AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
DLC Help
fooie
Melbourne, Victoria
1 posts
Hi guys, am just wondering if DLC downloaded for a game will work on different game disks. For example, if i downloaded a content pack for Sleeping Dogs, returned the game to EB Games and then bought it again at a cheaper price later on, will the DLC still work?

Thanks
11:18am 26/08/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:18am 26/08/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
6010 posts
Probably not. It would be linked to the account/key that you had for the first copy of the game.
Also, don't buy anything from EB, Ever. You're doing it wrong.
11:34am 26/08/12 Permalink
Zen Apathy
Brisbane, Queensland
3612 posts
DLC is linked to you gamer profile or console (not sure about PS3 but with xbox you get a license for both). So yes you can take back the game and buy it when it is cheaper. After all you can buy DLC for games you don't even own if for some reason you wanted to.
11:40am 26/08/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19807 posts
Yeah, it should work, as long as its the same version of the game. Like if you originally had a Australian/PAL copy of the game, then later on bought a US copy of the game, the same DLC and savegames and stuff wouldn't work, cos as far as the xbox is concerned, its two different games (internally they have different title ids).
11:45am 26/08/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19079 posts
eb is bery bery bad (and expensive)
11:53am 26/08/12 Permalink
fooie
Melbourne, Victoria
2 posts
Just to clear it up guys... i buy games on their release dates from EB, play it for the 7 days and then take it back in and get a full refund under their "7 day money back guarantee". If i liked it, then i buy it online for half the price, if not less. If i didn't like it, then i can spend the money on something i do like. I think i am doing it very right LOL
02:46pm 26/08/12 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1230 posts
Just to clear it up guys... i buy games on their release dates from EB, play it for the 7 days and then take it back in and get a full refund under their "7 day money back guarantee". If i liked it, then i buy it online for half the price, if not less. If i didn't like it, then i can spend the money on something i do like. I think i am doing it very right LOL

Well, what you're doing then is making other customers of that store upset when they have to return their products which don't have working keys.

Depending on the game, it's like returning 'pre-paid mobile credit' after you've consumed it.

EB is relying on people NOT doing it this way.

SURE you can make the most out of it, but as far as steam content goes, a mate of mine used to do it, right up until Steam banned him from his steam account whilst 'an investigation' was done (presumably the customer took pics of the game box etc and their receipt and sent it to steam as proof).
My mate 'came clean' (that is to say he owned up saying that he no longer 'owned' the game etc etc) Steam revoked the game from his account and warned him not to do it again.

The bit that frustrates me about the above is when someone shells out for a retail product, goes home, tries to claim what THEY NOW OWN and it doesn't work. Sadly, a lot of these people are too polite (or perhaps time poor) and don't take it back to the store to rectify it.
The alternative to this is the part where you're (coz it is you ultimately being dishonest) wasting a legitimate customers time (as well as the stores time etc etc) sorting it out so that someone who has PAID for that content rightfully gets it.

If you KNOW you aren't going to keep the game, don't 'consume' the DLC.

Be an honest consumer, don't f*** over your fellow gamer.
03:18pm 26/08/12 Permalink
fooie
Melbourne, Victoria
3 posts
Well, what you're doing then is making other customers of that store upset when they have to return their products which don't have working keys.Depending on the game, it's like returning 'pre-paid mobile credit' after you've consumed it.EB is relying on people NOT doing it this way.SURE you can make the most out of it, but as far as steam content goes, a mate of mine used to do it, right up until Steam banned him from his steam account whilst 'an investigation' was done (presumably the customer took pics of the game box etc and their receipt and sent it to steam as proof).My mate 'came clean' (that is to say he owned up saying that he no longer 'owned' the game etc etc) Steam revoked the game from his account and warned him not to do it again.The bit that frustrates me about the above is when someone shells out for a retail product, goes home, tries to claim what THEY NOW OWN and it doesn't work. Sadly, a lot of these people are too polite (or perhaps time poor) and don't take it back to the store to rectify it.The alternative to this is the part where you're (coz it is you ultimately being dishonest) wasting a legitimate customers time (as well as the stores time etc etc) sorting it out so that someone who has PAID for that content rightfully gets it.If you KNOW you aren't going to keep the game, don't 'consume' the DLC.Be an honest consumer, don't f*** over your fellow gamer.

Actually mate, I purchased a content pack off Xbox Marketplace for 240MP and have left the redeemable code untouched. I'm not f*****g anyone over.
03:27pm 26/08/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12975 posts
Ivy_Mike, you could easily use your own arguments there and instead point the finger squarely at EB for allowing such an abuse of the system. I always thought that EB's 7 day return policy did not extend to games that require registration and lock in customers to that boxed copy. IF they do allow it that is just stupid and totally EB's fault for re-shelving copies previously sold to other people.

Another good reason to avoid EB if the OP methods are true.
05:44pm 26/08/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3319 posts
i don't see how it's a problem if you're buying the DLC. if you're using the freebies that often come in the games then yes that's not cool but surely EB would check this on the return?
07:02pm 26/08/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6038 posts
What are they going to do crazy? Install every return that comes back, associate it with ??? and then be like "no he didn't use it but turns out i now have?"... yeah..
10:49am 27/08/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10112 posts
sounds like an eb problem, how could a customer possibly predict how this convoluted system works
11:25am 27/08/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3323 posts
What are they going to do crazy? Install every return that comes back, associate it with ??? and then be like "no he didn't use it but turns out i now have?"... yeah..

yeah true. plus i realised that they are sealed so the staff probably wouldn't know what was in it to start with unless it was an advertised package deal. I've got heaps of little cards floating around with things like "48hr Gold Membership" plus various DLC options.

Wonder how they get around that?
04:15pm 27/08/12 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1231 posts
how could a customer possibly predict how this convoluted system works

and yet here we are :P
It more boils down to 'benefit of the doubt'.

I've seen customers refused the '7 day returns policy' for repeated abuse (their last item refunded and asked not to return to that store). This was obviously for an 'extroadinary case' and not a 'legitimate, honest customer'. (both of which are at the sellers discretion.)

And yea Crazy, no-one really cares about the 48 hour gold membership, it's usually the 0-day 'exclusive' DLC's or/and additional content jobs.

I bought Twisted Metal on PS3 recently and had to return the 'online pass' (don't get me f***** started on online passes... s***test excuse for DLC ever (sure, sure, it ensures the actual publisher/distributor get paid for their multiplayer game after first sale etc)) as it had been claimed (whether it was a legitimate customer of someone 'f*****g me over' it was a waste of my time)
That being said tho, I can appreciate 'claiming' the online pass, giving multi a go and then taking it back to the store, "the multiplayer was rubbish, I want my money back pls".
05:03pm 27/08/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
05:03pm 27/08/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.

Advertise with Us | Download Media Kit | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
© Copyright 2001-2014 AusGamers™ Pty Ltd. ACN 093 772 242.
A Mammoth Media web development / Australian VPS Hosting by Mammoth Networks