Bethesda tells us why ANZ will be first to Battlecry's beta!
Battlecry Beta First in ANZ!
We take a look at Firaxis' sci-fi take on the Civ universe
Civilization: Beyond Earth Reviewed
We sit down with Blizzard's Ion Hazzikostas to talk all things World of Warcraft, including upcoming expansion Warlords of Draenor.
Talking Draenor with Ion Hazzikostas
Here it is, AusGamers looks at The Evil Within, and just what you can expect from grandaddy horror creator Shinji Mikami
The Evil Within Review
World of Tanks - The Belarusian Scam
HurricaneJim
Brisbane, Queensland
1306 posts
The game is made by a company in Belarus, whose currency is the Belrusian Ruble (BYR). The company can decide that its product can be purchased in various international currencies such as the US Dollar (USD), Australian Dollar (AUD) or even the New Zealand Dollar (NZD). Market fluctuations mean that exchange rates change but currently;

1 USD = 8,658.01 BYR

1 AUD = 9,122.08 BYR

1 NZD = 7,244.16 BYR

The company could decide that the cost to All players is US$50.00. Normally it is assumed that the USD is used as it is an international standard and a standard wherever the game is played. If it is then an Australian would pay AU$47 and a New Zealander would pay NZ$59.5. This is fair and reasonable as 1 USD = 0.94 AUD or 1.19 NZD.

The company could also decide that the cost to US players is US$50, Australian players AU$50 and New Zealand players NZ$50. This would be rather stupid because they would be making AU$3 from Australians but losing NZ$9.5 from New Zealanders. This would also cause a riot amongst the Australian player base because they are paying $3 more than US players and $7.60 more than New Zealanders.

Net effect would be another "Australia" Tax such as that done on Steam to Australians where we pay 30%-70% more for exactly the same game. Further there is no hard copy distribution of WoT in Australia which is the argument that Valve uses to justify stealing money from Australians.

But lets just see how it works out;

25000 Gold = USD 99.95 (NA server), EUR 99.95, GBP 84.95 (EU Server) and AUD 100.68 (SEA server price)

If an Australian purchased 25000 gold on the;

NA Server = AUD 93.95
EU Server = AUD 124.93 (EUR price) or AUD 152.92 (GBP price)
SEA Sever = AUD 100.68

I'm quite suprised by the price dispartity and I wonder how EU players will react to the Belarusian Scam

How do we react to the scam?
01:27pm 12/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:27pm 12/01/13 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
8115 posts
Hmmm,
If anything, it makes me realise/remember just how much coin I've thrown at this game....
Just for that, screw it, despite the aircon (and the gamecon?).

I'm going to a pool party/BBQ and will be back after I drown myself.
01:49pm 12/01/13 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
4495 posts
glad I'm on the NA server
02:10pm 12/01/13 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5693 posts
How is this any different from what apple or microsoft do? It's the same s***. They're playing the game and making you play their game.
03:50pm 12/01/13 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
13999 posts
How is it a scam, and why is it even relevant that the parent company is from Belarus?

It's just regionalised pricing, the same as the rest, and at least here it seems somewhat transparent, and avoidable if you want to just play on the servers in another region.

I'm just speculating here, but it could even be somewhat justifiable as the SEA located servers possibly cost more than the US servers, so if you choose to use them, there's a higher price of admission.
06:39pm 12/01/13 Permalink
HurricaneJim
Brisbane, Queensland
1307 posts
How is it a scam, and why is it even relevant that the parent company is from Belarus?It's just regionalised pricing, the same as the rest, and at least here it seems somewhat transparent, and avoidable if you want to just play on the servers in another region.I'm just speculating here, but it could even be somewhat justifiable as the SEA located servers possibly cost more than the US servers, so if you choose to use them, there's a higher price of admission.

You only glossed over my post.

NA server population is about 20k, EU server population is about 60k, SEA server population is about 10k. But it's the EU who pays more;

If the price was standardised based on USD 99.95 per 25000 gold then;

NA server = USD 99.95
EU server = EUR 73.96 or GBP 61
SEA server = AUD 94

But the EU server is paying EUR 99.95, GBP 84.95 (EU Server)
06:53pm 12/01/13 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5695 posts
You have also glossed over his post and mine, mainly this part:
It's just regionalised pricing, the same as the rest, and at least here it seems somewhat transparent, and avoidable if you want to just play on the servers in another region.

You're just butthurt.
06:58pm 12/01/13 Permalink
Nitro
Gold Coast, Queensland
2242 posts
07:47pm 12/01/13 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1367 posts
Just playing devils advocate here, but as it's their product, can't they charge you whatever they want to for it?

Ultimately the arrangement/agreement is between you and your wallet and them and their bank accounts...

(don't get me wrong tho... 'regionalised pricing' drives me spare in the 'general sense', there is a mild differentiation in this case however as the 'gold' you are buying is only usable within the particular shard/server/realm*)

That last part is an assumption, but logically how it works yea?
08:40pm 12/01/13 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7596 posts
If you want to see a scam in a game, try Sim City Social. Quests and building upgrades require you to collect certain numbers of rare items which are dropped from interacting with buildings. And you would think that every item would drop with the same random rate at all times. But no, that's not the case.

Let's say the drop rate from Attractions for an Architectural Pizzaz is 8%. When none of your buildings require you to have one of these to upgrade, you'll receive, on average, 8 for every 100 interactions.
But what happens when suddenly your scenic pond requires 5 Pizzaz to upgrade?
Well, the drop rate is massively reduced. As soon as you require that item, the drop rate becomes more like 0.8%.

As soon as you complete that upgrade or quest, and the item is no longer required, the drop rate returns to the standard figure.

Oh wait, it gets better:
You don't have to wait for them to drop though - you can buy them with diamonds.

But wait, 'buy' you say?
Well, yes - Diamonds are what you trade for real money.

Basically they've rigged the game so that in order to progress, your progress is either artificially slow when you need those items.
10:23am 13/01/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
13267 posts
That model is one I detest. An otherwise good game is ruined by introducing mechanics that prolong the game without paying money. I refuse to play those types of games. Free-to-play you say? Fine, I won't play. I'll instead buy a game that isn't gimped.
11:24am 13/01/13 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1369 posts
Free-to-play you say? Fine, I won't play. I'll instead buy a game that isn't gimped.

I'm finding that this is essentially where 90% of F2P games are.
11:53am 13/01/13 Permalink
Infidel
Netherlands
4006 posts
Pretty simple solution, just don't pay at all. I've maybe thrown a years worth of premium at this game and wont bother anymore. Theres just not that much new content in it. You can easily play tier 6-8 tanks and still make credits and those tiers are the most fun.
12:18am 15/01/13 Permalink
Kimbo
Melbourne, Victoria
551 posts
I've seen worse...

300,000 Reputation (108 Gold)
19 Medals of Glory (380 Gold)
205 General Summer's Tokens (1025 Gold)
1513 Gold - That is United States Dollars. Everyone who has that set of armor has paid something along the lines somewhere.

http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Rank_and_Reputation/RankIX

That is just the outlay cost and expensive [as f***] to upgrade the items. Seen other games where you can 'rent weapons' (Blacklight Retribution and War Inc) for ingame currency, but it is expensive to own them permanently, but those ones aren't as bad as buying power & pimping the armor. But what can you expect from small F[r]ee-to-play operations or some of the more asianatic business models. They know how to do business.

Better examples I've seen probably yet:

Team Fortress 2 - Hats (Cosmetic), don't need to say more than that and the hat trading that has sprung up around it. I've got a friend who runs 'clients' on VMs to get hats. Suppose Valve subsidizes it by selling other titles in its' back catalog.

Tribes Ascend - When Hi-Rez entertainment made the weapons level up by just using them in-game or you could pay to unlock them, that was a good business move. Even though it took a long time, it was still worth it and they've done voice packs and models as far as I've seen so far.

Guild Wars 2 - (buy the box) and everything in the shop is mostly cosmetic and convenience and I'll stick to my guns on that department. But we'll see as time goes on.

Super Monday Night Combat / League of Legends - selling cosmetic items and heroes

Interesting buy to play award goes to:
Killing Floor (Tripwire Interactive) - For making 5 dollar DLC Skin packs for 4 years and only branching out into weapon DLCs very recently. Interesting download model in that department. Oh and continually having a special event every Halloween and Xmas.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/1250/

Potential up and coming interest games:
Firefall, Hawken, Warframe, Warface, Planetside 2 and possibly The Secret World with its "Issue download" addon.

Do I believe the subscription model for gaming is dead? Possibly but then again, probably not. Servers need to be paid for. Content needs to be created, Houses and food needs to be paid for and that's how life goes and with the recent closing of things like Cities of Heroes and Star Wars Galaxies
12:50am 16/01/13 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9830 posts
if you love it you'll pay for it..

then there are the rest of us.
08:06pm 16/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:06pm 16/01/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.