We check out the fast-paced third-person Xbox One exclusive Sunset Overdrive to see just what it has in store.
Sunset Overdrive Reviewed
We take a look at Firaxis' sci-fi take on the Civ universe
Civilization: Beyond Earth Reviewed
We sit down with Blizzard's Ion Hazzikostas to talk all things World of Warcraft, including upcoming expansion Warlords of Draenor.
Talking Draenor with Ion Hazzikostas
Here it is, AusGamers looks at The Evil Within, and just what you can expect from grandaddy horror creator Shinji Mikami
The Evil Within Review
userinit.exe- Application error" how to fix??
Minxy
Brisbane, Queensland
446 posts
Okay... So I'm really terrible with computers, and somehow I've managed to stuff mine up. I was just using it and it was playing up when I was trying to access folders, the directory would just keep closing down on me. So I restarted the computer and now on the welcome screen a box pops up saying "userinit.exe failed" or something like that, and all I get is my computer background, no desktop items, taskbar etc etc and other then pressing ctrl alt del to get the task manager to access things, I can't do anything else. Help anyone????
10:06am 18/06/08 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:06am 18/06/08 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
24126 posts
What is the exact error message? Best place to start is to google the exact error message you get.
10:24am 18/06/08 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
21864 posts
got xp cd?

windows key + R
sfc /scannow
10:25am 18/06/08 Permalink
Minxy
Brisbane, Queensland
447 posts
userinit.exe - Application Error
"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application."

I've tried google, but everyone's using really high tech terms that I don't understand...
10:25am 18/06/08 Permalink
Minxy
Brisbane, Queensland
448 posts
Found the xp cd, but the windows key doesn't work. I can get to the cd using the task manager tho, but I'm not sure what to click on then
10:43am 18/06/08 Permalink
Fireblood
Brisbane, Queensland
8300 posts
10:46am 18/06/08 Permalink
Minxy
Brisbane, Queensland
449 posts
Hey jackass, I already said I tried google so stfu
10:50am 18/06/08 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
392 posts
I just finished fixing a friends PC with exactly the same problem.

It was some malware that had screwed with the logon/permissions.

Once the error has come up and you clear it. Bring up the task manager. Run explorer.exe (from c:\windows\explorer.exe). Hopefully this will bring your desktop back. If it doesn't then you will need to run msconfig. In the startup tab check for anything that doesn't need to be started and untick them. Close the window and restart. It will probably do the same error this time try to run explorer, hopefully you get a desktop back. You need to run spybot and an antivirus over you system to clean out whatever has done this.
10:53am 18/06/08 Permalink
reso
I can't read
Brisbane, Queensland
4394 posts
Use task manager to bring up the run window and try Spooks line.
10:53am 18/06/08 Permalink
Minxy
Brisbane, Queensland
450 posts
Sweet, what you said Mass worked perfectly. Google was telling me to do all sorts of complicated stuff. Thanks heaps :)
10:56am 18/06/08 Permalink
Minxy
Brisbane, Queensland
451 posts
Great. Now I have a rundll32.exe error lol
11:39am 18/06/08 Permalink
ara
Sydney, New South Wales
2122 posts

i think it is time to back up the data you want and reinstall. your box has been owned. no matter what you run over it there will always be something left in there, some unknown malware.
11:40am 18/06/08 Permalink
Minxy
Brisbane, Queensland
452 posts
yea, I tried to fix the rundll32.exe error, but i can't access command prompt either due to a cmd.exe error... sigh
11:43am 18/06/08 Permalink
`ViPER`
Brisbane, Queensland
411 posts
I also had to fix a mate's pc with the exact errors you all are posting, I figured it was just easier to rebuild. Probably could have fixed it but it never would have been perfect.
11:52am 18/06/08 Permalink
stinky
Brisbane, Queensland
2626 posts
do a repair install over the top with your XP CD. That should get your windows working again. Once that's done if you can get into windows installed HiJackThis and post the log to this thread.
12:17pm 18/06/08 Permalink
Minxy
Brisbane, Queensland
453 posts
Yea, I figure I'll wait til J comes over tmrw and see if he can sort something out for me. It's usable atm, I've only been using this computer for a little while so I don't have much on here, but I've backed up anything important anyway for the time being
12:20pm 18/06/08 Permalink
sif greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
396 posts
format.

this fixes everything.
12:38pm 18/06/08 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
6240 posts
Userinit.exe is used to run scripts at logon, specified via HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVerion\Winlogon\userinit
(off the top of my head)

imo malware or corrupted userinit.exe

I think malware is more likely (probably some stupid mouse pointer or IM smilies face gadget).

Either way, 2 realistic options.
1. format & reinstall
2. repair eg. MS KB 315341

There are other options but if you are asking here you probably can't handle them.

05:31pm 18/06/08 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
7008 posts
get your boy to figure out what caused this, and decide the best action to take once you have that figured out.

reinstalling/repairing the OS isn't going to do anything if your machine is dying except waste your time

last edited by koopz at 18:59:14 18/Jun/08
06:49pm 18/06/08 Permalink
Minxy
Brisbane, Queensland
454 posts
Thanks guys :)
07:05pm 18/06/08 Permalink
`ViPER`
Brisbane, Queensland
412 posts
A quick read of a few other forums seems to suggest that its something going around at the moment, do know what actual virus it is but the moral of the story is that you might be able to boot into safe mode and clean the virus but its more effort than its worth.

Backup and re-install.
07:45pm 18/06/08 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
393 posts
You don't need to do the full repair or reinstall, I just fixed this problem. I also got the rundll error after fixing the userinit.exe problem. Install and run a full spybot s&d scan pre-startup. Run a full AV scan after this.

Check for any processes that shouldn't be running, in task manager and also in msconfig/startup. Check the registry settings for the userinit.exe

hklm/software/microsoft/windows nt/current version/winlogon

it should have value c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe,

After doing all this (I had about 3 unknown processes starting up) after a reboot the Rundll error was gone.

08:21pm 18/06/08 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
5630 posts
I've had mixed success fixing this at work
F*****g spyware and malware s***e...

Copy both "C:\Winodws\system32\userinit.exe" + "C:\Winodws\system32\user.exe" from a known good same working version of windows (XP Home to XP Home, XP Pro to XP Pro)
Boot up via a PE disc or some other method of looking at the filestystem
Copy and or replace the above files into the munted Windows installation and reboot

Usually works tho on other occasions, it's screwed right royal and needs a Repair installation.
^ As Mass has also said. Check the value within the registry and edit it so that it only has "c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe" and nothing else

Good Luck :)

08:37pm 18/06/08 Permalink
egor
New South Wales
1 posts

I was just about to give up on this crap frigin virus and do a complete reinstall when after hours searching google I came across a program called Uniblue Registry Booster 2. Just do a complete scan and and watch all the viruses pop in your Registry then reboot and bingo that s*** virus is gone forever and you once again have control of your computer again. This virus infected one of my other computers on my network and had to be reformated and i thought this was going to be number 2, but thanks to Reg Boost, problem solved. I tried Spybot , Adaware and just about every other spyware program out there and this is the only one that fixed userinit.exe error. The people who implanted this code need flogging with a rusty rabbit trap. Scumbags.

PS. You need the full version of Reg Boost 2 to remove the viruses. It comes as a stand alone program or you can get the Uniblue Power Suite which includes Regitry Booster 2, Speed Up My Pc and Spy Eraser. I use the Power Suite and all my computers are running like a dream. Hope this can help everyone who is infected with this s***.
06:23pm 14/07/08 Permalink
eighty-eight
Brisbane, Queensland
807 posts
haha dude you got scammed ^ 95% of the time programs like that claim you have a virus/ spyware when you infact dont and say to remove them you have to pay for the program.

all you need is spybot S&D and AVG.
06:53pm 14/07/08 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
2900 posts
You assume he actually bought the program and isnt advertising it.
07:33pm 14/07/08 Permalink
richie
Auckland, New Zealand
1 posts
heyyy guys, am tottaly distressed,,, someone help!! lol

i started off with some userit.exe probs, took Mass's advice n somehow managed to get my icons back on d desktop... however, after running spybot scan i'm recieving endless error messages on ' bad image' n ' check against installation diskette'... :(((
any advice?
03:56pm 19/07/08 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
9149 posts
I love it when chicks say jackass
04:04pm 19/07/08 Permalink
Minxy
Brisbane, Queensland
547 posts
why's that infi?
07:48pm 19/07/08 Permalink
Kimbo
Melbourne, Victoria
294 posts

I'd say use a boot disk and have a look at what is starting up

Hiren's Boot CD over the years has been a god send.

Process Explorer and Autoruns are alos good tools.
08:58pm 19/07/08 Permalink
richie
Auckland, New Zealand
2 posts
hey minxy... did u get ur problem solved? i cant seem to solve mine :'(

am stuck with 100's of error msgs

"the application or DLL C:/ WINDOWS/system32__c00C7 0D.dat is not a valid windows image. please check this against your installation diskette"
09:04pm 19/07/08 Permalink
sif greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
547 posts
Just.
Format.
11:16pm 19/07/08 Permalink
Minxy
Brisbane, Queensland
548 posts
I just did the Run explorer.exe (from c:\windows\explorer.exe thing and that brought my desktop back. Then I noticed I couldn't access command prompt or add remove programs etc, so I installed avg (I'd just got the computer, so I had no virus protection on it yet) ran a whole computer scan and that fixed it.
11:16pm 19/07/08 Permalink
richie
Auckland, New Zealand
3 posts
format? :(((

thanx, minxy... yea i just spoke to this guy and he asked me to download AVG as that should fix d problem.... i reallllllyyyyhope it works!!
06:53am 21/07/08 Permalink
system
Internet
--
06:53am 21/07/08 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.