We take a look at Ubisoft's next iteration in the Far Cry universe to see just what is on offer
Badger Badger Badger - Far Cry 4 Reviewed
We chat with Blizzard RTS veteran Allen Dilling on the past, present and future of StarCraft!
StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Developer Interview
The first expansion for Company of Heroes 2 has landed. How does one attack Adrennes Assault? Read our review to find out!
Company of Heroes 2: Adrennes Assault Review
Ceiling fan install pricing guide help
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
2541 posts
hey team,
a few leckys on here from memory.

thinking about adding 4 ceiling fans and was wondering on a rough price for labour and parts if i buy the fans. would be 1 with light and 3 standard if that makes a diff. single story brick house good roof access.

any more info needed?

thx my lovelys!
09:38pm 21/11/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:38pm 21/11/11 Permalink
Exibus
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
139 posts
"If there is already a junction box with wires in the ceiling, a typical installation is around $65 to $85.

Add an additional $35 if the junction box in the ceiling needs to be reinforced with a 2 x 4 or fan brace.

If there is an an attic and you need wires run and a junction box installed, expect to pay about $150-$200 for the wiring alone, plus the cost of installing the fan (depending on the complexity of running the wires).

If there is no attic and no wires (first floor of 2 story home, or vaulted ceiling), expect to pay as much as $250-$350 for the wiring alone, plus the cost of installing the fan (depending on the complexity of running the wires).

If you want the fan wired to a wall switch as well, you can probably add about $75 more for that service, unless the wiring to the ceiling is being pulled from the switch on the wall."
09:56pm 21/11/11 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
2543 posts
single story brick house good roof access.

no attic.

there is a junction box in the ceiling, how many do you need though?

and yes i want a wall switch. how else do i run the fans?
10:30pm 21/11/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1387 posts
"If there is already a junction box with wires in the ceiling, a typical installation is around $65 to $85.

Add an additional $35 if the junction box in the ceiling needs to be reinforced with a 2 x 4 or fan brace.

If there is an an attic and you need wires run and a junction box installed, expect to pay about $150-$200 for the wiring alone, plus the cost of installing the fan (depending on the complexity of running the wires).

If there is no attic and no wires (first floor of 2 story home, or vaulted ceiling), expect to pay as much as $250-$350 for the wiring alone, plus the cost of installing the fan (depending on the complexity of running the wires).

If you want the fan wired to a wall switch as well, you can probably add about $75 more for that service, unless the wiring to the ceiling is being pulled from the switch on the wall."

No.

Couple of questions.
Are they in place of existing fittings?
Are they in bedrooms?
Are they remote controlled or wired{actual switch on the wall}

A decent fan will set you back $80-$150 depending on finish, light, material.
DO NOT go for elcheapo bunnings fan, I have installed about 30 of these fans and I had to pull them down as they loose balance about 2 weeks after you put them in. It got to the stage that when quoting jobs my boss would ask what fans they were, he would tell the customer to take back any bunnings gear and go to Lighting Illusions.

When we supplied fans, we used Lighting Illsuions, (at trade price )
Our most popular installation was the Martec Cyclones.
Great fans $120 RRP. and come with 5 year warranty.

http://www.lightingillusions.com.au/shop/24/101/cyclone-series-2-white-ceiling-fan
+ Light kit http://www.lightingillusions.com.au/shop/27/383/precision-cyclone-ceiling-fan-light-kit
(You can get universal light kits but they are not always universal and its a good idea to stick to the same brand.
------------------------------------------------------------------
If the fan is in place of an existing light , easy.
A piece of wood is screwed into the roof .
You already have the cable there for the light which can be used for the fan and the control knob can be added to the existing plate.

If it was me(my old work)

You would be looking at:
$150 per fan (fan supplied by sparky)
$80 per fan (supplied by you)
(no callout fee if southside)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the fan is a new installation
(No previous fan or light)

A cable needs to be run from the closest light switch to pick up a feed.
This can vary on length of run.
Most sparky's charge $2.50-$3.00 per meter of cable.
You should not be looking at any more then 4m if its a bedroom. This can vary
[1.5m up the wall, 2m across to fan, .5m at the fan to fit off]

a new switch plate depending on how many light switches are currently there as you will need a gang slot for your speed control.

Also, if you have down lights, don't go whack a fan in if the fans diameter is going to overlap the light. When you have the downlights and fan on at the same time, it will flicker and you will have an unwanted rave.

hope this helps.

Second year apprentice.

Exhibus please don't comment on stuff you obviously have nfi about.
And if you do claim to know anything about electrical I highly recommend a switch of industry.

There are old Electricians and Dodgy Electricians, But there are no Old Dodgy Electricians.
11:33pm 21/11/11 Permalink
Denominator
Brisbane, Queensland
899 posts
I agree with Timmeh

Exibus shouldn't post

There are old Electricians and Dodgy Electricians, But there are no Old Dodgy Electricians

not true you obviously have never worked in the maintenance side of the industry.

I had to pull them down as they loose balance about 2 weeks after you put them in

No you can just balance them or didn't they teach you that at tafe, this is what those little weights are for in the box.
01:34am 22/11/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1389 posts
I agree with Timmeh

Exibus shouldn't post

No you can just balance them or didn't they teach you that at tafe, this is what those little weights are for in the box.

Yes even with the balancing weights the bunnings fans still would be unstable
08:34am 22/11/11 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8077 posts
and yes i want a wall switch. how else do i run the fans?

I think some fans have wireless remotes now.

There are old Electricians and Dodgy Electricians, But there are no Old Dodgy Electricians.

Is that cause the dodgy ones died one the job before they got old?

Edit: it appears I was correct:
http://www.lightingillusions.com.au/shop/96/6409/stainless-steel-ceiling-fan-with-remote-control

last edited by mission at 08:40:53 22/Nov/11

last edited by mission at 08:41:19 22/Nov/11
08:36am 22/11/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1390 posts
Is that cause the dodgy ones died one the job before they got old
last edited by mission at 08:40:53 22/Nov/11last edited by mission at 08:41:19 22/Nov/11

have a sticker
09:26am 22/11/11 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
9811 posts
fans lol
aircon or nothing
09:58am 22/11/11 Permalink
orbitor
Brisbane, Queensland
8714 posts
fans are great, no point running an AC when a fan does the job. unless you're a d*******, of course.
10:15am 22/11/11 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
9815 posts
yeah cos a fan does the same job as aircon
d*******
10:17am 22/11/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1391 posts
Fans are cheaper to run .
10:19am 22/11/11 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
11934 posts
Are timber blades quieter then stainless steel or plastic blades?
10:22am 22/11/11 Permalink
Outlaw
Gold Coast, Queensland
852 posts
Whats the price differ between installing a bunch of ceiling fans and installing an air con?
11:03am 22/11/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1392 posts
Are timber blades quieter then stainless steel or plastic blades?

The noise difference isnt substantial but timber is normaly quiter depending on the quality of the fan

Whats the price differ between installing a bunch of ceiling fans and installing an air con?

I think scooby would be the best to answer that.
11:12am 22/11/11 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
11990 posts
you can get a full split system aircon under a grand installed easily these days, depending on the size of the unit & area to be cooled, of course

i wouldn't waste my time with fans in qld, the humidity here means you either have your doors/windows open for a breeze, or use aircon

aircon or bust!
01:06pm 22/11/11 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5148 posts
My brother has a small movable dehumidifier up in his house in Cairns and it makes such a massive f*****g difference. No fans or anything, just the unit, it's awesome.

I have Aircon in the Bedroom and at the height of summer I'll run it for ~1hr before or just as I go to bed.
Have some portable Stand fans in the living area that I'll turn on when it's hot as well. With the windows open we get a decent cross breeze so it never really gets excessivly hot... well not for me. Hotter out in the field... I need a portable Air-Con suit.
01:12pm 22/11/11 Permalink
orbitor
Brisbane, Queensland
8715 posts
d*******

so you admit they do a different job, then in response to the OP asking about fans, you suggest AC. huh.
01:20pm 22/11/11 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2238 posts
Fans are cheaper to run .
Depends on how you look at it. If you are comparing like to like then you are only comparing the A/C on fan only which would use no more than a ceiling fan (it'd actually use a little bit more since smaller fans have to spin at a higher speed to provide the same effect but the difference wouldn't be worth mentioning).

Comparing a fan to the effect of an A/C on cooling or heating is pointless since a fan just blows hot air around and an A/C provides an actual useful function. One is a waste of power the other while it may use more power, it is actually doing something useful.

Essentially if you want to spend a lot of money having something ugly and pointless hang from your ceiling then get a fan.
01:22pm 22/11/11 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
9821 posts
yep, quite right. i suggest that the desired outcome the OP wishes to achieve will not be met by the almost useless ceiling fans.

I purport that the OP wishes to actually provide himself with a habitable environment despite the queensland humidity, and that for the price of supply + install of 4 ceiling fans that he'd be in aircon territory price-wise. Nevermind the fact that single story brick homes in qld tend to have the lowest possible ceilings, of which don't make a good mix when combined with ceiling fans and putting on shirts etc.

So yes, i did suggest aircon, because I looked past the OP's question and tried to decipher what outcome he really wanted, not the solution he was asking after.

huh.
01:26pm 22/11/11 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5152 posts
Or, if you're not a sissy and only want to circulate air that might otherwise become stale, you could save a d***load of power and use something designed for that very function.

Also, If you have a MASSIVE living area with heaps and heaps of Glass (Door, Windows... or a big F*** OFF HUGE feature window) maybe, just maybe, spending 10x your usual electricity bill to cool it might be a little inefficient, where a fan would also provide comfort at a mear fraction of the cost.

Not everyone lives in little box homes where you can shut off a door and aircon a small room. Some of us own big houses, with big areas.
01:31pm 22/11/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1393 posts
We have 1 air con in our house in the living area . Each room has a fan . Our house is very long so we get a cool breeze through the house , the fans circulate that breeze through the house.

We hardly ever use the air con . And when we do it is set to about 21'
02:02pm 22/11/11 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
11992 posts
I have an 8kW unit cooling my main living area, its actually too big for the area so it cools the entire house with ease
we whack it on 24 degrees and let it go, it just idles along most of the day and even goes strong on 38+ degree summer days

I'm fine paying $600/qtr for all my electricity needs when it means I get to live in comfort, I don't really give it much thought
it's like filling up your fuel tank an extra 6 times every 3 months, except it makes such a huge difference to my families overall comfort
02:06pm 22/11/11 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
1681 posts
I have a tall arse ceiling in the lounge room plus an entertainment area at the back and a shade at the front so I can get by with just a fan, and the windows open, yay for an older house where they thought about summer heat and not just stick an aircon in, she'll be right.
02:10pm 22/11/11 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
11337 posts
Ceiling fans are awesome unless you are some sort of limp pansy who can't take a little bit of heat.

We only run aircon in the bedrooms late at night before bed.
02:22pm 22/11/11 Permalink
Outlaw
Gold Coast, Queensland
855 posts
fans are not going to cool your ps3/xbox/pc/tv either, which all run better cool.

tbh, its what ever your preference is, and your SITUATION.
02:23pm 22/11/11 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5157 posts
I think it comes down a lot more on the situation and size.
If you have a small enough house to be cooled by a single 8kw Air-con, thats awesome, for you.

Also, Brisbane doesn't really get super hot in the shade or at night with a nice breeze. If you're overheating you should probably lose some weight.
02:26pm 22/11/11 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
11338 posts
How does my TV run better cool?! Are there extra frames or something?

Aircon is on in computer room when its in use because the f*****g PC is a heater.

Also our aircon requirements dropped dramatically after we got the insulation from old mate Rudd.
02:26pm 22/11/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
33540 posts
i have fans and aircons in my house because im that ballin

i love having the fans on and the doors and windows open on a summer day

sometimes when it gets too hot though, ill close up the house and allow petal to have the aircons on.

so, best solution: both.
02:31pm 22/11/11 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
11339 posts
#winning
02:43pm 22/11/11 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2239 posts
How does my TV run better cool?! Are there extra frames or something?
Not sure about your TV but mine puts out a bit of heat. Heat will always shorten the life of electronics but more importantly it can make the room hot and uncomfortable if you have the windows closed during movie or game sessions because you are a considerate neighbour. I don't need the heater going in winter if I have the TV on :P

If your house is "too big" for aircon then I have no idea what you are living in. Bunnings have aircon for f*** sake.
02:53pm 22/11/11 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8078 posts
Signing in to say fans are gay. AC or the highway baby. Stupid things spinning around.

But mainly cause we have fancy ornate ceilings in most rooms so I don't want teh ugly fan from the ceiling, also s*** hanging from the ceiling makes the room feel smaller.
03:01pm 22/11/11 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
11936 posts
Also the type of fan (blades, clearance, all that) will have an impact on to how efficient that fan works. I've seen some fans where you turn it on full and you barely feel any air move. I've also seen noobs have their fans set on 'winter' mode running on max during summer..
03:05pm 22/11/11 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
4862 posts
d*******

No but the body is built to lower it's own tempreature, but the walls of a house stop it from naturally happening (air movement) so instead adding a fan allows the body to lower it's tempreature.

A air conditioner also allows the body to lower it's tempreature.

ALA: yes they do the same thing.
04:05pm 22/11/11 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
9823 posts
If you have a small enough house to be cooled by a single 8kw Air-con, thats awesome, for you.

If you have a house so big that it couldn't be cooled by an 8kw aircon, then you'd obviously have ducted because you're so unbelievably rich.

Either that or your house is a gigantic shanty
04:19pm 22/11/11 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
9824 posts
oh and skythra, here's a tip: i couldn't give a s*** about the heat. i'll happily be in 30deg, i don't mind
its the dehumidification qualities of an airconditioner that sets it apart from those useless bladed things uglifying peoples ceilings
04:21pm 22/11/11 Permalink
orbitor
Brisbane, Queensland
8716 posts
the best solution is to have fans AND AC since they do different things. Fans mix air in rooms because you get areas of hotter or colder air in virtually all rooms. And moving air makes you cooler due to convective heat loss. Otherwise known as wind chill. Perhaps you haven't noticed that standing in a breeze on a hot day makes you feel cooler.

This is why you'll see green buildings often having fans and AC now. You can achieve the same comfort with less AC energy with the fans going.

For all you know the OP might already have AC. Or he might just need a tiny bit of extra cooling.
05:03pm 22/11/11 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
11342 posts
You can take your reasonable attitude and shove it up your arse orbs, this thread is fans vs aircon and if you're not with us you're against us!
05:06pm 22/11/11 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
20207 posts
Ducted and fans is how I roll yo

Baller
05:25pm 22/11/11 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
6574 posts
i have a ceiling fan in my bedroom atm... but i wish i had ac :( then i see the quote for the ac & realise that the ceiling fan does the job adequately. even if i do cave in this summer n get ac i'll just get a window rattler... noise doesn't bother me & it's a quarter of the cost.
05:39pm 22/11/11 Permalink
Jc_23
Brisbane, Queensland
111 posts
I have ceiling fans in my unit which is pretty big, they seem to go ok. The one I use in my bedroom though is quite ill of late and is making a horrible noise, which annoys me because the place is under 10 years old. I spend most nights crying myself to sleep anticipating a mid-night decapitation. Fixy fixy. :( :)
05:51pm 22/11/11 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
11344 posts
If you get decapitated, can I have your stuff?
05:55pm 22/11/11 Permalink
funky
Brisbane, Queensland
1428 posts
yeah i put my hand into my ceiling fan the other night :(

my house is a bit of a hotbox when i get home from work, but open everything up and stick a fan on and good to go shortly after that. get a pretty good breeze. previous place didn't even have ceiling fans, but before that i was in ducted which was awesome
05:58pm 22/11/11 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
1622 posts
meh, fans dont hurt that much, man up,

till you get stitches because of it, you should have no fear!!!!!

hoggy, it is unlikely that you'll be decapitated, if the blades of the fan are spinning at a speed that could "take your head off" it is unlikely that you'll manage to get your head through, unless you have the speed of the flash
06:12pm 22/11/11 Permalink
Jc_23
Brisbane, Queensland
112 posts
If you get decapitated, can I have your stuff?

You may! If I were to be around post-decapitation though and you were to forward another request for my property and to profit from my horrible and untimely death you should be more polite though. :)
06:17pm 22/11/11 Permalink
sCOOBY
Brisbane, Queensland
4339 posts
clean your filters dudes

+ talk to acetame for the ceiling fan http://www.fuselec.com.au/
07:01pm 22/11/11 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
2544 posts
wow!....leave a thread alone for a day and the fans v a/c war breaks out. getting like pc v mac, and plasma v lcd.

thanks timmeh - good break down. to answer some of your questions, 1 fan will replace a light, the rest will sit between down lights, but i am pretty sure there is a wide enough space to avoid the rave party situation, but good tip, i didn't even think of that one, i will check.
yes i want wall controls.

for the rest - yes we have a/c in main living area, does a good job and gets through the whole house to a respectable level when required. and fans in all bedrooms and my games room.

however I'm in the spook/hoggy/orbs school.

i have fans and aircons in my house because im that ballin i love having the fans on and the doors and windows open on a summer day sometimes when it gets too hot though, ill close up the house and allow petal to have the aircons on. so, best solution: both.

i also like both and had them in other houses so when i don't want the whole house shut up but need that little bit of circulation, my fans come to the rescue.

so thanks all for the feedback, carry on the war!
07:40pm 22/11/11 Permalink
Exibus
142 posts
Just quoting, don't be hating.
07:41pm 22/11/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1396 posts
Just quoting, don't be hating.

you weren't quoting you just pulled random numbers out of your arse and added some vague electrical terms.

thanks timmeh - good break down. to answer some of your questions, 1 fan will replace a light, the rest will sit between down lights, but i am pretty sure there is a wide enough space to avoid the rave party situation, but good tip, i didn't even think of that one, i will check.
yes i want wall controls.

No problem, it helps to know what your talking about.
And yeah you would be amazed at how many people complain about the light flickering when the fan is on.
Common sense people!
07:51pm 22/11/11 Permalink
Exibus
143 posts
you weren't quoting you just pulled random numbers out of your arse and added some vague electrical terms.

http://ceilingfans.hansenwholesale.com/?cat=11

http://i40.tinypic.com/23rn97m.gif
07:59pm 22/11/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1399 posts
are you a f*****g retard?

06/22/07 was when that article was written.
Hansen Wholesale 11132 Winners Circle Suite 100, Los Alamitos, CA 9072 is the location.

this article/website is completely irrelevant except that the words ceiling and fan are included.

F***
Off
Idiot.
08:15pm 22/11/11 Permalink
Exibus
144 posts
Sorry forgot when the year is 2007 it's no longer a quote- Just provided some info, calm down a bit eh'?
08:36pm 22/11/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1405 posts
Sorry forgot when the year is 2007 it's no longer a quote- Just provided some info, calm down a bit eh'?

L2forum.
08:48pm 22/11/11 Permalink
Exibus
145 posts
L2forum.

http://i40.tinypic.com/25g52li.jpg

Likes a good cuddle from asian men in clubs, wears pedobear costume to hide identity around sluts, supercool keyboard warrior.

L2 Life

"F***
Off
Idiot."
08:55pm 22/11/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1406 posts
haha LOL
Clearly not me, any of them.
They are friends though.
08:56pm 22/11/11 Permalink
Exibus
146 posts
makes me wonder why your friends have video's of you dancing around in a costume; either way i'm sure you don't differ much from the "friends" in provided pic- could dig further if i really wanted to but then i remembered this is a thread about a ceiling fan and i have work in the morning, ciao ಠ_ಠ
09:06pm 22/11/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1407 posts
makes me wonder why your friends have video's of you dancing around in a costume; either way i'm sure you don't differ much from the "friends" in provided pic- could dig further if i really wanted to but then i remembered this is a thread about a ceiling fan and i have work in the morning, ciao ಠ_ಠ

The reason for the video, since you have gone into another thread to extract such info is quite clear.
Halloween Party.
I have nothing to hide mate.
Your judging people I know, who are great blokes based on a staggered drunk pic froma good night out.

I think you are the on who needs a life, instead of going through "unrelated material" searching for Troll fuel.
First you need a engine.
happy days
09:18pm 22/11/11 Permalink
Exibus
147 posts
yep, happy days
09:21pm 22/11/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:21pm 22/11/11 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.