We five mobile gaming packs to giveaway that include a Sony Xperia Z3, a PS4, a mount for your Dualshock controller and a pop-up gaming tent!
Sony Xperia Z3 Mobile Gaming Giveaway Featuring a PS4!
AusGamers presents a hands-on report of the third major game in the 'World of' series from Wargaming, World of Tanks.
World of Warships Hands-On Preview
We take a look at the latest mobile gaming setup from GAEMS to see just how useful it is.
Tech Tuesday - GAEMS Vanguard Black Edition Review
We chat with 343 Industries about Halo 5: Guardians and the upcoming multiplayer beta!
343 Industries Talks Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta
Getting a job in web development?
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1213 posts
So I've noticed a few web developers on here, I'm trying to break into web development as a career and am curious as to how everyone on here got their jobs in web development?

I'm applying for jobs online at the moment, trying to apply for ones which I know I can do, I'm not expecting much in terms of salary, I just want a web development job.
03:38pm 08/11/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:38pm 08/11/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7489 posts
Be ready to show examples of what you've done.
03:42pm 08/11/12 Permalink
Mantis
Brisbane, Queensland
1015 posts
Try as many languages on as many platforms and OSes as you can. Just setup simple websites showing you understand the core parts of using the language or that platform for Web Development ans website hosting.

If an employer can see you can do the work in a variety of situations, it shows you will have no trouble with future languges/platforms.

Obviously for the more common like ASP.NET, do something a bit more complex.

If you are tying to get into the UI/Graphical side of Web Development, focus on clear/elegant layouts and visuals. If you want to focus more on back-end, do some well structured class/DB systems and show the employer a nice overview of what you have done.

As said, have some good examples of your work that they can easily see and play around with.

Also, from my experience, add some funky/cool UI effects to give the employer a "wow" moment. But don't go overboard on things flying around the screen everywhere.

Just make it very clear that you can do the job no matter what is thrown at you, and that you can do it in a well thought out, well structured and polished way. With the end result being a simple but solid website that looks nice and is easy to use.

Anyways, thats my 2 cents. Been doing this for 12 years in the workforce and probably 20 years in a personal sense (QBASIC FTW!)
03:52pm 08/11/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8302 posts
There's plenty of jobs that make up "web develpoment" - what are you interested in doing?
03:57pm 08/11/12 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1214 posts
Thanks for the replies so far. I'm interested in front end development, HTML, CSS and JQuery stuff, I also enjoy using CMS's. At this rate I'm just trying to land a position / foot in the door. I don't care much about the pay, I just want to get in and start learning as much as I possibly can.
04:00pm 08/11/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8303 posts
Put together your own site with a portfolio of bits and pieces you can do. Make it stand out as that's what will sell you and your skills more than a resume ever will. Once you've done that, PM me and I'll ask some friends if they have any positions opening up.
04:05pm 08/11/12 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1215 posts
I've got a portfolio, it's not brilliant but it does show what I can do. I'll shoot you a pm.
04:08pm 08/11/12 Permalink
Inept
Brisbane, Queensland
118 posts
I see you're in Melbourne, that's a shame - my work is looking for a junior web developer right now. You've got a portfolio, that's a step above most people applying for those positions (at least the ones that have graced my inbox over the last month).
07:25pm 08/11/12 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5645 posts
I see you're in Melbourne, that's a shame - my work is looking for a junior web developer right now. You've got a portfolio, that's a step above most people applying for those positions (at least the ones that have graced my inbox over the last month).
Take no offense to this.....you are looking for a Web Dev and can't grasp the concept that a decent web dev doesn't have to be in the office what the hell is wrong with you?
10:21pm 08/11/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10437 posts
well he did say junior, not decent
10:31pm 08/11/12 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9761 posts
can you speak and write another language other than English?

just asking..
01:33am 09/11/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5414 posts
a decent web dev doesn't have to be in the office

That's true, but chances are any web dev that isn't in the office is going to be indecent.
01:50am 09/11/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:50am 09/11/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.