AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Can i carry a knife for self protection?
gamer
751 posts
After a recent incident I've given serious thought to carrying a knife to protect myself and my family while in public. I'm wondering if anyone knows the legalities.

Can you carry a weapon such as a knife? (If the problem is 'hiding' the weapon, could you carry it around your neck on a chain?)

Can the knight be 'retractable'?

How big or small does the knife to be?

If you choose to carry a knife that is illegal to carry, what are the potential worst case scenario in fine you can incur or jail time?
05:08pm 15/06/10 Permalink
adBot
ads
Internet
--
ads keep websites free
05:08pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Reverend
Gold Coast, Queensland
1651 posts

Good god are you for real ????
05:10pm 15/06/10 Permalink
FraktuRe
Gold Coast, Queensland
2299 posts
/waits for CHUB's reply.
05:11pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Gesthemene
Brisbane, Queensland
864 posts
The only reason you are allowed to carry a knife on your person is "for the purpose of its utility". As in, a stanley knife/box cutter/swiss army knife etc and only if you can reasonably justify requiring its use in your normal day to day activities.

If you are caught carrying a knife on your person and you claim that it's for self-defense or you can't genuinely claim that you have a reasonable purpose for carrying it, then you're in breach of the Weapons Act and you'd better stock up on Astroglyde because you're going to need it.
05:12pm 15/06/10 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
10319 posts
no you cannot

However, it is not a reasonable excuse to physically possess a knife in a public place or a school for self-defence purposes.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/qld/consol_act/wa1990107/s51.html
05:12pm 15/06/10 Permalink
do0b
Brisbane, Queensland
3811 posts
lol somebody got raped!

dont worry buddy, at least ur getting more action than thermite
05:13pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Draack
Melbourne, Victoria
85 posts
while your asking us.... may as well ask if you can carry around a sword or a AK.47... because no matter what you ask.. it's always ganna be a no-no
MoSFXx
44 posts
God knows why in my opinion you'd probably get in more trouble if you had a knife.. but keeping it true I found this
Okay, time for my two bob's worth on this one...

For starters, I'm more familiar with Victorian laws than NSW, but I thought they were similar. Australian knife laws are NOT the same as the UK - In the UK a pocket knife is illegal to carry if it locks open which is not the case here (again, I'm talking Victoria specifically). Also, there is a 3" blade length limit in the UK which does not apply in Oz.

The basic premise in Australia is that you must have a legitimate reason for carrying one - which includes needing it for work but NOT for self defence. Now, I'd argue that a pocket knife is useful for most jobs, but that's another story - if a cop decided you look dodgy the onus would be on you to prove your legitimate reason - I don't know if "I open my mail with it" would be good enough - there is nothing in the regulations about how you must use the knife at work for it to be acceptable.

Sadly, the best advice is "don't carry anything that looks mean!" (so the 3" length rule is worth sticking to, even though there is no mention of length in the regulations) - and don't be caught in the wrong place at the wrong time!

When I was living in the UK, I nearly had my UK Model Spyderco (which is a lovely thing and entirely LEGAL in the UK) confiscated when boarding the Eurostar because it looks mean - I wish Spyderco had printed "UK Model" on it - that would have saved some stress! I was also carrying a 2 bladed "gentlemans" knife which didn't concern them in the least and neither did my Leatherman Charge (with two 3" locking blades and therefore technically illegal). Similarly, I visited many museums etc where security was tight - my Swiss Army knife never raised an eyebrow (it was usually surrendered to security and returned when leaving the building). Perception is a big thing!

Assisted openers - for sale over the counter and not specifically mentioned (in the Victorian regulations at least) so they're legal - but they look mean when you open them so be careful where you use them.

Flick knives, which are banned everywhere and considered the spawn of Satan are, in all honesty, only banned because the bad guys use them in movies! They are no more dangerous or sinister than any other knife - but it's the perception. In the 18th century, an attempt was made on the life of the king of France. A ban on flick knives followed where the penalty for having one was execution! Of course, the knife used in the assassination attempt was NOT a flick knife!

There is a LOT of misinformation around about knife laws - people get rather carried away with things. I wish I had a dollar for everytime I've been told "new laws have come in banning knives" - what bullshit! However it does pay to do a little research and be sure of the details. I'd be amazed if there was a problem with Spyderco knives in NSW (unless they've gone with the ridiculous "must not lock open" strategy which defies logic ) - however, some Spydercos DO look anti-social, and those are best avoided if you're concerned about problems with the law.

Hope that's some help!

source: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=169301
taggs
Brisbane, Queensland
4190 posts
Section 51 of the Qld Weapons Act 1990

51 Possession of a knife in a public place or a school
(1) A person must not physically possess a knife in a public place
or a school, unless the person has a reasonable excuse.s 51 75 s 51
Weapons Act 1990
Maximum penalty—20 penalty units or 6 months
imprisonment.

(2) It is a reasonable excuse for subsection (1) to physically
possess a knife—

(a) to perform a lawful activity, duty or employment; or
(b) to participate in a lawful entertainment, recreation or
sport; or
(c) for exhibiting the knife; or
(d) for use for a lawful purpose.

(3) However, it is not a reasonable excuse to physically possess a
knife in a public place or a school for self-defence purposes.

(4) In deciding what is a reasonable excuse for subsection (1),
regard may be had, among other things, to whether the way
the knife is held in possession, or when and where it is held in
possession, would cause a reasonable person concern that he
or she, or someone else in the vicinity, may be threatened or
harmed.

(5) In this section—s 52 76 s 53
Weapons Act 1990
knife includes a thing with a sharpened point or blade that is
reasonably capable of—

(a) being held in 1 or both hands; and
(b) being used to wound or threaten to wound anyone when
held in 1 or both hands.
school means any part of the premises of—
(a) a State educational institution under the Education
(General Provisions) Act 2006; or
(b) a non-State school under the Education (Accreditation
of Non-State Schools) Act 2001.

http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/W/WeaponsA90.pdf

no you can't, and you're a goddamn retard for even asking. what are you, twelve?

edit: beaten by ravn0s :(

last edited by taggs at 17:17:35 15/Jun/10
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
4386 posts
recent incident. what happened did u get beat up.

there is no reason to carry a knife with u, you'll end up getting it taken from u in the fight and then stabbed with it
05:16pm 15/06/10 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
5517 posts
Carry a grapefruit around with you everywhere and if anyone asks what your machete is for, just show them the grapefruit!
05:19pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
6219 posts
i remember being a shopping centre and the cops pulled over some guy with a knife in his boot.. they asked him what he used it for and he said.. peeling fruit.. they let him go
05:20pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Draack
Melbourne, Victoria
86 posts
really guys, knife maybe good idea but you'll get in trouble if you get caught... just get steel cap shoes... if anyone wants a fight.. kick in the shins... they never know what hit them..
05:23pm 15/06/10 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
1003 posts
I carry a knife around for work.

Sometimes you just gotta cut-a-bitch.
05:29pm 15/06/10 Permalink
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
1299 posts
walking around carrying a knife is inviting trouble...
05:30pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Gesthemene
Brisbane, Queensland
865 posts
really guys, knife maybe good idea but you'll get in trouble if you get caught... just get steel cap shoes... if anyone wants a fight.. kick in the shins... they never know what hit them..

I'm guessing they'd suspect (if not outright know) that someone in steel-capped boots had just kicked them. They would then proceed to beat the shit out of you AND steel your boots :P

Edit: Basic rule of thumb: Don't carry a weapon unless a) you know how to use it properly; and b) you are prepared to use it. If the weapon you carry only has one possible use (such as stabbing or slicing someone), then you'd better be prepared to follow through with that AND deal with the consequences. 99 times out of 100, the consequences of stabbing someone with a knife even in self-defense won't be justification enough to carry it.

If you want to carry a weapon to intimidate someone into backing down before starting a fight, carry something innocuous, but if needed, can be used to defend yourself. A cricket bat and ball in the boot of your car is perfectly reasonable and if someone attacks you, it's a lot easier psychologically to whack them with a piece of wood then to actually cut them.
05:31pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
4388 posts
how can they beat the shit out of u if u have full force kicked them with steel caps? no way will they be moving too quickly
05:33pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Persay
Brisbane, Queensland
6523 posts
i better carry a gun if you're gonna be carrying a knife
05:34pm 15/06/10 Permalink
NoLogic
Toowoomba, Queensland
256 posts
Just dress exactly the same as the TF2 scout, right down to the last detail and then you can carry a baseball bat.

If a cop stops you just tell him you are roleplaying....
05:34pm 15/06/10 Permalink
HurricaneJim
Brisbane, Queensland
453 posts
Well if you're going to carry a knife for self defense then you may as well carry a concealable gun like the Walther P22. This way you can be sure of a long stay in gaol rather than a short 6 month sentence.
05:35pm 15/06/10 Permalink
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
1301 posts
Well if you're going to carry a knife for self defense then you may as well carry a concealable gun like the Walther P22. This way you can be sure of a long stay in gaol rather than a short 6 month sentence.

the Gun in question:

Pretty cool looking little thang
05:37pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Charlie
Brisbane, Queensland
1470 posts
You don't need it, just stay away from stabbin' suburbs like Sunnybank.
05:40pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Gesthemene
Brisbane, Queensland
866 posts
how can they beat the shit out of u if u have full force kicked them with steel caps? no way will they be moving too quickly

Sc00bs, I got mugged about 10 years ago (There were 4 of them, 3 Aboriginal, 1 Samoan judging from his size). I was hit in the back of the head with a piece of timber (think 2x4). If it was only a tiny bit further around to the back of my skull, chances are I'd be dead or in a wheelchair. Instead, all they managed to do was give me a concussion and piss me off. I broke the Samoan's jaw and the rest took off. The guys who mugged us were the guys who went on a mugging spree in the Botanical Gardens and the bikeways. A week after we were mugged, they killed a guy.

The things I learned from this is that you'd be surprised what people can do with sufficient motivation and that I was far more prepared to hit someone with my fist than I would have been with a weapon.
05:43pm 15/06/10 Permalink
gamer
752 posts
I love all the retards that are asking what happened and then trying to give me shit, yeah that's going to get the story out of me.

carry something innocuous, but if needed, can be used to defend yourself. A cricket bat and ball in the boot of your car is

Good point however a cricket bat might be fine in your car however I'm talking about walking around in public, late at night with people you love and having to defend them.

What innocuous things would you think would be most effective? Something effective that could be easily explained... hrmm...

---

Thanks to all those people that posted law snippets/quotes and legalities they know/have heard of. Much appreciated.
05:44pm 15/06/10 Permalink
`ViPER`
Brisbane, Queensland
2406 posts
Seriously Dude, carry around a knife is the worst fuckin idea ever, its only going to make the situation worse.

If you are realy worried about self protection, take up a martial art or something. I guarantee because you dont know how to use the kife properly, tere is more chance that the knife will end up getting used on you.

05:45pm 15/06/10 Permalink
do0b
Brisbane, Queensland
3812 posts
common sense does it for me, maybe you should wear a giant bubble suit while walking around unlit places late at night.. full body condom stylez
05:46pm 15/06/10 Permalink
gamer
753 posts
Edit: Basic rule of thumb: Don't carry a weapon unless a) you know how to use it properly; and b) you are prepared to use it

Forgot to reply to this. It's not hard to use a knife.

The knife would merely be to try and persuade someone not to approach or continue (in a serious way).

I would also never use a knife in offensive move (to rob someone) however in this situation or if i was in a situation where I thought I may not be able to hold onto the knife I certainly would use it with full force.

05:46pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
4389 posts
upside down 600ml mount Franklin with lid off. put thumb in middle of of bottom and rake for eyes with the top ;)
05:47pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Charlie
Brisbane, Queensland
1471 posts
Good point however a cricket bat might be fine in your car however I'm talking about walking around in public, late at night with people you love and having to defend them.

While it'd be nice to be able to walk anywhere anytime with anyone instead of carrying a knife just stay away from dodgy areas. Like Sunnybank :)
05:47pm 15/06/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
31102 posts
where the shit are you walking with your family that you feel you need a knife for protection
05:48pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
15069 posts
It's not hard to use a knife.

Theres a pretty big difference between knowing how to wave a knife around in a menacing fashion, and actually knowing how to fight with it and use it to defend yourself.

Sounds like a terrible idea to me, you pull a knife on a guy, what happens when he then pulls a knife on you, and happens to be much better with his knife than you are with yours?
05:49pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
4390 posts
just around Ipswich on their late night walks... whats wrong with that
05:49pm 15/06/10 Permalink
gamer
754 posts
Sc00bs, I got mugged about 10 years ago (There were 4 of them, 3 Aboriginal, 1 Samoan judging from his size). I was hit in the back of the head with a piece of timber (think 2x4). If it was only a tiny bit further around to the back of my skull, chances are I'd be dead or in a wheelchair. Instead, all they managed to do was give me a concussion and piss me off. I broke the Samoan's jaw and the rest took off. The guys who mugged us were the guys who went on a mugging spree in the Botanical Gardens and the bikeways. A week after we were mugged, they killed a guy.

I'm sorry to hear that happened mate.

I can speak from this experience that whatever you guys have in your minds about what you would and wouldn't like the general public carrying on them (like a knife), that all goes out of the window when your girlfriend and 4 year old kid ends up hospitalized and you with a broken wrist, ribs and not much of a face left.

All because we were out getting ice cream and didn't hand over our wallets fast enough... apparently.
05:50pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Persay
Brisbane, Queensland
6524 posts
abstinence from dangerous areas is better than reactive shizzle like knives

Also, drive instead of walking 5km to a bus stop?

If you're living in fear enough to want a knife you're still gonna be living in fear with it

Also what happened ya big pussy little girl? Afraid internet is fonna make fun of you for getting raped?
05:52pm 15/06/10 Permalink
gamer
755 posts
Sounds like a terrible idea to me, you pull a knife on a guy, what happens when he then pulls a knife on you, and happens to be much better with his knife than you are with yours?

In order of priority?

1. Tell the wife to grab the kid and run like hell and dont stop.

2. Put my best into convincing them not to continue by be dead serious and acting like a crazy fuck

3. If all that fails. Start stabbing as many of them as I can and buy her as much time as I can and see who comes out on top.
do0b
Brisbane, Queensland
3813 posts
well they werent there to fuck spiders, what took you so long?
`ViPER`
Brisbane, Queensland
2407 posts
where the shit are you walking with your family that you feel you need a knife for protection

thats what I was going to ask.

If its late at night, you either made to choice to be there late at night because you wanted to go out or something, solution, dont go to that place at that time of night.

Or second, for some reason I cant think of, you need to be walking around dangerour places late at night for work or something?
05:53pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
3850 posts

You can get something like this, basically just an inanimate carbon rod you can hit cunts with. But you'd need to have some sort of skill, because just nicking someone with it is more likely to annoy them, whereas a knife would cause damage. Youd need to be able to make some solid contact like a punch or hammer action with it.

As for its legality.. well you can just say its a keyring ornament.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/keychain%20weapons/phyreblade_blog/True%20Swords/black_cat_defense_key_chain.jpg or this, "i just like cats officer"
05:54pm 15/06/10 Permalink
gamer
756 posts
I got to tell you... i always thought anything that could happen to someone who was innocent... doing the right thing... never went looking for trouble... could be resolved after the fact by calling triple zero.

That just isn't in my mind anymore... that feeling when you first drop in front of someone that means harm to your family, where you realize the situation has reached the limits of what you can cope with and 000 isn't even an option anymore.

It felt fucking horrible. Your options are depleted and you realize how naive you were in the first place to even think 000 would ever be an option while such an event was happening.

The most you can do is shield your wife and kid and pray someone hears the commotion (of which they did, however the first two groups kept walking).
05:57pm 15/06/10 Permalink
`ViPER`
Brisbane, Queensland
2408 posts
All because we were out getting ice cream and didn't hand over our wallets fast enough... apparently.

Ok then, so it was option A, so therefore you made the choice to go there, solution, dont go to that place at that time.

I would realy like to know what suburb this happened in.

Also, next time, just give them the wallet. Who carrys around heaps of cash these days anyway, it would only have been the cards you lost.
05:57pm 15/06/10 Permalink
imitation
Brisbane, Queensland
4093 posts
If you get a knife use it to cut yourself first then they'll know you're serious, preferably cut of your nose that will slow them down.
05:58pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
15070 posts
Probably hard to see this now gamer, but in the grand scheme of things, its not like stuff like this is going to happen to you all the time. I'm not trying to sound callous, and its seriously fucked up what they did to you and your family, just saying, maybe make decisions like this when theres a bit less emotion involved and put a bit more thought into it, don't over-react and potentially get yourself into a lot of trouble.

Yeah, bad shit can happen to anyone, but the odds of it actually happening are slim, I know how hollow that probably sounds after its just happened to you, but try and keep things in perspective, don't go overboard.
05:59pm 15/06/10 Permalink
do0b
Brisbane, Queensland
3814 posts
this is why consoles are shit
06:00pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
4391 posts
gym + steroids + mui thai / boxing / kick boxing then u will smash them
06:01pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
6746 posts
I can speak from this experience that whatever you guys have in your minds about what you would and wouldn't like the general public carrying on them (like a knife), that all goes out of the window when your girlfriend and 4 year old kid ends up hospitalized and you with a broken wrist, ribs and not much of a face left.

Did this happen to you? If it did, that sucks.

You were either exceptionally unlucky or exceptionally naive.

Neither is cause to start carrying concealed weapons as a general solution.
06:02pm 15/06/10 Permalink
gamer
757 posts
Obviously I aren't going to get into any debate about where I was or the specifics of what happens to allow half the know it all loser/troll on this forum a chance to judge and troll me via their comments.

So good try to all those asking about place, specifics on the lead up to the incident or generally calling me or my family pussies, because I think we all acted well given the circumstances we found ourselves in.

Despite your comments and lack of sensitivity I wouldn't wish that on any person (on this forum) despite host much of a loser/troll they are.
06:03pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Persay
Brisbane, Queensland
6525 posts
why let them even make you use it as selfdefence? Preemptive strike ftw. Go back to the area where it happened and stab everyone who looks vaguely like the peeps who attacked you.

Then it'll be safer for everyone
06:04pm 15/06/10 Permalink
gamer
758 posts
Yeah, bad shit can happen to anyone, but the odds of it actually happening are slim

Yeah. The mrs and I have talked alot and that's what we're trying to focus on right now. The confidence issue with her is a bit thing. Getting her back into public life might take a while... I thought if i carried a knife it might help (her).

(Also: Thanks bah for the info on that thing)

last edited by gamer at 18:11:38 15/Jun/10
06:04pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
3851 posts
Video footage of the incident
06:09pm 15/06/10 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
7473 posts
i guess this happened on the southside?
06:09pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
4392 posts
get some mace or a tazer
06:10pm 15/06/10 Permalink
d0mino
Brisbane, Queensland
4857 posts
gamer if you let us know what happened maybe we can avoid similar pitfalls ?
06:12pm 15/06/10 Permalink
gamer
759 posts
Of course... why am I thinking knife when there is mace and stuff.

Is mace (the spray for the eyes) classed as a weapon or anything obscure like that?
gumbiddy
Melbourne, Victoria
97 posts
there is more chance that the knife will end up getting used on you

/end thread
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
31103 posts
Obviously I aren't going to get into any debate about where I was or the specifics of what happens to allow half the know it all loser/troll on this forum a chance to judge and troll me via their comments.
well, a big part of this forum has always been sharing personal experiences, be they awesome or terrible. Without the actual story that inspired the question, basically this thread is you just asking what seems like an utterly silly question. Who gives a shit if a bunch of random Internet people judge you?
do0b
Brisbane, Queensland
3815 posts
get on with your life... go to therapy if you have to. The response you get here is proportional to the question you ask, a 2 second google would have answered your question instead your here asking an internet forum for life advise. get a clue and you might actually learn to avoid situations like this.
06:13pm 15/06/10 Permalink
FocaL
Brisbane, Queensland
171 posts
dont carry a knife. It could be used against you - especially if you've had a few hits to head. I would take up boxing if it is practical.

The best bet is to hang around the rich suburbs of Brisbane. Rich ppl tend to call the cops if they see thugs loitering in their suburbs.

last edited by FocaL at 18:17:20 15/Jun/10
06:16pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
5005 posts
Why not get a personal alarm? They'll put out a sound so loud that it'll attract attention.
06:16pm 15/06/10 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
1888 posts
I wish I capped the page awhile ago. My friend was looking to see if mace was legal in QLD and during my law hunting on the police website, I found tips to help fight against people trying to attack you. I'm super serial when I say 1 of the tips was "soil yourself"
06:17pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
4393 posts
Pepper spray, capsican spray, mace, etc is illegal to carry in Queensland.

And whatever you do, do not carry anything that can be taken off you and used against you (like a knife, etc)

from yahoo

you cant carry anything in australia- no mace sprays, no knives, bats, batons or tazers
06:22pm 15/06/10 Permalink
ctd
Brisbane, Queensland
8804 posts
Gamer, maybe next time you go to that terrain you should send additional units to high ground to scout any incoming threats. Use hellions as a preemptive measure to stop melee attacks.
06:22pm 15/06/10 Permalink
do0b
Brisbane, Queensland
3816 posts
meh, bubble and hearth imo
06:23pm 15/06/10 Permalink
tspec
Melbourne, Victoria
2828 posts
In order of priority? 1. Tell the wife to grab the kid and run like hell and dont stop. 2. Put my best into convincing them not to continue by be dead serious and acting like a crazy fuck 3. If all that fails. Start stabbing as many of them as I can and buy her as much time as I can and see who comes out on top.

I understand where you're coming from but you'll still most likely come off second best in this situation, if your wife and kid got out of there and you didn't, where does that leave them? without a husband/father for the rest of their lives.

The suggestion about learning self defense is a good idea if it were to be used as a last resort. Just out of curiosity, were you in a populated area at the time?

last edited by tspec at 18:31:19 15/Jun/10
06:28pm 15/06/10 Permalink
gamer
760 posts
Gamer, maybe next time you go to that terrain you should send additional units to high ground to scout any incoming threats. Use hellions as a preemptive measure to stop melee attacks.

Oh man I cant wait for SC2 single player.

meh, bubble and hearth imo

Why bother. A priest/warrior will only dispell it in 1.2S and cancel the hearth. (Can't half tell what I think of Paladins 'defensive' cooldown can you? heh)
06:30pm 15/06/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
31104 posts
and after others have just robbed / harmed him,
my entire point is - have they? is that what happened? noone knows, so its hard to know what an appropriate level of sympathy is and in what direction it should lie. Was it a serious event that justifies panicking and carrying knives everywhere? Is it an overreaction? etc, etc, etc.

I'm sure it wasn't fun, whatever it was, but, as I said, its sort of convention here (if not a rule) to post stories to justify questions that might otherwise be answered by simply googling
06:31pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
29508 posts
easy solution, become a full sihk and then you can knife up as much as you want

fyi, carrying a knife for protection is a super awesome idea!

er, no, i mean the other thing

last edited by Spook at 18:43:56 15/Jun/10
06:39pm 15/06/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
5524 posts
Best to just turn your body into a lethal weapon.
06:42pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
6747 posts
W T F at the people trolling in here ... what is wrong with you.

gamer, full sympathy, are you all ok/gonna make a full recovery?

trog ... internet people are still people in gamer's mind, we're social creatures, and after others have just robbed / harmed him, how do you expect him to feel when he goes to another place and just gets insulted about it?

Can't speak for anyone but myself; I wasn't being harsh.

When I was 17 I was bashed and pushed down a cliff face. Fortunately it wasn't sheer. But yeh, I know what its like to feel threatened when in public.

But I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and it was stupid to be there. It took me quite a while to work it all out but I contributed to what happened. Carrying weapons isn't the answer.
06:45pm 15/06/10 Permalink
tequila
Brisbane, Queensland
7506 posts
someone I know (definitely not me) has one of these

just get a mate who is a bouncer (lols fpot) or has a security licence to buy it for you, too easy
menacing enough, does some fucking serious damage even in amateur hands and it fits in your jeans pocket when collapsed

this guy I know has had one for years and never had to actually use it in anger, but it sure as shit does it's job at scaring thong thieves trying to hassle you for wallet/cash/phones
best thing to keep in your car as a deterrent is a club lock, can't argue with a club lock in a car
06:47pm 15/06/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
31106 posts
best thing to keep in your car as a deterrent is a club lock, can't argue with a club lock in a car
unless you're trying to use it for its intended purpose
06:50pm 15/06/10 Permalink
fade
Brisbane, Queensland
4506 posts
gg qgl. many lols; thread delivers.

oh wait, he was for real? :s
06:51pm 15/06/10 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
6906 posts
You don't need it, just stay away from stabbin' suburbs like Sunnybank.

Lol fucking wat?

Been living here for ten years an never had a problem.
06:52pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Persay
Brisbane, Queensland
6526 posts
story or lock/ban tbh
06:54pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
1576 posts
I can't beleive no one has said this yet but
Maybe he wants a knife because you can alwaqys run faster with a knife?
06:55pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Corrupt
Brisbane, Queensland
1547 posts
A knife is a cutting tool, it is not a weapon, it can be used as a weapon but its main application is cutting. I couldn't care less if you carried one personally cause I believe it is my right to protect myself, the police only get there after the incident never before so what good is a policeman/woman, usually sweet fuck all, we are all in this cesspit of having to defend ourselves. I don't think its wrong and I don't give a fuck what any legality says, because everyone has the common law right to defend themselves. Not everyone is trained to disarm someone. Most fights are just about finding a way to win, it matters not how you win. For anyone else who wishes to reply to me I don't give a fuck what you say, life experience tells me otherwise.
deadlyf
Queensland
1005 posts
never had to actually use it in anger

This highlights the difference between you and everyone else. Any sane person would have said never had to use it in self-defence but you said never had to use it to bash people who have cut him off in traffic.
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
6748 posts
never had to actually use it in anger
This highlights the difference between you and everyone else. Any sane person would have said never had to use it in self-defence but you said never had to use it to bash people who have cut him off in traffic.

God. I'm defending teq :(

do/use something in anger
to do or use something for the first time, or in a real situation:
He joined the club last month, but has yet to kick a ball in anger.

Longman dictionary of contemporary English
06:59pm 15/06/10 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
6907 posts
The Club and use it to apply a huge amount of torque to the steering wheel and break the lock on the steering column (which most cars were already equipped with). The pro thieves actually sought out cars with The Club on them because they didn’t want to carry a long pry bar that was too hard to conceal.

FYI, its because most people don't fit them correctly in the first place.
07:01pm 15/06/10 Permalink
tequila
Brisbane, Queensland
7511 posts
lols, troll fail
07:02pm 15/06/10 Permalink
acetame
Brisbane, Queensland
1861 posts
no one would fuck around with you if you carried one of these on your back

07:03pm 15/06/10 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
1006 posts
Damn you Hoggy.
07:03pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
6749 posts
Damn you Hoggy.

I do feel bad and wrong about it :(
07:06pm 15/06/10 Permalink
tequila
Brisbane, Queensland
7513 posts

^ i still love you both

I had a SS2000, they were the shit!@
07:11pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Plasma
1068 posts
Don't try to be a hero (especially with your family around etc), try and defuse the situation as best as you can obviously by just handing over money/whatever.

A friend of mine from high school was king hit while out celebrating his birthday in the Melbourne CBD.

He was 20 when he was hit (a few years ago now), and has severe brain damage (he can't do anything for himself anymore or really speak).

The assholes who attacked him were charged with Assault/Affray and given 3 and 7 years (as opposed to my friend's life sentence).

What really pisses me off here is that in a few years they will be out and be able to live their lives; their victim's life on the other hand has been changed dramatically.

I won't give the full story but my friend and his friend who was with him at the time DID run from these guys, but they took a turn down a one way street and were overpowered.

Just be careful around idiots; do whatever you can to just diffuse the situation as a first priority (hand over money/phone etc) and just leave as soon as possible to get out of there; unfortunately that doesn't always work out for the best.

You may be interested in taking up some kickboxing/MMA style classes - to give you some fighting experience if thats what you're after - to at least have something to fall back on should you ever (unfortunately) need it.

Pretty much every martial art/self defense courses though recommend (correctly imo) that you should just run if possible or diffuse the situation - its a last resort, because even if you're the best kick boxer you still may get hurt pretty bad.
07:12pm 15/06/10 Permalink
neffo
Forum Hero
Wynnum, Queensland
16836 posts
I just carry my sharp wit around with me where ever I go.
07:14pm 15/06/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
31109 posts
The assholes who attacked him were charged with Assault/Affray and given 3 and 7 years (as opposed to my friend's life sentence).

What really pisses me off here is that in a few years they will be out and be able to live their lives; their victim's life on the other hand has been changed dramatically.
that fucking sucks major balls. I definitely think our legal system is far too soft on that sort of 'casual' crime when there's serious bodily harm or even the RISK of serious bodily harm (eg, retards throwing things off bridges onto roads).
07:15pm 15/06/10 Permalink
weedy
Melbourne, Victoria
227 posts
After a recent incident I've given serious thought to carrying a knife to protect myself and my family while in public. I'm wondering if anyone knows the legalities. Can you carry a weapon such as a knife? (If the problem is 'hiding' the weapon, could you carry it around your neck on a chain?) Can the knight be 'retractable'? How big or small does the knife to be? If you choose to carry a knife that is illegal to carry, what are the potential worst case scenario in fine you can incur or jail time?

Yeah sure you can carry a hidden knife, yes its illegal and yes you will get shot by gun ho coppers when they see a hint of your concealed weapon.
07:16pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Plasma
1069 posts
(eg, retards throwing things off bridges onto roads).

Oath.

These idiots (like the laser pen idiots @ airports) think they're safe because they can't be caught.

Someone throwing rocks (like the last one that was 20KG!) off a bridge onto traffic should be charged with attempted murder.
07:17pm 15/06/10 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
7475 posts
heh this takes me back
the cabbies used to carry an interesting assortment of weapons
one cabbie used to carry a knife, it was a rather dubious affair though, it was more or less a thin-bladed fishing knife (so it didn't look like a big stabbin kitchen knife) but with somewhat of a delicate looking handle. apparently it was for his vegemite, yeah right.

one cabbie used to carry a 4D-cell maglite called 'milo'. Well used apparently.

another cabbie used to just carry a can of brut deodorant. just as effective as mace in the eyeballs apparently.

the others used to just say 'the electricity pole is on your side of the car, and i've got the airbag'.

but gamer, if you're seriously that shaken, just go learn tae kwon do or something, get fitter and learn how to kick asses at the same time.

last edited by hardware at 19:37:35 15/Jun/10
07:36pm 15/06/10 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
6909 posts
Someone throwing rocks (like the last one that was 20KG!) off a bridge onto traffic should be charged with attempted murder.

Whole different kettle of fish however I agree 1000 percent.
07:42pm 15/06/10 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Queenstown, New Zealand
4327 posts
Given any thought to carrying something like an asp baton?
07:42pm 15/06/10 Permalink
do0b
Brisbane, Queensland
3817 posts
can you euthenize for stupidity these days?
07:58pm 15/06/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
31111 posts
Whole different kettle of fish however I agree 1000 percent.
is it though? In both cases (dropping a rock / swinging a fist) you are intentionally, willfully doing something that is putting someone else's health and safety at risk. The only difference is a matter of degree - but the range of POTENTIAL outcomes are extremely similar.
08:04pm 15/06/10 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
12265 posts
haven't read this thread apart from the OP which was enough retard for me

you are retarded.
08:35pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Skyhawk
Brisbane, Queensland
1524 posts
from http://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/personalSafety/generalAdvice/options.htm

Depending on the situation, weapons may be used in self-defence. Items such as a pen, keys, hairbrush, (in fact, nearly any nearby object) can be used as an effective weapon. Remember to emphasise however, that the force used must be authorised, justified or excused by law.

As a rule, the law generally does not allow the carrying of anything that can be described as a weapon. This includes mace, spray dyes, most personal alarms, or any other items which have been specifically adapted, such as sharpened combs, knives carried for the purpose of self defence etc.

this is what they apparently want you to do..
Faking a heart attack, asthma attack, epileptic fit, faint or mental illness.
Tell the attacker that you have AIDS/Hepatitis;
Be revolting - throw up, defecate/urinate/pick your nose;

08:43pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Persay
Brisbane, Queensland
6531 posts
a personal alarm isn't allowed?

NO LOUD NOISES ALLOWED IN ANNA'S QLD
08:44pm 15/06/10 Permalink
trillion
Brisbane, Queensland
1274 posts
see what you do is run home and settle your differences over a game of quake 3 arena or quakeworld for oldschool, then you end up playing coop and fighting dragons and rescuing princess' :P
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
4398 posts
hahahaha instead of letting u carry around something to protect urself there advice is to shit urself or tell them u have aids...

wow the police really need to get paid more
trillion
Brisbane, Queensland
1275 posts
this is what they apparently want you to do..

Faking a heart attack, asthma attack, epileptic fit, faint or mental illness.
Be revolting - throw up, defecate/urinate/pick your nose;

waaaaaait a second. i have seen people out there on saturday nights after closing time apparently heeding this advice AND THE PO THROW THEM IN THE PEN!

lol their advice is idiot bait.
08:49pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
4399 posts
yes 3 of the last 4 all get u locked up or in court
08:51pm 15/06/10 Permalink
trillion
Brisbane, Queensland
1276 posts
08:54pm 15/06/10 Permalink
taggs
Brisbane, Queensland
4192 posts
lol @ all the e-thugs in this thread.
09:06pm 15/06/10 Permalink
wiggleplix
Melbourne, Victoria
36 posts
Stab the fuckers in the nuts with a screwdriver- guaranteed to stop em, or you can belt out a couple of verses of Macarthur Park- same effect.
09:10pm 15/06/10 Permalink
trillion
Brisbane, Queensland
1279 posts
^ melbourne REPRESENTIN' BROOOOOO

NO LOUD NOISES ALLOWED IN ANNA'S QLD

oh is this panda policy by any chance?

09:21pm 15/06/10 Permalink
MatchFixah
Brisbane, Queensland
3357 posts
Like ma man biggy once said:

Fuck fist fights and lame scuffles
Pillow case to your face, make the shell muffle
Shoot your daughter in the calf muscle
Fuck a tussle, nickel-plated
Sprinkle coke on the floor, make it drug related
Most hated
09:30pm 15/06/10 Permalink
sleepy
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
1317 posts
/waits for CHUB's reply.

.. first thing that came to mind.

think about it mate. unless you can 'use a knife' youll find your fists are just as effective. or your speed in grabbing a throat and squeezing while forcing your opposer backwards.
if you have no speed or no fast fists then bypass the knife and get a gun. at least then for the price of one bad arses corpse youll be behind bars where you belong.

srsly who carries a weapon. words and street smarts will get you out of most situations. if you dont believe this you are a ticking time bomb waiting to get locked away. if it so happens you get fucked over royally its part of living in a society with messed up people. You might as well not cross the road because you will probably have the same chance of getting rolled and injured or killed as you do... crossing the street.

on that note...

Q: Why did the chicken cross the road?

A: Mind ya own business! Its not like it was smoking weed in the privacy of his own home...

09:38pm 15/06/10 Permalink
HurricaneJim
Brisbane, Queensland
455 posts
It's not illegal to carry a packet of cayenne pepper in your pocket, then all you do is dust them in the face.
09:46pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Delta51
Brisbane, Queensland
15 posts
if some blokes come up to you without a weapon, and you pull a weapon, you will get into trouble with the police, regardless, if they have a weapon, you are in full right to do what is necessary to protect yourself with an improvised device. However just taking a weapon with you is a silly idea as you wouldn't know how to use it, besides experience with the sunday roast. People who pick up a knife thinking they can use it off the bat or become self taught, end up with lots of scars on their hands.

My suggestion is to learn a martial art, some forms of Ju Jitsu will teach you how to fight when the odds are against you. Depending where you are i can point you out to some clubs.
10:16pm 15/06/10 Permalink
sleepy
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
1324 posts
^NINJA IN DA HOUS.....

i say again... unless you know how to use what you are carrying theres no point having it.

yes you can insert penis joke below this line ________________________________
10:26pm 15/06/10 Permalink
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
1303 posts
i just dont see the logic in carrying a knife.

if the intimidation factor doesn't work, you're forced to stab someone and possibly kill them over a handful of change in your wallet?

yes, i understand that gamer was worried about his family (probably, don't know the story so i'm allowed to assume things here) but fuck it, would you really be protecting your family in the long term being locked in the slammer for 15 years for murder?
10:45pm 15/06/10 Permalink
$ack
Brisbane, Queensland
1201 posts
seriously... 6 pages and not a peep from chub? D:
11:03pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
3852 posts
being locked in the slammer for 15 years for murder?
Cunts don't even get 15 years when they when the assault is premeditated these days, let alone self defence.
11:07pm 15/06/10 Permalink
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
1304 posts
being locked in the slammer for 15 years for murder?
Cunts don't even get 15 years when they when the assault is premeditated these days, let alone self defence.

if you use a knife against a guy who is threatening you with nothing, it isn't considered self defence :)

edit: i dunno if you're against what i said or not, but meh! lol.
11:12pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
3853 posts
Bullshit, are you saying a 7 foot tall 150 kg samoan barehanded threatens/attacks me, and i use a knife that would be unreasonable?
As long as i am not walking around starting fights with said samoans, i'd have a very good shot at self defence.
11:13pm 15/06/10 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
3541 posts
You better not come to FaceTown with a Knife.
11:25pm 15/06/10 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
5519 posts
lol
awesome faceman quote
11:29pm 15/06/10 Permalink
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
1305 posts
i could be VERY wrong
11:30pm 15/06/10 Permalink
Gesthemene
Brisbane, Queensland
867 posts
Yeah, Konstie, it's actually not that cut and dried. If you can convince a jury that you had a reasonable fear of imminent harm or danger and you feel that the only way you can defend yourself is with a knife, then it can be justified. For example, if you're about to get up close and personal with said 7-foot tall Samoan.

Still, good sodding luck with that. I know that I wouldn't risk it. Then again, I'm 6"2 and have a combined total of 15 years worth of martial arts and fencing training.
11:46pm 15/06/10 Permalink
taggs
Brisbane, Queensland
4196 posts
If you can convince a jury that you had a reasonable fear of imminent harm or danger and you feel that the only way you can defend yourself is with a knife, then it can be justified.

pretty sure the very first thing you would have to do is justify to the court why you were carrying a prohibited weapon in violation of the Qld Weapons Act 1990 (assuming you're talking about carrying one in public as the context of the thread would suggest).

As long as i am not walking around starting fights with said samoans, i'd have a very good shot at self defence.

did you even read the segments of legislation that were posted on the first page? cause that is so clearly and astoundingly wrong you just hurt my brain.

However, it is not a reasonable excuse to physically possess a knife in a public place or a school for self-defence purposes.

http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/W/WeaponsA90.pdf
12:01am 16/06/10 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
2495 posts
I think if you went to court under the plea of self defence and when they ask you

"Why did you have a knife on your person?" and you say "Because i wanted to be prepared" I think their decision is already made up.

I got mugged once, i did the usual psychological routine:
- Got trashed
- Threw up
- Got on with my life.

Grow up.

You need a psychologist, not a knife.
12:08am 16/06/10 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
3854 posts
did you even read the segments of legislation that were posted on the first page?
Please quote my post where i said this hypothetical fight occurred in public, or where i said this was a knife specifically for self defence.
12:36am 16/06/10 Permalink
Gesthemene
Brisbane, Queensland
868 posts
pretty sure the very first thing you would have to do is justify to the court why you were carrying a prohibited weapon in violation of the Qld Weapons Act 1990 (assuming you're talking about carrying one in public as the context of the thread would suggest).

I was assuming for the purposes of the continued discussion that you had a legitimate purpose for carrying a knife and that your reasons for having it weren't in question. I felt that this particular point had already been made ad nauseam
12:38am 16/06/10 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
11755 posts
After a recent incident I've given serious thought to carrying a knife to protect myself and my family while in public.
No

no, no
01:49am 16/06/10 Permalink
stinky
USA
3511 posts
dumbest idea in the world. Unless you're prepared to do a preemptive strike ( and face the moral/legal consequences of your action), by the time you would be 'allowed to respond with due force' (if that's actually allowed) chances are you're already bleeding and crying like a scared teen having her first period.

02:34am 16/06/10 Permalink
stinky
USA
3512 posts
that being said ... in Texas I'm legally allowed ( if I wanted to ) to carry a concealed knife up to 5.5" ( with some restrictions, can't be butterfly, or have double blade ).

but then, I can also do a short day course and be allowed to carry a large caliber pistol concealed about my person...
02:36am 16/06/10 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
6604 posts
I don't bother with knives anymore, such a legal shitstorm.

Just make sure you learn how to knife fight properly.

Defense with a knife is similar to boxing, it uses smart distance/range along with footwork and a quick slicing/cutting action to the attackers hands/forearms when they strike. Effectively used, the attacker only suffers superficial cuts and neither fighters were EVER placed in the range for stabbing.

If you're buying a knife so you can carry it around with no training then go wild and attempt to stab someone akin to throwing haymakers... someone is going to get killed and it's going to be a lose/lose situation.

IMO the best self defense is a strong set of legs and good cardio, just fucking leg it :D
07:57am 16/06/10 Permalink
NoLogic
Toowoomba, Queensland
261 posts
I can't believe ppl in this thread are giving advice about how to knife fight? lol... u mad?

The only sensible thing to do is get professional advice on your knife question, avoid dangerous situations/locations. Gamer if you want to know how best to protect your family, seek qualified advice. A good place to start would be your neighbourhood watch, they have access to the cops and other great resources.

As for carrying a weapon, nope, bad idea, if you can manage it - get a dog.

last edited by NoLogic at 08:12:22 16/Jun/10
08:11am 16/06/10 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
29512 posts
holy shit, good advice from chub

well i never!
08:12am 16/06/10 Permalink
do0b
Brisbane, Queensland
3818 posts
gamer is a child and this thread is a load of horse shit
08:13am 16/06/10 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
6605 posts
The only sensible thing to do is get professional advice on your knife question
He doesn't need to... you're not allowed to carry a knife for self defense and you're not allowed to use a knife for self defense, it's already been repeated a 100 times in this thread.

You just have to weigh up the pros and cons.

I wore a knife on myself 24/7 for over 10 years... in my current situation, the legal troubles vastly outweigh the need for defense.
08:19am 16/06/10 Permalink
NoLogic
Toowoomba, Queensland
264 posts
Chub ...

he does need to, if he is asking here then it's a no brainer
08:21am 16/06/10 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
12268 posts
gamer is a child and this thread is a load of horse shit

+1
08:35am 16/06/10 Permalink
GumbyNoTalent
Brisbane, Queensland
6503 posts
I just unzip my pants and turkey slap anyone wanting to harm me... they usually run away in fear before I can get a good swing going.

So no.. dont carry a knife just grow a bigger penis.
10:12am 16/06/10 Permalink
AENIMA
Cairns, Queensland
78 posts
CHUBB said 'IMO the best self defense is a strong set of legs and good cardio, just fucking leg it'

This is exactly what I did a few saturdays ago......6:30 pm , walking along the side of the river in the botanical gardens about 200m from the footbridge with my mp3 player on when there i get struck by something.....stunned I turn around and see 4....I'm pretty sure 5 young guys in hoodies - the 1 in the middle has a baseball bat.....I think they were surprised I didn't go down in a heap and this gave me a chance to turn and run...i looked back once and they were chasing after me to finish me off....i got to where there are seats and a water fountain and 2 couples helped me...1 guy was ex army and treated me for shock and looked after me until the police and ambulance arrived. Couple of hours in hospital and 7 stitches and i am released feeling lucky to be alive.....they hit me more on the top of the head as if bringing the bat down vertically...im not sure if this is what saved me / allowed me to remain concious...anyway....I hope they get whats coming to them.

lesson learnt - never wear your mp3 player when its dark, regardless if it is early or not and if there are other ppl around...you really need to be situationally aware when you're alone
01:12pm 04/07/10 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
4515 posts
if only u had ur machete u could have taken them on
01:29pm 04/07/10 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
10503 posts
you should never walk around while using a mp3/ipod period.
01:37pm 04/07/10 Permalink
Crizane Tribal
Brisbane, Queensland
3187 posts
LOL, I just thought of this thread recently. I was walking home the other night and saw a dude walk through Wickham Park at like 9:30 at night with his wife and two kids. I'm a 6'5" 105kg dude with karate and boxing experience, and no fucking way would I walk through Wickham Park alone at that time of night. There's no lighting and it's full of drunken abos.

It was during this event that I realised that street smarts is really the best self defence system. Stuff like knowing areas which are safe, staying to well lit areas (even if that means taking the long way around), making eye contact with suspicious characters and walking assertively. However, this is not perfect. I was mugged on Mains Road with cars going past. After using your brain, the next best safety measure you can take is running. If you get in a shit situation and can't run, just give an attacker your stuff. A few bucks and a phone are not worth getting stabbed or hospitalised over.

If you really must learn how to be able to scuffle, learn boxing. The overwhelming majority of Asian martial arts classes are a crock of shit for self defence. Boxing will improve your endurance and cardiovascular fitness, teach you how to strike in a fairly natural way, how to defend yourself and how to take a hit. Muay Thai and and Krav Maga both look fairly effective too, but I have no experience with them. I'm pretty keen to try out Krav Maga, I'm trying to find a good place to learn.
02:01pm 04/07/10 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
4517 posts
no ball shot no krav maga
02:04pm 04/07/10 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
3704 posts
No, you cant carry a knife unless you are a Criminal.

When you outlaw guns only outlaws have guns.
A free man has only those rights he can defend.
02:07pm 04/07/10 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
3901 posts
I'm pretty keen to try out Krav Maga, I'm trying to find a good place to learn.
The Israeli army.
02:20pm 04/07/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
5715 posts
I know a guy that does Krav Maga in Brisbane

But I suggest you watch the Penn & Teller Bullshit! episode on why martial arts is stupid and it would better to just run away or hand over your wallet.

03:01pm 04/07/10 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
3706 posts
oh no, not more Penn and Teller evidence.
03:15pm 04/07/10 Permalink
Insom
Brisbane, Queensland
3468 posts
the penn & teller ep was a very small-target attack on martial arts, even by their standards

still <3 the show though
04:05pm 04/07/10 Permalink
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
1359 posts
why is this thread still alive? shut it down.
04:12pm 04/07/10 Permalink
scuddlepossum
Brisbane, Queensland
1 posts
It's amusing though =]
04:14pm 04/07/10 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
4041 posts
As someone who was beaten to within an inch of his life with a metal pole i gotta say i feel for you gamer, especially when you were doing nothing wrong. The thing is though, a knife will only make a situation worse and will most likely end up getting used on yourself, especially if they are in a group. Your best option is to just leg it or if you're with your family, get them outta there and try to slow them down the best you can.

All you people who are saying that he shouldn't have been out at night is just stupid, what kind of fucking country do we live in where people have to live in fear? Also, cops are useless. It took 45-60 minutes for an ambulance/cops to arrive for me, luckily i managed to get to some ladies house who happened to be a nurse. If it weren't for her i'd most likely be dead.
04:23pm 04/07/10 Permalink
^rza
Brisbane, Queensland
430 posts
I dont bother with knives anymore, such a legal shitstorm.

hahaha stick to your mcain dinners cunt!

05:20pm 04/07/10 Permalink
Ivonin
Brisbane, Queensland
165 posts
Lol @ d00b
05:58pm 04/07/10 Permalink
Crizane Tribal
Brisbane, Queensland
3188 posts
But I suggest you watch the Penn & Teller Bullshit! episode on why martial arts is stupid and it would better to just run away or hand over your wallet.

I have seen it, and agree. Hence my "The overwhelming majority of Asian martial arts classes are a crock of shit for self defence" comment. I always advocate handing over your shit/running. I just do boxing for those situations where getting hit is unavoidable. Boxing will help you withstand getting hit, improving your chances of surviving a surprise hit and being able to run. I also vehemently oppose carrying weapons in public. As said previously; it is more likely that the weapon will get used against you. And no; a knife or baton will not work as a deterrent.

.they hit me more on the top of the head as if bringing the bat down vertically...im not sure if this is what saved me / allowed me to remain concious...anyway

This is the best way to knock somebody out AFAIK. From what I have read, if the impact doesn't knock the person out, the sudden compression on the spine will cause the victim to just go limp and drop like a sack of bricks.
06:01pm 04/07/10 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11102 posts

After a recent incident I've given serious thought to carrying a knife to protect myself and my family while in public.
You're more likely to accidentally stab one of your kids (you that is, other people would probably not manage this), so you probably shouldn't carry a knife. It would be easy to blame the criminal for putting children and families in harms way, but I'm going to blame gamer.
06:40pm 04/07/10 Permalink
pARODY
Brisbane, Queensland
710 posts
I was attacked by an abo on Water st in Spring hill about 12 months ago. I walked home from work every night around 9pm, listening to music on headphones from my iphone. He had his hood up and was drunk from some bottle stashed in his jacket.

He followed me for about 2 blocks before trying to ankle tap me, which he succeeded in kicking off one of my shoes. I stopped and let him walk past, which then he waited about 2-3 meters away. I pop out the headphones before I put on my shoe again. I ignore him and start walking again and as I start moving he asks "got a cig for me, cunt?" and I said "don't smoke, buddy".

"What else you got for me, cunt?"
"Nothing for you"

He swung a punch and missed. He had a good swing but just bad aim from being drunk. I put a kick into his knee and then an open palm into his throat and dropped him. Put him into a submission lock on the ground and choked him down.

I waited till he started waking up and then wandered home.

I've done many years of ninjutsu and was a bouncer for a couple years, so I was fortunate with this incident. One punch if it connected could have been game over and the outcome the opposite.

No wizards or dragons, possibly 1 ninja but he was out of practice.

For OP, I would advise not carry any weapons since anything you carry can be used against you, if you feel you NEED something, get a walking stick made of a hardwood, but if you do get into an incident and you have a weapon that can't be justified as a normal object to be on you, you will get it worse than the person attacking you as it can be construed as premeditated.

Get some training. Of anything, Karate, Ninjutsu, Boxing or even Tai Chi. Some assaults can be avoided by thinking about what you're doing and where you are. Take up the simple exercise of running, best thing you can do to win in a fight is outrun your attacker.

Firstly you'll just need to get your confidence back and put the confidence back in your family, and you need to do that without resorting to carrying a knife.
08:26pm 04/07/10 Permalink
Insom
Brisbane, Queensland
3469 posts
"abo", classy stuff

i like these tales of street crims picking the wrong guy to mess with

i assume the martial arts training teaches you the appropriate level of response, it'd be too tempting for me to go beyond defence and kick the guy's ass

luckily i'm not fat and can run
08:58pm 04/07/10 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
3708 posts
Is there like an abbo martial arts ?
09:02pm 04/07/10 Permalink
Crizane Tribal
Brisbane, Queensland
3190 posts
i assume the martial arts training teaches you the appropriate level of response, it'd be too tempting for me to go beyond defence and kick the guy's ass

Not really. As stated earlier, most McDojo Karate classes are a waste of time and money. Martial arts can be handy if you have a good teacher and actually train using it (punching air etc is useless). The most useful thing I learned from karate was about how the body moves and works. In situations where I am calm and rational, it is quite useful for grappling and restraining people. However, if I were drunk, got hit and the adrenaline is pumping etc, karate is pretty much useless to me and I would just revert to boxing mode.
09:16pm 04/07/10 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
4518 posts
You're more likely to accidentally stab one of your kids (you that is, other people would probably not manage this)

hahaha that happened to a friend of mine, we told him 1million times dont take a knife out. but he was all about stubbing cunts if they tried to start him (he was abo) him and another mate went out n got blind in the valley, they got in a fight with some big massive dude, he pulls the knife out and in the scuffle he stabs my other mate twice (bicep and sort of near the kidneys)

hahahaha silly abos carrying knives around
10:50pm 04/07/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
5722 posts

Michael Scott: Let me just cut to the chase, Dwight. I want you to fall on your sword for me.
Dwight Schrute: Ohh not gonna happen.
[cut to talking head]
Dwight Schrute: I did fall on my sword once. I was running with it in my belt. Won't happen again.
11:02pm 04/07/10 Permalink
wiggleplix
Melbourne, Victoria
59 posts
Cupcake them
04:53am 05/07/10 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
6685 posts
I have seen it, and agree. Hence my "The overwhelming majority of Asian martial arts classes are a crock of shit for self defence" comment. I always advocate handing over your shit/running. I just do boxing for those situations where getting hit is unavoidable. Boxing will help you withstand getting hit, improving your chances of surviving a surprise hit and being able to run. I also vehemently oppose carrying weapons in public. As said previously; it is more likely that the weapon will get used against you. And no; a knife or baton will not work as a deterrent.
I felt obligued to watch the episode yesterday after someone posted about it. What a load of shit.

They focused on

1. Some crazy old taichi lady that had zero self defence to offer (why even dedicate 1/3rd of the show?)
2. Some Mcdojo (which everyone already knows fails)
3. Some guy who created a hybrid street fighting system which infact they couldn't discredit AT ALL, instead they started chopping up the words of this instructor to make his system sound TOO dangerous.

IMO Boxing and Muay Thai are your best choices in Australia. With MMA growing worldwide, there's a significant number of amateur wrestling and BJJ places popping up in Aus... but any confrontation I've been in has NEVER been 1 vs 1 and I honestly don't have faith in grappling for self defence in those siutations (likely to get your face stomped).

I still believe Muay Thai >>> Boxing if only for the fact that you get significant experience in the clinch fighting (highly probable in a street fight) which boxing does no address at all.
07:17am 05/07/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
6960 posts
Some guy who created a hybrid street fighting system which infact they couldn't discredit AT ALL, instead they started chopping up the words of this instructor to make his system sound TOO dangerous.

I watched it; street fighter man was teaching people to head-kick a prone person.

Under what circuimstance is it necessary to defend yourself by kicking people in the head who are already on the ground?
08:30am 05/07/10 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
6686 posts
I watched it; street fighter man was teaching people to head-kick a prone person.

Under what circuimstance is it necessary to defend yourself by kicking people in the head who are already on the ground?
That's irrelevant though to the entire point of the episode,

8-03 Martial Arts June 24, 2010 Argues that Martial Arts does not provide real self-defense as it is typically portrayed.
His system provided "real self defence", regardless of his deadly techniques like stomping a downed in the back of the neck, his system as an example did not support their argument in the slightest.

They're pulling a Michael Moore and being sneaky cunts. They could have easily shown a boxing, a muay thai or MMA gym and their entire episode would have been invalid.

last edited by CHUB at 08:41:43 05/Jul/10
08:37am 05/07/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
6961 posts
No, the point of the episode was that self-defence was a crock of shit. It is either useless or likely to be completely over the top.

Did you miss the part where they said if you are going to use deadly force to just get a gun and save all the money & effort?

They're pulling a Michael Moore and being sneaky cunts. They could have easily shown a boxing, a muay thai or MMA gym and their entire episode would have been invalid.

They're presenting an argument that you disagree with, that's all.
08:43am 05/07/10 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
6687 posts
No, the point of the episode was that self-defence was a crock of shit. It is either useless or likely to be completely over the top.
Well they did a terrible job of it considering 1/3rd of the episode was dedicated to a TaiChi lady helping some other women with back problems or something :S

Infact one of the strongest points that anti-traditional MA author made was that all these Mcdojo students the moment they get hit, they will panic and all the self defence techniques becomes irrelevant... DUH! That's why in proper gyms you routinely get hit. In my first year of muay thai I was getting shins to the head from guys 50kg+ heavier then me, I quickly became accustomed to getting hit and your technique does not go out the window.

I'm a big Penn/Teller fan, seen S1-7 but this is one of their worst episodes so far in terms of the strength of argument.

Did you miss the part where they said if you are going to use deadly force to just get a gun and save all the money & effort?
They also live in the US where guns are legally used for self defence, that statement doesn't apply to us.
08:53am 05/07/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
6962 posts
I'm a big Penn/Teller fan, seen S1-7 but this is one of their worst episodes so far in terms of the strength of argument.

No, you disagree with the argument - that's all.

How often do you use your martial arts training in self defence, and how much have you paid in fees? Has it been a good investment?
They also live in the US where guns are legally used for self defence, that statement doesn't apply to us.

They made it clear in the episode that you needed to use reasonable force in the US when acting in self-defence, the implication being that killing someone with uber mojo was unreasonable. Can you cite the US law or judgement that says you can pop a cap to protect yourself from a punch in the head?
09:17am 05/07/10 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
6688 posts
How often do you use your martial arts training in self defence, and how much have you paid in fees? Has it been a good investment?
I'm non-confrontational and will always run if the opportunity is there... so maybe 10 times over 10 years and out of those 10 times they were all started by mates :S

Fees were cheap as, only like $7 for a ~3 hour session and you were trained by the current State champion, definitely a good investment. If only just for the fitness it's well worth it, considering I know people that pay $50/hr to get "boxercise" from some dofus "master trainer" fresh out of AIF.

Hitting people with teeps in the chest has paid for itself many times over, probably the main reason I prefer muay thai to boxing for self defence.

last edited by CHUB at 09:33:58 05/Jul/10
09:31am 05/07/10 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
5093 posts
Their point was if you use moves like that you're going to kill someone and go to prison for it, so use a gun instead. If you illegally carry a gun in Australia, and you kill someone with it, you go to prison. Their point still stands.
Also, their point with the Tai-Chi lady was that chi is bullshit, just like they showed breaking boards was bullshit.
09:33am 05/07/10 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
6689 posts
Their point was if you use moves like that you're going to kill someone and go to prison for it, so use a gun instead. If you illegally carry a gun in Australia, and you kill someone with it, you go to prison. Their point still stands.
You guys are assuming the fight had witnesses or was caught on camera doing something dirty like stomping a neck.

If you have 2 scenarios in Australia.

1. You kill someone unarmed in the street in self defence
2. You kill someone with your gun in the street in self defence

I bet I know who's more fucked without direct evidence, no.2.

EDIT: had to add the "self defence" part, we're not talking murder here :D

last edited by CHUB at 09:40:03 05/Jul/10
09:37am 05/07/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
6963 posts
I'm non-confrontational and will always run if the opportunity is there... so maybe 10 times over 10 years and out of those 10 times they were all started by mates :S

Muggings prevented = 0

This is about self-defence, not fitness. You can achieve fitness without learning how to kill people, and without spending any money at all.

1. You kill someone unarmed in the street in self defence
2. You kill someone with your gun in the street in self defence

I bet I know who's more fucked without direct evidence, no.2

I reckon if the coroner presented evidence of curb-biting and excessive force that you'd be just as fucked.

In both situations running away would be a better option than self-defending. Being able to run away is free and requires no special training.
09:46am 05/07/10 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
5094 posts
You guys are assuming the fight had witnesses or was caught on camera doing something dirty like stomping a neck.
Yeah, I mean it's not like they'd do an autopsy on them and be able to tell you've stomped on their head on anything. The whole point is going over the top with violence lands you in prison, something most people want to avoid. So it doesn't matter if using a gun adds years to your sentence, because it's going to fuck your cosy little life up either way.
09:48am 05/07/10 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
6690 posts

Muggings prevented = 0

This is about self-defence
Huh? If someone attacks me and I defend myself, it's self defense... regardless of how I ended up in that situation.

In both situations running away would be a better option than self-defending. Being able to run away is free and requires no special training.
You can't always run.

Also what about family and friends, do you run then and leave them? What's your solution for that scenario?

Yeah, I mean it's not like they'd do an autopsy on them and be able to tell you've stomped on their head on anything. The whole point is going over the top with violence lands you in prison, something most people want to avoid. So it doesn't matter if using a gun adds years to your sentence, because it's going to fuck your cosy little life up either way.
There's a middle ground with unarmed self defence but not really with a gun, I don't advocate the over the top violence taught by some systems (the guy on P/T's included). We're both arguing over something we both disagree with... this point is going nowhere :)
10:03am 05/07/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
6964 posts
Huh? If someone attacks me and I defend myself, it's self defense... regardless of how I ended up in that situation.

My mates don't attack me. IMO if you need self-defence from your friends, you need better friends, not better martial arts training.
Also what about family and friends, do you run then and leave them? What's your solution for that scenario?

I've never been in such a situation, and nobody I know has been in such a situation. I don't take my family for midnight ice cream through ghettos. I don't have a plan for dealing with lots of unlikely scenarios!

Its possible that one day a bunch of bad guys will invade my house, kill my dogs and we can't get away easily. I don't think I can kung fu my way out of that, regardless of training, and defending myself isn't going to help my wife or kids - they still need to run away from bad guys. Assuming I get past the sudden shock of the invasion (this is in reality much harder than I reckon most people think) I'd probably Hulk up and try to buy the team some time to run away ... but its really a no-win, there's only so much you can do with self-defence dragon punching.

Anyway, given that I don't feel threatened at all, why do I need expensive self-defence training? Am I missing something and the average person now needs to defend their family from violent assault as a matter of course?
10:24am 05/07/10 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
10507 posts
My mates don't attack me. IMO if you need self-defence from your friends, you need better friends, not better martial arts training.

i think he meant his friends start the fights with randoms.

isnt there some law here in australia where your body is considered a lethal weapon if you know martial arts?

edit:
Anyway, given that I don't feel threatened at all, why do I need expensive self-defence training?

you dont, but a lot of people dont learn martial arts for self defence reasons. they learn it because they want to and because they enjoy it.

last edited by ravn0s at 10:55:31 05/Jul/10
10:52am 05/07/10 Permalink
Corrupt
Brisbane, Queensland
1568 posts
Penn and Teller are bullshit themselves rofl. But made some good points on the selling techniques.

last edited by Corrupt at 10:57:14 05/Jul/10
10:55am 05/07/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
6968 posts
i think he meant his friends start the fights with randoms.

Doesn't really negate the poor friends response, does it? It also seems to blur the notion of self-defence somewhat - is stepping in to help a mate who started a fight self-defence? Not from my chair.

I had a mate like that, loved to start fights when we went out. It got old, I started to avoid going out with him, and we're no longer friends.
you dont, but a lot of people dont learn martial arts for self defence reasons. they learn it because they want to and because they enjoy it.

Which is cool!

But the discussion is about the Penn & Teller episode that explored the merits (and value) of self-defence training for self-defence purposes; not martial arts for fitness, fun and self-esteem.
11:05am 05/07/10 Permalink
Seven
Wollongong, New South Wales
1359 posts
When I was in Singapore I was flirting with some chicks and was later dragged from the club by six guys and beaten severely. My mates had just left the floor to check out a flaming drink (so I don't blame them) and left me with the girls.

The bouncer was in on it and I was left feeling pretty helpless. Situation doesn't mean I needed a knife for next time. Simply means I need a friend nearby next time and to avoid that club for a while.

The rest of my trip was fine. I didn't flirt with the girlfriend of the DJ at any other clubs (if only I knew at the time) and had a blast. If you want a knife, you're making Australia worse for everyone.
12:04pm 05/07/10 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
6691 posts
Doesn't really negate the poor friends response, does it? It also seems to blur the notion of self-defence somewhat - is stepping in to help a mate who started a fight self-defence? Not from my chair.

I had a mate like that, loved to start fights when we went out. It got old, I started to avoid going out with him, and we're no longer friends.
What I mean by starting fights is they willingly engage in them, they may not have been the one to instigate it. eg. If someone cat calls at a mates GF and they respond by going up to them, IMO in my head my friend holds equal responsibility for starting the fight where as the "tough cunts" would believe the guy that whistled started it and deserves a beating.

I don't help friends fight I break them up, I'm not going to hit ANYONE if it's not needed. Sometimes I have to hit the random to get him off a mate, sometimes I have to hit my mate to get him off a random (as opposed to joining in, which is the image you have in your head it seems).

Problem is nobody else seems to have the intention of stopping the fight and 100% of the time one of the randoms ends up coming after me... thats when the self defence comes into play.

Damn this thread, just got back from Strathpine with $300 of muay thai gear and gave my old trainer a call.... thread has me wanting to kick someone in the head.

I didn't flirt with the girlfriend of the DJ at any other clubs (if only I knew at the time) and had a blast.
Corresponds exactly to.
where as the "tough cunts" would believe the guy that whistled started it and deserves a beating.

Don't you just hate angry douchebags.

last edited by CHUB at 12:14:38 05/Jul/10
12:06pm 05/07/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
6973 posts
^^

You don't see how your behaviour and choice of companions influences anything here?
12:15pm 05/07/10 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
6692 posts
^^

You don't see how your behaviour and choice of companions influences anything here?
My behaviour, no? You might have to explain that one to me.

My choice of friends? Yep. I've only been to the city/valley drinking ~20 times in 6 years with a 50% chance of a fight... I can't stand it, I just drink at home now.
12:20pm 05/07/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
6975 posts
^^

My behaviour, no? You might have to explain that one to me.

My choice of friends? Yep. I've only been to the city/valley drinking ~20 times in 6 years with a 50% chance of a fight... I can't stand it, I just drink at home now.

Your choice of friends, going drinking with them and then choosing to involve yourself in their fights is all behavioural.
12:21pm 05/07/10 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
6693 posts
Your choice of friends, going drinking with them and then choosing to involve yourself in their fights is all behavioural.
This is in the past, the first 2 don't apply anymore since I drink at home now.

As for trying to stop fights, I stand by that, not really any other option besides stand there and let it continue.
12:26pm 05/07/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
6976 posts
As for trying to stop fights, I stand by that, not really any other option besides stand there and let it continue.

Hmm?
Problem is nobody else seems to have the intention of stopping the fight and 100% of the time one of the randoms ends up coming after me... thats when the self defence comes into play.

Your solution appears to expand the fight rather than contain it - it adds you as a combatant. I'm all for taking action to stop fights, but your participation in drunken brawls doesn't appear to help at all, just makes it worse mate?

If they have no intention of stopping the fight, how does jumping in help anything, aside from helping you feel like you did something about it by actually making it worse?
12:29pm 05/07/10 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
6694 posts
Your solution appears to expand the fight rather than contain it - it adds you as a combatant. I'm all for taking action to stop fights, but your participation in drunken brawls doesn't appear to help at all, just makes it worse mate?

If they have no intention of stopping the fight, how does jumping in help anything, aside from helping you feel like you did something about it by actually making it worse?
The people who attack me are already involved in the fight :P

I don't get how it makes it worse? You're really starting to no make any sense now. Besides possible expansion of the fight, do you have anymore examples?

last edited by CHUB at 12:43:20 05/Jul/10
12:38pm 05/07/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
6977 posts

The people who attack me are already involved in the fight :P

I don't get how it makes it worse? You're really starting to no make any sense now.

So, there are four people fighting over something stupid because they are drunk idiots.

You attempt to break it up, and "100% of the time" end up in the fight needing to defend yourself.

Now there are five people fighting. How has this improved matters? If we accept that people fighting is bad (this is why you were trying to stop them fighting), then more people fighting is worse, right?
12:43pm 05/07/10 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
6695 posts
So, there are four people fighting over something stupid because they are drunk idiots.

You attempt to break it up, and "100% of the time" end up in the fight.

Now there are five people fighting. How has this improved matters? If we accept that people fighting is bad, more people fighting is worse, right?
Just like police go in with the intention to stop the fight, not to join it... when someone swings at them, then they retaliate in self defence.

Same shit except with a citizen who is substantially less effective.

This is going nowhere, lets just go play some FPS instead :)

last edited by CHUB at 12:52:27 05/Jul/10
12:51pm 05/07/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
6978 posts
Just like police go in with the intention to stop the fight, not to join it... when someone swings at them, then they retaliate in self defence.

Same shit except with a citizen who is substantially less effective.

So you're the private police now, armed with your martial arts training?

That's called a vigilante.
12:53pm 05/07/10 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
10510 posts
hes mother fucking batman
12:54pm 05/07/10 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
6696 posts

No point going any further.
12:56pm 05/07/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
6979 posts

No point going any further.

If you say so; I was just providing my opinion!
01:01pm 05/07/10 Permalink
funky
Brisbane, Queensland
665 posts
thats hilarious chub - i've been out drinking in the city/valley probably close to 10x the amount you say you have since i turned 18 (I'm 25) and i've been involved in exactly 1 'fight' - where I got punched in the mouth at the RE by a random maori who was soon booted out, after I didn't retaliate (just answered bouncers questions as to why I was bleeding from the lips, haha). No provocation, he just belted me one, he was a little guy but there was about 7 of his 'cousins' around who assured me that if i went out to the carpark with them i could get back a 'free hit' on him. i digress, but what i'm saying is that maybe hogfather has a point if you are getting into fights that regularly
01:17pm 05/07/10 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
3712 posts

01:34pm 05/07/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
31347 posts
This thread is not going to do us any favours about gamers being violent
01:36pm 05/07/10 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
12403 posts
you want to fight about it trog?
01:42pm 05/07/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
6981 posts
You bring a knife pave, I'll bring a gun. CHUB can use his ninja powers.
01:44pm 05/07/10 Permalink
ctd
Brisbane, Queensland
8908 posts
FUck yeah mad post faceman. Remember those skills for next time someone invades Facetown with proof about 9/11. Forgot about that show watched the first 2 eps and it was awesome.

Had some epic Seagal quotes. some guy broke into a car and starts resisting arrest "That man is clearly not a zen master"

I was fairly sure that gamer was only 14 years old from previous posts on the foramz. After this one I am scared a bit.
01:50pm 05/07/10 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
3713 posts
Actually posted that for his comments, at about 2mins in, where he says about using your wisdom to avoid conflict if possible. "take it down" or de-escalate a situation.

03:40pm 05/07/10 Permalink
simul
Brisbane, Queensland
889 posts

I think this is a bloody good method if you get the chance. I was in SFO last month, which has a shitload of homeless people. Usually when they come up and ask for money or try to fight you just say that you don't have any and walk off.

One guy came up, with some cuts on his hands and played the AIDS card (not violently, just giving his story). I immediately gave him 10$ and got out of there as soon as I can. I'm 95% sure it was a bullshit excuse, but faced in that situation, my subconscious reaction was just to do what he wanted. So I think it would work.

As for the knife, just don't go there. There would be a high probability that one of the people who attacked you/family had a knife on them. If you had a knife during the attack and had pulled it, they would have retaliated and you'd be a lot more pissed off/upset now than you already are.

My thoughts are with those kinds of people/gangs that the money is only a trophy, theres much easier ways to make a living. I think its more a phycological condition that they need power (beating up people = power apparently). Adding a knife into the mix is only going to agitate them, and give them a challenge/opportunity to feel more powerful.
04:03pm 05/07/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
6983 posts
stupid fucking wrong thread.
04:14pm 05/07/10 Permalink
Insom
Brisbane, Queensland
3470 posts
gamers are very calm rational people, if u disagree i'll smash u

also:

I don't take my family for midnight ice cream through ghettos.

haha
07:33pm 05/07/10 Permalink
wiggleplix
Melbourne, Victoria
60 posts
You could always try the Chris Judd pressure point move but it will cost you 3 weeks.
09:25pm 05/07/10 Permalink
tequila
Brisbane, Queensland
7692 posts
lols at this thread still
you know whats fucking awesome? because I hold the right license, I can submit my paper work, wait the 21~ (28?) days and go pick this bad boy up (if I wanted to miss a few mortgage repayments that is - and probably find a new wife but still)

Price: $7,995.00
The Steyr HS .460 is a long range high precision rifle, with an effective range of up to 1,500 metres (1,640 yards). They are designed as a single shot bolt action rifle. They feature a cold hammer forged fluted barrel, adjustable bi-pod and a highly efficient muzzle brake, which substantially reduces recoil to increase shooting comfort. The top mounted Picatinny rail (Mil. Std. 1913 rail) allows quick and easy installation of various optics or night vision devices. The is easily stripped in the field.

Calibre .460 Steyr, Mag Capacity 1 , Barrel Length 833mm , Overall Length 1370mm , NormWeight 12.4kgs.

Steyr HS 460 (Australian Store)

last edited by tequila at 21:47:37 05/Jul/10
09:46pm 05/07/10 Permalink
cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
1603 posts
or the fevola pressure points
09:47pm 05/07/10 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
3902 posts
What about the Hoppoate pressure points?
10:37pm 05/07/10 Permalink
tequila
Brisbane, Queensland
7693 posts
thats a shit idea Bah
10:49pm 05/07/10 Permalink
taggs
4288 posts
oh no, not more Penn and Teller evidence.

i think the reason faceman gets so butthurt whenever penn and teller are brought up is that they rationally and succinctly explained why anyone who takes heed of any stupid conspiracy theories is seven different kinds of retarded.

add corrupt in there too for good measure.
12:05am 06/07/10 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
17927 posts
Corrupt is the worst.

If he had a knife he probably could have fended off his anal rapist though.
12:20am 06/07/10 Permalink
adBot
ads
Internet
--
ads keep websites free
12:20am 06/07/10 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.

Advertise with Us | Download Media Kit | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
© Copyright 2001-2014 AusGamers™ Pty Ltd. ACN 093 772 242.
A Mammoth Media web development / Australian VPS Hosting by Mammoth Networks