitchen than a Santoku style one. (im no chef but do like cooking and cutting s*** up is important to do safely and neatly)
01:53am 17/11/12 Permalink
FraktuRe
Gold Coast, Queensland
4398 posts
Ask CHUB.
02:10am 17/11/12 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9767 posts
go find the local butcher in your area (yeah I know they're dying out)

buy at least $40 bucks worth of meat and then ask him... he'll prolly keep you glued to the spot for a good hour or so if you'll listen to what he has to say eh
02:35am 17/11/12 Permalink
Crusher
Sydney, New South Wales
1208 posts
+1 Global

Also Mundial
08:44am 17/11/12 Permalink
nubbin
Gold Coast, Queensland
572 posts
Global
08:54am 17/11/12 Permalink
no you hang up
Brisbane, Queensland
2340 posts
Bismarck are a good german brand. Solid knives.
For filleting and finer cuts, you cant go past Kostur. Japanese stain free high carbon.
09:32am 17/11/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9546 posts
Great collections at a good price at Harris-Scarfe at Chermside.
Theres also a good Knife store at Chermside just down from Coles.

10:05am 17/11/12 Permalink
Spock
Brisbane, Queensland
2121 posts
yes, drop 300 dollars on a global set, and decent sharpener (maybe a 300/1000 grit whetstone - oil or otherwise, we have a water one) in that price, and as long as you spend the time sharpening them every few weeks... or before every use with that sword thingy (i forget the name).

here's some mothery women to show you how it's done.

so in summary

+1 global.
10:13am 17/11/12 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
15499 posts
Voted global
10:15am 17/11/12 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10394 posts
whenever i see people 'discuss' knives on the internet, i see you all as dwights
10:16am 17/11/12 Permalink
Gesthemene
Brisbane, Queensland
1358 posts
I bought a set of Furi knives about 8 years ago. They're a soft steel so they need sharpening fairly regularly, but they're beautiful knives and we use them almost daily. Cannot recommend them highly enough.

As long as you use the sharpening device that comes with them, they're awesome. Otherwise, Zwilling J.A. Henckels are outstanding as are the Shun and Sakura knives from Japan.
02:35pm 17/11/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3596 posts
02:38pm 17/11/12 Permalink
XaltD
Queensland
1125 posts
07:35pm 17/11/12 Permalink
XaltD
Queensland
1126 posts
^ this link above - looks the goods, I need advice on blade material types and how often to be sharpened, what's a better blade one that doesn't have to be sharpened as much or one that is sharpened before each use?

What do you use to cut on, Wood? Plastic? Glass(not any more!)
07:36pm 17/11/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10475 posts
http://noveltygifts.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/knife-block-man.jpg

These knives are just pieces of metal. No bulls***, other than the cool man they go into. Available everywhere, but cheaper online. Piss easy to sharpen and clean.

Also a bunch of these scanpan ones to eat steak:

http://www.scanpan.dk/images/grafik_diverse/Spectrum.jpg
07:46pm 17/11/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5593 posts
In my opinion you only need 3 kindes of knives:

A tradition chefs knife - you know the stock standard thing you use to cut tomatos and people.
A Cleaver - I love em, for ages that is all I used for everything, including deboning meat! They can be used to cut, shred, pound and crush your food into submission.
A breadknife - or any sort of serrated knife. Good for bread and everything else like pumpkin.

Optional knife is a filet/deboning knife only if you enjoy buying whole chickens because you are too poor/cheap to pay double for prepared meat.

Everything else is useless because you're not a pro and you will never know the proper use for them.
08:00pm 17/11/12 Permalink
XaltD
Queensland
1127 posts
Yeah it's been over 15 years since i've done my cheffing, so i'm out of the game for a while, Just want the traditional French/Kitchen knife really until I get back into.

I really want to get into some Sushi making etc
08:08pm 17/11/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5595 posts
F***. I didn't know you were a chef, sorry for being condescending. Kinda glad you kinda agree with me, kinda.
08:36pm 17/11/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13142 posts
F***. I didn't know you were a chef, sorry for being condescending.

Had to happen eventually greazy! :p
08:37pm 17/11/12 Permalink
Nukleuz
Perth, Western Australia
218 posts
Wusthof knives are amazing. I've got the cleaver and well... god it's good!

Will be replacing my Global knives with a Wusthof set.

Quite heavy so might not float everyone's boat.
09:07pm 17/11/12 Permalink
XaltD
Queensland
1128 posts
No sorry you were right, My skill sets are exhausted and way out of date, its been 15 years SINCE i've done it lol!
09:37pm 17/11/12 Permalink
Krisstyna
Other International
1 posts
10:30pm 17/11/12 Permalink
stinky
USA
3736 posts
Don't buy a knife set!! just buy two or three knives and get exactly what you want. I wouldn't bother too much with the expensive stuff, just get a good steel and get it sharpened every 6 months.

The Victorinox knives are very servicable and cheap -

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_kitchen?_encoding=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=Victorinox&node=1055398

but if you want to spend a bit more Global are great, or spend even more and get a MAC.

I'd get the 10" Chef's knife, a bread knife, and a paring knife. Next time you're near a chinese market get a cheap cleaver as well. Try and get synthetic handles over wood ... easier maintenance ( wood you shouldn't put through dishwasher, and should oil it every once and a while ).

I'm also partial to the big slicing knives ( often called a ham slicing knife ) perfect for carving roasts ... and surprisingly also very good for filleting fish.

11:07am 18/11/12 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10397 posts
fairly average first post
11:52am 18/11/12 Permalink
mooby
Brisbane, Queensland
6217 posts
I've got the cleaver and well... god it's good!

agreed.
01:24pm 18/11/12 Permalink
qmass
Queensland
10453 posts
Having worked in kitchens its kind of hard to understand why people ever want to buy sets of knives, unless you plan to butcher your own carcasses or fillet fish there is no point. All you need is a cheffy knife (big or medium depending on your skills), paring and maybe bread.

Global are good and light, germans are good and heavy and japs are psychotically sharp but expensive. Victorinox gets a mention for being by far the best cheap knives.

The best knife you can buy for a reasonable price (ie. a lot but not 400 bux a lot) is a kasumi IMO. Japanese, Damascus and resilient. I have a kasumi chefs knife that is two-three years old now, half and half home and work and I have never sharpened it, just honed, and it is still too sharp for cheap chopping borards, cutting into them and dragging.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f62/Banjobill/DSCF0074.jpg
04:31pm 18/11/12 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
15503 posts
04:46pm 18/11/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
04:46pm 18/11/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.