AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
ArmA II Mod : Wasteland (Survival faction-based shooter)
WirlWind
Central Coast, New South Wales
380 posts
(Warning: the biggest downside to this mission is it's not persistent like DayZ. Keep in mind that if you log out, you lose everything. Though it's very quick to get back in the game, so it's not much of an issue imo.)

Hey guys, I figured I'd put this up for anyone who plays DayZ with a challenge to give this mod a go.

All it takes to run (on most servers) is a copy of Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead (you should be right to go if you play DayZ).

Start the game up without any mods (except beta), then filter by "Wasteland" and there are about 8-10 servers, which are often full at the moment.

So the gameplay is kind of like DayZ in the sense that you have to find food and eat, but the point of it is faction warfare. You can choose one of 4 factions (Bluefor, Opfor, Independent, Civvy) and then you spawn in Chernarus.

From there, you need to find a vehicle (there are lots, it's not hard) and start searching them for a weapon. Every now and then, a mission will occur, such as finding a downed helicopter and stealing the weapons cache, or attacking an AI base.

The reward for completing the task? PvP action (where you can get money to buy weapons from the store) and parts for base building!

You can load sandbags, deerstands, bunkers etc into vehicles and place them anywhere you want to make a base.

I've only just started playing it myself, so I don't know a whole lot else about it, but I do know that I've had an arseload of fun.

Here's a vid to PsiSyndicate's first video on it, he goes through and shows some basics / talks about features / etc.

10:43am 12/11/12 Permalink
adBot
ads
Internet
--
ads keep websites free
10:43am 12/11/12 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1217 posts
Hmm I can't seem to find it inside the game with the server browser.
11:10am 12/11/12 Permalink
WirlWind
382 posts
Hmm I can't seem to find it inside the game with the server browser.

Did you filter the server name with "wasteland"?

Leave the game type blank and you should get a few servers popping up.

If that doesn't work, might want to check your filters aren't excluding a bunch of stuff / setup for DayZ or something.
11:13am 12/11/12 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1218 posts
Yeah in the Steam version of the game I've got no filters set, no games seem to show up. I normally use Play withSIX to launch DayZ these days, the launcher doesn't have wasteland on it yet.

Edit: Does it require the beta patch?
11:15am 12/11/12 Permalink
WirlWind
383 posts
Yeah in the Steam version of the game I've got no filters set, no games seem to show up. I normally use Play withSIX to launch DayZ these days, the launcher doesn't have wasteland on it yet.Edit: Does it require the beta patch?

You could try that, but I would have thought it'd show up regardless.

I have mine running beta as a default, so that might be what's causing it.

::EDIT:: I am running mine through the ArmA II launcher 3.1.1.

Only thing I have turned on is the beta and then I just click "Launch OA" and it throws me in.
11:23am 12/11/12 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1219 posts
Hmm ok I reset the filters and it seems that there's a lot of wasteland servers but not australian ones?
11:35am 12/11/12 Permalink
WirlWind
384 posts
Hmm ok I reset the filters and it seems that there's a lot of wasteland servers but not australian ones?

Nope, sadly, but the game plays fine even on the Russian servers, imo.

Was playing on a US West server last night (230ms latency or so) and didn't even notice it.

I'm hoping the mod picks up and takes off like DayZ did, so we end up with a few Aussie clan servers, but it's still fun without them.
11:40am 12/11/12 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
2967 posts
Interesting, will have a go, and yea ping is not overly important in Arma as it's not a twitch shooter.
12:36pm 12/11/12 Permalink
59fifty
Brisbane, Queensland
975 posts
wow looks good.
will be giving this one a crack tonight!!
07:47pm 12/11/12 Permalink
WirlWind
385 posts
Interesting, will have a go, and yea ping is not overly important in Arma as it's not a twitch shooter.

Aye, managed to do perfectly fine earlier on with 300ms ping, I think alot of stuff is client side so the latency is far less noticeable.

Today I was teamkilled while towing a black SUV back to my base (with an RPG no less), then helped build a large faction base that had 20 enemies coming for it in armour and we were setting up a defence in a construction site.

Far more focused on team work than DayZ, far more fun for me atm just because it's something new and not as slow.
10:01pm 12/11/12 Permalink
WirlWind
389 posts
Quick update, there's an Aussie server up that's full most nights. They've mentioned they're trying to integrate the mission to a dayZ style hive, so that might be interesting :D
02:08am 16/11/12 Permalink
Coldy
Brisbane, Queensland
208 posts
My clan has an Aussie server for Wasteland set up. It's full name is "WASTELAND AUSTRALIA AU #1 | -CV- CLAN VALHALLA | Ping Limit ".

All the ARMA-II guys have been in there constantly, it is full most of the time though, so it may take a while to get in.
09:49am 16/11/12 Permalink
adBot
ads
Internet
--
ads keep websites free
09:49am 16/11/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.

Advertise with Us | Download Media Kit | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
© Copyright 2001-2014 AusGamers™ Pty Ltd. ACN 093 772 242.
A Mammoth Media web development / Australian VPS Hosting by Mammoth Networks