Grab yourself a beta key for World of Warcraft's fifth expansion right here!
World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor Beta Giveaway
AusGamers takes a deep and hard look at just what Bungie has to offer in their newest sci-fi world, and just where our Destiny may lay.
Destiny Reviewed
AusGamers had the chance to sit down and chat with lead programmer and local Australian Ian Hern on all things Kraden’s Crypt.
Interview with Ian Hern on Kraden's Crypt
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
Why did my monitor come with two cables?
Idol
Brisbane, Queensland
666 posts
One's the normal monitor cable and one's some wider one, what's the deal, my video card can connect both; what is the difference?
05:02pm 21/04/07 Permalink
system
Internet
--
05:02pm 21/04/07 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
7926 posts
DVI noob. Use the wider one if you can, better image quality :]
05:08pm 21/04/07 Permalink
Cl1nt
Gold Coast, Queensland
709 posts
plug em both in and see if you can break anything.
05:16pm 21/04/07 Permalink
Chakas
Brisbane, Queensland
2049 posts
Splice them together and see what happens?
05:44pm 21/04/07 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
9785 posts

DVI is digital. VGA is analogue.
05:45pm 21/04/07 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Wynnum, Queensland
14559 posts
Use the big DVI one. You'll get a better picture quality.

8-)
05:46pm 21/04/07 Permalink
ctd
Brisbane, Queensland
5197 posts
DUdez how com my power cord only has 2 big sticky outy thingys but the power point in the wall has 3 holes.
06:09pm 21/04/07 Permalink
whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
11217 posts
How do I turn off my computer? I see a start button but there's no stop button. plz hlp.
06:15pm 21/04/07 Permalink
Insom
Brisbane, Queensland
1412 posts
where's the any key? i see catarl, pigup, but there's no any key, ah well i'll just order a tab
06:23pm 21/04/07 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
20388 posts
How do I turn off my computer? I see a start button but there's no stop button. plz hlp.
ahah, I laughed
06:32pm 21/04/07 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
5598 posts
06:47pm 21/04/07 Permalink
Staroka
Brisbane, Queensland
21 posts
it's for decoration..
10:24am 22/04/07 Permalink
Idol
Brisbane, Queensland
667 posts
DVI noob. Use the wider one if you can, better image quality :]

Yeah yeah but I bet you still use a seperate cable for each colour John...

So what exactly is a better picture quality? Higher resolution? More colours? I have my doubts ...

This feels like the time I switched to using USB keyboard and mouse... I don't know if I trust the world as much...
11:21am 22/04/07 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
20393 posts
So what exactly is a better picture quality? Higher resolution? More colours? I have my doubts ...
Nah it's seriously noticable; I used to have a 19" CRT and a 17" LCD. I was always disappointed with the LCD because I'd heard how crystal clear the picture was sposed to be. Then I heard that DVI was better quality, changed it over and BAM - the LCD was suddenly sharp as a tack.
11:25am 22/04/07 Permalink
Idol
Brisbane, Queensland
668 posts
heh well it did fix the 'fonts look retarded' feature I thought my LCD came with...
11:35am 22/04/07 Permalink
groydis
Brisbane, Queensland
1332 posts
roffle, i remember when i got 2 cables when i bought my LCD and was WTF!!

in saying that i checked out my monitor online, found out what the type of plug was called then found out if the quality would be "that" much better....

i guess its called knowing how to use the internet.
11:37am 22/04/07 Permalink
Idol
Brisbane, Queensland
669 posts
yeah, but you didn't get to hear little chestnuts like that...

You are the internet.

last edited by Idol at 12:57:19 22/Apr/07
12:55pm 22/04/07 Permalink
predat0r
Brisbane, Queensland
303 posts
CRT monitors being analog devices, (electron gun magnets and all that continuosly going back and forth) require a signal in analog form. However since your computer deals with 1s and 0s the image it would be generating is in digital. So for your standard vga output on your video card, your video card would convert the digital image into an analog signal and your crt monitor would be happy.

However lcd monitors have a matrix of transistors which coincidently means if needs definite boundaries and a digital signal and hence, if you were to use an analog cable the process would be:

-computer generates digital image
-converts digital image to an analog signal
-digital monitor on the other end makes a best guess to convert the analog signal back to digital again

Whereas with DVI:
-digital image
-digital signal
-digital monitor happy

and less interpretation. So in theory DVI should work better since it doesn't have to resample the analog signal back into digital again, and hence if your video card does dvi out (which most modern cards do) you will usually want to choose that over vga if your monitor has dvi in.
01:14pm 22/04/07 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
2458 posts
I'm running my 22" WS on DVI, and with some movies and .avi's i just get a black screen. Any fix to this apart from switching my monitor to VGA to watch it?
02:52pm 22/04/07 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Wynnum, Queensland
14564 posts
Must be missing a codec dude. Try playing them thru VLC media player and see if that works.
03:24pm 22/04/07 Permalink
whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
11219 posts
I'm running my 22" WS on DVI, and with some movies and .avi's i just get a black screen. Any fix to this apart from switching my monitor to VGA to watch it?

I sometimes get that in MPC if I use VMR 9 as the renderer. I blame microsoft.

My monitor came with 2 cables as well, but I guess being a more expensive monitor they could afford to include a manual for people to read which tells you which cable is which.
04:06pm 22/04/07 Permalink
Idol
Brisbane, Queensland
670 posts
well the quick start chart said attach vga monitor (dvi optional) which tells me f*** all
07:12pm 22/04/07 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
1137 posts
just by going by the words

vga < dvi
10:11am 23/04/07 Permalink
Idol
Brisbane, Queensland
671 posts
dude, honestly, I suspected it was for cash registers or something wacky...
06:32pm 23/04/07 Permalink
system
Internet
--
06:32pm 23/04/07 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.
Close