AusGamers took Far Cry 4 for a hands-on spin last week. Read on for our full thoughts...
Far Cry 4 Hands-On Preview
AusGamers had the chance to sit down and chat with lead programmer and local Australian Ian Hern on all things Kraden’s Crypt.
Interview with Ian Hern on Kraden's Crypt
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
Joaby Gilroy takes The Sims 4 for a spin on PC and finds out just what the life simulator has to offer.
The Sims 4 Reviewed
Dilemma - Black Ops on PC or Xbox360?
Xierg
Sydney, New South Wales
8 posts
Hi all,

This isn’t one of those silly “my gizmo is better than your widget” troll threads. It’s a legitimate quandary that I’m hoping the collective wisdom can answer.

Black Ops 2 will be a game that I put significant time into. I currently have a high end PC but am considering buying an Xbox360 + XIM (mouse+KB converter) due to the rampart cheating in PC. Plus, it seems that PC is an afterthought for the Call of Duty Devs.

Other titles such as Halo 4 are of interest.

My question is, is this totally insane – especially given the new Xbox is thought to be out in ~ a year?

I have a PS3 already to counter any suggestions along those lines 
02:44pm 05/11/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:44pm 05/11/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21706 posts
I reckon you are wasting your money buying an xbox if you already have a decent PC and a PS3. If you have the spare cash to drop and you wish to play xbox exclusive titles however, go for it.

Consoles served their purpose to me but I sold my xbox a few months ago and upgraded my PC so it will run everything smoothly on high detail. The hardware on consoles is just too old to make games look decent and run at a smooth framerate. Just how bad is the cheating on PC CoD?
02:47pm 05/11/12 Permalink
Xierg
Sydney, New South Wales
9 posts
I reckon you are wasting your money buying an xbox if you already have a decent PC and a PS3. If you have the spare cash to drop and you wish to play xbox exclusive titles however, go for it.Consoles served their purpose to me but I sold my xbox a few months ago and upgraded my PC so it will run everything smoothly on high detail. The hardware on consoles is just too old to make games look decent and run at a smooth framerate. Just how bad is the cheating on PC CoD?

Thanks for the reply mate, yeah i mostly agree with you. I just *hate* games being ruined by cheating.

MW2 was ok for cheating, every CoD since then has been ruined by it. Black Ops 1 I thought was a great game but ruined by being a poor console port & cheating. MW3 is just plain terrible, i think uninstalled after maybe 2 hours. I hear that it's totally infested with cheaters/hackers.
02:50pm 05/11/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21707 posts
Well I hate cheaters in online games too, and if I was going to spend hundreds of hours playing a multiplayer game I'd probably be willing to spend a few hundred just to make sure of a cheat free experience. Plus of course the exclusive titles like Halo 4. I guess it is only insane to purchase an xbox if you really can't afford to. If the purchase is not too stressful on ye olde bank balance I reckon just go for it.
02:54pm 05/11/12 Permalink
Xierg
Sydney, New South Wales
10 posts
Thanks mate, yeah can fortunately afford it so might just go for it - thanks for the assist :)
03:02pm 05/11/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3086 posts
Dude, pretty sure COD went to s*** @ MW2. You want console port COD- that was the first one IIRC- no console, no server browser, no changing FOV etc.

Cant recall issues with Blops. I thought they tried to bring back most of what was missing in MW2. Steam says 30hrs of MP played, cant recall cheating during that time.

And id much rather play on PC, with PC gamers than kiddie console gamers spamming mic n all the stupid s*** they do. No doubt PC is an afterthought but ill wait to see what the reviews say about the game on PC cause IMO it will still be better than console.
03:14pm 05/11/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5188 posts
your Dilemma is that you want to buy COD... that is all!
04:18pm 05/11/12 Permalink
glynd
Melbourne, Victoria
829 posts
which ever one your friends are getting tbh. Not a massive fan of the game but there's a group of about 7 to 10 of my non-gaming mates that get it each time which makes it worth it. It's always a laugh when we nearly fill the map.
04:26pm 05/11/12 Permalink
Xierg
Sydney, New South Wales
11 posts
Yeah i should have said, all of my mates have PC with a mix of consoles.

We're just fed up with the cheating!
04:30pm 05/11/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5189 posts
We're just fed up with the cheating!

Play a real game?
04:59pm 05/11/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3535 posts
so why not buy a PS3 version of the game?
05:58pm 05/11/12 Permalink
The GuVna
Brisbane, Queensland
1886 posts
PC
06:01pm 05/11/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20128 posts
Get Halo 4
06:10pm 05/11/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17466 posts
Wii U
06:18pm 05/11/12 Permalink
Zoidberg
Brisbane, Queensland
93 posts
When you say cheaters, you mean people that are better than you yeah?
06:51pm 05/11/12 Permalink
WirlWind
Central Coast, New South Wales
372 posts
Isn't using a mouse + keyboard converter technically cheating since you're giving yourself a massive advantage over just about everyone else playing the game?

I'd get it on the PC, personally. If I got it on xbox (besides the fact that THEY BLOODY CHARGE YOU MONEY TO PLAY ONLINE) I'd probably get bored of not having a challenge from anyone else in my games unless (on the rare case) they ALSO had a mouse adaptor thingy.

Also, I didn't notice any cheating in my (too many hours) of Black Ops for PC. MW2 is where the cheating was.

MW3 was just a terrible game, I regret the $20 I spent on the russian key I got for it.
07:23pm 05/11/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34491 posts
pave is the voice of reason
07:33pm 05/11/12 Permalink
do0b
Brisbane, Queensland
4462 posts
wii u graphics are so terribad tho?
07:48pm 05/11/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34493 posts
oh, im sorry doob, i didnt realise extra polygons means extra fun.

some of us still believe fun games are fun, not shiny ones.
07:49pm 05/11/12 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
969 posts
I played BLOPS a good amount of time and did not notice a lot of cheating. Have not played it in a long while though.

If you have money, get both, That way you are covered either way. Buy the PC version from a key site so its cheaper. You can also import the console version too but it will take a 1.5-2 weeks to get to you from Ozgameshop or similar.

I have been sort of wanting to play halo reach for a while but just can't bring myself to buy it. My console has RROD 2 weeks ago after I moved it around and then turned it on to get the disc out. So I don't have to worry about that now.
08:07pm 05/11/12 Permalink
Drollzy
Melbourne, Victoria
63 posts
I played BLOPS a good amount of time and did not notice a lot of cheating. Have not played it in a long while though.If you have money, get both, That way you are covered either way. Buy the PC version from a key site so its cheaper. You can also import the console version too but it will take a 1.5-2 weeks to get to you from Ozgameshop or similar.I have been sort of wanting to play halo reach for a while but just can't bring myself to buy it. My console has RROD 2 weeks ago after I moved it around and then turned it on to get the disc out. So I don't have to worry about that now.

My son fixed his RROD by wrapping his xbox in a towel and leaving it on for about 5 Minutes.
Its still running now and its been a good year since the RROD...
(Something about heating a solder that is causing the problem. Not sure what it does exactly but know that it gets the box working again)
01:31pm 14/11/12 Permalink
Drollzy
Melbourne, Victoria
64 posts
Wii...Nintendo??? Are they still around? Have they finally ugraded there 320x320 graphics???
01:33pm 14/11/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17491 posts
some of us still believe funold games are fun, not shiny ones.

got your back bro

ps. i was taking the piss with the wii comment

01:33pm 14/11/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6207 posts
My son fixed his RROD by wrapping his xbox in a towel and leaving it on for about 5 Minutes.Its still running now and its been a good year since the RROD...(Something about heating a solder that is causing the problem. Not sure what it does exactly but know that it gets the box working again)

That worked for me for more than 6 months. I'd have to do it every other week, but it kept going.

Then one day it didn't work anymore. 3 months later i weighed up the cost of getting a second 470 off ebay (to run sli 470's) versus repairing the xbox.

The PC won, it now runs the TV.
02:42pm 14/11/12 Permalink
Drollzy
Melbourne, Victoria
67 posts
That worked for me for more than 6 months. I'd have to do it every other week, but it kept going.Then one day it didn't work anymore. 3 months later i weighed up the cost of getting a second 470 off ebay (to run sli 470's) versus repairing the xbox.The PC won, it now runs the TV.

PC Hands down :)
03:07pm 14/11/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10469 posts
If you purchase a console you are contributing to the problem.
03:11pm 14/11/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:11pm 14/11/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.
Close