We check out the fast-paced third-person Xbox One exclusive Sunset Overdrive to see just what it has in store.
Sunset Overdrive Reviewed
We take a look at Firaxis' sci-fi take on the Civ universe
Civilization: Beyond Earth Reviewed
We sit down with Blizzard's Ion Hazzikostas to talk all things World of Warcraft, including upcoming expansion Warlords of Draenor.
Talking Draenor with Ion Hazzikostas
Here it is, AusGamers looks at The Evil Within, and just what you can expect from grandaddy horror creator Shinji Mikami
The Evil Within Review
The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable
Plasma
1002 posts
Hey,

I lost power to my computer a few days ago at the exact moment I was saving some files.

I've since been using it, but its frozen a few times. I checked Event Viewer and I see lots of Error logs indicating:

The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume \Device\HarddiskVolume2.

I'm running RAID 1 using an Intel controller (according to device manager its a 'Storage Controller' with a name of 'Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO SATA RAID Controller').

I'm hesitent to run chkdsk because I suspect it may destroy legit files?

The Intel site is useless and I can't find a utility of theirs to check my RAID and correct any errors.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers
03:52pm 27/03/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:52pm 27/03/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
4587 posts
I JUST HAD THIS EXACT SAME PROBLEM!!!!

I hit the reset button on the computer when I couldn't get Windows media centre to unf*** itself.

I've already recovered the files from it and backed them up. I didn't need to use any recovery tools because I was still able to read the data - but I cannot write new data or delete the data.

I am running chkdsk right now on a 2 terrabyte raided drive, it's taking a very long time.

How f*****g frustrating, hey!!?!?

I will be disconnecting the reset button so I am not tempted to do this again, and moving one of my UPS units over to that machine.

last edited by thermite at 16:14:09 27/Mar/10
04:09pm 27/03/10 Permalink
Gesthemene
Brisbane, Queensland
737 posts
If you're stuck, get a copy of GetDataBack. It's a good little program that will scan your drive and report what it can see (even through multiple, successive formats etc).

It's not free, but iirc you can get hold of a demo version that might do what you need.
04:11pm 27/03/10 Permalink
Plasma
1003 posts
Thanks for the replies.

Surely though there is a utility that Intel or MS should provide that checks the disks reliably for errors and corrects them, given its a RAID setup?
04:14pm 27/03/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
4588 posts
I also checked my raid management tools, and other than wiping the drive and starting all over there doesn't appear to be such options. I'm hoping the chkdsk will do something, but so far it doesnt' seem to even be reporting anything, we shall see.
04:17pm 27/03/10 Permalink
Plasma
1004 posts
Which tools are they, and where did you get them?
04:28pm 27/03/10 Permalink
Persay
Brisbane, Queensland
6168 posts
sounds like ur boned. Throw it in the bin and start again. Ur filez sucked anyway, noob.
04:30pm 27/03/10 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
5794 posts
I lost power to my computer a few days ago at the exact moment I was saving some files.

I've since been using it, but its frozen a few times

After an unclean shutdown, the Intel drivers will verify your volume. It can take a few hours depending on the size of the drive. Your hard-drive will be s*** slow during the verify and it's best to usually close all your apps and let it sit until it's done.

If you reboot again during this phase, you can actually corrupt your data. Did you wait for it to finish?

last edited by parabol at 16:54:45 27/Mar/10
04:53pm 27/03/10 Permalink
Plasma
1005 posts
I don't remember seeing it, there was nothing in Windows at least.

I did see the usual 'windows did not shutdown correctly' message in DOS though when the PC was booting; but I canceled it as I was not sure if it was going to destroy anything. I can do an unclean shutdown again to get that message back though, its just chkdsk afaik.
05:08pm 27/03/10 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
5795 posts
I don't remember seeing it, there was nothing in Windows at least.

Ah ok, you were using just the out of the box Windows RAID drivers? They only give feedback through Event Viewer which is only useful IF you happen to have a peek. That's probably why you didn't see anything.

It's generally useful to have Intel's console installed too (full drivers and console here, get anything above v9.5, do not get the buggy v8.9!), as it gives immediate feedback when something goes wrong and lets you browse/check the status of your volume.

Here's my console window for the stable v8.8 driver:

http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~boldajis/images/imsc.png

(It may not help with your current problem, but just some suggestions for the future)
05:49pm 27/03/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
4592 posts
I just finished with chkdsk, and do you know what I learnt?

"Checkdisk complete"

useful! :(

Chkdsk has wiped all the data off the drive and it's still corrupted.

Which tools are they, and where did you get them?

They came with my hard drives (western digital), and they don't help in this case.

Someone needs to invent a thing where you can cut power to the drive whenever you bloody like and it won't damage the file system. You reading this, yes you, do you want to be rich and successfull? Because if you were selling that, I would buy it. Not an UPS per se, but maybe a tiny brain and battery on the drive. I dunno, you work it out. Revolution people, come on.

last edited by thermite at 17:58:52 27/Mar/10
05:57pm 27/03/10 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
1215 posts
^ It's not just the drive, the computer attached to the drive is in control of writes to the drive so if it loses power you're screwed anyway.

Someone needs to invent a thing where you can cut power to the drive whenever you bloody like and it won't damage the file system.

It already exists, it's called a UPS.
06:22pm 27/03/10 Permalink
Persay
Brisbane, Queensland
6172 posts
but i want it for freeee
06:33pm 27/03/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
4594 posts
^ It's not just the drive, the computer attached to the drive is in control of writes to the drive so if it loses power you're screwed anyway.

That would be the point of the invention, to get around that obstacle.

It already exists, it's called a UPS.

You must not have read the part where I said "Not an UPS". That doesn't work with the reset button, or a plug coming out of the UPS.

You're out of your element on this innovation Dazhel.
07:21pm 27/03/10 Permalink
iWhoop
Brisbane, Queensland
15789 posts
It's not just the drive, the computer attached to the drive is in control of writes to the drive so if it loses power you're screwed anyway.

I suppose you could have the drive finish writing out whatever is in the cache and then gracefully shut down but it seems like it might be easier to have an iSCSI drive or something and use that for all your critical files and just have windows for games/applications that way if anything goes wrong you can just format or restore from an image and reattach the iscsi drive & be back up and running.
07:32pm 27/03/10 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
1216 posts
Problem is that, is the disk controller cache consistent with what you'd expect at the logical file system level? If it isn't your on disk data is still borked.

There is technology out there that solves the problem, e.g. journalling file systems. NTFS only journals metadata, not actual data though. There are file systems out there that journal both data and metadata to prevent data loss in the even of power failure but performance is crap. Transactional NTFS was introduced in the last few years with Vista but isn't widespread enough as a feature that can be counted on.
07:46pm 27/03/10 Permalink
iWhoop
Brisbane, Queensland
15790 posts
^^I've got journaling turned on on my NAS, I had to force it to turn off once, when it rebooted it checked the volume and all was well. Performance might take a hit but maybe it's worth using if you value your data.

It's only write performance that takes a hit isn't it?

last edited by iWhoop at 20:23:52 27/Mar/10
08:22pm 27/03/10 Permalink
Phase
Gold Coast, Queensland
811 posts
your problem was caused by the use of write cache on your raid.

Essentially anything that is about to get written is saved into a small cache to allow the operating system to continue to do stuff while the raid controller handles the data being written to disk.

Because this cache is ram on the device (or hard-drive) when the power is reset the data is lost.

in servers this is overcome by the use of a Raid controller with a build in battery.
"Battery Backed Write Cache"

essentially means that whatever it was intending on writing to the drive gets saved.
11:03am 28/03/10 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
6737 posts

(full drivers and console here, get anything above v9.5, do not get the buggy v8.9!)

Dude, you linked him to the buggy ones!

8.8's here

11:48am 28/03/10 Permalink
Plasma
1006 posts
Thanks; I got the latest version and its now called Intel Rapid Storage Technology.

I ran 'verify and repair' and it fixed 2 issues, but Windows log still shows chkdsk errors; Google does not say whether its safe to run on RAID :(
11:55am 28/03/10 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
5799 posts
Dude, you linked him to the buggy ones!

Huh? If you click "Get the latest driver" in my link it takes you to version 9.​​6.​​0.​​1014.
01:55pm 28/03/10 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
6739 posts
Ah ok..
I misunderstood you as the page you linked to says
"Get the latest driver - version PV 8.9"
Which you said not to get so hence my confusion :/

All good, carry on :)
02:16pm 28/03/10 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
11468 posts
the matrix console parabol screeny'd wil also be on one of the discs that came with the pc plasma, or you can grab the current version from the dell site. it won't help you at all with your filesystem issues though :/
09:31pm 28/03/10 Permalink
Plasma
1009 posts
Thanks everyone for the help.

I've managed to fix the problem.

What I first did was install the 'Intel Rapid Storage Technology' software (aka Matrix Console) and let it 'verify and repair' my RAID array.

It initially reported everything as OK and working properly; but after a check it found 2 'Verification errors'.

I ran it again directly after and it picked up 5 more; I ran it again after that and it found 0. Ran it again and it found 0.

I then saw Windows Event Viewer still showed the error (sort of expected).

So now that the RAID was supposedly OK according to Intel (eg physically its OK), all that was left to fix was logic errors (using chkdsk). I let that run and everythign is fine now. No apparently lost files.

There was info on Google suggesting to not run chkdsk on a RAID array; but I clarified it in that you should not run it to repair physical errors (I let the Matrix Console do that); just let it repair logical errors (I did not tick 'scan for and recover bad sectors' in chkdsk).

Thanks!
09:12am 29/03/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:12am 29/03/10 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.