We take a look at inXile's cRPG successor Wasteland 2
Wasteland 2 Reviewed
AusGamers takes a deep and hard look at just what Bungie has to offer in their newest sci-fi world, and just where our Destiny may lay.
Destiny Reviewed
AusGamers had the chance to sit down and chat with lead programmer and local Australian Ian Hern on all things Kraden’s Crypt.
Interview with Ian Hern on Kraden's Crypt
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
Diablo III All-In-One Thread
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19352 posts
Maybe the difference is you never actually possess it, even in a digital format. Like if you buy a song off Itunes at least you then own that and have the data that represents your purchase sitting on your hard drive or ipod or whatever, but with something like the RMAH you're paying real money for Blizzard to shift around a few bytes of data on their servers.

I dunno though, its a slippery slope. I think the law against it is pretty stupid though, and I've got nothing against the RMAH. If you don't like it, don't use it, its not like Diablo is a professionally competitive game anyway. If you don't like people who have "paid to win" then just don't play with them.
10:52am 18/06/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12607 posts
I don't like government intervention in marketplace s***, if its a s*** idea it will die.

Does this mean they can no longer buy warcraft ponies or hats on steam?
11:15am 18/06/12 Permalink
Strik3r
Brisbane, Queensland
2078 posts
Got my monk comfortably farming up Inferno act 1. Act 2 is just lollerskates.

I don't think I have the commitment just yet to bother with act 2 so I'm gonna keep running act 1 inferno for loot and cash and play some alts. The witch doctor tickles my fancy.

Pretty much in the same boat. I can breeze through act 1 solo/grouped with the rare exception (usually invincible minions + fast + something else).

The quality of loot seems very low though. I think I've sold a couple of things for 100k, but so far no real money makers / upgrades for myself. Have cleared the first couple of missions of act 2, but its too hard to get 5 nv stacks for farming and killing act 2 elite packs tends to involve many deaths.

Gonna start a monk while I wait for 1.03 which should at least improve the loot available in act 1.
11:27am 18/06/12 Permalink
Thundercracker
Brisbane, Queensland
3217 posts
Yeah armor drops arent too bad, but the weapons are f*****g useless :(

I did manage to snag a legendary and sell it for 2.8 mil. IM RICH!
11:38am 18/06/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12610 posts
The quality of loot seems very low though. I think I've sold a couple of things for 100k, but so far no real money makers / upgrades for myself.
Yeh wait for 1.03 for farming imo.

The problem is that you are competing with iLvl 62 and 63 which don't drop in Act 1, so unless you get a lucky set drop you won't find amazing gear. In particular weapons are almost universally worthless.

In 1.03 iLvl 63 (the highest possible gear level) will drop in Act 1, albeit 4x as slowly as Act 4. But it will drop, as will 63 and 62 gear. This makes progression less of a gold farm to buy Act2-3-4 gear (or take the die-a-lot option) and a more feasible farm of act 1 to make act 2 doable.

Early Act2 should also be less brutal as they are evening out the mob difficulty curve rather than loading act2 and getting a punch in the nuts straight up.

I'm really, really keen to kill Belial before 1.03 though, anyone wanna give it a go in a group?
11:43am 18/06/12 Permalink
Morax
Brisbane, Queensland
2281 posts
hogfather i'm keen, what's your gamer tag?
01:31pm 18/06/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12616 posts
hogfather i'm keen, what's your gamer tag?

Khel made a thread somewhere, Hogfather#1995
01:41pm 18/06/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19355 posts
Its linked in the original post of this thread, I just don't think anyone ever looks at page 1 of this thread anymore :P
02:07pm 18/06/12 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
2108 posts
I've done Belial but I'd be happy to help you through it.
I think it took me 80+ attempts before I just joined a 4 play pub and got it 2nd go.
02:56pm 18/06/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8039 posts
I finished hell mode last week so onto Act 1 inferno now. Just need to find time to play!
02:58pm 18/06/12 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
2109 posts
Also pigme hunting in act 2 is far easier than farming act1. There are almost always 2 in set locations. Thats what I have been doing lately. Far less expensive than trying to kill elites in act 2.
02:59pm 18/06/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12619 posts
Under no circumstances should you leave your d3 account unattended for any amount of time...

http://i.imgur.com/GReM1.png

Followed by:
http://i.imgur.com/yGKDz.png

I wish I had played my alts more now. RL HC sucks, over 100 hours on the character :(
10:26pm 18/06/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4968 posts
Hahaha

That 4 year old kid has died.
His deeds of valor will be remembered.
10:30pm 18/06/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8043 posts
4 year old kid or wife?
10:44pm 18/06/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12620 posts
Unauthorised account access!

http://i.imgur.com/cwFaj.png
10:47pm 18/06/12 Permalink
casa
Brisbane, Queensland
4667 posts

Got given this bad puppy by some f**ot mate of mine (sorry my d3(d)) hates screenshots for some reason

http://casa.nowuckingforries.com/DHjweapon.png

1080 deeps
232 dex
75 vit
socket (currently 70% crit dmg increase cos im too jew to upgrade)

basically upgraded my unstacked damage by 20K :)

last edited by casa at 22:52:17 18/Jun/12
10:50pm 18/06/12 Permalink
shad
Brisbane, Queensland
3752 posts
Kid probably deleted character because he forgot what his father looked like.
10:55pm 18/06/12 Permalink
shrapse
Brisbane, Queensland
3778 posts
found this the other night

http://trog.qgl.org/up/1206/innas.png
11:16pm 18/06/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12621 posts
Kid probably deleted character because he forgot what his father looked like.

Oh God you've forgotten the face of your father.
11:51pm 18/06/12 Permalink
Jim
UK
12935 posts
holy s*** hogfather :(
12:14am 19/06/12 Permalink
deeper
Brisbane, Queensland
4069 posts
Got given this bad puppy by some f**ot mate of mine (sorry my d3(d)) hates screenshots for some reason

f*****s.
01:36am 19/06/12 Permalink
JakeG
Thailand
1092 posts
If someone lost their HC character they had built up for 1+ years.. I hate to think what some peoples reactions would be..
03:03am 19/06/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7069 posts
found this the other night

Queue 'Glory in your pants' jokes.
07:25am 19/06/12 Permalink
defi
Wynnum, Queensland
2896 posts
Anyone clearing Act 3 with a Barb?

Act 2 is basically on farm for me now:

34% Block
9400 armor - 10 600 Buffed
420 - All Resist (600 + Buffed) with 742 Physical resist.
18% Melee Damage reduction
10500 Damage
1000 Life on hit
400 Life per second

I really need to work on my IAS, to get my weapon speed up to get my life on hit up, but other than that im kind of stuck. Each upgrade is going to cost me 2mill or more with minor upgrades.

Im running my defensive skills still:

Leap (Armor Rune)
Revenge (Provacation Proc Rune)
Iron Skin (Life on hit rune)
War Cry (Resist Rune)
Frenzy (With Axes rune, for more hits = more life)
Ground Stomp (With pull closer rune)

Act 3 I am only lasting 20 seconds against most champs. Anyone got any suggestions or specs or gear choices I should be chasing?
10:41am 19/06/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5921 posts
IAS is going to take a massive hit (I think I read 66% ?) in the 1.03 patch...You might want to wait till after that fallout to see if it's really worth it.
11:37am 19/06/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12624 posts
Heh. Comprehension.

http://i.imgur.com/STYPZ.png

Edit: ANMNNNNNDDDdddd that's all she wrote it seems :((((((

http://i.imgur.com/ffL1a.png

http://i.imgur.com/K1szm.png

I'm not sure I have the will to relevel and regear another level 60 Inferno character, my closest alt is only level 20. After recently spending a couple mill on my main I only have 500k left.
11:55am 19/06/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
2722 posts
This post has been removed.
Reason: Disruptive
12:24pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
590 posts
Reason: Off-Topic
12:32pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7077 posts
Ah, we're such a tight-knit bunch here.
12:34pm 19/06/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
2723 posts
Reason: Disruptive
12:43pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
591 posts
12:46pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Strik3r
Brisbane, Queensland
642 posts
12:50pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
2110 posts
Happy to help you level once you get closer to inferno hoggy. Let us know if u need a hand.
01:39pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12627 posts
Happy to help you level once you get closer to inferno hoggy. Let us know if u need a hand.

Thanks ... but will see what's going for a bit, prolly gonna unplug and think about it. Not sure I want to grind it up again.

Sent blizzard a final message, I think they finally broke me, no longer a fanboy, so that's something some of you will find good in all of this :p

F***en lol:

I'm sorry for the trouble you ran into with a deleted character on your Diablo III account. I noticed that you are a WoW player as well, so you might be aware that situations like this are something we can usually assist with in that game.

Diablo III is a different beast though. Customer Support does not have the ability to undelete a character. A built in mechanism was put in place to undelete characters and we simply don't have a button to do as you ask.

In my personal experience, the ability to restore characters or items is not something I expect in this type of game, regardless of the company behind it. At least I am not aware of any non-MMO type game where I would expect to be able to recover a deleted character through customer support.

I can't think of any non-MMO game like this where the characters are stored on the f*****g server either.

This would be less funny if I hadn't spent so much time recently defending their online-only model..
01:52pm 19/06/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7085 posts
no longer a fanboy

Excellent :)

I don't see why they're so fussy with roll-backs (is there a technical reason for this, or are they trying to limit abuse of the system?), especially since they can verify if the deletions were the last two actions on your account and that you haven't added a new character since. i.e. that you're not exploiting anything.
02:09pm 19/06/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
4747 posts
Funny that a game so many people were begging for ultimately lead them to stop liking blizzard (me being one of them). Oh well blizzard have their RMAH and people paying 100's of dollars on single items so they get to have money fights at the office now. Well, that about wraps up all the series now from them since I wasn't that much of a starcraft or warcraft fan (suck at RTS games hard)

last edited by DM at 14:14:52 19/Jun/12
02:11pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7079 posts
Holy s***, my post survived the nuclear holocaust. How the hell did that happen? Maybe I'm just a c***roach :(

In my personal experience, the ability to restore characters or items is not something I expect in this type of game, regardless of the company behind it. At least I am not aware of any non-MMO type game where I would expect to be able to recover a deleted character through customer support.

Tell them "That might be true for any single-player game which isn't played online..."

last edited by Raven at 14:15:39 19/Jun/12
02:14pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12628 posts
I don't see why they're so fussy with roll-backs (is there a technical reason for this, or are they trying to limit abuse of the system?), especially since they can verify if the deletions were the last two actions on your account and that you haven't added a new character since. i.e. that you're not exploiting anything.

They can roll back an account to a point in time. This is used to restore accounts compromised by hacks etc - its entirely doable, they are refusing to do it.

The most damning thing IMO is that this policy exists alongside their failure to implement any sort of serious confirmation for deletions. Click bottom right, press enter, character GONE, you can empty an account in seconds.

For some reason its not important in d3 (where deletion is permanent) to have to type 'DELETE' but in wow (where as he says you can get them back anyway) you need to.

One of the things I once brought up is that you don't need to backup your characters because they are all in the cloud. Wish I could have now.
02:16pm 19/06/12 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
15390 posts
Surely having it prompt for the account password would be a no brainer
02:25pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12629 posts
Surely having it prompt for the account password would be a no brainer

No, far better to tell customers who have bought hundreds of dollars of your product that you can't help them to restore data for their online-only game.

Not because you don't want to, its not possible. Unless it was a hack. If you have s***** account security that's fine.
02:27pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19363 posts
It seems massively retarded that there isn't better mechanisms in place to not only prevent character deletion (like a confirmation step), but also to allow the customer service guys to restore characters. Especially now that people could have sunk real dollars into improving their character, you'd think having systems in place to secure and recover those characters would be a bit of a priority.
02:33pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
4042 posts
I think once you hit 60 with one character you should be able to roll as many alts as you want starting at level 60 with no gear. Its not an MMO
02:34pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6144 posts
Khel, please stop posting such nonsense. :)
02:45pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12630 posts
It seems massively retarded that there isn't better mechanisms in place to not only prevent character deletion (like a confirmation step), but also to allow the customer service guys to restore characters. Especially now that people could have sunk real dollars into improving their character, you'd think having systems in place to secure and recover those characters would be a bit of a priority.

Yeh its weird, I know I'm the guy with the sore ring at the moment but this seems sensible.

Worse, its totally possible to do a rollback. They do them constantly for hacks.

If you can't do a character restore, then why not give one rollback for non-hacks and give a warning that this is it, smarten up and be more careful because you only get one? Why have Blizz gone down the f***-the-customer path, there is a function that can fix it and keep me playing and howling about their virtues, isn't that the main game for them!?

I also posted this on reddit, trying to attract the hive mind to my cause. Mistake! I got 2 votes, the guy who said delete my kid's character in diablo4 got 40, and 15 or so people told me off parabol-style! C****.
02:52pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Jim
UK
12937 posts
yeh no 'please type delete' confirmation popup is just retarded, they should definitely restore the toons

Funny that a game so many people were begging for ultimately lead them to stop liking blizzard (me being one of them).
yeh this game has made me turn pretty sour on blizzard, I now get the s**** about all the little things that I'd endured from them as minor negatives previously
03:18pm 19/06/12 Permalink
blahnana
Brisbane, Queensland
598 posts
The thing is, if they rollback for anything that's not hax, they open themselves up to all sorts of rollback cases and issues. Not the least of which is issues resolving rollbacks and auctioned items.
03:26pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12631 posts
The thing is, if they rollback for anything that's not hax, they open themselves up to all sorts of rollback cases and issues. Not the least of which is issues resolving rollbacks and auctioned items.

Why is it rollback-able if someone actually steals the s***, a case where dupes will actually happen?

Why not make it harder to actually delete characters, especially level 60 ones?

Why doesn't the client time out properly if you aren't playing?

(test that out, it will sit on char select for a long f*****g time)
03:28pm 19/06/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7086 posts
To be honest I think Blizzard just doesn't care.

They look at the complaints they get. Then they look at the large volume of money flowing into their bank account on a daily basis and come to the conclusion that they have made the right choices and that people with complaints aren't that important. Otherwise the money wouldn't be flowing in, right?

I'm probably going to uninstall the game tonight. Played D2 to death in HC mode, when the loot drops (and other design decisions) weren't tampered with to maximise use of an alternative revenue stream (i.e. RMAH). Can't really justify playing this game anymore due to this.
03:30pm 19/06/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8045 posts
To date I have had pretty minimal problems with D3 other than the odd server lag and scheduled maintenance which is inconvenient with my play time.

However, reading the way they trreated hoggy is pushing me to bin the entire game and company all together. Not because of hoggys (now beaten) kid deleting his character, but because of how their customer service team responded. Pretty piss poor.
03:31pm 19/06/12 Permalink
blahnana
Brisbane, Queensland
599 posts
Why is it rollback-able if someone actually steals the s***, a case where dupes will actually happen?

This threatens the integrity of the service somewhat. People need to feel secure about "playing the game" which includes all the facets. A rollback because someone f***ed up their account is different, and it becomes harder to recognise someone trying to exploit the system.

Why not make it harder to actually delete characters, especially level 60 ones?

I definitely don't disagree with the idea of making it harder to accidentally or deliberately delete characters. I do feel sympathy for you as regards to losing your character, but I don't agree that the barrier for roll backs should be set lower.

I guess for me it's an attitude thing anyway. I see any game as temporary anyway. It's not as if you _invest_ time and you get something equal in value to your time at the end of it. If you don't get your fun playing it, then maybe you're doing it for the wrong reasons.

Blizzard's attitude reflects this, in the way that they treat the data, in the way that they treat the game (Ask HC players whether they'd love to get rollbacks when the servers lag and they die), making changes to core elements of the game that can/do change the economy markedly. Even though they want to siphon money out of the community over a long period of time. If you have a different attitude, you really should be looking elsewhere to spend your time.
03:41pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12632 posts
A rollback because someone f***ed up their account is different, and it becomes harder to recognise someone trying to exploit the system.

But it is a rollback because someone f***ed with my account!
Blizzard's attitude reflects this, in the way that they treat the data, in the way that they treat the game (Ask HC players whether they'd love to get rollbacks when the servers lag and they die), making changes to core elements of the game that can/do change the economy markedly. Even though they want to siphon money out of the community over a long period of time. If you have a different attitude, you really should be looking elsewhere to spend your time.

I don't play HC because I don't want to have my character disappear... you might not be phased but it does irk me. There's a big difference between IAS nerfs and losing your whole character and all his gear. What if I'd spent a hundred bucks on the RMAH?

Are you really saying that every person playing who would be upset if their char was wiped is doing it wrong, and that its OK if Blizzard's db collapsed and we all went back to level one, that anyone who didn't like that is doing it wrong?

Why not just make the whole game HC, if nothing is intended to last, and you shouldn't feel invested in your character over time?
03:45pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Woblzz
Queensland
48 posts
Bring on Torchlight 2!!
03:46pm 19/06/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8046 posts

Bring on Torchlight 2!!

Starting to agree more and more with this. Even before the hoggy kid episode, I've been losing interest a little bit more and more each time I play D3, and it dropped a bit once I finished hell.
03:50pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7080 posts
They look at the complaints they get. Then they look at the large volume of money flowing into their bank account on a daily basis and come to the conclusion that they have made the right choices and that people with complaints aren't that important. Otherwise the money wouldn't be flowing in, right?

In many ways this is why a MMO payment model is better for consumers - don't like it, unsub. There's an ongoing financial incentive that way for Blizzard to fix things.
03:51pm 19/06/12 Permalink
deve
Brisbane, Queensland
50 posts
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5837135682

We will be performing scheduled maintenance for Diablo III starting tomorrow at 3:00 a.m. PDT in order to deploy patch

1.0.3. We anticipate that maintenance will conclude and that all services will be available by approximately 1:00 p.m. PDT.

Important: Please note that you will not be prompted to download patch 1.0.3 until the patch is live in your home region. If you are logging in from a European or Asian client, you will need to wait for this patch to release in that region before it can be installed. Additionally, if your home region is the Americas, you will be unable to log into Europe or Asia using Global Play after patch 1.0.3 is live until those regions have also patched.

For reference, here are the scheduled maintenance times for each region:

The Americas: 3:00 a.m. PDT (6/19) to 1:00 p.m. PDT (6/19)
Europe: 6:00 p.m. PDT (6/19) to 4:00 a.m. PDT (6/20)
Asia: 1:00 p.m. PDT (6/20) to 11:00 p.m. PDT (6/20)

Please note that these times are subject to change. For time zone assistance, please visit: http://everytimezone.com
03:52pm 19/06/12 Permalink
ara
Sydney, New South Wales
3486 posts
Why is it rollback-able if someone actually steals the s***?

this is crazy. i contacted support saying i had lost some equipment after i first killed diablo since it was equipt on my followers. unbeknown to me that the followers would be waiting in town later on. anyways, i asked them to cancel my request but 3 days later they ask i wanted a roll back to get the gear. stating that 2 roll backs per account were possible.

from bliz

Diablo III is only allowed 2 rollbacks per license. You may use these if you would like to, however, we will not be able to gaurantee that we can do this for you, as they are usually reserved for compromise situations.
03:52pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Thundercracker
Brisbane, Queensland
3218 posts
Post a thread on /r/diablo hoggy with details and get qgl to upvote!!

First page material imo.
03:55pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12633 posts
I gave it a go, like this thread there's lot of varying opinion on what's right here so I doubt it will get the momentum for front page material.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/v843y/my_son_deleted_my_characters/

TBH I'm a bit meh over the whole thing now. Torch 2 maybe .. :(
03:57pm 19/06/12 Permalink
blahnana
Brisbane, Queensland
600 posts
There's a big difference between IAS nerfs and losing your whole character and all his gear. What if I'd spent a hundred bucks on the RMAH?

What if you'd spent a hundred bucks on the RMAH on IAS gear and they nerfed it?

Are you really saying that every person playing who would be upset if their char was wiped is doing it wrong, and that its OK if Blizzard's db collapsed and we all went back to level one, that anyone who didn't like that is doing it wrong?

Considering the way Blizzard was always going to, and has, treated the game, I think feeling invested in your char is always going to lead to pain. Yes, I am really saying that.

They dropped the ball without some kind of special "delete" requirement. I agree.

Blizzard isn't pretending to run a democracy any more than is necessary to get people on board with the game. They have the ultimate power in their world. If you do not like it, you should not play. There are many who will play regardless.
04:04pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4971 posts
CS are just being asses now after writing back and forth on why they can or can't rollback.
If you're only allowed two rollbacks per license to stop rampant rollback abuse (and CS valuable time & effort) and it's worth enough to you to consume one of them to get the awesome char back then why should they care enough to fight it?
04:07pm 19/06/12 Permalink
casa
Brisbane, Queensland
4668 posts

Funnily enough, if it WAS wow and they didn't have functions to undelete characters that would actually make more sense than a f*****g single player game.
04:12pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12634 posts
What if you'd spent a hundred bucks on the RMAH on IAS gear and they nerfed it?

I'd still have the item, it just wouldn't be as valuable. Tough s*** and completely different.
Blizzard isn't pretending to run a democracy any more than is necessary to get people on board with the game. They have the ultimate power in their world. If you do not like it, you should not play. There are many who will play regardless.

They also are running a business, and poor customer support should never be excused.
CS are just being asses now after writing back and forth on why they can or can't rollback.
If you're only allowed two rollbacks per license to stop rampant rollback abuse (and CS valuable time & effort) and it's worth enough to you to consume one of them to get the awesome char back then why should they care enough to fight it?

Because they are being arses. A suit has decided that they need to play hardball on this I guess.
04:12pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
20560 posts
Haha, that sucks Hoggy. You'll be laughing about this in a couple of days.

Also, it's weird how WoW can have stuff restored from waaaaaaaaaaaaay back but they can't with Diablo. I guess it goes to show WoW is the better game.

8-)
04:13pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12635 posts
Anyone wanna buy 6 CEs? Mint condition.

Seriously considering selling them...
04:16pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
20561 posts
I'll give you $20 for the pet code to use in WoW. That's if it's not bound to the Battlenet account when installing Diablo.
04:28pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Jim
UK
12938 posts

they've managed to work around those kinds of issues in wow with character restorations

we're using the terminology 'rollback' in this conversation which can have several technical implications depending who you are, but it might not be technically what happens in the backend when they restore a deleted character
04:51pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19366 posts
It sounds to me like thats the problem though, they have no capability to just restore bits and pieces separately in Diablo (which seems like a ridiculous oversight). As I understand it they take a snapshot of everything on your account every few days and the best they can do is roll back to the last snapshot.
04:57pm 19/06/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
4749 posts
While not exactly related to hoggy's misfortune, this is another reason i'm disliking blizzard. This. TL;DR version is, guy sells item for $100 on RMAH, then blizzard fails to deliver him the money or the item after a week of being told to wait, because

we are unable to tinker with Auction House issues as Game Masters have very limited functionality when it comes to supporting Diablo III

The f*** is the point of the GMs then if they can't do simple s*** like return items or characters when an error or child induced error happens?
05:11pm 19/06/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8047 posts
Hoggy, you should just set your computers date and time back a week and see if your characters appear!
05:12pm 19/06/12 Permalink
deve
Brisbane, Queensland
51 posts
2 dudes just beat Hardcore Inferno Diablo
06:50pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Mosfx
Gold Coast, Queensland
1154 posts
Massive Laggggggg
07:28pm 19/06/12 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
15391 posts
Yay, forced break time!
08:02pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Trin
Brisbane, Queensland
2970 posts
no eff you downtime!
08:04pm 19/06/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
16887 posts
08:08pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
20562 posts
08:17pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Thundercracker
Brisbane, Queensland
3219 posts
08:19pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Fade2Black
Brisbane, Queensland
5061 posts
Concerned that length of the down times is going up not down!
08:23pm 19/06/12 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
6858 posts
I like the part where downtime has actually increased since launch, not decreased.

edit: amirite, f2b

last edited by reload! at 20:26:11 19/Jun/12
08:25pm 19/06/12 Permalink
deve
Brisbane, Queensland
52 posts
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5837135682

We will be performing scheduled maintenance for Diablo III starting tomorrow at 3:00 a.m. PDT in order to deploy patch

1.0.3. We anticipate that maintenance will conclude and that all services will be available by approximately 1:00 p.m. PDT.

Important: Please note that you will not be prompted to download patch 1.0.3 until the patch is live in your home region. If you are logging in from a European or Asian client, you will need to wait for this patch to release in that region before it can be installed. Additionally, if your home region is the Americas, you will be unable to log into Europe or Asia using Global Play after patch 1.0.3 is live until those regions have also patched.

For reference, here are the scheduled maintenance times for each region:

The Americas: 3:00 a.m. PDT (6/19) to 1:00 p.m. PDT (6/19)
Europe: 6:00 p.m. PDT (6/19) to 4:00 a.m. PDT (6/20)
Asia: 1:00 p.m. PDT (6/20) to 11:00 p.m. PDT (6/20)

Please note that these times are subject to change. For time zone assistance, please visit: http://everytimezone.com

I posted this 5 hours ago.. You all had warning! Maybe you'll cop a gobby off the missus or get a decent nights rest this evening :)
08:25pm 19/06/12 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
15392 posts
well it does also tell you in the game when you launch it
08:43pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Jim
UK
12939 posts
I'm not sure that reading about it 5 hours ago or 5 minutes ago makes it any less annoying deve
08:47pm 19/06/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15352 posts
Anyone wanna buy 6 CEs? Mint condition.

why did you buy 6 CE's?

08:56pm 19/06/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7087 posts
Remind me again why they need 10 hours for the maintenance. That's a mind-bogglingly long time, especially in 2012 when all other companies in the world have grasped the basics of I.T.

Do they physically fly their servers across the US mainland to their off-site backup location's city for a direct cable transfer of data, then back again for the 5 minute patching?

Sounds like they are getting c***ier by the week with their lack of care about their customers.

On another note, D3 has the fastest uninstaller I've ever used. Took about 200ms to nuke the game. Good riddance.

http://users.on.net/~deadsimple/images/d3u.png

last edited by parabol at 21:09:23 19/Jun/12
09:02pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12636 posts
^ Wonder if you keep posting in D3 threads..
why did you buy 6 CE's?

World of WarCraft
World of WarCraft: The Burning Crusade
World of WarCraft: Wrath of the Lich King
World of WarCraft: Cataclysm
StarCraft II
Diablo II

I was a serious Blizzard fan.
09:31pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6962 posts
They are implementing a patch tonight aren't they? I haven't been following for a week or two, been busy playing DayZ and other titles.
09:35pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19368 posts
I bet you'll still get Heart of the Swarm though hoggy :P
09:36pm 19/06/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15356 posts
World of WarCraft
World of WarCraft: The Burning Crusade
World of WarCraft: Wrath of the Lich King
World of WarCraft: Cataclysm
StarCraft II
Diablo II

I was a serious Blizzard fan.

oh i thought you had bought 6 diablo 3 CE's. this makes a bit more sense.
09:48pm 19/06/12 Permalink
deve
Brisbane, Queensland
53 posts
I'm not sure that reading about it 5 hours ago or 5 minutes ago makes it any less annoying deve

Definitely annoying.
09:52pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7083 posts
I have all WoW CEs, but have done nothing more than activate the second and third expansion. My best chars aren't even level 70.
10:01pm 19/06/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7088 posts
^ Wonder if you keep posting in D3 threads..

Just for you, as you agro easily :)

For those of you still playing (not right now obviously), how has the RMAH been going. Are people still selling stuff off at ridiculous prices? I'm interested to see how the RMAH will fair in the long-term, as it will undoubtedly shape Blizzard's direction for their next game if it becomes a good revenue stream.
10:05pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Nukleuz
Perth, Western Australia
180 posts
They are implementing a patch tonight aren't they? I haven't been following for a week or two, been busy playing DayZ and other titles.

Yep 1.03. Quite a big shake up by the looks of things. An IAS nerf being the biggest one.

MF changes though and some of the rebalances look quite good. I'm wondering if there will be a change to the damage done in Act 4 Inferno. I got Diablo down to 33% but the final clone got off a last ditch shot while in its death animation that nailed me.
10:08pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12637 posts
Just for you, as you agro easily :)

Well done you got a reaction from someone having a s*** day, that's some masterclass forum hero s***.
I bet you'll still get Heart of the Swarm though hoggy :P

Shut up.

Gah.
10:12pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Morax
Brisbane, Queensland
2282 posts
For those of you still playing (not right now obviously), how has the RMAH been going. Are people still selling stuff off at ridiculous prices? I'm interested to see how the RMAH will fair in the long-term, as it will undoubtedly shape Blizzard's direction for their next game if it becomes a good revenue stream.

Unless you're farming act 3-4 Inferno, you won't make much on there. Stuff that sold like hot cakes 1-2 weeks ago isn't worth a cent anymore. Haven't spent a huge amount of time on the RMAH. Made about AUD$4, then found out that if you want to play the RMAH properly, go to the USD one (haven't played enough with this yet).
12:08am 20/06/12 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1575 posts
Lolcats at that dude on the Blizzard forums contacting the FBI over his missing $99.

Sounds bad though, I still haven't played this yet.
02:06am 20/06/12 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2697 posts
Patch 1.03. Aka: what d3 should have been at launch
02:11am 20/06/12 Permalink
Creepy
USA
1958 posts
Some terribad changes in that patch. Some that have me questioning whether to even play the game once I'm done with the storyline (still in Act 2).

- Magic Find will no longer be considered when looting objects in the environment such as chests, barrels, vases, pots, and corpses
- Unique monsters in Hell and Inferno difficulty are no longer guaranteed to drop two Magic items when slain
- Weapon racks will no longer drop weapons 100% of the time
- Destructible objects no longer have a chance to drop items, and will only have a small chance to drop gold when destroyed
02:39am 20/06/12 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
15393 posts
Yeah the weapon racks drop s*** weapons most of the time anyway. also
- The rewards provided for replaying quests has been reduced
06:47am 20/06/12 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
9386 posts
I don't really care, as farming destructibles is an annoying waste of time. I hardly ever check weapon racks too, what scuzzy said.
07:22am 20/06/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5922 posts
I always destroy everything, I think it's a fun addition. And I have skills that make it easy. Hope they up the Gold drop amount if they're taking away the items...

Magic find having no affect is stupid too, it's 'Magic Find'. Not 'Magic find when killing mobs'.

I'll have to see how the IAS nerf goes, I think it's going to hurt my Monk bad... might have to rethink gear/skills... again.
07:28am 20/06/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7085 posts
I agree - of it moves, shoot it. If it looks like it can be blown up, shoot that too.
07:36am 20/06/12 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
15395 posts
Dazhel Yeah it's strange that resetting your password is the "fix" http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5883928416
08:48am 20/06/12 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
9387 posts
I haven't had a problem with gaining experience since the patch.
10:10am 20/06/12 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
2111 posts
Oh my god I went from 50k+ damage to 32. My items are now pretty much worthless.
10:42am 20/06/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7087 posts
haha, wtf? 32k damage, or 32 damage?

What happened?
10:45am 20/06/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19371 posts
I can't remember what the magic find tooltip says, is it "xx% chance of getting a magical item when killing a monster" cos the gold find tooltip specifically says "xx% more gold when killing a monster", not killing a vase.

Either way I'm not fussed, I'll still destroy everything, cos its fun to destroy everything. I never do it cos I'm farming for items, I do it just cos I love breaking s***.
10:48am 20/06/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7089 posts
I thought, but don't quote me, it's "%d better chance of finding magical items".

It's worth noting though that it doesn't affect how good the items are, just that you'll find them.

So if you're constantly getting level 23 drops at level 33, it's not going to make them any better, you're just going to get more s*** to DE.

last edited by Raven at 10:51:48 20/Jun/12
10:50am 20/06/12 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
2112 posts
32k but thats almost half. I can't even kill a pigme now. Like before I could do it with ease but have no chance now.
11:01am 20/06/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12638 posts
32k but thats almost half. I can't even kill a pigme now. Like before I could do it with ease but have no chance now.

You had an IAS gear build?
11:04am 20/06/12 Permalink
do0b
Brisbane, Queensland
4372 posts
whats IAS standfor? im sure it's mentioned somewhere previously but the threads too big now
11:05am 20/06/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12639 posts
Improved Attack Speed (say, 15% Improved Attack Speed).

All IAS modifiers were halved in the patch : http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5869897212
11:06am 20/06/12 Permalink
Thundercracker
Brisbane, Queensland
3220 posts
Yeah i know a few people with IAS heavy gear that are gonna be pissed.
11:13am 20/06/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12641 posts
Yeh the lesson here (and with other nerfs) is to try not to put too many eggs in the same basket.

If a single attribute is so strong that its all you seek (to the point where its as good or better than your primary stat) then you're gonna have a bad time.
11:14am 20/06/12 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
15396 posts
Oh my god I went from 50k+ damage to 32. My items are now pretty much worthless.
I noticed a damage drop too, but I'm not level 60 or anything, just from 2,000 to 1,8000
11:16am 20/06/12 Permalink
Morax
Brisbane, Queensland
2283 posts
Well that's interesting. Pre 1.03, the weapon that my wizard is using (damage 1049, 1.30 APS) was going for about 1 mil on the AH, could probably even pick it up in 800k if you're lucky. It has that damage on it without an attack speed bonus. Looking on the AH now, similar weapons are going for 12-15 mil. Score :)

last edited by Morax at 11:21:25 20/Jun/12
11:18am 20/06/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6965 posts
Yeh the lesson here (and with other nerfs) is to try not to put too many eggs in the same basket.

If a single attribute is so strong that its all you seek (to the point where its as good or better than your primary stat) then you're gonna have a bad time.

The only problem was that Monks and Demon Hunters HAD to stack IAS in order to be somewhat good in hell/inferno. This nerf has however decreased the likely hood of survival and now people will have to figure out another way to survive.

Don't take this as me complaining at a nerf, I don't really care as I don't play any more, however it is saddening to hear how much gear has become less useful now by a simple stat change.
11:34am 20/06/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19373 posts
They made inferno easier though in this patch didn't they? Its kind of obvious though that if a stat is that good that people are stacking it to the exclusion of most others, that its going to get balanced out.
11:46am 20/06/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6966 posts
They made inferno easier though in this patch didn't they? Its kind of obvious though that if a stat is that good that people are stacking it to the exclusion of most others, that its going to get balanced out.

Oh most definitely, if a stat is that mandatory in-order to progress through a game then they need to balance it, however I'm wondering if they also balanced other stats to be more attractive.
11:49am 20/06/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12642 posts
F*** this is amazing, the RMAH is just such a crazy new thing that its going wrong in crazy ways :)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5888889005

Player1 buys IAS item on the RMAH
Item is nerfed.
Player1 requests a chargeback on the transaction.
Both accounts (buyer and seller) get suspended.

haha!
11:52am 20/06/12 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
2113 posts
I had like 3 items with attack speed but I always went for +intel first and attack speed was a bonus. The thing I am not happy about is the weapon I had I paid real money for(the only time I used the rmah) and now it's worthless).
Went from 945dps to 820dps. But it has +261 to intel but still it went from being one of the best items in the game to being practically worthless.
Is what Bliz have done even legal?
11:53am 20/06/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12643 posts
Is what Bliz have done even legal?

Who knows, its a mess :)
11:56am 20/06/12 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
9388 posts
How are you guys finding the repair costs since 1.0.3?
11:57am 20/06/12 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
2114 posts
I was toying with the idea of selling all my gear a few days ago because I feared this was going to happen but I didn't think legally they could do it.
12:00pm 20/06/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15358 posts
lol at the s*** storm. this is the reason why valve didn't remove set bonuses from hats when they were first introduced. they didn't want to have to deal with all the s*** from the people that had bought the hats.
12:01pm 20/06/12 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
944 posts
Hurrah! My DH is now useless. Between the nether tentacles/caltrops nerfs and reduced IAS I am now forced to go back to farming, as my build is now useless.
12:02pm 20/06/12 Permalink
casa
Brisbane, Queensland
4669 posts

went from 130k dps to 100k, oh well
12:05pm 20/06/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12644 posts
Hurrah! My DH is now useless. Between the nether tentacles nerf and reduced IAS I am now forced to go back to farming. Or stop playing.......

Not trying got be a smart arse, but weren't you farming before the patch? Is there some sort of alternate non-farm endgame I'm missing? :)
12:06pm 20/06/12 Permalink
casa
Brisbane, Queensland
4670 posts

ps the ball lightning rune for elemental arrow does the same damage as nether tentacle and still hits multiple targets, you just dont get the heal from it is all.
12:07pm 20/06/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6967 posts
Was just about to post that Hogfather! Heh pretty crazy how the RMAH is bringing more negative actions instead of what they hoped for.
12:08pm 20/06/12 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
945 posts
Not trying got be a smart arse, but weren't you farming before the patch? Is there some sort of alternate non-farm endgame I'm missing? :)

I got to inferno act II without needing to farm, but I was using the AH pretty regularly (although I've only spent ~300K across the whole game) Act II was a pretty hard wall to hit, and yesterday evening I thought it was about time to start backtracking. I was going to start farming in Act I Inferno, but now I can't :S

casa - I think nether tentacles still hit multiple targets, they just don't repeatedly hit the same target. Either way, they now do the same dmg as ball lightning.
12:10pm 20/06/12 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
2115 posts
I can't even farm anymore. I will have a run through act 3 tonight but I think I will just sell all my s*** and go back to dota2 or the real world. 50% nerf for IAS seems overkill.
12:13pm 20/06/12 Permalink
Vash
3550 posts
Aww DHs actually have to farm now? I had to farm heaps of Act 1 inferno to even be able to set foot in Act 2 as a Barbarian. Now with the patch i actually have a chance.

Like before I could do it with ease but have no chance now.

The tears are beautiful. My barb does 10K dps and im not even tanky.
12:15pm 20/06/12 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
15397 posts
F*** this is amazing, the RMAH is just such a crazy new thing that its going wrong in crazy ways :)
weapon stats changed? better get a credit card charge back! http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5889158971
12:21pm 20/06/12 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
2116 posts
Only reason I bought my weapon was because I was sick of farming act1. I had been farming it for over a week solid and I hated act1 before that.
12:23pm 20/06/12 Permalink
carter
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
37 posts
Why would anyone pay real money for an in game item is beyond me.

You have finished the game 3 times.. then you pay $100+ (after you've already paid for the game) just to finish it for that 4th time.
12:31pm 20/06/12 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
2117 posts
At the time I had no intention of keeping it. In fact before the nerf the item was worth more than what I paid for it. now I'll be lucky to get $20 for it.
Also I weighed up my options. I could work for 1 hour and make that money or I could farm for 50 hours to acheive the same result. My time is better spent work and then buying the item IMO.
12:41pm 20/06/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4977 posts

lol, seller accounts end up getting banned because the trio of Buyer, Blizzard and CC company have a dispute?
what a hilarious mess. :D

That's a good enough reason for me to stay away from the RMAH, if I want to keep playing D3.
12:41pm 20/06/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12645 posts
weapon stats changed? better get a credit card charge back! http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5889158971
Yeh there's a fair bit of that going on at the moment, a few institutions will be calling some suits at Blizzard I reckon :)

There's an EULA fo sho, but its never been tested in court. Its pretty standard consumer law in most countries that you don't get to change the item you're selling after you sell it!

For example I'd get kicked in the face if I sold unlimited email accounts and then decided that was a bad idea and made them limit 5 per customer without issuing refunds or providing a grandfather period for existing customers. No amount of "but you agreed to this!" would save me.

The reality of the RMAH is that its a commodity trading market of sorts, where the value of what you buy may rapidly change. This is fine when you're using fake money. But for lots, and lots of reasons these sorts of markets IRL are heavily regulated. Huge can o worms is open.
lol, seller accounts end up getting banned because the trio of Buyer, Blizzard and CC company have a dispute?
what a hilarious mess. :D

I know right, I can't help but laugh.
12:42pm 20/06/12 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
2118 posts
Prolly not such a bit deal that u lost ur toon now because you would probably be mad right about now?
12:54pm 20/06/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19375 posts
The seller's account gets suspended cos it could be someone running a scam. Get two accounts, sell a $250 item on one, buy it with the other, then get a chargeback. Presto, free $250.

But yeah, its a mess
12:57pm 20/06/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
16890 posts
so what was the reason they nerfed IAS anyway?

people getting inflated damage from it?
01:01pm 20/06/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6968 posts
so what was the reason they nerfed IAS anyway?

people getting inflated damage from it?

I'm guessing people were using it as a staple stat and Blizzard didn't like that so they nerfed it. Since they nerfed the stat by half, a lot of gear has become useless, and thus people are pushing chargebacks to get their money back. This causes both buyer and seller to get banned from what I presume is a security method, and now we have one massive pile of a mess.
01:05pm 20/06/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4978 posts
Presto, free $250.

But it's a virtual item not a physical item though so Blizzard are in full control - to stop scams like that from occurring if a chargeback occurs on a buyer account they can simply delete the item from that account. From there, give it back to the seller (or not, depending on rollbacks)

I'm starting to think the South Koreans were onto something when they banned their RMAH launch.
01:06pm 20/06/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12646 posts
Prolly not such a bit deal that u lost ur toon now because you would probably be mad right about now?

Do you want to know the secret?

HOG SMASH
01:10pm 20/06/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6969 posts
I don't think they are concerned about the item disappearing, it is more so that you get a free $250 from performing a chargeback.

Account A puts a item up for $250
Account B buys that item for $250 but the money isn't moving anywhere because you own that money
Account B then performs a chargeback, thus giving them another $250 for free

At least, that is what I'm presuming, no clue if it would work.
01:11pm 20/06/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7091 posts
The reality of the RMAH is that its a commodity trading market of sorts, where the value of what you buy may rapidly change

I agree to an extent, but the value is not based solely on natural market forces or what's popular at the time, etc.

The item is arbitrarily created by and manipulated by the same entity that takes a cut of the transactions. Ths can only cause grief :/
01:11pm 20/06/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
16891 posts
I'm guessing people were using it as a staple stat and Blizzard didn't like that so they nerfed it. Since they nerfed the stat by half, a lot of gear has become useless, and thus people are pushing chargebacks to get their money back. This causes both buyer and seller to get banned from what I presume is a security method, and now we have one massive pile of a mess.

yeah i get the implications of the nerf, just wasn't sure why in the first place with regards to actualy game play

you'd think they would learn by now that people always find these little loophole type things and all jump on the bandwagon, it has been the same right through diablo 2.

the next big thing will pop up and people will all start stacking whatever stat it might be, are they just going to keep nerfing it each time?
01:13pm 20/06/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12647 posts
I agree to an extent, but the value is not based solely on natural market forces or what's popular at the time, etc.

The item is arbitrarily created by and manipulated by the same entity that takes a cut of the transactions. Ths can only cause grief :/

Oh absolutely! There's all sorts of market shenanigans that would make regulators pale. The nature of the online game nerf cycle is that people are going to be buying the best items for a particular class / build, Blizzard rides the crest of that price bubble and then after they get their cut, deliberately prick the asset class bubble!

Its f*****g mental and its like watching a disaster movie unfold, this is the bit where people start to complain about weird noises and tremors.

There's also s*** like this:
Legendary items with the +Attack Speed bonus will now correctly provide a bonus to attack speed. Please note that this fix will only affect new Legendary drops. Existing Legendary items will be addressed in future patch.

So there's NO WAY to tell if the legendary item you are buying with your moolah really has the stat on it? What the hell lol?
01:14pm 20/06/12 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
15398 posts
http://i.imgur.com/FUYSp.jpg man that sure is a lot of money to put into a non refundable battle net balance.
01:16pm 20/06/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4979 posts
Account B then performs a chargeback, thus giving them another $250 for free

wut? A chargeback isn't free money from nowhere, it gets deducted from the merchant account and sent back to the customer account. It's a transaction reversal.

If you're both the merchant and customer zero money moves but nothing changes hands (less fees) so the only benefit I can see is presumably item duping (maybe via seller account rollback somehow) so you could then sell both items to someone else.
01:17pm 20/06/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12648 posts
wut? A chargeback isn't free money from nowhere, it gets deducted from the merchant account and sent back to the customer account. It's a transaction reversal.

Ahh but that's the thing - the merchant is Blizzard being charged back the $250 when the seller can have already withdrawn the $212.50 from the sale from their Blizzard wallet.

AccountA: puts $250 in wallet.
AccountB: lists $250 item.
A: buys item, B gets 212 in wallet.
B transfers money to bank account.
A charges back, gets the 250.

If A and B are the same person, they're up $212. Blizzard is the merchant and stuck with the bill.

Its f***ed, lol :)
01:19pm 20/06/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19376 posts
Hrmm, I thought the max you could have in there was $250?
01:19pm 20/06/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19377 posts

Wheres it going to come from though? When you sell something, money goes into your "Battlenet wallet" or whatever, and then you transfer it out of that into paypal and from there into your accounts.

So you sell the item, get the money, transfer it out of Blizzard's system and thats it, its gone, its yours. Then you do a chargeback and get that money too. Blizzard then foots the bill.
01:20pm 20/06/12 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
15399 posts
But there's three parties, the cash isn't going directly from the buyer to the seller, and I very much doubt any item's are going to be returned.
01:21pm 20/06/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12649 posts
But there's three parties, the cash isn't going directly from the buyer to the seller, and I very much doubt any item's are going to be returned.

Yeh but the chargeback is to the merchant (Blizzard as the middleman).

If you've already withdrawn the money Blizz would need to hunt you down. They can't, its too expensive to chase $200, so they shut down both accounts.

Meanwhile the people who legitimately sell IAS gear before patch for market price and have the transaction charged back log into a big f*** you!
01:25pm 20/06/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
16892 posts
so yeah,

Real Money Auction House

what a sick idea

i wonder if they thought it would turn into such cluster f*** when they decided they were going to implement the idea. surely they must have had some inkling
01:25pm 20/06/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4980 posts
Ahh, I getcha now. Because of the Blizzard wallet intermediary multiple transactions need reversing across a myriad of payment providers and that's causing nightmares for them so they just take the simple option and hit the nuke button on both accounts.
They've effectively exposed themselves to credit card fraud by acting as a bank without the anti-fraud resources a bank would have at it's disposal.
01:30pm 20/06/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12650 posts
i wonder if they thought it would turn into such cluster f*** when they decided they were going to implement the idea. surely they must have had some inkling
Prolly went something like this:

"How the f*** are we going to pay for online only without a subscription?"
"We could release regular content as DLC? Sort of like mini expansions"
"... Take too f*****g long. Besides, this is Blizzard, for some reason we make it really hard to alter our games and patch s***. Also, work. Surely there's an easier hustle?!"
"Why do we-"
"More ideas?"
"What about if we had a real money auction house?"
" .... "
"F*** me, that's amazing!"
"But what ab-"
"Would it be hard?
"Nah, just replace gold with money lol"
"You're getting a pay rise! We'll be rich!"
"But wha-"
"Hmm we need to make the end game really f*****g hard so people get frustrated and buy s***."
"Hey, I ju-"
"Yeh, hey, that's cool, we can pimp it out as some sort of uber mode! An epic challenge or something?!"
"MONEY MODE YOU MEAN!"
"haha!"
"but-"
"Can someone get rid of this guy? He's annoying."
"Money! Money!"
"WOOOO RMAH!!!!"
01:33pm 20/06/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8051 posts
^-

"Quick, outsource it Bangalore for development!"
02:45pm 20/06/12 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
7440 posts
softcore is a clusterf***.. hardcore is where its at.. no rmah.... for now...

after this mess i can guarantee it wont be introduced

I would hate to be the consultant who designed the RMAH process
04:01pm 20/06/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15359 posts
i wonder if they will remove the ability to transfer your money to paypal.
04:06pm 20/06/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
4755 posts
The only way the RMAH would of been ok and sensible is if they put a cap on the items you were selling, like $5 or $10 at most. Is anyone surprised that the people who were selling items for like 30m for a 1000dps weapon are now asking like $50+ for the same thing? I havn't even touched D3 in like 2 weeks or something and I seriously doubt I will again.
04:07pm 20/06/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12651 posts
softcore is a clusterf***.. hardcore is where its at.. no rmah.... for now...

Yeh I'm considering HC now, at least that way I would have started from northing anyway :p
04:26pm 20/06/12 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
7442 posts
in other news inferno hardcore has been beaten.. the community manager first said that this was not a world first.. but then stated it was..

The Vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaDA7GxAtXM

The confirmation
https://twitter.com/#!/Bashiok

I have been following Kripp for awhile now and was able to watch it live.. grats guys

I also put this in a separate post since I think its news worthy
04:42pm 20/06/12 Permalink
do0b
Brisbane, Queensland
4373 posts
40k to repair is a bit harsh, 95% of my deaths are due to server lag!!
05:19pm 20/06/12 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
4043 posts
i wonder if they will remove the ability to transfer your money to paypal.
They might, but then it just becomes "Blizzard Bucks" and is just another virtual currency. If they do that, they are just indirectly selling gold (since items can be converted to gold via the GAH) which is probably a safer idea than the RMAH but presumedly was discarded during development as something they didnt want to do.
05:31pm 20/06/12 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
6135 posts
The best part about this thread is Hogfather back peddling his love for diablo 3.
05:36pm 20/06/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12652 posts
The best part about this thread is Hogfather back peddling his love for diablo 3.

1700 posts and THAT's your favourite bit?
05:49pm 20/06/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
16894 posts
is he backpedalling his love for d3 or blizzard?

06:31pm 20/06/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4984 posts
I reckon it's justified to back pedal on a love for Blizzard if their customer service team refused to provide service because of some stupid arbitrary rule.
06:36pm 20/06/12 Permalink
icewyrm
Brisbane, Queensland
2503 posts
If I were you Hoggy, I'd call the d3 support phone number (
1-800-041-378 is it?) and ask to speak to a team leader or manager.

Sounds to me like they can do the rollback, but the casual plebs answering your tickets have mixed info as to whether or not they can actually do it.

Though it's been a while, I guess you might already be over it.
07:03pm 20/06/12 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
6136 posts
1700 posts and THAT's your favourite bit?

yes, your tears are delicious.
07:04pm 20/06/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12653 posts
yes, your tears are delicious.

Seriously, some of you really are jerks. I'm all for a piss take and argy-bargy but I don't understand why you'd point and laugh at someone who lost their main char the way I did.

Think I might just take a break from QGL a while, this has bummed me out a bit.
07:18pm 20/06/12 Permalink
JakeG
Thailand
1093 posts
Hog I know it's s*** what happened but it's ultimately your fault.

Laughing at other peoples misfortune? Welcome to the internet..
07:32pm 20/06/12 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9679 posts
1. Gamers are a*******
2. Banks are a******

Why on earth anyone thinks real money trading between gamers is a good idea is beyond me.

Micro-transactions are fine whatever, but gamers are fickle self centered drug f***ed morons for the most part.
07:46pm 20/06/12 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
6859 posts
hoggy he didn't even say he was laughing at your character being deleted, he said it was at your turnaround in blizzard love. I too find it funny that for ages whenever someone else has been posting in this thread to complain about things you've been all 'lol new idea lol' and now all you're doing is complaining.

it's ok maen, d3 really is a giant steaming turd!
09:47pm 20/06/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
4757 posts
10:40pm 20/06/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15362 posts
haha
10:42pm 20/06/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6972 posts
Found this interesting:
  • IAS is nerfed more than 50%. 50% nerf is the best case scenario. For most items its around 60% and for weapons it is higher (as high as 75%).
  • Can find a whole list of undocumented changes over here, some are quite severe.
    11:12pm 20/06/12 Permalink
    Khel
    Brisbane, Queensland
    19382 posts
    That list seems a bit off cos

Mythic potions drops nerfed? Could be related to destructible items

Seems to be the opposite to what I was just experiencing. I was just playing and was getting more mythic potions than I have in the past and was thinking "I wonderr if they increased the drop rate".

I think its just that patch day syndrome where people imagine a lot of things to have secretly changed based on their experiences straight after the patch. The old "Onyxia deep breaths more" syndrome.
    11:55pm 20/06/12 Permalink
    Offset
    Brisbane, Queensland
    402 posts
    Elite mob that used to spawn to right of Dahlgur Oasis is now purple monster that does not grant NV

This is a kick in the balls for me. That was my best farming run :(
    03:22am 21/06/12 Permalink
    Eorl
    Brisbane, Queensland
    6974 posts
    That list seems a bit off cos

Seems to be the opposite to what I was just experiencing. I was just playing and was getting more mythic potions than I have in the past and was thinking "I wonderr if they increased the drop rate".

I think its just that patch day syndrome where people imagine a lot of things to have secretly changed based on their experiences straight after the patch. The old "Onyxia deep breaths more" syndrome.

Well it is an unofficial post, so it is based purely on speculation. There are some that seem to be true, and other that might just not be documented properly.
    08:55am 21/06/12 Permalink
    Strik3r
    Brisbane, Queensland
    2082 posts
    I found act 1 MUCH easier despite a 4k drop in my DPS due to the IAS nerf (luckily I only had it on 3 items). Gonna grab my barb mate tonight and give act 2 ago since the progression is supposed to be a bit more linear.
    10:32am 21/06/12 Permalink
    Jim
    UK
    12942 posts
    I lost about 1/3 of my already s*** dps, resulting in a lot of deaths on content I used to blaze through for farming - this in turn resulted in the loss of a lot of gold. hope the cost of gear comes down soon
    10:49am 21/06/12 Permalink
    Khel
    Brisbane, Queensland
    19383 posts
    I found act 1 MUCH easier

Yeah same. I only played it a little bit last night, but I was taking down elite packs with invulnerable minions and elite packs with mortar (even with the new change where mortar can shoot furthur) quite easily and without any deaths.

Granted its only Act 1 and I know the difficulty ramps up substantially in later acts of Inferno, but pre-patch I was still struggling in Act 1 and last night I was breezing through.
    10:54am 21/06/12 Permalink
    paveway
    Brisbane, Queensland
    16896 posts
    i was making my final push for level 60 last night after the servers shut down the night before, iinet f**** out last night and i ended up going to bed

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGE
    12:25pm 21/06/12 Permalink
    Dodgymon
    Brisbane, Queensland
    2119 posts
    Overall most the changes seem ok. For me it has made the game harder and repairing is killing me. I can take a few more hits now vs champ packs but the lack of damage is a pain in the arse.
    What I am pissed about is all these changes should have been like this on release and not a month after the games release.

I found act 1 too easy but act 2 is still a bastard not because ur dying more it's just because repairs cost per death is way too much.
    12:28pm 21/06/12 Permalink
    Morax
    Brisbane, Queensland
    2284 posts
    I think it's time to have a break from D3. I wanted so much for this game to be great, but it just isn't. After this amount of time spent playing, I want my char to feel powerful; right now it just feels like a squealing worm on a hook.
    12:42pm 21/06/12 Permalink
    defi
    Wynnum, Queensland
    2897 posts
    Myself and Exi killed Azmodan last night on the third attempt, after 20 wipes on Cydea.

Adrenaline rush when Exi died on Cydea @ 25% and I had to kite the mobs, get off my AOE stun and res him. Finally got her down. Azmodan is a cakewalk. ACT 4 B******

12:52pm 21/06/12 Permalink
    Dazhel
    Gold Coast, Queensland
    4988 posts
    I'll post this in here so the other thread doesn't have to get bumped:

Dazwah#6995
    02:06pm 21/06/12 Permalink
    slamma
    Perth, Western Australia
    54 posts
    Finally staring to pick up some decent drops,sick of goin to AH to get something decent.cheers
    02:16pm 21/06/12 Permalink
    defi
    Wynnum, Queensland
    2898 posts
    If ur dying consistently you need to look at your play style / gearing. Then spend some time farming the correct items, dont just disenchant blues either.

I by no means have great gear, but I do have around 3 gear sets hanging in my stash, and i never sell anything that I think I may use. That way I can change gear / specs all the time to suit what I am doing.

With my barb last night on inferno Cydea (Boss before Azmodan) I had to change specs completely and run a double stun, group survivability spec, as well as run less All Resist and more HP and armor. This allowed me to stun the adds she spawns for 8 seconds or so when they spawn while my wizard DPS's down. Then had Ignore pain with the group rune to use if wizard got stuck in sticky situations.

More normal build is nothing like that and my gearing is completely different.
    02:59pm 21/06/12 Permalink
    Dodgymon
    Brisbane, Queensland
    2120 posts
    Thats the thing though. This update is suited for barbs but nerfs wiz and dh to the point where it makes it much harder and more expensive to get through act 2 and 3.
    04:26pm 21/06/12 Permalink
    Morax
    Brisbane, Queensland
    2285 posts
    lol! Forbes reports that Vivendi is looking to sell off Acti-Blizzard. I wonder if D3's tarnished reputation has anything to do with this?

Activision is Vivendi’s fourth largest company, and the second fastest growing, with $4.76 billion in sales last year, and share value outperforming both EA and Take Two, Bloomberg reports. All of which makes the possibility of a sale of the company puzzling to say the least.

Forbes.com link
    04:36pm 21/06/12 Permalink
    DM
    Gold Coast, Queensland
    4761 posts
    Game over if EA buys it. The company will be gutted and reduced to 5 hour games with dubstep trailers.
    04:39pm 21/06/12 Permalink
    Morax
    Brisbane, Queensland
    2286 posts

Game over if EA buys it. The company will be gutted and reduced to 5 hour games with dubstep trailers.

Hey now! What's wrong with dubstep?
    04:45pm 21/06/12 Permalink
    Khel
    Brisbane, Queensland
    19391 posts
    I wonder if D3's tarnished reputation has anything to do with this?

I doubt it, by the time the next WoW expansion or SC2 expansion comes out, people will have forgotten they were upset with Blizzard and the cash will keep rolling in. Activision is far more widley reviled than Blizzard ever will be, and it hasn't hurt their bottom line any.

As well of course as the 11 million or so people paying $20 a month every month to play WoW, thats a huge revenue stream to just throw away. And when you throw in Activision's COD games, its quite puzzling indeed, Acti-Blizzard would be a cash cow.

I'd also imagine they haven't really been *that* tarnished by the D3 stuff. Yeah theres plenty of whinging on the forums, but like in WoW, the vocal minority on the forums make up a very small percentage of the actual player base. I've got people on my d3 friends list who aren't "hardcore" gamers and don't follow gaming news and don't really give a s*** about any of the drama surrounding d3, they're still happily enjoying the game and loving blizzard.

Same way that we can sit here and slag off COD games, but they still sell millions and millions of copies because the vast majority of people either have lower expectations than we do as "hardcore" gamers, or they just don't care.
    04:46pm 21/06/12 Permalink
    Reverend Evil™
    Wynnum, Queensland
    20568 posts
    You guys are lucky us WoW players are keeping the SC and Diablo universes going.
    04:59pm 21/06/12 Permalink
    Dazhel
    Gold Coast, Queensland
    4989 posts
    You guys are lucky us WoW players are keeping the SC and Diablo universes going.

If we can reserve the right to whinge about your patches taking down our game, you can reserve the right to whinge about our patches taking down your game, deal?
    05:25pm 21/06/12 Permalink
    Reverend Evil™
    Wynnum, Queensland
    20569 posts
    I know that Tuesday nite will prolly be off limits for WoW. It's been happening for 8 years now. You can't break me damn it! The hilarious thing is seeing Diablo people getting upset about Tuesday downtime 8-)
    05:34pm 21/06/12 Permalink
    Eorl
    Brisbane, Queensland
    6984 posts
    That is a bit puzzling that Vivendi want to sell of Activision Blizzard, will be interesting what outcome is met.
    05:38pm 21/06/12 Permalink
    DM
    Gold Coast, Queensland
    4762 posts
    The hilarious thing is seeing Diablo people getting upset about Tuesday downtime

Rightfully so. Why should a single player game, with minimal multiplayer features (4man co-op is nothing compaired to WoW) require weekly downtime for 8+ hours? Blizzard just cant run stable servers.
    05:39pm 21/06/12 Permalink
    defi
    Wynnum, Queensland
    2899 posts
    Thats the thing though. This update is suited for barbs but nerfs wiz and dh to the point where it makes it much harder and more expensive to get through act 2 and 3.
    I think it just brought them in line.
    05:42pm 21/06/12 Permalink
    eski
    Perth, Western Australia
    952 posts
    schadenfreude makes the world go round
    05:48pm 21/06/12 Permalink
    Superform
    Netherlands
    7443 posts
    Farming has become easier and less boring... Instead of farming act 1 goblins , which I think was nurfed I can do 5 stack ghom/azmo runs
    06:58pm 21/06/12 Permalink
    TicMan
    Melbourne, Victoria
    8053 posts
    Funnily I spent the last couple of weeks racing to 60 to get into inferno whenever I could play but since then have barely logged in. All I've done in Act 1 Inferno is get to the first check point.

Over the past week I've contemplated playing but all of a sudden, I am being drawn back to SWToR particularly when the new patch goes up..
    09:36am 22/06/12 Permalink
    parabol
    Brisbane, Queensland
    7096 posts
    The hilarious thing is seeing Diablo people getting upset about Tuesday downtime 8-)

Nah the "hilarious thing" is that you happily accept one night a week of downtime as being normal and OK for a game you paid for, and in the case of WoW continually paying for.

It's not OK, and the joke is sadly on you.
    09:45am 22/06/12 Permalink
    Khel
    Brisbane, Queensland
    19394 posts
    I am being drawn back to SWToR particularly when the new patch goes up

Whens that happening? I'll probably play some more ToR when the patch goes live cos it has the LFG tool. Cos I really enjoy doing the flashpoints but getting groups together is just too much of a hassle, especially if you want to run a bunch of them.

Wonder if their LFG tool will cover operations as well, that'd be interesting.
    10:11am 22/06/12 Permalink
    Reverend Evil™
    Wynnum, Queensland
    20580 posts
    It's not OK, and the joke is sadly on you

Why is the joke sad? I thought they were meant to be funny.
    10:45am 22/06/12 Permalink
    ravn0s
    Brisbane, Queensland
    15375 posts
    blizzard has been forced to give refunds in south korea
    12:15pm 22/06/12 Permalink
    Dodgymon
    Brisbane, Queensland
    2121 posts
    Has anyone done Ghom (larder) on inferno?
    He seems impossible because the entire screen is filled with poison. I am guessing the trick is to walk him around the outside as slow as you can so you get a chance for the poison to die down.
    03:29pm 24/06/12 Permalink
    Thundercracker
    Brisbane, Queensland
    3221 posts
    After incurring a hefty repair bill and ragequitting I remember that bliz have added enrage timers.

So f*****g annoying >.<
    05:50pm 24/06/12 Permalink
    TicMan
    Melbourne, Victoria
    8063 posts
    Khel probably the same as you, once the new patch goes up and the LFG tool is in.
    06:03pm 24/06/12 Permalink
    Eorl
    Brisbane, Queensland
    7003 posts
    If you have an authenticator, I urge you to copy down the removal code. Going through the process now to get my one removed so I can add a new one, as I just changed phones from my old Desire HD to my Lumia 900 and completely forgot to get rid of it.
    06:35pm 24/06/12 Permalink
    ara
    Sydney, New South Wales
    3487 posts
    If you have an authenticator, I urge you to copy down the removal code. Going through the process now to get my one removed so I can add a new one, as I just changed phones from my old Desire HD to my Lumia 900 and completely forgot to get rid of it.

there is a sms recovery option for that, if you have it set up beforehand of course.
    07:30pm 24/06/12 Permalink
    TicMan
    Melbourne, Victoria
    8064 posts
    When I changed phones and forgot to remove the authenticator it only took ~24hrs for Blizzard to remove it once I proved that I owned my account. I think proof was a CD key from a game added to my Battle.Net account and a photocopy of some ID (license).
    08:00pm 24/06/12 Permalink
    Reverend Evil™
    Wynnum, Queensland
    20595 posts
    Speaking of authenticators. How long do the battery ones last and can you just open them and put another battery in when the old one goes flat? I bought mine back when they were released for WoW. I'm guessing it would last at least 5-6 years, maybe more.
    08:02pm 24/06/12 Permalink
    ara
    Sydney, New South Wales
    3488 posts
    Speaking of authenticators. How long do the battery ones last and can you just open them and put another battery in when the old one goes flat? I bought mine back when they were released for WoW. I'm guessing it would last at least 5-6 years, maybe more.

i don't think so. if they work like the RSA tokens they are synced with the server that keeps track of them before being sent out. that is how they know which number is coming up on your fob, because at the same time the same number is coming up on their server. once the battery is removed, the clock in the fob that they seed it with isn't going to be synced anymore.
    08:22pm 24/06/12 Permalink
    Eorl
    Brisbane, Queensland
    7004 posts
    Yeah don't think I set up SMS recovery, ah well I just sent a ticket with drivers license, though I'll have to find my Diablo 3 CD Key if they ask for that.
    09:08pm 24/06/12 Permalink
    HerbalLizard
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5554 posts
    i don't think so. if they work like the RSA tokens they are synced with the server that keeps track of them before being sent out. that is how they know which number is coming up on your fob, because at the same time the same number is coming up on their server. once the battery is removed, the clock in the fob that they seed it with isn't going to be synced anymore.
    And in the reverse if the server does have its clock in sync then none of the client can log in either, can happen a bit in vm environments where a retard has set it up and there is too much time drift..mind you its not just two factor auth effected there

Also started playing finally with a guest access pass currently DH lvl12 still farming to get my blacksmith upgraded and get myself to at least lvl 14 while I wait for payday to upgrade
    07:12am 25/06/12 Permalink
    Scooter
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5932 posts
    Been cutting my teeth into Onferno for a little bit, was previously just farming Hell Whimsyshire / Act IV.
    I'm at the point where I can do content and take down a few elite packs, Vortex+Plague+Arcane seem to screw me the most... Molten+Wall combo inside caevs seems to do some damage as well.

Pave joined for a bit which saw me using a lot more potions than normal... then Strik3r and his mate (?) came on and we took down Butcher, I think I'll be doing Act 1 for a little while though, untill I can afford some good Life on Hit and a better weapon...

Herbal, Blacksmith is (currently) a waste of money. Spend the Upgrade costs on the AH and you'll get much better equipment. I'd just save the money though, items that drop should be fine to get you through all/most of Normal/Nightmare/Hell. Then you have a nice chunk of change to buy some gear for Inferno so you don't get reemed by the first large pack of normal mobs.
    07:33am 25/06/12 Permalink
    defi
    Wynnum, Queensland
    2900 posts
    BTW for all you guys leveling......

+ Experience. Load it up on every item you have and watch your EXP just tick. Make sure you get the + Experience % Gem in your helm aswell.

Got my WD from 19 to 34 in no time yesterday, after I spent about 50k on low level legendaries with + Exp on them on AH.
    07:54am 25/06/12 Permalink
    Scooter
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5933 posts
    Yeah, the quicker you hit 60 the quicker you can... oh wait, you'll hit 60 before you reach Inferno anyway.
    08:06am 25/06/12 Permalink
    Mosfx
    Gold Coast, Queensland
    1164 posts
    I just stack on Strength and Vitality onto my Barbarian, the guys a machine!
    08:11am 25/06/12 Permalink
    paveway
    Brisbane, Queensland
    16905 posts
    yeah that was working well for me too mosfxx, once you get to inferno you need to start thinking about other stats like defence and resistances which means i am now starting to sacrifice a bit int and vit for those other stats
    12:42pm 25/06/12 Permalink
    Scooter
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5934 posts
    My Monk has ~250 Resist (Resist all at max Trait) and I was reading where I should be around 700ish for Inferno Monk... woops.
    Maybe Molten/Arcane/Plague wouldn't give me as much grief if I had Resist out the Wazoo.
    12:44pm 25/06/12 Permalink
    defi
    Wynnum, Queensland
    2901 posts
    Yer you bloody monks have it good with that passive.

I am at 500 all resist on my barb, (720 buffed or something) and Act 3 is still f***ed with Arcane / molten mobs.
    01:01pm 25/06/12 Permalink
    Khel
    Brisbane, Queensland
    19424 posts
    Remember int gives you resistances as well. 10 points of int is roughly equivalent to 1 point of resistance (to everything)
    01:15pm 25/06/12 Permalink
    defi
    Wynnum, Queensland
    2902 posts
    The conversion of Int to Resist is horrid though, surely they need to adjust it to 5 int per 1 resist or something to make it somewhat slightly reasonable.
    01:19pm 25/06/12 Permalink
    Raven
    Melbourne, Victoria
    7106 posts
    Circlet of Borg-crushing
    +35% resistance to futility.
    01:34pm 25/06/12 Permalink
    DM
    Gold Coast, Queensland
    4779 posts
    My Monk has ~250 Resist (Resist all at max Trait) and I was reading where I should be around 700ish for Inferno Monk... woops.

I havn't touched D3 in ages but last time I was in a group with a barbarian on inferno my resists were at about 1250 with his shout and it gave me like 80% resist all. Monks have it easy when it comes to gearing for resistance. A lot of my gear is +35ish arcane +70 resist all, so it's really +105 all per item. I went for arcane because I already had some items with it so it made gearing quicker. Without any other buffs except self ones, I run about 830 for all types.

Even with like 80% resist all damage I still died in like 3 hits to bees pre-1.0.3. All that said there seems to be a serious drop off at 800+ levels. The difference between 800 and 1200 is really only like 5% or so, so once you hit 800 i'd say it'd be better to go for damage or something else.

last edited by DM at 13:44:44 25/Jun/12
    01:43pm 25/06/12 Permalink
    Superform
    Netherlands
    7444 posts
    Yeah I'm kinda stuck in act 1 hardcore since I only have around 450 all resist so I've been running rumford and collecting tomes to upgrade my gems... Not enough ppl play hc so the ah is empty
    06:53pm 25/06/12 Permalink
    Fade2Black
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5064 posts
    I got my monk to 60 on Friday night about 11pm.

By Sunday night I'd spent maybe 400K gold him, his stats look like this atm self buffed (healing aura with the +20% resistances and the all resists passive, mirror image guy that gives me 10% healt):

70K health
    5K armor
    5K damage
    720 resist all
    2.6% damage converted to life
    800 life on hit (1.2 attacks per second on weapon)
    800 health per second

I've found a few uber items over the weekend too, including a ring that has 70 resist all, 50 poison resist, 70 dexterity, 6-12 damage. Shame I'm stacking physical resistance at the moment.

Has anyone heard about any of the following changes? These are just things I would like to see changed.

- more filters on the AH i.e. 4-5 different stats instead of limit of 3
    - ability to change the auction times (48 hours suck if no one wants to buy an item)
    - remove the limit of 10 AH items at a time (I find more items to sell than my stash has space!)

01:38pm 26/06/12 Permalink
    dais
    Brisbane, Queensland
    9415 posts
    Those are all good suggestions, 10 auctions is nowhere near enough.
    01:47pm 26/06/12 Permalink
    Khel
    Brisbane, Queensland
    19433 posts
    I like the 10 auction limit, it stops people from listing every single piece of crap they find. I mean, theres already tonnes of useless crap on the AH, imagine how much more there would be if there was no limit.

Being able to change the listing time would be nice though, I'd much rather list for 24 hours and relist it if it didn't sell (and I wanted to keep trying).
    01:56pm 26/06/12 Permalink
    parabol
    Brisbane, Queensland
    7111 posts
    I like the 10 auction limit, it stops people from listing every single piece of crap they find.

I don't really see a problem. When I used the AH, I used the filter 99% of the time to show only items with the minimum stats I was after - so junk never entered into the picture.
    02:20pm 26/06/12 Permalink
    csirac
    Brisbane, Queensland
    2698 posts
    Yeah I'm kinda stuck in act 1 hardcore since I only have around 450 all resist so I've been running rumford and collecting tomes to upgrade my gems... Not enough ppl play hc so the ah is empty

whhhhat. there is plenty of econ to gear up for act1 inferno esp if you have a few mill in gold.
    04:00pm 26/06/12 Permalink
    Reverend Evil™
    Wynnum, Queensland
    20606 posts
    Funny video if Blizzard made SNES games

05:00pm 26/06/12 Permalink
    DM
    Gold Coast, Queensland
    4782 posts
    it's better if you just mute the sound and play a Mario Bros 2 song over the top. His voice over is so bad.
    05:04pm 26/06/12 Permalink
    dais
    Brisbane, Queensland
    9417 posts
    Those videos sucked hard Rev.
    05:17pm 26/06/12 Permalink
    Raven
    Melbourne, Victoria
    7112 posts
    Someone tell that douche that Blizzard did make SNES games. Lost Vikings, Rock n Roll Racing, helllooooo.
    05:59pm 26/06/12 Permalink
    Superform
    Netherlands
    7445 posts
    On hc eu there just isn't enough ppl farming act 2+ to keep up with demand
    06:50pm 26/06/12 Permalink
    csirac
    Brisbane, Queensland
    2699 posts
    Oh eu. No idea. Hc on us is pretty healthy. Def a slight inflation since 1.03 and a whole lot more people playing as well. Its a good time to level a new char on the us hc server.
    07:10pm 26/06/12 Permalink
    existence
    Brisbane, Queensland
    7392 posts
    d3 is aids, i quit. if i could sell my char i would. f***en aids i tell ya
    08:44pm 26/06/12 Permalink
    Superform
    Netherlands
    7447 posts
    just had an epic act 1 session with butcher down..

butcher now on farm...

act 2 bring it
    01:56am 27/06/12 Permalink
    skythra
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5662 posts
    Latest patch causes some of the 'flying' enemies from act 3 to become invisible until they attack, then even then you can't attack them back. Moving to the beginning of the map didn't make it go away. wtf.
    03:34am 27/06/12 Permalink
    Scooter
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5942 posts
    I'm kinda at the point where I can farm Butcher. Butcher himself is easy, even with 1/2 my gold find gear on (had to flee to the door due to f***** Champion pack) however, as mentioned, I'm still having trouble with some Packs...

Vortex and FireChain + Moltenseem to be the really bad ones. Add waller to anything, even 'weak' packs, in the tight corridors, and I get f***ed pretty quickly as well.

Might come home to a new shield, which should help (26% Block, 9% Life and 1.2k Def) and I have enough money to get a 600+ life on hit amulet... well one of the cheap ones, with little frills... at the cheapest I've seen them. So I'll have to check/camp auctions in between farming.

After I get the Amulet I'm going to try do content in act 2 rather then farm Act 1. I tried Act 2 previously and just got spanked by any eliets. Bee's wern't as much trouble as I thought they would be though, they went down pretty easy.
    08:04am 27/06/12 Permalink
    Jim
    UK
    12951 posts
    elites in act2 are still a massive wall compared to act1, at least for a soloing wizard in s***** gear
    I go from melting face in act1 to kiting for miles in act2
    08:29am 27/06/12 Permalink
    scuzzy
    Brisbane, Queensland
    15414 posts
    I'm kinda at the point where I can farm Butcher.
    I played him the other night, you can still stand in the bottom right corner and not get hit with the flames.
    08:56am 27/06/12 Permalink
    Scooter
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5946 posts
    Yeah, Butcher isn't the problem, getting to him through packs sometimes is.
    09:03am 27/06/12 Permalink
    IVY_MiKe
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
    1096 posts
    Just finished reading your issue (and reddit bsns) Hoggy, tough break!
    (and MAN some of that reddit content was tedious to read as a 3rd party...)

I'd think it worthwhile asking (in a calm, fatherly manner) for Blizz to re-consider it, but yeah, if you've taken that path, and 'no' was the answer... 'Blizzard 1, Hogfather 0' I'm afraid.

I'd like to offer you some gear/cash to get started again (it's not a pity thing, more a 'get back up to running speed' thing) but yeah, that building of your character is realistically a large part of the game :\

Funny that a game so many people were begging for ultimately lead them to stop liking blizzard...

Blizzard is NOT the company it was pre-wow.

And the one thing VERY evident in the two franchises of theirs I play, is that their dev teams are verrrry different.
    I f***** enjoyed the pixels out of Star Craft 2's SP game, and am looking forward to HotS (am even willing to pay for a 'full game' given it has the same amount of content that WoL had in its SP game) but Diablo 3 isn't likely to last anywhere near as long as I thought it should.

The 'content' within the game seems waaaay too short lived. I'll admit the game has been well engineered to make the replay experience reasonable, but I think that's a bit of a cop out.
    Add to it the whole 'maintenance' routine for a 'pseudo-MMO' and game crippling lag; my patience to play it has worn VERY thin.

Gaming in the past 12 months has forced me to re-evaluate how I go about playing games. I'd racked up nearly 30 hours of BF3 within 7 days of launch (whilst working 40+ hours that week, and no Khel, that wasn't racking up hours @ work :P (if it was you (might have been Nerfy) with the cool boss etc).
    That made me step back for a minute and try to identify why 'being competitive' in something ultimately with an 'off switch' really mattered to me. (that is to say... racking up so many hours in a game that someone else 'holds the keys to'... what do you think WOW users will do when Blizz finally put it to death.)

I like gaming, I like online gaming, but ultimately it winds up being a frustrating experience I (in my case) have been really burning myself to maintain and, in reality, nothing to show for it.

It's not that I don't like some of the mainstream games out there... but after racking up an obscene number of hours in Diablo 2, I ultimately stopped playing RPG's (let alone 'ARPG's) because the 'time vs enjoyment' comparison was stacking well into the 'time' and not at all into the enjoyment (it's not that I hate playing games, its more that in retrospect, I go into a trance, and mechanically smash my way through 10 hours of gaming in a single sesh, and looking back it's not all 'fun'.)

In other news, there are more and more indy games that really provide a satisfying experience, without the time sinkhole that mainstream gaming seemingly asks for (seriously... 'grinding' game mechanics need to f*** off and die a horrible death!).
    I'll still subscribe to some of mainstream gamings offerings, but I think it might actually be me 'growing out of gaming'.

(that last sentence may not read very dramatically, but for a ~30 year old who's been playing [video] games for a quarter of a century, it represents a good portion of what I identify with.)

EDIT: on a less serious note... Raven, have you never played BlackThorne?!? that was an AWESOME adult platformer!
    09:17am 27/06/12 Permalink
    paveway
    Brisbane, Queensland
    16909 posts
    diablo 2 was as much of a grind as any

you couldn't walk through hell difficulty first time through like you can in diablo 3

is it that low character the level ceiling that is what does your head in, in diablo 2 level 99 was the highest level you could get to and f*** me i think i got a character to level 97 and the amount of exp to get to level 99 was soul draining

all they have really done is take the grinding part out of the game and stack it all onto the end of the game. so anyone who want to play through the game from normal to hell can and any of us neckbeard types can bash our heads against the wall grinding to try and get inferno
    12:46pm 27/06/12 Permalink
    Raven
    Melbourne, Victoria
    7118 posts
    I'd racked up nearly 30 hours of BF3 within 7 days of launch (whilst working 40+ hours that week, and no Khel, that wasn't racking up hours @ work :P (if it was you (might have been Nerfy) with the cool boss etc).

You missed a right parenthesis.
    I am therefore reading the rest of your comment as though it was background information. Consequently, paveway, you're a footnote too.

Also:
    )

:P
    01:04pm 27/06/12 Permalink
    Fade2Black
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5065 posts
    Pave: From memory the experience required to go from 98 to 99 was equivalent to the experience required to go from 1 to 98 (i.e. double).

I got a character to 88 or so I think and said faaark this.
    01:07pm 27/06/12 Permalink
    csirac
    Brisbane, Queensland
    2700 posts
    AND THEN you die and lose 10% xp and cry rivers of bloooooood!

10% durability? lol whatever. lose 1 week worth of xp!
    02:43pm 27/06/12 Permalink
    Raven
    Melbourne, Victoria
    7122 posts
    Losing XP IMO is a pretty good system. Especially if you get your ass handed to you by a lower level mob.
    03:54pm 27/06/12 Permalink
    DM
    Gold Coast, Queensland
    4787 posts
    AND THEN you die and lose 10% xp and cry rivers of bloooooood!

You never played FF11 I take it. That game was brutal for failure. Not only did you lose exp when you died, you could DELEVEL if you lost enough. Even though that game was so anti-single player it's the most fun i've had in an mmo. Best game to learn party tactics from imo.

I actually a group of players I was with found a Lv 75 botter killing 35ish level mobs, so we trained a long line of monsters onto him and kept ressing him over and over (since there was no accept button, you just got back up) and he would die in 1 or 2 hits. We made him drop 3 levels before I bailed.

last edited by DM at 16:01:43 27/Jun/12
    03:59pm 27/06/12 Permalink
    DM
    Gold Coast, Queensland
    4788 posts
    So after a long period of nothing, I decide to boot up D3 and give it another go, see how things go. I've spent the past 25 minutes trying to patch and/or load the and getting nothing but freezes, non stop "updating tools" problems, you must install the game errors and even a please disable your anti-virus message. I give up. F*** you blizzard and your s***** arse patching that can't work without massive issues.
    05:26pm 27/06/12 Permalink
    Khel
    Brisbane, Queensland
    19445 posts
    I've never had any of those problems, maybe you should disable your anti-virus software?
    05:30pm 27/06/12 Permalink
    DM
    Gold Coast, Queensland
    4789 posts
    I did. Now it hangs when I boot the game up at a black screen. I'll just go back to Tales of Graces f instead.
    05:36pm 27/06/12 Permalink
    TicMan
    Melbourne, Victoria
    8070 posts
    Eve death is fairly well up on the brutalness. First off you lose your ship and everything contained within, if you had implants then they are also gone too. Next up is if you didn't have a clone or the correct level clone you loose skill points.

That's probably why every time I engaged in a fight it was the most nervous few minutes of the game!
    11:03pm 27/06/12 Permalink
    Raven
    Melbourne, Victoria
    7128 posts
    Eve's problem is it basically doesn't have a level cap. To do anything decent in it now, you need to have been playing since the dawn of the game.

My brother basically paid for his holiday to Vanuatu by selling a single Eve character a few years back.
    09:32am 28/06/12 Permalink
    skythra
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5668 posts
    You never played FF11 I take it.

From history, and relevancy, D2 is far more correct to compare d3 to. D3 seems hard, but getting to 99 was impossible for most people because a slight mistake undid more than you achieved.

This isn't a pissing contest of what was worse, it's just a comparison of change.
    01:04pm 28/06/12 Permalink
    Nathan
    Brisbane, Queensland
    4051 posts
    Item droprates have been hotfixed:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6214196

- ilvl 61-63 droprate has been increased (blog article has the new percentages)
    - bosses now guaranteed to drop 2 rares with 5-stack NV
    05:29pm 29/06/12 Permalink
    Raider
    Brisbane, Queensland
    3910 posts
    D2 also seemed to have more replayability, i'm finding D3 really really boring atm.. especially with the massive lag spikes death which cause 4k+ per death
    07:16pm 29/06/12 Permalink
    do0b
    Brisbane, Queensland
    4376 posts
    thought i'd chime in, people having issues launching after patch... try killing the agent.exe *32 process. Seems to be the golden fix for me.
    09:10pm 29/06/12 Permalink
    dais
    Brisbane, Queensland
    9461 posts
    Yeah lag is still f***ed.
    10:01pm 29/06/12 Permalink
    skythra
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5686 posts
    Level 48 item i just found.
    http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg195/skythra/holylevel48batman.jpg

The dumb thing is this won't sell because it'll never show up in a search for a level 48 item.
    12:52am 01/07/12 Permalink
    Jim
    UK
    12959 posts
    cos it's not a level 48 item
    anyone with a clue looking for twink gear selects the reduced level attribute cos it's going to be way more important than any other stat
    02:42am 01/07/12 Permalink
    Scooter
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5952 posts
    That and the fact that anyone that is searcing for gear (on character) only sees items they can equip.
    So if a level 48-59 character searches it will be at, or near, the top of the list for them. When they ding 60, then the will see all the other lv60 gear they can equip.

I can breeze through Act 1 now, face-tank most packs... except Arcane... f*****s.

I can just barely down Packs in Act 2, but it takes a long time and often involves a few deaths first. Found a 904 DPS weapon, but it's a 2-hander, so I'll see how it sells. Hopefully give me enough to buy a LoH Amulet and Ring which should make Act 2 easier. The AH needs more then 3 filters though, when specing some gear for monk I want to be able to filter at least 4 but realisticly probably 5 stats...
    08:01am 02/07/12 Permalink
    skythra
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5688 posts
    Hey scooter, is that true? I don't remember seeing any equipment on my searches with lower level requirements at all before hitting 60 unless i SPECIFICALLY added that in my search. Even though that equipment was up to 600dps more than what i had equiped. I have two 60's and 2 mid 30's characters, though the 30's are too low so i can't really test..
    08:15am 02/07/12 Permalink
    Scooter
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5953 posts
    I'm positive my DH had a Reduced Level Req Bow show up and not any that were above a level I could equip. Can't imagine why it wouldn't work for the staff as well. If you list it I can check tonight with my DH.

Keep in mind though while it is a good weapon, Solid DPS and a Socket to boot. Amazing weapon for 48-59 but people don't really need the best gear to get to 60... and most will want better gear when they reach 60. So I don't think it will sell for all that much reguardless. That and it's a 2-hander, from what I can tell most people seem to prefer Sword + Board...
    09:16am 02/07/12 Permalink
    Morax
    Brisbane, Queensland
    2292 posts
    Reduced level requirements stuff does NOT show up in a search for lower levels unless you specifically enter it as an affix. That doesn't mean it won't be found though; most people who already have a high level char will search for that for any new characters they're making.
    09:59am 02/07/12 Permalink
    skythra
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5695 posts
    Reduced level requirements stuff does NOT show up in a search for lower levels unless you specifically enter it as an affix. That doesn't mean it won't be found though; most people who already have a high level char will search for that for any new characters they're making.

Yeah just means that the total market is smaller, like scooter said, it's not an expensive weapon so it's not priced out of the range of first time players who have just hit 48.

It was listed cheaper than a similarly DPS'ed weapon of it's level, and it took 30 hours to sell @ 200 000g. My DH made more than 200 000g in about 10 levels between 20-30, of which i spent maybe 30 000 gearing him to the teeth.

There is no challenge anymore to gearing your lowbies, every 5-10 levels worth replacing everything and still earning a lot more than you spend.
    12:47am 03/07/12 Permalink
    deeper
    Brisbane, Queensland
    4075 posts
    My 749 dps 1hand crossbow that had 17 Reduced Levels (level 43 required) sold for 1.5 million. I thought that was a fair price for something that would be so totally awesome to level with. Whoever bought it is going to power so fast from 43-60.
    08:21am 03/07/12 Permalink
    Eorl
    Brisbane, Queensland
    7044 posts
    People are "apparently" getting banned for using WINE on their Linux system to play Diablo 3

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5978861022
    01:33pm 03/07/12 Permalink
    skythra
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5702 posts
    Jesus this is a repeat of WoW all over again. Blizzard don't learn s***.

http://slashdot.org/story/06/11/15/1652222/linux-users-banned-from-world-of-warcraft
    06:41pm 03/07/12 Permalink
    Dodgymon
    Brisbane, Queensland
    2124 posts
    For those still actually playing it looks like d3 is about to get another nerf in the magic find department targeting people who swap gear with MF gear towards the end of a boss.
    I personally do it more so in the last week since I downed diablo on inferno on the weekend, there really isn't much more to do except farm. I tend not to bother switching unless I am soloing.
    Keep in mind it is basically impossible to wear your MF gear 100% of the time in act 3 and 4.
    My stats geared - 42k dps (pre buffs)/29k hp/950 all resist
    My stats with MF gear - 32kdps /24khp/250 all resist.

I beleive it takes quite a bit of skill to switch gear considering the gear u switch to will make you get 1 shotted. Also doing this while kiting and trying to avoid being mortared/jailed/laser beamed/walled/vortexed or plain old raped can be quite difficult.

The past week however has been very fruitful in the items department and honestly has been the only reason I kept playing since completing it.
    Most of the farming I did though was goblin runs and I was wearing MF gear 100% of the time so a nerf may or may not effect me.

Either way it seems instead of trying to fix their broken game and make it more enjoyable (i.e. make the end game enjoyable).

At the moment I am afraid of trying different builds fearing it will get nerfed. For example I'd like to try a crit build but it's safe to say it will get nerfed shortly.

I read a stat tonight that said x-fire was reporting 25% of the original diablo 3 activity (logins). So it is fairly safe to say that the general feeling of diablo 3 is that it is an epic failure. Everyone even the haters want it to succeed but it is a case of "we will just have to wait 6 months for Blizzard to fix it before we will try it again".

My feeling toward this game is how I felt about Duke Nukem Forever however it has taken a little mroe time to work it out.

last edited by Dodgymon at 00:22:13 04/Jul/12
    12:16am 04/07/12 Permalink
    TicMan
    Melbourne, Victoria
    8085 posts
    Interesting stat and based off my own friends list, I'd probably agree that 3/4 of those friends haven't touched D3 for at least a fortnight when they were playing daily. Friends list is littered with "Last online 10+" days ago.
    08:00am 04/07/12 Permalink
    Raven
    Melbourne, Victoria
    7148 posts
    So now both my DH and Mage are at level 38, both just started or slightly in to Act 2 Nightmare.
    This is gonna take ages to get to 60 ;p

Desperately need Tomes of jewelcrafting, I have an inventory full of gems.
    08:11am 04/07/12 Permalink
    dais
    Brisbane, Queensland
    9504 posts
    Upgrading Shen seems to be a waste of money, as you can get gems on the AH for about the same amount as you can from him. Though it may be different for the high quality gems. I'm only using flawless squares.
    08:33am 04/07/12 Permalink
    do0b
    Brisbane, Queensland
    4379 posts
    yeah the price goes up a fair bit after square
    09:36am 04/07/12 Permalink
    Raven
    Melbourne, Victoria
    7150 posts
    Seems to be too big a step after square, and not enough of a step before that ... though I guess tomes are expensive.

IMO there really need to be more gem styles, a-la Diablo 1 :(
    It seems that somewhere between the beta and release, they got rid of Diamond and Sapphire. As a result there's no cold damage/resist, or mana regen (Skull).
    Surely Ruby should have been fire damage/fire resist? :(

Really not liking the D3 socketing system.

Also, WTF is with there being no cow level? Moo, ffs :(
    09:41am 04/07/12 Permalink
    dais
    Brisbane, Queensland
    9505 posts

http://www.diablowiki.net/Whimsyshire
    10:09am 04/07/12 Permalink
    Scooter
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5956 posts
    Squares drop pretty commonly in Inferno Act 1+2 as well., which a lot of people repeat farm.
    10:31am 04/07/12 Permalink
    Nathan
    Brisbane, Queensland
    4053 posts
    Due to wide availability, gems on the AH are pretty close to the combining costs. Only the best two types require plans to make, and even those do not have a great ROI. Makes sense economically since just about anyone can do it.
    10:54am 04/07/12 Permalink
    Dodgymon
    Brisbane, Queensland
    2125 posts
    1 of the awesome things drop for me was a plan for jewelcrafting for a perfect square emerald. At best I could have only made around 50000 gold per gem so it wasn't really worth keeping so I sold it for 2.5m
    11:07am 04/07/12 Permalink
    Dodgymon
    Brisbane, Queensland
    2126 posts
    Also in a shock move it seems Blizzard are actually putting it out there in the community instead of forcing their rules upon us about the magic find issue.
    They have posted 5 possible solutions on their website.

battlenet sauce

Personally I think a magic find cap set at %150-2oo% is the best way to tackle this and in fact I always assumed there was a 200% cap in place.
    11:11am 04/07/12 Permalink
    Nathan
    Brisbane, Queensland
    4054 posts
    Its not listed on there thing, since its probably hard to implement, but I think the best solution would be for the MF to be recorded vs damage dealt to the mob. so if you do 95% damage while with 75% MF and the final 5% with 250% MF; then you would get effective magic find of .95 x 75% + .05 x 250% giving 83% MF for that kill.
    11:17am 04/07/12 Permalink
    Du4No
    Sydney, New South Wales
    1 posts
    Reason: Advertising
    12:03pm 04/07/12 Permalink
    skythra
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5712 posts
    Seems to be too big a step after square, and not enough of a step before that ... though I guess tomes are expensive.

It seems that somewhere between the beta and release, they got rid of Diamond and Sapphire. As a result there's no cold damage/resist, or mana regen (Skull).

Single resists only help 1 class, an area won't have frost mobs, they'll have mobs with 4 attacks, of which they could be 4 different damage types and cannot be only 1. The only class which benefits from a single resist is monk. There's no reason to build just one resist.

There is mana regen on some items, your mana isn't based on int in this game, so even at level 60 your skills don't require millions of mana's. In fact for my WD his mana spend is just a tiny bit less than mana regen by natural regen, so if i stacked a little bit of mana regen, then i'd be above 0 regen in combat. But with kiting i regen anyway so it's never bothered me.

Because the game ends at 60, no more levels, you don't have that multiplier to factor in. At 60, you have squaregems and a bunch more. Before 60 you don't. At 60 you have items too, which are about 3-10x beter than level 59 gear. The above square gems are similar to that, they just increase at a much faster rate than the pre-60 gems because the game isn't linear.

Also flawless squares are free, i've got more than 10 of each (30+ of some) spare in my bank, and because its a couple thousand gold to remove them i usually don't bother if im replacing gear, even if the gear gets vendored.
    12:07pm 04/07/12 Permalink
    paveway
    Brisbane, Queensland
    16935 posts

maybe you should either get over it or go and play diablo 2

there is a new level in place of the cow level, fyi
    12:14pm 04/07/12 Permalink
    skythra
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5713 posts
    Also in a shock move it seems Blizzard are actually putting it out there in the community instead of forcing their rules upon us about the magic find issue.
    They have posted 5 possible solutions on their website..

Here's one, drop MF as a stat entirely. There's a 'hidden' mf stat. That's magic items per minute. MF allows more magic items per mob, but if you just kill more mobs in the same time, you find more magic items.
    12:38pm 04/07/12 Permalink
    Raven
    Melbourne, Victoria
    7153 posts
    paveway, I cry myself to sleep over that one. Really, I do. As a person who only finds about one hour every three or so days to play D3, it really hurts deeply that they made that game design decision :(
    12:57pm 04/07/12 Permalink
    skythra
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5717 posts
    I believe, if you only put in one hour every few days into d2, you wouldn't be very happy with the system either...
    01:26pm 04/07/12 Permalink
    Raven
    Melbourne, Victoria
    7154 posts
    I believe, regardless of what I do, I won't be happy. 24 hour days just suck. Not enough time for sleep, not enough time to have a life. 8 hours work + 3 hours travel + 8 hours sleep doesn't leave much time left.
    01:48pm 04/07/12 Permalink
    Nathan
    Brisbane, Queensland
    4055 posts
    i usually don't bother if im replacing gear, even if the gear gets vendored.
    FWIW if you salvage an item with socketed gem/s , you get the gem/s back.
    05:13pm 04/07/12 Permalink
    dais
    Brisbane, Queensland
    9575 posts
    11:53am 11/07/12 Permalink
    Jim
    UK
    12961 posts
    haha so true
    11:59am 11/07/12 Permalink
    paveway
    Brisbane, Queensland
    16956 posts
    haha loved the act 3 bit, i really hated how the azmodan just keeps telling you exactly what he is about to do, it is the most retarded thing ever and made no sense
    12:23pm 11/07/12 Permalink
    dais
    Brisbane, Queensland
    9576 posts
    They should have had a bit in Act I with Leah going on and on about Uncle Deckard, like in the game. Every time she says anything she mentions him.

"Take one last look at your beloved High Heavens Imperious. I'm going to destroy them just like Uncle Deckard said I would."
    12:43pm 11/07/12 Permalink
    Jim
    UK
    12962 posts
    should've done a bit about the sidekick, who follows you around through thick and thin through dungeon after dungeon, fight after fight - only to give up at the very end and tell you to go on without them, just cos of a pissy bone cage

"oh no I've been trapped, best go on without me"

01:19pm 11/07/12 Permalink
    Damo
    Brisbane, Queensland
    6172 posts
    Haven't played D3 is almost 3 weeks.. Not sure if i'm missing much... ha
    01:29pm 11/07/12 Permalink
    shrapse
    Brisbane, Queensland
    3780 posts
    Such a shame that this game is so bad :(
    03:58pm 11/07/12 Permalink
    dais
    Brisbane, Queensland
    9579 posts
    It's not really bad, I still find it enjoyable. But it certainly didn't live up to the hype or its predecessors.
    04:14pm 11/07/12 Permalink
    Superform
    Netherlands
    7458 posts
    its not a bad game.. its just not for everyone
    04:15pm 11/07/12 Permalink
    shrapse
    Brisbane, Queensland
    3781 posts
    its just not for everyone

ie. the people who played and enjoyed the s*** out of Diablo 1 & 2
    04:26pm 11/07/12 Permalink
    Scooter
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5971 posts
    There's only so many times you can build 5 NV and kill Kulle before it becomes a little repetitive... and I thought Butcher runs were boring...

Someone Kill Inferno Beliel for me, I can get him to like 5-10% but then he goes crazy with Poison/Fireball rain which can one shot me and seems to cover everywhere... The Non-Rage ones only hit me for ~80% HP and 99% of the time can be avoided.
    Spent about ~100k on repairs because of deaths to him so far...
    04:32pm 11/07/12 Permalink
    Superform
    Netherlands
    7459 posts
    play hardcore.. repair costs become a non issue.. and the game begins to become challenging
    04:34pm 11/07/12 Permalink
    skythra
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5768 posts
    There's only so many times you can build 5 NV and kill Kulle before it becomes a little repetitive... and I thought Butcher runs were boring...Someone Kill Inferno Beliel for me, I can get him to like 5-10% but then he goes crazy with Poison/Fireball rain which can one shot me and seems to cover everywhere... The Non-Rage ones only hit me for ~80% HP and 99% of the time can be avoided.Spent about ~100k on repairs because of deaths to him so far...

He's not that hard, you just have to do enough dps early, he hits an enrage point if you take too long. There is no poison. The green is just a way to tell you where the next hit is coming.
    05:06pm 11/07/12 Permalink
    Scooter
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5972 posts
    The (Green) Fireball rain is what I call 'poison rain', and I know green on the ground it's just an indicator for where they land, but in rage mode it pretty much covers the entire ground and One-shots me...

I have a ~930 DPS weapon, but I need to buy some better (DEX) gear for other slots, that I cant afford at the moment... so it looks like Kulle it is for now...

I can take out Packs fairly easy, most of the time, and Kulle is a piss ant... I'm think I would be able to progress in Act III, just I cant seem to off Beliel before rage... maybe I need to drop some VIT for more DEX, but I like having ~35k HP...

Kinda want to beat Inferno Superform.
    05:18pm 11/07/12 Permalink
    skythra
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5770 posts
    You shouldn't hit rage mode, you should kill him shortly after the third set of rain. If he enrages, it's all over. That's the wipe enrage unless you're a monk :P

Although i'm sure with enough gear you can beat an enraged belial :P
    05:27pm 11/07/12 Permalink
    Scooter
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5973 posts
    I am a monk :/ I can survive the first set of Firball spam, but Sanct doesn't recharge in time to finish off that last little bit...
    I should (apparently) have a lot more Dex then I currently do though...
    05:35pm 11/07/12 Permalink
    reload!
    Brisbane, Queensland
    6899 posts
    D3 was so bad it made hoggy quit the internets
    05:42pm 11/07/12 Permalink
    paveway
    Brisbane, Queensland
    16959 posts
    it really isnt that bad

most of the people saying it is so bad are the types you usually see on here generally pissing on about how s*** everything is anyway
    06:00pm 11/07/12 Permalink
    skythra
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5773 posts
    I think D3 is too small. I've put in a lot of time though, but i have had lots of free time during and after work to play it but i just haven't bothered because I don't want to. Which is kind of dumb because i just made my witch doctor even better, he's now 31k hp with 25k dps (unbuffed) and 450+ resists to all.. I was thinking act3 shouldn't be too hard with him.

But instead of being encouraged to play, i feel discouraged.

Probably burnt out though. I've already gone over 255 hours of playtime so.. I probably just made my point moot. If i play any full price game for more than 50 hours i consider it a successful purchase.

Edit: should mention that that's still with 85% magic find. Not huge, but a good bonus pre stacks.
    06:08pm 11/07/12 Permalink
    Superform
    Netherlands
    7460 posts
    If u play hc u will learn a lot about equipment.. we have guides on where u should be stats wise for each lvl..the problem with sc is you can just death spam ur way through..

In hc u should have 700-800 all resist 12-15k dps 7-8000 armor for act 2 I bet ur nowhere near that
    06:10pm 11/07/12 Permalink
    skythra
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5774 posts
    Super, who's we?
    06:12pm 11/07/12 Permalink
    Superform
    Netherlands
    7461 posts
    The hc community
    06:15pm 11/07/12 Permalink
    skythra
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5775 posts
    So just the blizzard forums?
    06:20pm 11/07/12 Permalink
    paveway
    Brisbane, Queensland
    16960 posts
    try to login

tells me there is a new patch. closes game

says game is up to date

repeat
    07:32pm 11/07/12 Permalink
    Dodgymon
    Brisbane, Queensland
    2128 posts
    Scooter add me if u want a hand. I'll help you down that hoe. Also if you think Belial is bad you wait until you get up to Ghom.
    11:29pm 11/07/12 Permalink
    Jim
    UK
    12963 posts
    ghom will be a faceroll for him though, like it is for barbs
    like everything is for barbs
    11:56pm 11/07/12 Permalink
    Khel
    Brisbane, Queensland
    19529 posts
    I got up to Act 2 Inferno, and I just couldn't be bothered farming the same s*** over and over for the gear or money I'd need to progress any furthur. Farming is pretty much guaranteed to suck the fun out of any game for me.

But like Skythra was saying, I've got like 180 hours played on it all up, thats pretty epic for any non-mmo game, so I've more than got my money's worth out of it, and it was fun while it lasted. I'll probably come back to it a bit furthur down the line and try some other classes, but I'm a bit over it for the moment, need to play other stuff to cleanse the gaming palate.
    12:01am 12/07/12 Permalink
    Infidel
    Netherlands
    3916 posts
    I've got my monies worth definitely due to that retarded auction house haha, made some good cashola out of that one
    12:03am 12/07/12 Permalink
    csirac
    Brisbane, Queensland
    2703 posts
    So just the blizzard forums?

He's right. My Wd died the other night in act2 inferno due to a double elite pack and a timely lag spike...I'm still gutted

Had such crazy gear. 65k hp 5k armour 900 all resist and 12k dps. F*****g lag spike.

Running into act 2 with anything lower than 600 all resist and 45k hp will just be a repair bill. Just people in sc don't appreciate other stats besides dps and all resist (and they only care about all resists because it's expensive) and then complain they got 1 hit and that they can't even kite.

People might say that's reducing your freedom and dictating how a game is played but if you're 80+ hours into a character and the only stat that has actually stayed the same or in some cases gone down is vitality and armour. You're doing it wrong.
    01:49am 12/07/12 Permalink
    Superform
    Netherlands
    7462 posts
    check out the hardcore forums and ask if your ready for act 2 inferno and list your stats..

i bet they wonder how you got through act 1...

also csirac it looks like your armour was a bit low and your all resist was a bit high..

you should try and keep your armour/res at a 10/1 ratio for optimal effectiveness - 900 is a good number - but then you should have had 9000 armour (buffed or otherwise) 5k sounds a bit low..

personally i'm aiming for 8k/800 for act 2

currently i'm at around 650/6000 self buffed with he right party i get to nearly 1k/13k (skill change as well)

also its good to travel in a good party since they can save your life when you d/c which happened to me yesterday

apparently i was on 5k hp when the game booted me

last edited by Superform at 02:40:19 12/Jul/12
    02:33am 12/07/12 Permalink
    Reverend Evil™
    Wynnum, Queensland
    20700 posts
    I wouldn't say it's a bad game. It's just boring. It was fun going thru it once but I couldn't be f***ed doing it again. I guess if you can stay away from both AH's it might be alright. Once you start buying stuff from the AH it really kills the game.
    04:04am 12/07/12 Permalink
    Scooter
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5974 posts
    So does s*** drop better in HardCore, or are you spending 99% of your playing time farming?
    Because, the latter sounds like s***.
    07:13am 12/07/12 Permalink
    paveway
    Brisbane, Queensland
    16961 posts
    I wouldn't say it's a bad game. It's just boring. It was fun going thru it once but I couldn't be f***ed doing it again

lol wow player says the grind is boring

not sure if serious
    07:28am 12/07/12 Permalink
    csirac
    Brisbane, Queensland
    2704 posts
    I can't see how a Wd could get such high ac. Most of my items already had + armour. Maybe an extra 1k with more optimal shield but no more really.

Was playing with a barb friend. Same thing would have happened with a group of 4. If you're doing progression and you double pull elites, you run. The lag spike was just s*** coz it rubber banded me 2 screens back :(
    09:16am 12/07/12 Permalink
    Superform
    Netherlands
    7471 posts
    last night killed beliel on inferno hardcore.. pew pew..

if you havnt tried hard core it feels like a completely different game

barb monk wiz wd
    11:15pm 19/07/12 Permalink
    Dodgymon
    Brisbane, Queensland
    2131 posts
    While I have finished softc*** mode I just can't bring my self to get into HC toon because of the lag.
    12:16am 20/07/12 Permalink
    Jim
    UK
    12976 posts
    noone seems to be playing this anymore, can't say I blame them
    I'm pretty bored of it and that's saying something

d2 you could fire it up and actually have a decent chance at getting some nice loot. this, you can do days and days of clearing all the elites in act3/4 and get nothing but utterly useless junk
    03:10am 20/07/12 Permalink
    Thundercracker
    Brisbane, Queensland
    3225 posts
    I barely made it into act 2 (inferno) before I got bored. I just find running around killing elites gets old quick, with no real sense of progression past that point.

I'll probably spend some time playing through other classes, but inferno grinding is not for me.

Having said that I have got some very decent playtime out of this game considering the price tag.
    08:49am 20/07/12 Permalink
    Raven
    Melbourne, Victoria
    7198 posts
    I played another hour of this the other night before saying "what am I getting out of this? This is boring".
    Act 3 Nightmare is just tiptoe in, anger 60 evil mother f*****s, run like a b**** and kite for 5 minutes. Repeat, rinse.

It might not be so bad if Nightmare/Hell/Inferno weren't just exactly the same content but with damage and armour multipliers.
    09:04am 20/07/12 Permalink
    Jim
    UK
    12978 posts
    you're doing it wrong if you need to kite in nightmare
    09:46am 20/07/12 Permalink
    parabol
    Brisbane, Queensland
    7148 posts
    I played another hour of this the other night before saying "what am I getting out of this? This is boring".

This is why I uninstalled the game last month after a painful first run through the game.

Completely pointless and mind-numbing gameplay.
    10:23am 20/07/12 Permalink
    Raven
    Melbourne, Victoria
    7200 posts
    Jim, glass cannon.
    10:29am 20/07/12 Permalink
    Jim
    UK
    12979 posts
    even my hardcore wizard uses glass cannon - unless you're not upgrading your gear, there's nothing you need to kite until inferno except for phase beasts in hell.

sure, the game is horribly boring and repeating the same content is super lame, but it doesn't have to be anywhere near that slow and drawn out pre-inferno
    10:46am 20/07/12 Permalink
    Mordecai
    Victoria
    1398 posts
    Playing a wizard? want to be a god? You can be! Follow these simple steps and be invincible. ..

Read this article and laughed.
    http://kotaku.com/5928139/god-mode-exploit-found-in-diablo-iii-makes-players-invincible

“God Mode” Exploit Found in Diablo III, Makes Players Invincible
    Luke Plunkett

A loophole has reportedly been found in Diablo III that can, in effect, make you invincible. Which for a game that has a real-money auction house attached to it could be a bit of a problem.

While it only works for the Wizard class, there's apparently no restriction on which game mode (normal or harder) you use. The exploit renders a few effects inactive, but on the flipside, well, you'll be invulnerable.

A poster on the Blizzard forums says to active the exploit, you need to do the following:

Step 1: Select Teleport - Fracture. Bind it to a key
    Step 2: Select Archon, tested with Improved Archon
    Step 3: Hover your mouse over or near your charcter
    Step 4: Press Teleport
    Step 5: QUICKLY(!) Press Archon

Note that, given the consequences of letting people run around without fear of dying while picking up items they can sell for actual money, Blizzard will likely be working super fast to get this fixed.
    06:55am 24/07/12 Permalink
    Jim
    UK
    12985 posts
    I video'd this last night
    08:11am 24/07/12 Permalink
    blahnana
    Brisbane, Queensland
    604 posts
    What else did you video last night?
    10:07am 24/07/12 Permalink
    Jim
    UK
    12989 posts
    11:51am 24/07/12 Permalink
    Dodgymon
    Brisbane, Queensland
    2134 posts
    hey jim does this still work for you cause I gave it a go but it seems like they have patched it.
    01:39pm 24/07/12 Permalink
    Jim
    UK
    12990 posts
    yeh it's working right now
    01:47pm 24/07/12 Permalink
    paveway
    Brisbane, Queensland
    16990 posts
    yeah i'm done with the grind, i don't play wow or any other mmo because the grind like this doesn't interest me.

I don't a bit of grind but as jim said, you can put in hours upon hours and get no where.

I'm back to bf3 and dark souls

last edited by paveway at 14:02:06 24/Jul/12
    01:59pm 24/07/12 Permalink
    Space Ninja
    Sydney, New South Wales
    3541 posts
    I gave up on it because paveway gave up on it :(
    02:19pm 24/07/12 Permalink
    Jim
    UK
    12992 posts
    yeh it's working right now

just got a server restart message, so I guess they hadn't patched the one I'm on yet
    02:20pm 24/07/12 Permalink
    ravn0s
    Brisbane, Queensland
    15593 posts
    so have people started rumours that they were banned for using this bug yet?
    02:29pm 24/07/12 Permalink
    Superform
    Netherlands
    7473 posts
    lol you didnt even get a 5 stack before killing d
    12:48am 25/07/12 Permalink
    Jim
    UK
    12996 posts
    what's the point of 5 stacks if you're not picking up the loot!
    02:47am 25/07/12 Permalink
    Scooter
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5980 posts
    I was away for last week, still haven't killed Beliel yet.
    Don't know if I will now, I havent even had the urge to even log-in since I got back.

I would like to Kill Diablo on Inferno though, so I'll probably keep going back until that happens... eventually.
    07:14am 25/07/12 Permalink
    Outlaw
    Gold Coast, Queensland
    2107 posts
    d3 has an exploit a day. Two day's ago it was the invincible wizard and today its the stunlock/invincible barbarian. Its bull s***e! how long have people been using these exploits? oh well, I just downed Ghom inferno, under geared, no challenge.
    01:48pm 25/07/12 Permalink
    ravn0s
    Brisbane, Queensland
    15603 posts
    apparently the wizard exploit was ticketed over a week ago but blizzard didn't do anything about it until it went public.
    02:03pm 25/07/12 Permalink
    Jim
    UK
    12999 posts
    the game is all but over now anyway, auction house is kind of dead and prices are dropping fast
    02:14pm 25/07/12 Permalink
    Dodgymon
    Brisbane, Queensland
    2135 posts
    Except for the top 1% items are are still exorbitant prices but everything else is pretty much worthless.
    03:37pm 25/07/12 Permalink
    skythra
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5855 posts
    Which i called, so i feel good about myself and my pseudo-game-economics skills.

I haven't played for a couple of weeks, i don't miss it. Thanks to steam sales i've got my next couple hundred hours covered.
    03:40pm 25/07/12 Permalink
    dais
    Brisbane, Queensland
    9792 posts
    08:46pm 03/08/12 Permalink
    dais
    Brisbane, Queensland
    9810 posts
    Rubberbanding may be fixed: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6871751
    10:31am 04/08/12 Permalink
    Eorl
    Brisbane, Queensland
    7248 posts
    That will never happen, because the game is online and talks to a server over in the US, and so we will always get some form of latency that will affect our characters movement.
    11:24am 04/08/12 Permalink
    parabol
    Brisbane, Queensland
    7167 posts
    That will never happen, because the game is online and talks to a server over in the US, and so we will always get some form of latency

It's not about latency, it's about the perception of it (i.e. rubber-banding).

There's no reason they can't allow some deferral to the client rather than coarsely snapping the character back onto a path server-side every few seconds, especially if there were no obstacles/monsters in the way.
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6201370764

13 hours of downtime last Tuesday? That's almost 10% of downtime in a week. Sucks to still be playing this game if you still can't play it 1 out of 7 nights after work, etc.

last edited by parabol at 11:31:55 04/Aug/12
    11:30am 04/08/12 Permalink
    Damo
    Brisbane, Queensland
    6221 posts
    Just went in and played for 3mins. Died 5 times then quit. ha!
    12:22pm 04/08/12 Permalink
    casa
    Brisbane, Queensland
    4706 posts

Seriously, if you're not playing this game Hardcore then you're not playing it correctly. When I killed inferno diablo ages ago I was going to quit then and there as none of my mates wanted to play HC with me. Now that they're pretty much all over it, it's like a completely different game. Hardcore seriously rules and if you're afraid of dying then you're a complete PUSSEH.

Ref:
    12:47pm 04/08/12 Permalink
    shad
    Brisbane, Queensland
    3779 posts
    Anyone else with view all replies in one thread have this page only hit between ~1700 to ~1800 replies before stopping?
    12:49pm 04/08/12 Permalink
    Superform
    Netherlands
    7484 posts
    blizzard have kicked off a better system for looking at players gear..

here is mine on HC

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Superform-2589/hero/15216844
    04:29pm 07/08/12 Permalink
    dais
    Brisbane, Queensland
    9845 posts
    Geez that is heaps better.
    07:15pm 07/08/12 Permalink
    Python
    Sydney, New South Wales
    1591 posts
    07:03pm 09/08/12 Permalink
    do0b
    Brisbane, Queensland
    4397 posts
    been a few weeks... might fire it up

add me if anyone wants a game - Meatpopsicle#1743
    07:09pm 09/08/12 Permalink
    Dodgymon
    Brisbane, Queensland
    2140 posts
    I tried to post my profile by changing the battletag of your link superform but only to rediscover a toon I must have created during 1 of the updates.
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Dodgymon-1107/

last edited by Dodgymon at 21:47:25 09/Aug/12
    09:40pm 09/08/12 Permalink
    Khel
    Brisbane, Queensland
    19724 posts
    Hrmm, its not really anything like WoW
    09:47pm 09/08/12 Permalink
    Reverend Evil™
    Wynnum, Queensland
    20801 posts
    I don't get why Diablo fanboys are saying Diablo 3 is like WoW. It's nothing like it. WoW is actually fun to play and there's millions of places to explore. Diablo 3 is about as linear as you can get. And the WoW auction house is lightyears ahead of the Diablo one.
    11:47pm 09/08/12 Permalink
    Jim
    UK
    13036 posts
    most of the references I saw to that were in regard to some game mechanics which exist in wow such as soft and hard enrage timers - a couple of things like that may have 'bled' across into d3 a bit

but yeah saying it's like wow is obviously a very exaggerated call
    12:15am 10/08/12 Permalink
    csirac
    Brisbane, Queensland
    2716 posts
    I think he means that the "evilness" of WoW is what let D3 down. Seeing as WoW = Blizzard, or so its implying.
    12:18am 10/08/12 Permalink
    Python
    Sydney, New South Wales
    1593 posts
    10:31am 11/08/12 Permalink
    Dodgymon
    Brisbane, Queensland
    2141 posts
    Looks good.
    03:05pm 11/08/12 Permalink
    Seven
    Wollongong, New South Wales
    1507 posts
    Update looks promising. Might bring me back into it for a little bit :)
    03:44pm 11/08/12 Permalink
    dais
    Brisbane, Queensland
    9874 posts
    06:33pm 11/08/12 Permalink
    Agamemnon
    Brisbane, Queensland
    1069 posts
    any of u guys still playin d3?
    my friends list is lookin empty after so many ppl quit

add me

Grundfaust#1861
    02:33pm 14/08/12 Permalink
    Hogfather
    Cairns, Queensland
    12657 posts
    We’re removing Enrage Timers and the “heal back to full” behavior from Champion and Rare monster packs.

Might see me in d3 again aga :)
    03:12pm 14/08/12 Permalink
    Thundercracker
    Brisbane, Queensland
    3232 posts
    ^^ pretty much this

looks like the next patch they are taking their time with, and will hopefully deliver the goods
    03:54pm 14/08/12 Permalink
    Dodgymon
    Brisbane, Queensland
    2143 posts
    I am still playing only because it is my primary source of income.
    I am struggling to find the motivation to even finish my last 2 toons and farm pony's.

P.S. if anyone needs help on Inferno SC let me know Dodgymon#1107
    04:38pm 14/08/12 Permalink
    Khel
    Brisbane, Queensland
    19746 posts
    You might see me on Battlenet, but probably more because I've started playing WoW again :(

Also, it would be a shame if this thread doesn't reach 2000 posts, its so close!
    04:48pm 14/08/12 Permalink
    Superform
    Netherlands
    7493 posts
    i have been slowly lvling all 5 hc toon types to 60 waiting for this patch

then the farming will begin
    05:00pm 14/08/12 Permalink
    deeper
    Brisbane, Queensland
    4109 posts
    are yas really actually still playing this casa?

(ps: in before you say something about mw3 - i uninstalled it today - the cheats finally defeated my spirit for the fast paced counterstrike-style shooter qq)
    07:46pm 14/08/12 Permalink
    JakeG
    Thailand
    1109 posts
    Yeah good CS players pwn MW3 and I imagine BF3 CQ?
    02:29am 15/08/12 Permalink
    Python
    Sydney, New South Wales
    1594 posts
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6923457/

Legendary items improvements
    01:20pm 15/08/12 Permalink
    Raven
    Melbourne, Victoria
    7285 posts
    So, when was the last time people here played D3? :D
    02:18pm 15/08/12 Permalink
    defi
    Wynnum, Queensland
    2926 posts
    Must be 2 months since I played. Really got bored with the grind for minor upgrades.

Uniques being better will most likely bring me back for a little while, as I thought it was a major lacking in the game that D2 had.
    02:34pm 15/08/12 Permalink
    DM
    Gold Coast, Queensland
    4883 posts
    It's been... maybe about 2 months now for me I think. I can't even get it to boot up anymore so no f**** are given if my account info was stolen during that last hack.
    03:16pm 15/08/12 Permalink
    Jim
    UK
    13039 posts
    couple of weeks for me, other than selling stockpiled items on rmah
    03:24pm 15/08/12 Permalink
    shad
    Brisbane, Queensland
    3785 posts
    Still playing every so often. Good to get a bit of a gaming fix without having to put much effort in.
    06:10pm 15/08/12 Permalink
    Scooter
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5994 posts
    I logged in last week to see if I could buygear good enough to kill belial, but haven't logged back in to see if I won the Auctions (I doubt it.)
    Before that it was probably around month ago
    06:28pm 15/08/12 Permalink
    Mordecai
    Victoria
    1413 posts
    So, when was the last time people here played D3? :D

The other day. I am just trying to get one of each character type to finish the game on normal.
    06:44pm 15/08/12 Permalink
    Agamemnon
    Brisbane, Queensland
    1071 posts
    all of u that have quit... log in and give me ur stuffs! :P
    12:04am 16/08/12 Permalink
    Reverend Evil™
    Wynnum, Queensland
    20819 posts
    I've got a lvl 32 wizard and you're welcome to her stuff. Cleared the game on normal and I can't bring myself to play ever again. So boring.
    07:12am 16/08/12 Permalink
    Morax
    Brisbane, Queensland
    2297 posts
    The last month or so I've only been logging in from time to time to check the AH. Usually there's 0-3 friends online, and all are in menus.

Has anybody else noticed in the last 2 days that a lot of people are online again? I just had 8 friends online with 5 actually in game (OMGOS**). I'm assuming it's in anticipation to 1.0.4
    02:27pm 19/08/12 Permalink
    Raider
    Brisbane, Queensland
    3930 posts
    just occasionally to do some 3x whirlwind barb inferno act2 farming, nothing like pulling 6-8 elite packs and just aoe'n them down with barbs lol
    06:32pm 19/08/12 Permalink
    skythra
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5992 posts
    Next patch buffs my WD. But i'm not sure if i'm keen unless i'm LANing with friends
    06:45pm 19/08/12 Permalink
    fpot
    Gold Coast, Queensland
    21265 posts
    2000 :)
    09:03pm 19/08/12 Permalink
    Hogfather
    Cairns, Queensland
    12658 posts
    A Space Odyssey.
    10:03am 20/08/12 Permalink
    csirac
    Brisbane, Queensland
    2720 posts
    http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/yikph/diablo_3_game_director_to_diablo_12_project_lead/

pretty lol

tldr: creator of diablo speaks candidly about d3. jay wilson didnt like it so he said "f*** that loser" on facebook.

this is going to stick
    10:49pm 20/08/12 Permalink
    Viper119
    UK
    1651 posts
    That FB thread shows their lack of professionalism and class, how sad.

I didn't think anything in the creators interview was that critical, nor was any of it directed at anyone or any thing in particular.
    04:54am 21/08/12 Permalink
    Ozzy
    195 posts
    What do you guys think about the paragon system?

It might actually might draw me back into the game. patch 1.04 is looking better and better...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6968517/Introducing_the_Paragon_System-8_20_2012
    07:31am 21/08/12 Permalink
    DM
    Gold Coast, Queensland
    4901 posts
    11:32am 21/08/12 Permalink
    Dazhel
    Gold Coast, Queensland
    5154 posts
    Haha, is Jay Wilson mad because he disagrees with Brevik or is he mad because he knows that Brevik is right? :P
    11:49am 21/08/12 Permalink
    Raven
    Melbourne, Victoria
    7297 posts
    Tried to read and understand all that Paragon stuff... way to make a game confusing as hell. So how you have both Magic Find plus this Paragon level system? WTF.
    12:03pm 21/08/12 Permalink
    Khel
    Brisbane, Queensland
    19786 posts
    Looks to me like he was just trying to make the guy from his team feel better, cos the guy was all gutted after having read the article. You know how if a mate is upset cos a girl made him feel like s*** and you're all like "F*** that b****, who cares what she thinks". Its just he lacked the foresight to realise he was doing it in a public way in front of the whole internet, instead of just in a private conversation between friends.

Pretty tactless, but really, who wouldn't be thinking the same. I know if I'd worked on a game for years and some guy slagged it off I'd probably be thinking "F*** you buddy", I just wouldn't post it on Facebook like a noob.
    12:11pm 21/08/12 Permalink
    Eorl
    Brisbane, Queensland
    7321 posts
    Tried to read and understand all that Paragon stuff... way to make a game confusing as hell. So how you have both Magic Find plus this Paragon level system? WTF.
    From what I've read and tried to understand, you will hit level 60, and then after level 60 you will have 100 more levels to add on over time. The required amount is estimated to be about 1452 hours to get from level 1 to 100 Paragon (source).

Basically what happens is each Paragon level you gain similar increase to base stats as you do in normal levelling, but you also gain an increase magic find for items and gold, all the way up to 300% which is the hard cap now for magic find. So once you are level 100 Paragon, you will have 300% magic find, with no way to increase it through gear stats, though apparently Nephalem buff will increase it slightly on top of the 300%.

Basically, Blizzard has made it so you can only get to 300% magic find, and while levelling up your Paragon levels you will still "have high magic find" so you will still require gear.

Also Khel, it isn't "some guy", Jay Wilson is saying F U to the guy who created Diablo 1 and Diablo 2.
    12:13pm 21/08/12 Permalink
    ravn0s
    Brisbane, Queensland
    15757 posts
    Pretty tactless, but really, who wouldn't be thinking the same. I know if I'd worked on a game for years and some guy slagged it off I'd probably be thinking "F*** you buddy", I just wouldn't post it on Facebook like a noob.

1. that some guy created diablo 1 and 2.
    2. he didn't slag it off, he just voiced his disappointment with the game. he pointed out the problems that the majority of gamers were upset about.
    12:51pm 21/08/12 Permalink
    eski
    Perth, Western Australia
    1031 posts
    Pretty sure Khel knows all that, its just that when you're trying to make a friend feel better, everyone is just "some guy"
    12:58pm 21/08/12 Permalink
    Khel
    Brisbane, Queensland
    19787 posts
    that some guy created diablo 1 and 2.

And Hellgate: London, so you know, glass houses, stones, etc.

But yeah, what eski said.
    01:28pm 21/08/12 Permalink
    Dazhel
    Gold Coast, Queensland
    5155 posts
    2. he didn't slag it off, he just voiced his disappointment with the game. he pointed out the problems that the majority of gamers were upset about.

This point needs emphasis. I saw the video, Brevik was extremely diplomatic in answering a bunch of leading questions and was just echoing the community disappointment, nothing really new.
    Doesn't matter whether you're trying to cheer someone up, when you call the guy who indirectly had a large part in the D3 sales success "that loser" you come across as a douchebag.
    01:32pm 21/08/12 Permalink
    DM
    Gold Coast, Queensland
    4902 posts
    I'd play hellgate london over D3 any day.
    01:37pm 21/08/12 Permalink
    Khel
    Brisbane, Queensland
    19788 posts
    Now you're just being silly
    01:43pm 21/08/12 Permalink
    Smith
    Brisbane, Queensland
    1 posts
    And Hellgate: London, so you know, glass houses, stones, etc.But yeah, what eski said.
    It is sad that the people in that Facebook conversation are picking out a game that failed over the series that made them where they are now. If it wasn't for Brevik and the original team there wouldn't be a Diablo 3. Jay Wilson acted out of anger and trying to comfort a friend, I understand that, but he seriously needs to close his mouth more often. I'm sure many developers have had several failed games before hitting it big, but it seems people will hate on them rather then their successes just to prove a point.

Brevik didn't lash out at all in the interview, he answered as civil as he could, and never once called names or said "f*** that loser". He made a great point that it is the team that makes or breaks the game at the end of the day, not the sales. He echoed what many customers felt dissatisfied with Diablo 3, and Jay Wilson's comment shows what seems many at Blizzard have lost touch with. I felt like his immature response was directed at the community, because that is what Brevik's interview was summarising, what the community felt about Diablo 3.
    01:53pm 21/08/12 Permalink
    Khel
    Brisbane, Queensland
    19789 posts
    I dunno, I agree he went about it all wrong, but I can still empathise with him. Hes probably just as frustrated, and let it get the better of him. I'd probably feeling like telling the community to f*** off as well in his position, have you ever actually read the forums over at Blizzard? I'd be ashamed of having that sort of 'community'.

Yeah, none of that excuses it, and sure it was a bit of a douchebag thing to do, but I think its being blown out of proportion just because its popular to hate on Blizzard/D3 at the moment. Just like when Mass Effect 3 came out and it was popular to hate on the writers of that for a while, or when Dragon Age 2 came out it was popular to hate on the team behind that for a while. Soon enough the next popular game worth hating will be out and nobody will even remember who Jay Wilson was.
    02:04pm 21/08/12 Permalink
    Selcinorhc
    Brisbane, Queensland
    29 posts
    Full Patch Notes

Hitting tonight during maintenance.
    02:57pm 21/08/12 Permalink
    DM
    Gold Coast, Queensland
    4904 posts
    The plot thickens with more facebook s***. Would link here but tis a big image and don't want to bork the thread.

Guy is insulting people who have joined a boycott blizzard group or something and turns out to be a CM employed by them. All this stupid s*** because 1 guy said they took D3 in a different direction than him. Butt hurt much?
    07:52pm 21/08/12 Permalink
    Khel
    Brisbane, Queensland
    19791 posts
    How'd he get the five year sword if hes only been there for 3 years
    08:15pm 21/08/12 Permalink
    Viper119
    UK
    1654 posts
    I love the detective work in that post, haha!

Blizzard need to sort out their PR, pronto.
    09:51pm 21/08/12 Permalink
    skythra
    Brisbane, Queensland
    6000 posts
    It's about time Blizzard showed a human side IMO.

Otherwise it always felt like you were hitting up against their shiny metal ass if you didn't agree with them.
    10:00pm 21/08/12 Permalink
    kos
    Germany
    2149 posts

Perhaps he's only been in that position for 3 years but at Blizzard longer.

I had no ill feelings towards Blizzard after Diablo 3, I mean sure it gets kind of boring pretty quickly but to me that's no different to how Diablo 1 or 2 felt personally, and it was still better than most games out at the moment and still worth the price. In fact I even thought a lot of the negative feedback and rage from fans was a pretty unfair.

But this has changed how I feel towards Blizzard a lot. You can see that the guy being interviewed was trying his hardest to answer obviously loaded questions as civilly as possible while still being genuine about how his own feelings.

But in the end it just seems like the guys at Blizzard have shown that they are more interested in defending themselves against perceived insults that aren't really there than admitting that there are obvious failings in the game they've created and are genuinely interested in listening to fans and fixing the problems.

As Khel said, those Facebook comments are more something you would say in private which you don't really mean as harshly as you say, but you say them like that to try to make someone feel better. I would expect the lead Game Director of a Blizzard game to have a lot more sense than to post something like that publicly.
    10:23pm 21/08/12 Permalink
    Nathan
    Brisbane, Queensland
    4069 posts
    I think the only people who would say D3 is not a good game in the scope of all games, are those with an axe to grind. The core gameplay mechanic is fun (if you like ARPG games)

But people don't expect a good game of Blizzard, they expect an excellent game - a best-in-genre game. Particularly people those who loved Diablo 1/2. I think for most people, the disappointment is that they dont view it as best-in-genre and hence its seen as a let-down.
    11:51am 22/08/12 Permalink
    Raven
    Melbourne, Victoria
    7300 posts
    I think the only people who would say D3 is not a good game in the scope of all games, are those with an axe to grind. The core gameplay mechanic is fun (if you like ARPG games)

I really think that depends what you classify as a "good game".
    I don't think D3 is a "good" game because once you scrape past the surface, you realise you're just repeating the same actions over and over. It's addictive to a point in its reward system, but it's that formula that makes it addictive, but not good.
    That's in a different way that I struggle to call TA a "good game", because really I think it's a fantastic game, but if you're the only one in it, and there's not enough people playing it, then you can't call it a "good game".

Zelda: Link to the Past was a "good game". More like this, please ;)
    12:55pm 22/08/12 Permalink
    paveway
    Brisbane, Queensland
    17111 posts
    i will give this new system a crack i think

nathan is right, it is a good game. but grinding like MMO spec grinding just wasn't doing it for me

i can deal with a bit of it, but as stated in that write up from blizzard about the paragon system - it was f*****g s***ting me playing for a couple of hours and finding f***all items worth anything
    12:56pm 22/08/12 Permalink
    Nathan
    Brisbane, Queensland
    4070 posts
    I don't think D3 is a "good" game because once you scrape past the surface, you realise you're just repeating the same actions over and over.
    If you can put 20 hours into it and enjoy those 20 hours, to me I think you have to classify that a a good (as in above average) game.

If you pick any random game off a store shelf and buy it, there's good chance you will just stop playing well before 20 hours because you aren't enjoying it (a bad game). Or you'll finish it, and have no interest in playing it again (an average game).

In my mind for a game to go from being good to great, then either a) that 20 hours has to be EXCELLENT (like your Zelda example) , or b) you want it to have excellent replayability.

I think D3 definitely fails on (a) - all the criticism about the dumb story, the uninspired boss fights, the side missions, and so on to me are spot on. People wanted it to succeed on (b) but general opinion is, it failed, and I think the combination of failure on both those points is what has people so down on the game.
    01:25pm 22/08/12 Permalink
    Agamemnon
    Brisbane, Queensland
    1074 posts
    Anyone else just have Diablo crash massively? huge lag spike followed by... ?
    11:04pm 22/08/12 Permalink
    Dodgymon
    Brisbane, Queensland
    2144 posts
    Yeah I think America just woke up.
    11:24pm 22/08/12 Permalink
    skythra
    Brisbane, Queensland
    6011 posts
    I don't think D3 is a "good" game because once you scrape past the surface, you realise you're just repeating the same actions over and over
    How many times have you pressed WASD and left mouse buttons in a FPS, run down the same hall in CS.

How many times have you built a pylon, before gateway.

How many times have you broken down the actions of any game and realised how repetitive all games are. That's how skill is built.

If you feel like the repetition isn't building skill however, and that itself is making it boring, then that might be a complaint but repetition is like calling the sun hot, or the moon far away.
    11:28pm 22/08/12 Permalink
    PRiME
    Brisbane, Queensland
    183 posts
    Thinking of getting this (have played free to play). Anyone got a spare copy/key they would like to sell me? (probably not). Think its $68, not too bad. Would prefer the $40 mark for digital copies.

One thing I hate about MP is when you have people drop in they just complete the game for you and run around as-if like in single player, no team play, always ahead finishing everything... Real annoying.
    06:44am 23/08/12 Permalink
    Dothtin
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
    6 posts
    Why pay when you've experienced all the pain that the game offers?

I'd pay $30 for the full game and nothing more.
    06:51am 23/08/12 Permalink
    Mosfx
    Gold Coast, Queensland
    1228 posts
    How many times have you pressed WASD and left mouse buttons in a FPS, run down the same hall in CS.How many times have you built a pylon, before gateway. How many times have you broken down the actions of any game and realised how repetitive all games are. That's how skill is built. If you feel like the repetition isn't building skill however, and that itself is making it boring, then that might be a complaint but repetition is like calling the sun hot, or the moon far away.

Yeah all games are repetitive just like most actions in daily life.
    When I finished my first play through with Diablo 3 I grew tired of it quite quickly, as I could see alot of MMORPG grinding elements in the game. Only recently I've started getting back into the game because the Arena/PVP looks like it could be fun so I want to get a Witch Doctor to level 60. I think this Paragon level is a step in the right direction, what else is there to do at level 60 once you've completed Inferno?
    08:15am 23/08/12 Permalink
    parabol
    Brisbane, Queensland
    7202 posts

"Level Requirement Reduced by 2" affix ...
    08:47am 23/08/12 Permalink
    Raven
    Melbourne, Victoria
    7305 posts
    While it doesn't qualify a game being "good", I tend to consider a game to be good value if I get 1hr gameplay for every dollar I spent on it.
    eg, Secret of Mana: Easily worth the $70 I paid for it.
    Quake 3: Smashed through the $90 purchase price.
    Portal 2: Maybe only barely.
    LA Noire: Certainly didn't take me 80 hours to pass.
    10:26am 23/08/12 Permalink
    parabol
    Brisbane, Queensland
    7203 posts
    I tend to consider a game to be good value if I get 1hr gameplay for every dollar I spent on it.

I got about 3 hours of enjoyment out of D3 and then grinded through the rest only to get it over with.

The fact that the game's merits and value are being questioned so frequently and by so many people is a good indicator that there are some definite short-comings with the game. As others have said, D3 would have been a good sequel had it come out 5-7 years ago when typical gameplay mechanics and rules were still generally simple ...
    10:36am 23/08/12 Permalink
    Khel
    Brisbane, Queensland
    19798 posts
    I got almost 200 hours of play out of D3, so by your metric that would make it an amazing game.

While I don't think it was the classic that people were hoping for, I enjoyed it, I'd still consider it a good game and a fun game, and I'll probably even go back and play it some more at a later date I would imagine.
    10:45am 23/08/12 Permalink
    dais
    Brisbane, Queensland
    10065 posts
    These should have been in the game from the beginning. Better late than never I suppose.

Obviously the best one is the Cluckeye.
    11:50am 24/08/12 Permalink
    Raven
    Melbourne, Victoria
    7317 posts
    I got almost 200 hours of play out of D3, so by your metric that would make it an amazing game.

No, don't misinterpret what I said. I said it's good value if it passes that point. Just because it devours your life doesn't make it better value :P
    12:01pm 24/08/12 Permalink
    HerbalLizard
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5579 posts
    I hit up d3 today on my day off, I have to say it does actually feel like a every so slightly different game. I hadn't looked into what the patch actually did

D3 Lvl41 monk
    02:49pm 24/08/12 Permalink
    PRiME
    Brisbane, Queensland
    186 posts
    Found it on CJS for $32 or something. The Ru Patched to ENG version works fine with latest 1.04 patch. I'm ok with $32.
    03:47pm 24/08/12 Permalink
    Scooter
    Brisbane, Queensland
    6009 posts
    Jumped on today for a bit of a play. Killed Belail without any trouble at all, not sure if it was just the no-rage timer or if they made mobs easier as well?

That's probably enough to boost me to bother clocking Inferno on my Monk, not sure if I'll play/do much after that though.
    06:12pm 25/08/12 Permalink
    Viper119
    UK
    1659 posts
    So I just started playing this (wtfbbq I know right, well I only just got round to fixing my PC).

I've had major issues trying to get it to work, basically once it gets into the main menu it starts throwing graphics glitches (pixelation, etc) then crashes, either a straight freeze or sometimes a BSOD referencing nvlddmkm.dll. This issue is intermittant, sometimes it does it immediately, other times after playing for a while.

I did all the standard troubleshooting, tried; old drivers, current drivers, latest beta drivers, several different settings variations, etc. Last thing I tried and it only kind of works, is I had to install EVGA Precision X and set a manual fan curve on the fans on my graphics cards, so they sped up as the temp went up. Looks like it was getting up to 80C previously! Now it sits around 40 and whilst playing Diablo it goes up to 50-60. The card temps stay pretty low when playing any other game.

Whilst researching I've found alot of refences to the same issue, and some referencing temps of 110+ whilst playing Diablo only.

Anyone had simliar problems?

Spec for reference is:

Quad Core 3Ghz
    8GB RAM
    2x Geforce 9800 GTX+ 256MB

Playing the game, it's pretty cool.. in that it's Diablo 2 with sweet graphics and cool physics.. killing things is very satisfying.
    11:46pm 26/08/12 Permalink
    Inept
    Brisbane, Queensland
    116 posts
    Bit of a resurrection I know... I thought since I'm playing D3 a fair bit now (only got to 52 before - feels good after the patches though) I'd drop by and see if there's anyone else playing. Feel free to add me to do some runs or something: Ineptek#1168
    09:26pm 29/09/12 Permalink
    shad
    Brisbane, Queensland
    3806 posts
    I nailed Diablo on Inferno on my witch doctor, been trying to get motivated to play since that. Will probably wait until after the next patch where you can set monster levels before I get back into it.
    09:32pm 29/09/12 Permalink
    system
    Internet
    --
    09:32pm 29/09/12 Permalink
    AusGamers Forums
    Show: per page
    1 2 3
    This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.
    Close