Bethesda tells us why ANZ will be first to Battlecry's beta!
Battlecry Beta First in ANZ!
We check out the fast-paced third-person Xbox One exclusive Sunset Overdrive to see just what it has in store.
Sunset Overdrive Reviewed
We take a look at Firaxis' sci-fi take on the Civ universe
Civilization: Beyond Earth Reviewed
We sit down with Blizzard's Ion Hazzikostas to talk all things World of Warcraft, including upcoming expansion Warlords of Draenor.
Talking Draenor with Ion Hazzikostas
Sexy looking Electric Cars
Mantis
Brisbane, Queensland
717 posts
Good to see some of the new electric cars (production and concept) are actually starting to look good and are working their way into the market.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/09/rimac-concept-one-2011-09-13-600-7.jpg
Concept One by Rimac Automobili.
1,088 horsepower split between 4 motors (for better cornering) and 0-62MPH in 2.8seconds. Range of 600km.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/09/bmw-i-cars2011-09-13-800-1.jpg
New BMW.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-el1j__faZEM/TjtuoXEin1I/AAAAAAAABFE/7ypPqPJzCMA/s1600/Fisker Wallpapers_2.jpg
Fisker

http://mergenchuluun.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/tesla-roadster-sport.jpg
Tesla Roadster Sport.
09:11am 14/09/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:11am 14/09/11 Permalink
Sip
Brisbane, Queensland
419 posts
Would be cool to see these babies in action. Personally can't wait for the day when I'm driving along in the city and open my window and not get a mouthful of pollution.

I also had a nerdy idea, with these electric cars they make far less noise then conventional motors? if So I was thinking of an external speaker that has sounds effects from like star wars, so when you accelerate really hard it makes sound like the speed racers, or you could have an internal controller to change the sound effects from custom made ones to ones from games/movies. Pretty nerdy idea but I'm sure someone would pay for that :p
09:15am 14/09/11 Permalink
ScrotumPhantom
Brisbane, Queensland
69 posts
Its such a shame that electric cars will not be a viable alternative for a long time to come.
09:27am 14/09/11 Permalink
Jim
Ireland
12403 posts
they're already viable for plenty of people
09:28am 14/09/11 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
1317 posts
http://cdn.nitrobahn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/JAGUAR_C-X75_Concept-600x423.jpg

I like the look of this one, though it would look a hell of a lot better in any colour except grey.
09:31am 14/09/11 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
10683 posts

Fo sho.
09:32am 14/09/11 Permalink
ScrotumPhantom
Brisbane, Queensland
70 posts

surely only for people that use there car very little and have time to charge the batteries.
09:34am 14/09/11 Permalink
sparrow
Brisbane, Queensland
1587 posts
That BMW looks sweet
09:37am 14/09/11 Permalink
Jim
Ireland
12404 posts
surely only for people that use there car very little and have time to charge the batteries.

for anyone with typical city/suburb driving habits who parks their car in reach of a power socket overnight. the nissan leaf for example has been on sale here in the UK alongside all the other small cars that are massively popular over here, since early this year
09:52am 14/09/11 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
34536 posts
or people that commute less than ~100km a day... which is most people

This was spotted just around the corner from my hotel when I was in Oslo, Norway recently - electric car plugged in at a recharging station. I forgot to look out for more of them when I was wandering around unfortunately, and the text/instructions on the recharging station were obviously all in Norwegian so I couldn't figure out how much they cost or whatever. I don't recall seeing any obvious payment mechanisms in there though... maybe it was free!

http://trog.qgl.org/up/1109/electric_car_norway.jpg
09:56am 14/09/11 Permalink
fade
Brisbane, Queensland
6858 posts
Thread title is an oxymoron.
10:04am 14/09/11 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
1318 posts
http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-10465957-54.html

The country's top technology university on Tuesday unveiled a new electric transport powered by recharging strips embedded in roads that transfer energy through magnetic connections. There are no direct connections with wires.

I like this idea, I've also read somewhere about similar tech that generates the electricity from the forces applied by the vehicles rolling over them and then using that energy to charge the next vehicle.
10:05am 14/09/11 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
88 posts
The new BMW i8 is the sexiest car out! it's something like 360~HP if I remember correctly, hybrid electric/1.3L diesel... shame its going to be out of EVERYONE'S price range lol...

http://performancedrive.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/BMW-i8-concept-49-630x391.jpg
10:08am 14/09/11 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
89 posts
also, the BMW i8 has actually been green lit for production with some minor change... I think I might have to start selling my organs to own one.
10:13am 14/09/11 Permalink
ScrotumPhantom
Brisbane, Queensland
71 posts
if you ever need to go anywhere long distance than you would be f***ed i couldnt possibly by a car with the knoledge that i could never drive it a long distance like going down to byron for the day or driving to sydney. the problem is that when the batteries run dry they take a long time time to charge compared to five minutes to put petrol in your car. i will agree that hybrids are a viable alternative to purely petrol powered cars but until a more advanced battery technology is invented electric cars will not be viable.
10:15am 14/09/11 Permalink
Jim
Ireland
12405 posts
so you mean that they're not viable for long distance trips. making the blanket statement "they're not viable" doens't make sense, because for plenty of people, they are completely viable.
10:22am 14/09/11 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
4887 posts
I fully support the further development of Electric cars. Means more gas guzzling goodness for me :)
10:23am 14/09/11 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
8209 posts
They're not viable because they don't f***en sell them anywhere
10:25am 14/09/11 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
15108 posts
i'll keep my turbo sp00l
10:27am 14/09/11 Permalink
ScrotumPhantom
Brisbane, Queensland
72 posts
i couldnt justify buying a car knowing that i can only drive it for a certain distance every day. i can understand that most people dont ussually drive long distances but the reality is that even if they want to go on a long drive once a year this cant be done by these cars.
10:28am 14/09/11 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
10685 posts
if you ever need to go anywhere long distance than you would be f***ed i couldnt possibly by a car with the knoledge that i could never drive it a long distance like going down to byron for the day or driving to sydney

Whyever not -- what's to stop you hiring a car for those trips? Sure if you go every weekend its probably not economical, but lots of people (most?) only go away a few times a year, and half the time don't drive anyway because air travel is so cheap.

LOTS of households are multi-car also. I have (ok had, f***en thing died) a vehicle whose sole purpose is to drive me to and from work .. it doesn't even fit the whole team in it ffs. Why is it not 'viable' for me to replace this with an electric car?
i couldnt justify buying a car knowing that i can only drive it for a certain distance every day. i can understand that most people dont ussually drive long distances but the reality is that even if they want to go on a long drive once a year this cant be done by these cars.

Why is it impossible for people to hire a petrol vehicle for long trips? If you save more running an electric car than the annual hire cost, isn't this a good deal?

Even if they don't save a cent and the annual few hundred bucks for the hire car is worth the smug to the owner, is that not 'viable'?
10:30am 14/09/11 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
4888 posts
You couldn't, that doesn't mean they're not viable for millions of people.
I think they would be perfect for a 2 car family where one (or both) of the parents work in a close radius to where they live.
10:31am 14/09/11 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
10996 posts

Or in addition to what Hoggy said, a lot of couples with kids have two cars - one family mover, one sedan (for example). Or you might have one sedan, one ute.

One short range, one medium-long range vehicle might just be another combination.

I'm lucky enough to have driven an electric vehicle - converted new VW beetle - and it was awesome. I would totally want one if not for the price.
10:37am 14/09/11 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
4889 posts
You also have to look at the fact that these are still the 'early adopters' so that in the future, if they prove to be a success, they might even be able to increase range or decrease charging time to be suitable enough for your needs.

I currently have 2 4wd's at home, both I use (one Work Ute, one Trips+Off Road) which neither could be replaced by an electric car. If they ever do make a 4wd that could go ~500km+ on a charge and charge in <10min at a 'Petrol' station I would definitly be looking into it. I bet It would cost too much for me to buy at the moment though...
10:44am 14/09/11 Permalink
ScrotumPhantom
Brisbane, Queensland
73 posts
I just dont understand why you would bother with an electric car. The only reason i can think of that anyone would drive one is for the smug sense of self satisfaction. Charging an electric car is only better for the environment if it is charged from a clean energy source otherwise there is more polution. dont get me wrong i like the idea of an electric car and i can see electric cars in the future just not now.
10:46am 14/09/11 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
4155 posts
Looks super awesome.
10:49am 14/09/11 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
15109 posts
If they ever do make a 4wd that could go ~500km+ on a charge and charge in <10min

lol
10:49am 14/09/11 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
4890 posts
I just dont understand why you would bother with an electric car.

That smug feeling you get thinking you're doing something good for the environment. Not having to pay ever increasing prices on petrol. Less moving parts = (Theoretically) less maint. Because you think they look cool. Because you know you only drive ~70km round trips every day and fly for holidays. Because you're not a techo-phobe.

Heaps of reasons.

Currently, because of Australia's Coal as our main power, the polution is about the same (TDI Golf is the best IIRC.) But that doesn't mean it will always be so...

lol

Yeah, not holding my breath :p
10:50am 14/09/11 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
10686 posts
I just dont understand why you would bother with an electric car.

We sorta got that, but you made the mistake of declaring them non-viable.
The only reason i can think of that anyone would drive one is for the smug sense of self satisfaction. Charging an electric car is only better for the environment if it is charged from a clean energy source otherwise there is more polution. dont get me wrong i like the idea of an electric car and i can see electric cars in the future just not now.

To reiterate.

The electricity supplied to the grid is clean. The method of generating it is not.

I'm not sure about 'more pollution' from charging a car off the grid, I suspect that even coal generation is less dirty per joule than the average infernal combustion engine but I'm prepared to be wrong on that.

The Greens are going to fix electricity generation so that magical f*****g fairy windmills make all our power anyway.
10:57am 14/09/11 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
4892 posts
I'm not sure about 'more pollution' from charging a car off the grid, I suspect that even coal generation is less dirty per joule than the average infernal combustion engine but I'm prepared to be wrong on that.

Nah, Something like 80% of Aus energy is from Coal, which means that a modern ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) will produce less carbon that most Electric cars. I'll see if I can find the article I had floating around...

If the Greens ever have 100% say over our energy, we wouldn't even have cars... or energy.

Edit:

From comments
If you crunch the numbers a Nissan Leaf in Oz emits around 175g/km which is worse than the majority of small petrol and diesel cars these days.

This is based on the EPA figures of 34KWhr/100 miles (21.2KWhr/100km) and Oz' s 85% coal, 5% gas and 10% hydro& renewable electricity production mix. Specific emissions for coal are approx 950g CO2 /Kwhr , for a combined cycle gas plant around 400g C02/Kwhr.

CarPoint Article

Thats as it stands now though. If we went Nuclear, we'd be sweet.
11:02am 14/09/11 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
10688 posts
Sorry, what's an ICE? If you mean a super economical car then sure, but I said average vehicle ;)

If the Greens have total 100% say over our energy I'm probably gonna save up to buy me a Green card.
11:03am 14/09/11 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
4893 posts
Internal Combustion Engine, and Nah; Normal average engines produced in the last ~5 years produce less carbon then the Leaf.
11:13am 14/09/11 Permalink
blahnana
Brisbane, Queensland
696 posts
In the OP there's a car with a 600km range. I can't remember the last time I did that many k's in one day. Sure, some people would like more range. Most people won't need it.
11:15am 14/09/11 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
7476 posts

That's people like me, and a lot of the people I know who drive.
11:16am 14/09/11 Permalink
ScrotumPhantom
Brisbane, Queensland
74 posts
Thats as it stands now though. If we went Nuclear, we'd be sweet.

Nuclear powered cars..... now that sounds interesting.
11:21am 14/09/11 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
4894 posts
Which is great for to/from work and even for some weekend trips. (Assuming you can charge it overnight wherever you stay.)
For a day-to-day work vehicle, maybe not so much especially if you need gear etc. Being able to fuel up in <3min at any number of petrol stations is a boon aswell, If they had a Swap-and-Go battery system in place it could definatly be viable, maybe even for people like Midda (Assuming he doesn't need much gear or people.)
11:23am 14/09/11 Permalink
Vash
2956 posts
Waiting for an electric car that has a small diesel generator or seperate diesel motor in a 4WD package so that you can commute on the electric, and activate the diesel motor for long distance remote trips

There must be a reason manufacturers arent using ICE generators to accomodate the electric motor (like, the ICE being completely disconnected from the drivetrain) must not be very efficient or something
11:23am 14/09/11 Permalink
ScrotumPhantom
Brisbane, Queensland
75 posts
There must be a reason manufacturers arent using ICE generators to accomodate the electric motor (like, the ICE being completely disconnected from the drivetrain) must not be very efficient or something

This would be less efficient than just running a straight ICE due to all the inevitable losses that will be present (massive heat loss) and would not be able to cope with hard driving at all (if anyone has seen the little turtle on a prius).
11:51am 14/09/11 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
7127 posts
You cant Hear an Electric Car coming.
There is going to be an increase of Pedestrian deaths if they ever become popular. They are going to be expecially dangerous for Families with young children, there is already an epidemic of Toddlers being run over in driveways.
11:55am 14/09/11 Permalink
fade
Brisbane, Queensland
6859 posts
You cant Hear an Electric Car coming.
There is going to be an increase of Pedestrian deaths if they ever become popular. They are going to be expecially dangerous for Families with young children, there is already an epidemic of Toddlers being run over in driveways.

Wrong. False. Misleading.
11:56am 14/09/11 Permalink
Strik3r
Brisbane, Queensland
1942 posts
another face-fail post. The engine noise of most cars isn't what you hear when they drive towards you. The lack of engine noise is only really apparent in-cabin.
12:02pm 14/09/11 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
1320 posts
Yeah I think they need to incorporate something to make a noise so people can hear them coming, which wouldn't be hard to do with a pulley and some loose bearings in it :P

This is just the start as more people adopt the process gets refined, the technology gets better and our sources of electricity will get greener, this is just the experiment stage.

The Jag has twin turbines that you can put any flammable liquid in which charges the batteries, which will give you more range or give a performance boost depending on what you want.
12:05pm 14/09/11 Permalink
gamer
2040 posts
there is already an epidemic of Toddlers being run over in driveways

ROFL
12:09pm 14/09/11 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
5609 posts
To all the the small minded Electric Car Range Anxiety knobs posting on this thread, GM has sold a few thousand of their Extended Range Electric Car the Volt to happy customers.

Electric for 60klms commute then the petrol motor kicks in when you want to drive down the coast.

Simple.
12:09pm 14/09/11 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
4895 posts
Isn't the Volt a Hybrid? IIRC It has a pretty small Electric range (<50km) as well...
The ~600km concept one in the OP is pure electric though.

Edit: Sorry, didn't read all your post. Yeah that would work for people that need long range for weekends, can fill petrol quickly too for really long drives. Now just need that in a 4wd, resonable price range and I'd be sweet.

I wonder if the Jeep EV concept ever whent anywhere...
12:19pm 14/09/11 Permalink
ScrotumPhantom
Brisbane, Queensland
76 posts
Electric for 60klms commute then the petrol motor kicks in when you want to drive down the coast.

you are talking about a hybrid which is not an electric car and is therefore irrelevant. Hybrids are like the little girl from the hard and soft taco add.
12:26pm 14/09/11 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
4896 posts
The best of both worlds?
12:28pm 14/09/11 Permalink
Vash
2959 posts
we already went over that in a previous thread, faceman...

electric cars are almost as loud as any other modern muffled car, tyre noise is the most significant.
Yes, slow rolling speed is almost dead silent, perhaps a reversing noise of sorts like on trucks? not as loud or bright of course.
12:38pm 14/09/11 Permalink
Mayo
Melbourne, Victoria
82 posts
I would own any of those (If I had the money..) they are looking dayum fine.

Its such a shame that electric cars will not be a viable alternative for a long time to come.

This saddens me :(
02:03pm 14/09/11 Permalink
lateral
Brisbane, Queensland
3903 posts

er, they are, and its mostly because a small efficient ICE charging a battery to provide electric power is anything but "efficient", its why the Prius is a weighty piece of s*** that's not as efficient as a focus.

Nuclear powered cars..... now that sounds interesting.

well, currently the technology is here:

NASA has attached a electric generator to a stirling engine that uses a small plutonium pellet (0.9KG) as the heat source, and efficiency is about 23% thermal energy to electrical energy conversion.

the unit is about 20kg in weight and provides about 140W of continuous power for over 14 years before a fuel change is required for peak performance, and it continues to generate heat (and thus, some power) for centuries. it looks like this technology is going to be used on new space probes where solar power isn't practical as of 2012. they had previously been using them-electric converters directly off the heat source at an efficiency of about 10%, but it turns out its more efficient to convert heat into kinetic energy first.

to compare, a model ICE weighs about 1kg and provides about 2000W of power(2/3hp), but will chew through 300cc of fuel in about 2 min.

03:17pm 14/09/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:17pm 14/09/11 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.