AusGamers took Far Cry 4 for a hands-on spin last week. Read on for our full thoughts...
Far Cry 4 Hands-On Preview
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
Joaby Gilroy takes The Sims 4 for a spin on PC and finds out just what the life simulator has to offer.
The Sims 4 Reviewed
We took the five winged, five week challenge with Hearthstone's first campaign and walked away less deathrattled than you might think.
Hearthstone: Naxxramas' Cursed Review
Multiplayer FPS recommendations on PC
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3083 posts
Hi Guys,

Noob question i know but i need a MP FPS game on PC to play. Its been a very long time since my beloved COD4 / COD5 / MOH / BFBC2 MP pwnage and im missing it. Finally rage quit DOTA2 something hardcore and need a FPS to fill the void now that uni is nearly over for the semester.

So, what suggestions do you guys have? Im after a game i can play during the day as thats my main gaming time which makes finding servers more difficult.

Natural Selection 2? Never played #1 but have heard good things. Interested.
Chilvary / War of the Rose? Am interested in them as the combat and classes look good.
Team Fortress 2? Have it, never really got into it. Always seemed to pick that western map with the two bases and the bridge in the middle. Maybe i need to try more game modes / maps.
CS:GO? Played beta and enjoyed it but have always preferred a more arcade shooter without the wait inbetween rounds to respawn. On sale for $10 makes it tempting though.
MOH Warfighter? Looked good but heard some bad reports about problems needing bugs. Am still interested.

BF3? Already have. No good (a number of reasons, dont see the point of mentioning them).
Tribes Ascend? Nobody on servers during the day i checked in Sep 2012, havent tried night recently.
Crysis3 Alpha? Dont have DX11 :(
Planetside 2 Beta? DLing now.
BLOPS2? High doubtful given the latest COD MP although i am getting desperate.
Far Cry 3? Looks good, hope PC can run it.
Killing floor? Have it. Good fun but after something different to surviving waves.
L4D 1/2? Have both. 1 was great, 2 not so much.
Borderlands 2? Didnt like the shooter gameplay as much plus no mates to play coop with.
02:11am 05/11/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:11am 05/11/12 Permalink
WirlWind
Central Coast, New South Wales
370 posts
Planetside 2. Full stop. Aussie server just came out tonight, game is f*****g *uggghhhnnnnhh* brb, cleaning up.

NS 2 is a good game with lots of mature players and tense matches, but a learning cliff.

Chivalry is a fun bash about game, WoTR not as good imo.

TF2 is free, so why the f*** not? Play a bunch of maps and classes. Try payload instead of deathmatch, or conquest etc.

CS:GO, dunno, havn't played it. Can't be arsed.

MOH Warfighter... Just no.

BLOPS2 - I actually pre-ordered it from the UK. It's a Treyarch CoD and I've found they're generally to my liking. They're also doing some new-ish stuff and looking after PC gamers. Will not be like MW3 at all.

Have a look at :

- Blacklight Retribution (free 2 play)
- Ace of Spades (minecraft x shooter game. Poor graphics but amazing gameplay. You can build forts etc)
- DayZ / War Z (zombie survival fps's)
- World of Tanks? Not exactly an FPS, but still fun and free to play.
02:44am 05/11/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3084 posts
Thanks bro.

Looking forward to trying planetside.

I'll probably grab both MOH Warfighter (enjoyed previous MoH MP) and BLOPS2 from EB and return em for refund if they are s***. IMO the COD perks and killstreaks have just gone too far but i did love COD5 so i hope treyarch manages to avoid the issues ive had with COD6-8.

Im DLing Team Fortress 2 again now. Really should try it again.

The Medieval games look good but its tough to pick which to try. Will need to look into this more.

Will try Blacklight, DLing now.

Ace of Spades is coming to steam. Looks interesting.

DayZ i have. Playing solo was slow and got boring after a while. Will consider War Z. WoT i tried briefly but didnt stick with.
03:20am 05/11/12 Permalink
Infidel
Netherlands
3984 posts
How did you get the Planetside 2 key? I subscribed for one a while ago never got a thing.
05:49am 05/11/12 Permalink
Rdizz
Germany
2184 posts
dude get a good graphics card and try bf3 again. it really need dx11 for justice.

also i wouldnt mind getting into ns2 either, its it out yet and all good or still some beta thing?
08:04am 05/11/12 Permalink
BOOST
Brisbane, Queensland
516 posts
How did you get the Planetside 2 key? I subscribed for one a while ago never got a thing.

Yeah same here. Pretty keen on giving it a go since everyone is going on about it
08:44am 05/11/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
7922 posts
Talking about Chivalry and War of the Roses, I'd recommend Chivalry over WoTR simply because of the melee combat. In Chivalry, you attack with three ways, but can use a combination of combos, parrying, feigning or blocking and then riposting. In War of the Roses, you have directional combat where holding left and then swinging your mouse in the direction will control your blade. Both of these are great styles, but Chivalry comes out as more solid with a slight clunkyness to it that helps with immersion, where as WoTR has a more spammy feel to it because you end up just throwing your mouse everywhere trying to get those hits.

Also, in Chivalry you can take at maximum maybe four hits if you are lucky, however contact with the head is instant slice of the throat (quite literally, and you can then lop their head off while they are gurgling). Also the bonus with Chivalry is the amazing sound effects, and overall battle atmosphere that really makes it a medieval game.

With Warfighter, its a really fun game with some great MP modes to keep you going. I play with a mate on Teamspeak and we usually dominate the leaderboards because we work together with our team and ourselves which really shows its a team orientated title. We actually played a new mode we hadn't before last night, basically two flags on the map and you have one life each round. Home team has to defend the flags while away has to capture them and take back to base, so think of it like Search and Destroy in Call of Duty 4. Really fun, and could see it being a very clan based mode.
09:12am 05/11/12 Permalink
WirlWind
371 posts
Yeah same here. Pretty keen on giving it a go since everyone is going on about it

They have an alpha squad up if you're desperate for a key. It's a little pricey, but worth it imo. Supports the game and gets you some nice goodies. Especially since the Aussie server opened last night. I need some competition, was ranked 4th on the server last night *flex*

Also Dav, I'm throwing in another point for Chivalry. If you can only get one, get this one. It's hard to adjust to if you're coming from mount & blade, but once you do, it's fun as hell watching your enemies head roll down a hill into the water and thinking "I just did that!"

Warfighter, I gotta say, the only thing that looks fun about it is the MP, but again, it's very well trodden ground for the most part and (for me) def not worth the money when I can get a similar itch scratched with Blops2.

Ace of Spades is almost like battlefield minecraft edition, though it doesn't have vehicles. The massive battles with people tunneling under your base are amazing though. I believe it's currently free to download outside of steam, so you can grab it now if you're keen on it. Has a few good Aussie servers.

Also, War Z is a similar pace to Day Z (and it's very rough-edged). If you can get a friend code from someone, have a crack for a while and get used to it, though I'm guessing if you didn't like DayZ, you probs won't enjoy this much either.

I actually prefer it to Day Z because the atmosphere is more intense and it's prettier, but it's still alpha so it can be unappealing to some. But the tension when the "scary music" (that apparently signals a nearby player) starts up suddenly while you're creeping through a town filled with zombies is incredible. I don't think I had that feeling in DayZ for more than the first day. I've had it for a couple of weeks in War Z.
10:13am 05/11/12 Permalink
HurricaneJim
Brisbane, Queensland
1249 posts
You can always try something different;

World of Tanks (South East Asia Server) in Singapore. Free to play http://worldoftanks-sea.com/

You don't need DX11.
10:22am 05/11/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
7923 posts
I've got three friend codes if people are in need for The War Z. Just send a message and I'll get back.
11:03am 05/11/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3092 posts
Just wanted to say thanks for the feedback and ideas guys.

Tried Ace of Spades. Good gameplay even on a US server. Just needs slightly better graphics IMO to make it easier on the eyes. Once its on steam should be even more popular.

Blacklight was OK. Not a fan of the temporary unlocks though.

I loved Mount & Blade so was leaning towards WotR but Chivalry seems to be winning the majority of votes here and elsewhere. Only $20 for a key as well.

I really like the MOH:W teamwork Eorl described although i dont have a buddy to game with.

Gotta try planetside next.
12:37am 06/11/12 Permalink
WirlWind
374 posts
Just wanted to say thanks for the feedback and ideas guys.Tried Ace of Spades. Good gameplay even on a US server. Just needs slightly better graphics IMO to make it easier on the eyes. Once its on steam should be even more popular.Blacklight was OK. Not a fan of the temporary unlocks though. I loved Mount & Blade so was leaning towards WotR but Chivalry seems to be winning the majority of votes here and elsewhere. Only $20 for a key as well.I really like the MOH:W teamwork Eorl described although i dont have a buddy to game with. Gotta try planetside next.

Aye, only reason I recommended blacklight is it's solid and free.

It's not exactly the next best thing, but it's good if you're just looking for a romp.

I think you'll probs lose a lot of your life to planetside 2 though, that s***'s addictive... "Just one more battle!"

And WotR is similar to M&B but after playing a lot of M&B before going to WotR, I would suggest you just stick to M&B for your 4 axis medieval combat fun.

WotR is a clunky spam-fest. To win, you just get out your dagger and mash left click. You can end up attacking faster than they can parry and you just overwhelm them. It needs a stamina system before I'd recommend it to anyone.

Chivalry is different, but also fun and fair. Footwork is also highly important as weapon reach is a big factor.
02:49am 07/11/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:49am 07/11/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.
Close