Follow on for our second entry in the on-going review of World of Warcraft's fifth expansion, Warlords of Draenor
World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor: Day 8 - Garrisons
We chat with Blizzard's Hearthstone team on all the juicy info about the first expansion to highly-successful card game Hearthstone
Hearthstone: Goblins vs Gnomes Developer Interview
We take a nostalgic look back at one of the best N64 games to ever be made, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Throwback Thursday - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
What Irks You? What do you put up with?
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2857 posts
I want to know what people have to put up with, and not necessarily day to day like mine but tell us all what Irks you?!

Would anyone like to report my neighbour for never shutting the f*** up. All she does is scream at the kids all day every day and i've been tempted numerous times to leave a note or some such thing. I would report her for the abuse she hurls at these kids day in and day out - and just generally one of those cranky C****s who scream at their kids all give them a flogging all day.

Thoughts? I'm just trying to enjoy my morning coffee and have to put up with listening to this b****. What Irks You?!!?
08:21am 14/11/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:21am 14/11/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34561 posts
whingey forum posts
08:26am 14/11/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3618 posts
People parking on the footpath, not just a little, but blocking the whole strip so you have to push the peak onto the road and wait for traffic to pass so you can continue your journey.

People who don't train their dogs to bark once or twice to let you know someone is around then stfu but let them continually bark and go nuts when someone is walking past on the footpath.
08:35am 14/11/12 Permalink
Morax
Brisbane, Queensland
2325 posts
Would (or should/could) OF
Your <-> You're

-------------------------

S*** drivers

People who walk slow and take up all the walking space (usually groups of people)

Pessimism

08:49am 14/11/12 Permalink
Captain Lateral
Brisbane, Queensland
4633 posts
neighbors that dob you in to the council for minor infractions like leaving your bin out half a day longer than necessary or parking on the nature strip or if the grass is too tall.

People who get s***** because you don't get out of their way when they indicate to merge.
09:04am 14/11/12 Permalink
DirtyApe
Brisbane, Queensland
969 posts
Ignorant drivers
Hypocrites
Tampon ads
Every politician that has ever breathed
People who wait 15 minutes in a line at a cafe and then wait till they get to the front before deciding what they want
EFTPOS and Credit Cards, all it does is slow down transactions
09:13am 14/11/12 Permalink
Crusher
Sydney, New South Wales
1206 posts
Little yappy highly strung needy dogs that bark 24x7
09:28am 14/11/12 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2858 posts
Also can't stand dealing with anyone overseas on the phone whether its telcos or anything with laggy phone chat where you speak over eachother. Whilst potentially funny - quite annoying.
09:46am 14/11/12 Permalink
no you hang up
Brisbane, Queensland
2332 posts
gnorant drivers
Hypocrites
Tampon ads
People who wait 15 minutes in a line at a cafe and then wait till they get to the front before deciding what they want

+1 on all that. And for the sake of consistency, Borderlands 2 and Game Of Thrones. :P
10:21am 14/11/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8307 posts
Persistant sales people - just give the f*** up already.
Your / you're
There / their / they're
F*****s that are going into a turning lane but slow down before getting into the turning lane, even though there is ample room to merge then slow down.
10:24am 14/11/12 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
1249 posts
everything

nothing
10:49am 14/11/12 Permalink
spidz
Brisbane, Queensland
11165 posts
in addition to your you're there they're their - his he's

People that get s***** at you for driving up the vacant lane and then merging, the lanes aren't there for decoration, f*****g use them.

People that speed up when you go to overtake them

battery life on smartphones

10:49am 14/11/12 Permalink
no you hang up
Brisbane, Queensland
2333 posts
The fact that the law requires you to indicate to the right when approaching a roundabout and flicking the left indicator on as you exit when driving straight through. So much for roundabouts being a tool for improving traffic flow. Nanny state makes it a safety feature. Not that many people are aware of their indicators in Queensland.

This thread is quite therapeutic :)
10:50am 14/11/12 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
997 posts
Immigrants that come to Australia and do nothing but complain about it.

People with no accountability - everyone is a victim these days.. it's always someone or something else's fault.

Possums. Horrible little c*nts always knock s*** over over on my balcony or drop s*** onto my roof at night. Absolutely no courtesy at all.

http://anongallery.org/img/7/8/oh-no-a-horrid-little-monkey-oreilly.jpg
10:57am 14/11/12 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8653 posts
When a web page appears loaded and you click on a link, then the webpage reshuffles a little and registers you clicking on another link right above or below the one you want. RAGE.
10:57am 14/11/12 Permalink
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
8020 posts
Nexus 4 selling out in 1 hour.
11:02am 14/11/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6201 posts
People who don't train their dogs to bark once or twice to let you know someone is around then stfu
My parents dog is so f*****g dumb, they tried to train it while it was young, then they tried to use a shock collar because sitting nearby the dog to tell it off/smack it every time it barked was getting old (after a year or so) then they just gave up.

Luckily 15 years later it's become prettty blind and deaf so now it only barks it's head off if someone uses the doorbell. It's really f*****g dumb so it doesn't notice if someone just walks inside that it hasn't seen. Often she will walk by that person and maybe 3-5 minutes later notice a different smell, bark crazily and then go sniff out the person it thinks it just found intruding.

Never get a b***on friese. My dad had allergies so they wanted a dog that didn't shed. Mistake.

Worse, it's outlived it's life expetancy. So it's not even dead yet. :P
11:03am 14/11/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8308 posts

The fact that the law requires you to indicate to the right when approaching a roundabout and flicking the left indicator on as you exit when driving straight through.

I always thought it was no indicator on approach for driving straight through (and left indicator when exiting regardless of which way exit you're taking).
11:06am 14/11/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3619 posts
Lol.

Dogs are supposed to bark, it's one of the reasons we started using them about 15,000 years ago, so trying to stop them barking completely is an exercise in frustration. It's better and a lot easier to train them to bark once to let you know someone is there and so the person walking past knows it is there.
11:10am 14/11/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34565 posts
The fact that the law requires you to indicate to the right when approaching a roundabout and flicking the left indicator on as you exit when driving straight through.

I always thought it was no indicator on approach for driving straight through (and left indicator when exiting regardless of which way exit you're taking).

tickles is right, whoever posted the first bit is wrong (unless the law changed)
11:17am 14/11/12 Permalink
do0b
Brisbane, Queensland
4464 posts
traffic in general but specifically things like trucks, busses, terrible drivers, old people, aznz, women.
11:20am 14/11/12 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
6983 posts
i've never complained about a noisy neighbour before in my life but i'm going to now... my noisy f**n neightbour !@#!@#
8 years of power tools every f**n day... grinders, benchsaws, orbital sanders & the like.. how can there be any material left that hasn't already been ground, sawn or sanded away !?! 8 years & he's been working on ONE EXTERNAL WALL & it's even more f***ed than when he started. it was good 1950s hardwood weather board with decent paint when he started... now it's multiple layers of hardy plank with all the holes covered with bits of tarp that flap in the wind & boarded up windows.

gah!@ so much f***ed-up-ness i could rant for hours n not cover every bizarre thing that he does.

also grammar pedants are pretty annoying :D
11:21am 14/11/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34569 posts
the lnp

is there a member of the lnp who doesnt have their snout in the trough or isnt using their political position as an extension of their business opporunities?
05:56pm 14/11/12 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
7586 posts
tailgating/speeding

oh.. and 80% of the dutch population
06:08pm 14/11/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3573 posts
People that stand so far back from the counter you're never sure if they are actually in line for service

The waiting in line thing mentioned, more specially that they don't have their money or CC ready and fumble around forever.

NRL refs

Working - I deserve to win lotto

Broccoli

Cucumber
06:18pm 14/11/12 Permalink
Insom
Canada
4115 posts
06:20pm 14/11/12 Permalink
slamma
Perth, Western Australia
75 posts
Ignorant drivers
Hypocrites
Tampon ads

^ Gold Not being able to turn left on red in w.a,the n.t has it and its f*****g awsome.cheers
06:28pm 14/11/12 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
999 posts
the lnp

Because the ALP worked out sooooooo well....
06:36pm 14/11/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20903 posts
I have to put up with myself. I wouldn't wish myself on my worst enemy. I tried to get away numerous times but somehow I always end up finding myself and it starts all over again.
06:37pm 14/11/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34570 posts
Because the ALP worked out sooooooo well....

they did, especially if you worked for the public service~!
06:50pm 14/11/12 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
8723 posts
People that walk slow in public while holding hands.
06:53pm 14/11/12 Permalink
no you hang up
Brisbane, Queensland
2335 posts
--
tickles is right, whoever posted the first bit is wrong (unless the law changed)

the law changed 3 or so years ago. lol. shows how much queenslanders give a s*** about road rules.
08:10pm 14/11/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3621 posts
If you want to drive straight ahead on a roundabout, you can approach without signalling. But, make sure you signal left as you exit and turn your indicator off after you've left the roundabout.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Queensland-Road-Rules/Road-rules-refresher/Roundabouts.aspx

Also breaks-brakes
08:20pm 14/11/12 Permalink
shad
Brisbane, Queensland
3832 posts
I walk in the city every day so I agree with most of what is said. The other thing I hate are the slow walkers that block all traffic, then push to the front at the lights to slow everyone down all over again.
08:21pm 14/11/12 Permalink
Boxhead
Brisbane, Queensland
12387 posts
I work in Supply and logistics...

What irks me is that people don't understand that stuff, no matter how important, doesn't just appear...

WE HAVEN'T INVENTED MAGICAL STAR TREK REPLICATORS that can just zap s*** into existence there on the spot. I can't just email you a piece of medical tech and you can go and insert it into a patient...
08:25pm 14/11/12 Permalink
Captain Lateral
Brisbane, Queensland
4634 posts
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Queensland-Road-Rules/Road-rules-refresher/Roundabouts.aspx

For the lazy:

Going straight ahead

1) Position your vehicle in either lane unless the arrows on the road or signs indicate otherwise.
2) Do not use your indicator until ready to exit.
3) Give way to all vehicles already on the roundabout.
4) Before exiting, use your left indicator and follow the exit lane marking.
5) Stop indicating once you have exited the roundabout.
08:47pm 14/11/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3622 posts
You know that thing you do when you are walking and someone else is walking straight towards you and you both go the same direction to avoid bumpage so you try the other direction and they do the same?
If everyone kept left this would never happen (you'd both go left, or right in those weird right hand driving countries)

last edited by mental at 20:52:52 14/Nov/12
08:50pm 14/11/12 Permalink
sleepy
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
2340 posts
The fact that the law requires you to indicate to the right when approaching a roundabout and flicking the left indicator on as you exit when driving straight through. So much for roundabouts being a tool for improving traffic flow. Nanny state makes it a safety feature. Not that many people are aware of their indicators in Queensland.This thread is quite therapeutic :)

I had this discussion with the missus the other night.

We had discussed it previously and my school of thought always was:

If turning left indicated left.
If going straight through then no indication until exiting left. Then indicate.
If going right, then indicate right and then left when exiting.

She tells me she looked up the rules recently and they reckon always indicate right unless taking the first left off the round-about then left before exiting.

It just felt weird and I was the passenger. It seemed too busy and an over-use of the indicator. It will just piss people off if you are going straight through and the other entry point at '12 o'clock' start thinking you are turning right until you make a rash indication of exiting left.

More than 4 entry/exit points then the theory should only change based on the angle of the exit opposed to the entry.
If the exit is past '12 o'clock' then a right indication should be required until the inevitability of a left indication for the exit.
09:07pm 14/11/12 Permalink
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
2024 posts
wtf just drive through the f*****, why indicate?

edit: when going straight.
09:17pm 14/11/12 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2779 posts
my parents have always indicated right when going straight through a roundabout then left then exiting it. it makes sense in my world too.

it just felt weird and I was the passenger. It seemed too busy and an over-use of the indicator. It will just piss people off if you are going straight through and the other entry point at '12 o'clock' start thinking you are turning right until you make a rash indication of exiting left.

then what happens with the jackass that wants to go right and doesnt indicate at all. dont know about you but if im waiting to enter a roundabout and i see a guy not indicating im not risking it. he could either be going through or continue turning. its why the law is there to make ppl indicate even when going straight through.
09:19pm 14/11/12 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
8725 posts
then what happens with the jackass that wants to go right and doesnt indicate at all.
Doesn't matter in the slightest because defensive driving dictates that you shouldn't enter until you are clear.
09:50pm 14/11/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3574 posts
You know that thing you do when you are walking and someone else is walking straight towards you and you both go the same direction to avoid bumpage so you try the other direction and they do the same? If everyone kept left this would never happen (you'd both go left, or right in those weird right hand driving countries)

The primary cause of this is eye contact. If you look at each other you'll do this, trick is to look elsewhere. True story, try it next time.

Roundabouts - I'm in the no indicate on, indicate off school if going straight through. Otherwise left indicate is an obvious one and right indicate if going past first exit.

The main thing that s**** me on these is people waiting to enter who are waiting for a car to their right that is not even on or close to the roundabout.
10:10pm 14/11/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3147 posts
the law changed 3 or so years ago. lol. shows how much queenslanders give a s*** about road rules.

The whole going thru round about straight, dont indicate til about to leave then indicate left was the rule when i got my Ls 8-9yrs ago.
10:42pm 14/11/12 Permalink
HurricaneJim
Brisbane, Queensland
1259 posts
Carnies
10:42pm 14/11/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3623 posts
Ill try that next time, but if people kept left on footpaths or in malls it would make it a lot easier anyway.

While I'm enjoying this rant thread, people that try to shoulder barge you or scare you by screaming or making weird, loud sounds as they walk pass (Logan usually). Friday just gone I was walking to the petrol station for some mixers when this guy about a foot infringe of me screamed like a banshee in my face to scare me for a laugh, I didn't jump though, but grabbed him by the throat and squeezed before I realised what I was doing and let go.

Road rage. Someone punched my car door at a red light once, was in an old am fairlane at the time and could hear his hand breaking. No idea what set him off, but the light turned green as he connected so off I went.

last edited by mental at 22:50:08 14/Nov/12
10:46pm 14/11/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3148 posts
2x lols mental.
10:52pm 14/11/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16187 posts
Friday just gone I was walking to the petrol station for some mixers when this guy about a foot infringe of me screamed like a banshee in my face to scare me for a laugh, I didn't jump though, but grabbed him by the throat and squeezed before I realised what I was doing and let go.

christ, i think you both have issues.
11:06pm 14/11/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3624 posts
I've been jumped by a large group of people before, not something I want to happen again.
11:15pm 14/11/12 Permalink
Jayebee
Brisbane, Queensland
169 posts
People who at work, don't ask you your name, but rather bend down and stare at your crotch where your ID badge is clipped to your belt.
01:19am 15/11/12 Permalink
no you hang up
Brisbane, Queensland
2336 posts
he tells me she looked up the rules recently and they reckon always indicate right unless taking the first left off the round-about then left before exiting.

Same. Its the rule. Deal with it people. It turns a roundabout into a safety feature, which in nanny state Qld, makes sense. All the links in the world wont change this.
02:41am 15/11/12 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
987 posts
Hardasses who think they own the road and have little consideration for others.

Political parties.

Religious organisations that bend rules and get special treatment and exert pressure on government to get their way.

Console ports.

My modem.

Police officers.

lack of understanding.

People who treat animals like things. Just keep the dog in their yard and never let their dog inside.
02:53am 15/11/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3625 posts
But the links are to the road rules O.o
I downloaded the driving handbook, the update to it and searched the qld transport site and couldn't find anything that says to indicate when going straight on approach.
Where did you lookup this rule if it isn't there?
07:25am 15/11/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8311 posts
I got my license in QLD but here is the VIC rules which are the same as I always thought it to be.

Turning left
If there are multiple lanes you must approach in the left lane and stay in that lane. You must indicate a left turn on your approach to the roundabout and keep the indicator on until you have left the roundabout.

Turning right
If there are multiple lanes you must approach the roundabout in the right lane and stay in that lane. You must indicate a right turn on your approach, and indicate left, if practicable, just before the exit you are turning into, keeping the indicator on until you have left the roundabout.

Going straight ahead
If there are multiple lanes, approach the roundabout in the left or right lane. Drive in the same lane through the roundabout. Do not signal on your approach to the roundabout, but if practicable, signal left as you exit.
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/SafetyAndRules/RoadRules/Roundabouts.htm
07:40am 15/11/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
21055 posts
Bike riding thru Kangaroo Point and South Bank and people walk side by side in big groups blocking the entire path. Also people in general not staying to the left and blocking everyone from getting past. Oh, and slow walking people who block everyone's path as well. lol
08:25am 15/11/12 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2860 posts
^ bike riders but good to see you are on the paths and not on the f*****g roads.
09:52am 15/11/12 Permalink
ElectricBoogie
Brisbane, Queensland
48 posts
I am at clients for work 75% of the year and usually with the same colleague.
This person burbs continuously during the day, slurps coffee and chew gum really loud with her mouth open. What’s worse is the more I notice it the more annoying it becomes.
By Friday I want to kill her and myself.
10:09am 15/11/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5431 posts
What irks me is not that I have to use the indicator on the roundabout because it's trivial to do, it's that the rules are slightly different from state to state leading to increased confusion and unpredictability between different drivers.
Ultimately it means this is the only sane advice:
Doesn't matter in the slightest because defensive driving dictates that you shouldn't enter until you are clear.
10:39am 15/11/12 Permalink
Taipan
USA
3900 posts
People that block an aisle because they are to self absorbed to have any consideration for people around them.

F***wits that fart at the table in the lunch room (real low class trash)

Dumb s**** that eat with their mouths open.

Disgusting animals that will actually jam their finger up their nose for a pick right in the middle of a conversation. Honestly wtf kind of upbringing did these f***wits have?

Slow walkers at the mall. Given how universally hated this is I am amazed so many people actually do it.

Dopey f*****s that stand 3m back from the counter causing the other people in line to have no choice but to block access to other parts of the store/servo. Add to that being 5th or 6th in line when every motherf***** in front of you is using their CC to pay.... so much for convenience.

B****** that don't even acknowledge you when you hold a door open for them. What I find suprising is there doesn't seem to be an age group where this behaviour is more common as both young and old alike seem to think her royal f*****g highness is entitled to this reguardless of equality or just plain good manners.

Women that seem to place no value in being a women and would rather try to imitate men. Then of course b**** and moan they can't find a guy

Now for driving
Guys with some obvious inadequacy issues that absolutely have to beat everyone off the line. In saying that though it's probably not as bad as the d******* with his head down looking at his phone when the lights go green and holds everyone up enough that only half as many people make it through the lights.

People that cut up a merging lane as it's finishing because they absolutely have to get that all so critical one more car length ahead. They then spend the next 15 minutes stuck in traffic just 15 feet ahead of the car they so desperately had to over take. If this is you, YOU are without doubt one of the most monumentally stupid c**** ever to get behind the wheel.

People on phones while driving. Hands free is fine but holding a phone up to your head while cruising along at 70kmph on the Gateway is f*****g retarded.

There are so many more but f*** it maybe another time.
12:20pm 15/11/12 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1000 posts
P

People that cut up a merging lane as it's finishing because they absolutely have to get that all so critical one more car length ahead. They then spend the next 15 minutes stuck in traffic just 15 feet ahead of the car they so desperately had to over take. If this is you, YOU are without doubt one of the most monumentally stupid c**** ever to get behind the wheel.

+1000000

I quite often don't let f***wits like that merge back in.
12:51pm 15/11/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5432 posts
Guys with some obvious inadequacy issues that absolutely have to beat everyone off the line.

These guys are funny. Zooming off at one set of lights and leaving everyone else in their dust, only for everyone to catch up to him waiting at the next red.
12:58pm 15/11/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3412 posts
normally i dont care what the customers are doing,

but today this guy irked me,
first of all, i was doing a till check, and had a very clear sign stating that i'm closed for 5 minutes, most people just give an ok, and just browse for those few minutes, but not this guy

he grabs a paper, and has his earbud headphones firmly planted in his head, and turn up loud, (loud enough to hear clearly over the 767 spooling up behind me,) so i point at the closed sign, his reply was to slap a $100 on the counter, and yell "i dont have the time to wait" so i clearly replied (so clear that the others in the shop heard) "thats fine, but i wont be able to give change" he replied/yelled, okay

then stood there waiting for something
(a nice old old lady ended up owning his arse, she tapped him on the shoulder, and explained that if he wasn't so self absorbed and "a smart alec prick" he would have heard, and that it is normally good form to take your hat off inside and pull your earphones out when talking to someone)
02:29pm 15/11/12 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2861 posts
nice one copuis - guy sounds like a d***
02:37pm 15/11/12 Permalink
spidz
Brisbane, Queensland
11169 posts

Sorry, can't agree with this one.

If a road is 3 lanes and merges into 2, there is no reason why people should merge early. It's a f*****g lane and its there for traffic, not decoration.

I hate approaching a long line of traffic in 2 lanes when there is close to 800m of merging lane sitting there empty. If you use the lane as it should be used, people look at you like you're jumping a queue, but you stay in the 2 lanes and wait forever, while all the lemmings ignore the 3rd lane that was built to carry f*****g cars on it!
03:50pm 15/11/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3627 posts
And all the people in that lane go into the second lane and slows everyone down even more, it only benefits the people that dart it. Those lanes are usually in areas which feature lots of trucks which ia when they can be used effectively.
03:53pm 15/11/12 Permalink
spidz
Brisbane, Queensland
11170 posts
how exactly does it slow people down by using the maximum amount of road space to accommodate all the cars?

If all those people weren't intent on not letting them in because they feel they 'jumped' the queue, then there would be no problem.
04:07pm 15/11/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3415 posts
Sorry, can't agree with this one.

If a road is 3 lanes and merges into 2, there is no reason why people should merge early. It's a f*****g lane and its there for traffic, not decoration.

I hate approaching a long line of traffic in 2 lanes when there is close to 800m of merging lane sitting there empty. If you use the lane as it should be used, people look at you like you're jumping a queue, but you stay in the 2 lanes and wait forever, while all the lemmings ignore the 3rd lane that was built to carry f*****g cars on it!

there is also no reason for leaving it till the last minute, it is best practice to pick a gap, and merge before the end

I really f*****g hate people that basically change into the merging lane to can all of a few spots, it causes agro, and tbh if you get a tyre iron to the head because you somehow think that doing the above makes it go faster, hahaha,

btw, if there is a hold up in two lane of traffic, using the third lane means that there are the same amount of cars moving thru the same bottle neck, but will more angry people
04:20pm 15/11/12 Permalink
Insom
Canada
4119 posts
for some reason spitting isn't as taboo here, i've even seen guys in suits spit on the footpath occasionally

gross
04:24pm 15/11/12 Permalink
Taipan
USA
3901 posts
I hate approaching a long line of traffic in 2 lanes when there is close to 800m of merging lane sitting there empty

Did it cross that tiny little mind of yours that perhaps it's empty because all the people that were in it have taken the opportunity to merge early thus safely and with as little inconvenience to other drivers?

If you use the lane as it should be used

The reality here is that there is signage warning people that the lane is coming to and end well before the end of the lane. This allows people the chance to merge well before the lane ends and more safely which IS whats suposed to happen otherwise the signs would be completely redundant.

people look at you like you're jumping a queue, but you stay in the 2 lanes and wait forever, while all the lemmings ignore the 3rd lane that was built to carry f*****g cars on it!

The only reason they'll be waiting for ever because f***wits will keep trying to cut in at the last possible second because aparently they are somehow more entitled than everyone else.

there is no reason why people should merge early

there is a couple of damn good reasons people should merge early and if you are clueless about them you shouldn't be on the f*****g road. 1) Gradually merging traffic has less tendancy to be all stop start thus follows more steadily and quickly through the bottle neck. 2) Merging smoothly as gaps open up in the affor mentioned free flowing traffic has far less potential for accidents. I can't believe I actually have to explain this to an adult?!?!

It's a f*****g lane and its there for traffic, not decoration.

while all the lemmings

It seems you think everyone on the road is an idiot except you and your self entitled sorry ass. You are a prime example of the kind of a****** that simply doesn't deserve to be on the roads. Get a clue dude the roads are for everyone and for them to function as well as possible we all have to be considerate of each other.

As for my original comment on merging it was actually about a******* that use merging lane to blast past you to pick up that all important extra car length when traffic is lite and not bumper to bumper. Traffic is flowing at the speed limit but busy enough that the moron can't make get anywhere any quicker so basically making a d*** of himself for nothing.
05:00pm 15/11/12 Permalink
Taipan
USA
3902 posts
I should of added that I am not talking about traffic that is banked up for hundreds and hundreds of meters. I am talking about traffic that is flowing reasonably albeit slightly slower than most of us would like.

If you have road works bottle necking a stretch of road then thats a different thing imho because backing up traffic in an area that usually doesn't have that issue causes issues elsewhere. Zipper merging as I have heard it called at road works is about the only decent way of getting anything moving in the entire area and requires that people use the lane thats been closed so as not to add more cars ect to the end of an already very long line.

05:41pm 15/11/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5434 posts
The people that study this stuff suggest that even though it tends to piss people off late merging is better for overall traffic flow for when traffic is congested and early merging is better when traffic is flowing. It's counter-intuitive obviously, because society often has a overwhelming desire to queue in a lot of scenarios.

Having said that though, from air-conditioned comfort I'll still give a death glare to anyone that zooms past and merges at the last second instead of being a bit more patient.
05:44pm 15/11/12 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
1255 posts
I should of added

No, you should HAVE added. Instead you chose to contribute to the downfall of civilised society.
05:52pm 15/11/12 Permalink
Taipan
USA
3903 posts
Yeah no kidding, f***ed if I know why I started doing that but thanks for picking me up on it.
06:10pm 15/11/12 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2863 posts
lol this thread has more than delivered from some b**** who is cranky at her kids all day
06:28pm 15/11/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3416 posts
you know, i reckon spidz is one of those people that hog the right lane, because they hate having to change lanes,

or my pet road peeve (as i drive to work at 3am) those that can see a car coming on an on-ramp, and refuse to either speed up/slow down to make a little room, or refuse to change lanes despite being the only other car for 500m

or those d**** that go to over take someone, then precede to sit in their 3/4 panel/blind spot preventing other from overtaking, and worse still, dont drop back if the car on the left comes to a point where they might overtake

edit>>> just read http://www.edmunds.com/driving-tips/car-merging-psychology-dont-hate-the-sidezoomer.html

and the case for is pretty weak, and un-founded, and math refutes it

only so many cars can fit thru a space at highway speed (and maintain safe distances), and using a similar but better way to describe it is thus,

merging is like pouring coke from a 2l bottle,
if you merge early it is like a tipping it in a fashion that the coke never touches both sides on the neck, the flow in smooth, and gentle, and doesn't create ripples in the glass (post merge point) or in the bottle itself

if you merge late, it is like just upending the bottle, it creates stress and flow problems, the glass will fill at roughly the same rate, but there is alot of ripples created, and the chance of spillage (crash) is increased,

you could go deeper and use the bubble as an example of the petrol use (smooth flow means less bubble lost, glugging is more bubbles lost)

in short, benefits merging early +'s
less fuel used, (smoother driving)
calming drivers,
more cars thru bottle necks
a higher overall speed
less chance of a crash (and less crashes means cheaper rego and insurance)

merging late -'s
you might get a red light,.............(really there are no tangible negatives)

merging late +'s
you might get there a little faster than the few cars you over took

merging late -'s
you might kill a motorcyclist
a motorcyclist might punch you for nearly killing him
not only will your fuel usage be higher, you'll be making others use more fuel, and using more fuel drives the price higher, therefore ruining it for everyone
higher crash risk (and crashes in these places creates massive bottle necks)
you'll look like a d***
06:30pm 15/11/12 Permalink
no you hang up
Brisbane, Queensland
2337 posts
Now i know why QLD roads are so bad. This thread explains all. Sounds like the best option is to go as slow as possible,
only use a roundabout if no-one is on it and dont ever use merge lanes to.......merge. lol.
06:45pm 15/11/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3628 posts
Ahh, I was reading it as one of those lanes that start just before lights and ends just after. Highway merge lanes if traffic is flowing I find a gap before the end, if it is bumper to bumper I'll go to the end unless someone lets me in(usually). Just before the gateway merge on the Pacific southbound where the t2 lane ends, people go from the t2 lane to the entry lane, then hoot past traffic on the hard shoulder and into the bus entry lane, saw one bloke almost smack into a bus doing that.

last edited by mental at 19:16:03 15/Nov/12
07:10pm 15/11/12 Permalink
Linker
Brisbane, Queensland
1692 posts
Did some of you people even read this thread? It's clearly stated on the TMR website (which was linked) that you only need to signal when exit left when going straight through a roundabout.
10:16pm 15/11/12 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
6236 posts
this thread is full of tears
10:26pm 15/11/12 Permalink
59fifty
Brisbane, Queensland
976 posts
People that get s***** at you for driving up the vacant lane and then merging, the lanes aren't there for decoration, f*****g use them.

Are you referring to Cars that scoot up a vacant lane that ends or is a turning lane and then try to push back into the main lanes when there is traffic?

F*** THAT S**** ME!!!
I can understand if you don't know the area.. but doing it in traffic and trying to sneak back in.. F*** NO
YOU ARE NOT MERGING INTO MY LANE.
It would be equal to pushing in line at the supermarket..

/rant
11:18pm 15/11/12 Permalink
59fifty
Brisbane, Queensland
977 posts
Taipan hit the nail on the head. Nice one.

Also. People that don't indicate when merging. F*** YOU.
11:23pm 15/11/12 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
8728 posts
I only rage when people have already merged; then they see the merging lane is free, jump into it to scoot up a 100m and re-merge.

All I can think is "duh f***wit, any of us could have done that, but if we all did s*** would hit the fan".

It's just downright rude and I actively try to block said people.
11:26pm 15/11/12 Permalink
BOOST
Brisbane, Queensland
520 posts
S***c**** who buy yappy little dogs and leave them in their yards alone for 10 hours a day to bark constantly. F*** YOU YAPPY LITTLE DOGS
10:42am 16/11/12 Permalink
spidz
Brisbane, Queensland
11171 posts
you know, i reckon spidz is one of those people that hog the right lane, because they hate having to change lanes,

Actually, no. I sit in the left lane on the freeway, and only change lanes to overtake. Amazingly, when I drive down a 4 lane free way, the 2 central lanes are always full of idiots who sit there and I just get a free ride up the slow lane doing the speedlimit. It's almost like people think they will catch a disease using the left lane.

It's so much better driving on the autobahns in Europe, because people actually know how to use a highway.

there is also no reason for leaving it till the last minute, it is best practice to pick a gap, and merge before the end

Totally agree.

I only rage when people have already merged; then they see the merging lane is free, jump into it to scoot up a 100m and re-merge.

Agree again.

What I'm talking about is where you have 3 lanes going one direction, and with sometimes over 1km worth of road still available in the left lane, people just sit in the two right hand lanes, in fact there are even traffic lights before the lane ends. They bank up at a red light right back for 500m+ and the left lane just sits there empty.

I don't actually usually use the left lane and merge late, because of the look of rage you get from other drivers - but it f*****g annoys me that people don't just use the lane, at least up to the lights at a minimum.

10:59am 16/11/12 Permalink
Herron
Brisbane, Queensland
152 posts
Same. Its the rule. Deal with it people. It turns a roundabout into a safety feature, which in nanny state Qld, makes sense. All the links in the world wont change this.

You were given the link to the rules from the Queensland government. They've been the same for a long time and are consistent at least in QLD, NSW, Vic. People's lack of understanding of such a basic rule is why roundabouts are so dangerous and unpredictable.

Not surprisingly, the rules just follow commonsense. Why would you indicate right if you're going straight-ahead? And it's not hard to indicate off a roundabout; it helps remove any doubt that the driver is going a certain direction so other drivers don't have to hesitate on approach.

What irks me? People who know better when the facts are presented to them in black and white.

Qld Roundabout rules can be found here http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/T/TrantOpRURR09.pdf on Page 116.

Only indicate right if you are going more than half-way around the roundabout. Indicate left when leaving if practical (i.e. you better have a good excuse for not doing it).
11:36am 16/11/12 Permalink
Taipan
USA
3904 posts
See Herron that just sounds like common sense to me so much so I can't imagine why there is even any question about it.

Something else that s**** me which has nothing to do with cars. I would like someone to explain to me why in gods name do some Dvd and pretty much all bluray movies seem to quiet when people in them are talking then the sound suddenly explodes when a bit of action takes place?

Am I doing something wrong, do I have something set up incorrectly? It s**** me to tears just like annoying as f*** ads that blast the s*** out of you.
12:03pm 16/11/12 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
8731 posts
I would like someone to explain to me why in gods name do some Dvd and pretty much all bluray movies seem to quiet when people in them are talking then the sound suddenly explodes when a bit of action takes place?
This pisses me off too, especially when I'm trying to watch it late at night and need to be super quiet... have to keep the remote in hand at all times.
12:05pm 16/11/12 Permalink
spidz
Brisbane, Queensland
11172 posts
Something else that s**** me which has nothing to do with cars. I would like someone to explain to me why in gods name do some Dvd and pretty much all bluray movies seem to quiet when people in them are talking then the sound suddenly explodes when a bit of action takes place?

Sweet mother of god, nothing f*****g annoys me more!

Sitting there watching a movie at home when kids are in bed, and its a constant rewind, blast volume to work out what the f*** they're saying, then quickly turn volume down before music or action starts and your eardrums are decimated.

My TV has a 'voice' setting, which improves this problem ever so slightly, but not enough to the point where I don't have to sit there mashing rewind and volume buttons.
12:40pm 16/11/12 Permalink
Herron
Brisbane, Queensland
153 posts
Am I doing something wrong, do I have something set up incorrectly? It s**** me to tears just like annoying as f*** ads that blast the s*** out of you.

If you're running surround sound then it could be the centre channel being set too low. If you're running stereo then make sure you're outputting the stereo signal and not DD or DTS.

The tone test should be consistent from all channels when in a usual seating position.
02:11pm 16/11/12 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1004 posts
95% of peoples problems in this thread could be fixed with a crossbow... just sayin'
03:19pm 16/11/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36576 posts
. Amazingly, when I drive down a 4 lane free way, the 2 central lanes are always full of idiots who sit there and I just get a free ride up the slow lane doing the speedlimit. It's almost like people think they will catch a disease using the left lane.
haha I see this all the time driving to the gold coast. It's like the left lane is cursed.
03:32pm 16/11/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3418 posts
well i take back some of the rage i had for spidz
03:40pm 16/11/12 Permalink
Taipan
USA
3906 posts
Ditto
04:17pm 16/11/12 Permalink
SquashedDuck
Brisbane, Queensland
22 posts
What irks me is my friend who continuously uses the "Overdrive Disable" switch in his car driving round Brisbane streets. Not once and a while, but off for a few seconds and on for a few seconds.

Sometimes it will be less than 2 seconds.

His hand spends more time on the gear stick than the wheel.
04:53pm 16/11/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5438 posts
Sitting there watching a movie at home when kids are in bed, and its a constant rewind, blast volume to work out what the f*** they're saying, then quickly turn volume down before music or action starts and your eardrums are decimated.

No Country For Old Men is nasty for this. There's a scene right at the end there's a long period of almost silence and then BOOM! out of nowhere. Watching it at 1am I'd thought the sound system had died so I was fiddling with the volume control to check and the people sleeping in the next room weren't happy :/
05:05pm 16/11/12 Permalink
Slappercx
Brisbane, Queensland
1966 posts
Cyclist's in a morning, harshing my buzz, holding up traffic looking homo in their lycra and sipping latte. :@ god dam tennyson is bad for them.
05:09pm 16/11/12 Permalink
Jimbo
Brisbane, Queensland
896 posts
Guys trying to jump in front when the lane is ending really gets me.

Gov's hill is especially bad when there is traffic, so I just pull out at 45 degrees to completely block them. Almost started a few fights that way haha
06:32pm 16/11/12 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
4832 posts
People who cant follow lanes when there arent lines across intersections.
Guy in middle lane in front of me takes off from lights straight to right lane, as i come up beside him he realises what he has done and starts moving towards me, i beep, he swerves back then beeps at me.

Also people who think hazard lights are a license to do whatever the f*** they want, taxis are a big one for this, but the other day i saw some guy in front of me doing 60 in a 90 with hazard lights on, as i pass and look left I see he is reading a book or something on his steering wheel. (probably a refidex)

Also ive seen a cop do the indicate right when leaving a roundabout once, so yeah...
06:58pm 16/11/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17498 posts
people driving under the speed limit for no logical reason at all

is my number 1 driving irritation
07:15pm 16/11/12 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
994 posts
This thread is pretty much hardass drivers rage thread. Never knew this forum was full of people who think they own the road lol.
08:23pm 16/11/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3420 posts
This thread is pretty much hardass drivers rage thread. Never knew this forum was full of people who think they own the road lol.

pay rego/taxs/rates = owns the road
08:29pm 16/11/12 Permalink
f**les
Brisbane, Queensland
6064 posts
chicks who in another room call your name until you arrive and then ask you what you're doing, ask to get them a drink or some other unimportant thing.

chicks who go on about some earth saving thing like recycling but as they walk in the house turn on every light in the house..

People who drive in the right hand lane but don't need to, holding up other people. inconsiderate people in general.
08:44pm 16/11/12 Permalink
Nitro
Gold Coast, Queensland
2221 posts
1. Slow f**** in the right lane
2. People who don't know basic geography
3. People with poor knowledge of history that give their opinion on world affairs
4. Anyone that participated in the 99% demonstrations
5. People that work in IT but can't change a stick of RAM or setup a router
6. Women that think they should be paid the same as men when they present a greater financial risk to their employer.
7. Bulls******s
8. Steve Ballmer
9. "Still or sparkling?"
10. Fairies doing bicep curls in the squat rack or just taking too long.
11. Reductionist decision makers
11:56pm 16/11/12 Permalink
Taipan
USA
3908 posts
Women that get on the "women should be allowed to serve in the front line" bandwagon while they themselves would never in a million years even entertain the thought of joining the army. Of course they only even give a f*** because someone said they cant and they really dont give a s*** what effects it may have.

Hey GI Jane could do it and .... well...umm you know Storm from Xmen kicks ass right?
03:10am 17/11/12 Permalink
spidz
Brisbane, Queensland
11173 posts
i thought of one on Saturday nmorning when I was doing the lawn.

The f*****g line in the whipper snipper.

Why does it always break/shorten when you're 80% done and looking forward to a rewarding beer?

Why is it so complicated to then get more line?

I even went and bought a new one about a year ago, that has an auto line feeder and you're supposed to just bump it on the ground and it gives you more line, but its about as simple as f*****g complex physics.
10:50am 19/11/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6217 posts
You bump it on like a paved edging or walkway or something solid so it actually does the release rather than just be absorbed by the grass... it's not that complex.. winding a new one sucks.
11:25am 19/11/12 Permalink
spidz
Brisbane, Queensland
11174 posts
I know that, but it doesn't always work.

Then you end up having to re-wind it and its a nightmare
12:59pm 19/11/12 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2869 posts
Bump, more like smack the f*** out of something with it, or at least that's mine
02:50pm 19/11/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3421 posts
you know, one thing after all the rain that irk-ed me was that people just dont understand that headlights are not only used at night, but also to let other people see you in poor weather
03:20pm 19/11/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8314 posts

The f*****g line in the whipper snipper.

Go buy a brush cutter instead, no stupid spools of wire. Just a single piece of wire that DESTROYS ALL THAT GETS IN ITS WAY.
03:21pm 19/11/12 Permalink
Herron
Brisbane, Queensland
154 posts
I know that, but it doesn't always work. Then you end up having to re-wind it and its a nightmare

Well it won't auto-spool if you don't wind it on properly in the first place. Push the wire through the guides and twist (stihl's). How can that go wrong? :p If that's not working then you're probably using the wrong gauge wire. Make sure it has some power when you push it against the ground.
03:53pm 19/11/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21795 posts
1. Slow f**** in the right lane
2. People who don't know basic geography
3. People with poor knowledge of history that give their opinion on world affairs
4. Anyone that participated in the 99% demonstrations
5. People that work in IT but can't change a stick of RAM or setup a router
6. Women that think they should be paid the same as men when they present a greater financial risk to their employer.
7. Bulls******s
8. Steve Ballmer
9. "Still or sparkling?"
10. Fairies doing bicep curls in the squat rack or just taking too long.
11. Reductionist decision makers
libertarianism.txt
04:24pm 19/11/12 Permalink
Zen Apathy
Brisbane, Queensland
3639 posts
- People who slow down across level crossings.
- Level crossings.
- People who don't do the speed limit in zones above 60 then speed in 60 zones.
10:10pm 19/11/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16215 posts
whingers
10:28pm 19/11/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:28pm 19/11/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.