Grab yourself a beta key for World of Warcraft's fifth expansion right here!
World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor Beta Giveaway
AusGamers takes a deep and hard look at just what Bungie has to offer in their newest sci-fi world, and just where our Destiny may lay.
Destiny Reviewed
AusGamers had the chance to sit down and chat with lead programmer and local Australian Ian Hern on all things Kraden’s Crypt.
Interview with Ian Hern on Kraden's Crypt
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
ArmA II mod : DayZ! Persistent hardcore zombie survival mod.
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
7216 posts
I know this will be obvious nats, but tried updating graphics drivers?
07:21pm 28/07/12 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
2796 posts
Never seen that before Nats, best bet would be to goto the BIS forums for help.

Edit: In game hold down left shift and numpad minus together, release and type 'flush'. This will flush your memory, may help, may not.
08:07pm 28/07/12 Permalink
XaartaX
Adelaide, South Australia
499 posts
Well today I found it isn't a smart idea to shut the dunny door on your head. You can KO yourself, break bones and make yourself bleed all in one.
09:35pm 28/07/12 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
2798 posts
Well today I found it isn't a smart idea to shut the dunny door on your head. You can KO yourself, break bones and make yourself bleed all in one.

Hahaha yea done that. You can actually get in there and close the door safely, helps if you need to get your temp up.
10:27pm 28/07/12 Permalink
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
7868 posts
Latest beta video card drivers, latest arma beta, and yes I've shift -- flushed to no avail
10:59pm 28/07/12 Permalink
Bromby
84 posts
natslovR, try turning vsync on and off as required to get rid of that s***. My mate is experiencing things like that and it seems to do the trick.
11:57pm 28/07/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
7217 posts
Nats try this optimisation guide, may work for you. I use to have a few problems like that, models would stretch out and shadows would screw up, but then I tweaked everything with this guide and haven't looked back.
08:56am 29/07/12 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1153 posts
Re-install the game nats.
10:05am 29/07/12 Permalink
Ospi
Brisbane, Queensland
363 posts
If you are running the beta build it's having artifacting issues which I am experiencing as well.
10:52am 29/07/12 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
2799 posts
If you are running the beta build it's having artifacting issues which I am experiencing as well.

I don't think it's the beta, rather the latest DayZ build.
12:51pm 29/07/12 Permalink
Ospi
Brisbane, Queensland
364 posts
Yeah that's what i meant sorry, the dayz build they have not "officially" released yet but you can test.
12:56pm 29/07/12 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
6170 posts
A new beta patch is out for arma 2 which fixed the graphics problems for me.

Found my first heli crash site today, it was between stary and novy sobor. I heard gun fire so decided to circle around and wait in the tree line for whoever was shooting. after 5 minutes or so i see him run towards the chopper, I'm about 400-500m away in the tree line. I watch him for a bit as he had zombies chasing him, then i lined him up and fired 1 shot from my m14, he went down. Came up on my stats as a murder so i felt pretty bad but that's the game.

Went and checked his body, had some decent gear. Checked the heli and found an FN FAL ANPV S4. It has a night vision scope so that will come in handy!

Game is great when it works.
04:02pm 29/07/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
7219 posts
Careful with that FN FAL, pretty much can't use it during the day so I'd suggest storing it for night time raiding.
05:29pm 29/07/12 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
6171 posts
Yeah, and it seems ammo is pretty scarce for it. I'll keep in my pack and just use my m14 for now. Might ditch it once i find some NVG's.

What weapons are you guys using?
05:43pm 29/07/12 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
2800 posts
What weapons are you guys using?

Mk 48 Mod 0, AS50 and Glock 17.
07:26pm 29/07/12 Permalink
Jim
UK
13016 posts
test
07:31pm 29/07/12 Permalink
Bromby
85 posts
I was using a Bizon SP and AS50 with a G17 until I glitched this afternoon in a tree and it killed me. I managed to run halfway across the map to get my stuff back bar my back pack :(
08:10pm 29/07/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
7220 posts
Seem to have a weird bug going on at the moment. I've found two ATV's, repaired one and took it for a ride to my stash, however it ran out of fuel along the way. Went to go find a jerry can and a couple hours later have one, however when I go to fill the ATV up it doesn't fill up the gauge. Everything is showing up green so I'm pretty sure nothing is wrong with the fuel tank.

Any suggestions?
08:12pm 29/07/12 Permalink
Shroud
Sydney, New South Wales
277 posts
hey Bromby.. can you spare any GPS??
08:17pm 29/07/12 Permalink
Bromby
86 posts
I've only got one atm man but if I come across one, I'll definately keep it and meet you on a server somewhere. I'll let you know. Probably gonna have a game soon
08:46pm 29/07/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
7221 posts
Haha wow, massive hack just happened on a heap of servers. Everyone got transported to the "Thunderdome", a permanent place on the NWAF that has 6 crates full of every weapon/ammo/object you can think of.
11:17pm 29/07/12 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1154 posts
Did it happen to you? I was playing like 10-15 mins ago and didn't see this.
11:19pm 29/07/12 Permalink
cJay
Brisbane, Queensland
1301 posts
What server Eorl?

I want your beans!
10:53am 30/07/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21152 posts
So no-one is BrucePHD?
11:21am 30/07/12 Permalink
Bromby
87 posts
F*** had the most epic fail PVP last night. Hitting up the fire station and barn just north of Electro. Had 3 other people in my squad. Spot a play in a gilli suit who aggroed the zeds and was running too the barn. NEKMINUT antoher player caps that player in the barn, I follow up, hear him take a drink so I start firing... I kill him but his mate just around the corner kills me with a shotgun, then my mate snipes them that player while looting my corpse.

But that's not all. So I respawn just west of Electro, so I get my squad to cover the bodies till I get there so I can get my stuff back. Turns out another player gets there before I do, too which they also kill. Finally I get to the barn, grab my guns and pack back. My squad mates retreat back to the tree line just before I finish up. And don't you know it, the f***head I killed earlier hacks me to death with a hatchet while I was moving my pack about. F***! I yell out to the boys (teamspeak ftw) and they kill him again.

So I respawn, near Cherno this time and had a bit of a run to get there. The guys are still covering my gear till I get there. Turns out old mate tries it again before I get there again, gets killed again but logs out. I finally get to my body again and turns out my Bizon, G17, and one of the random players DMR all disappear along with half of my gear. I wish I had got a video because I have never seen so many corpses in one spot (and so much fail :()

F*** this game is awesome
11:32am 30/07/12 Permalink
Rohan
Sydney, New South Wales
169 posts
yesterday was the worst for me. Here I am fully geared out (at last) with a CCO SD, FN FAL NVGs, range finder, camo suit, coyote pack etc and playing with a bunch of friends, when all of a sudden a hacker turns everyone into zombies (you see other players as zombies) my mate got freaked and killed me. Well north of NW airfield. I spawn back at Komorovo only to have the hacker spawn about 50 bear traps along the coast, teleports everyone there and then shoots them all. :/
GRRRR ARGAGHWRGJAhgwrhqwr @^Y$(*&(*@Q

last edited by Rohan at 15:58:06 30/Jul/12
03:56pm 30/07/12 Permalink
Shaexen
Brisbane, Queensland
498 posts
I got impatient and went and played on some random dodgy US server. So I'm in the cherno firehouse when someone logs in right infront of me. I shoot him 6 times in the chest, but he manages to get one shot off that kills me.

/sigh
08:25pm 30/07/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20330 posts
So no-one is BrucePHD?

I figure he must be a dayz player, added me to his friends list too.

Trouble is, I haven't had a game of it since I first installed it. Got bored, left, tried again and game wouldn't run, couldn't connect, more drama than "days of our lives" but finally looks like I might have got it working again now, servers are all full.

FML.
10:05pm 30/07/12 Permalink
Ozzy
191 posts
yesterday was the worst for me. Here I am fully geared out (at last) with a CCO SD, FN FAL NVGs, range finder, camo suit, coyote pack etc and playing with a bunch of friends, when all of a sudden a hacker turns everyone into zombies (you see other players as zombies) my mate got freaked and killed me. Well north of NW airfield. I spawn back at Komorovo only to have the hacker spawn about 50 bear traps along the coast, teleports everyone there and then shoots them all. :/
GRRRR ARGAGHWRGJAhgwrhqwr @^Y$(*&(*@Qlast edited by Rohan at 15:58:06 30/Jul/12

Ya sick of hackers... I've died like 15 times to hackers spawning behind me as "Administrator" and killing me from behind. In the middle of the forest... etc...
07:25am 31/07/12 Permalink
Bromby
89 posts
Stick to the US servers lads. You'll find a few that kick for high pings but once you do it's alot better. I haven't witnessed any hacking yet.
10:00am 31/07/12 Permalink
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
7870 posts
Reinstall seems to have fixed my problems, but I didn't play for long. Now I just need more time to play to confirm everything is ok.
12:54pm 31/07/12 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1130 posts
So.. I died with all my gear (DMR/M14/Ammo/Blah blah everythign else you could want) whilst I was on overwatch sniper covering my mate.. I got killed by a goddamn M107 at point blank range after guy snuck up on me.
Mate ran up but there was two of them kill him too.

Now, I totally don't care because the greatest thing of all time happened...

We get off the ANZ server and respawn on a US server that we play on which is run by an Aussie (takes you all of about 15 seconds to load vs Australian 10 minute s***).

Looting elektro since we fluked spawning on either end we hear shots and decide to investigate before the shots investigate us. Guy in a church, instead of killing on sight we decide to ask if they are friendly for a change.
They say yes, we warn two of us and have them crossfired if they try anything.

To cut a long story short there was two of them and we actually know them from another forum. Even better, they know of a chopper that is in need of repair.

Fast forward approximately 6 hours of gameplay looting industrial areas and ferrying gear we get airborne oh yes! but not much fuel, (after 25 jerry cans!) pilot stuffs up and lands half on a house 2 minutes on takeoff going to nearest airfield breaking engine and some glass (Glass now acts as your fuel tank btw).

Fast forward about THREE HOURS of cycling industrial spawns we finally get repair parts, only its now 4am this morning and the server frame rate has gone to s*** (I was getting 9-10fps and so was everyone else) and to top it off our pilot went to bed.

Not to be defeated it all came down to me.. never piloted a chopper in Arma or Dayz before so we expected to die shortly after starting the engine.
Well I managed to fly it over Elektro/Cherno and 99% of the way to NWAF when I went to pickup speed and had spastic amount of framerate lag only to find out we exploded on the ground :(

INTERESTINGLY, I Bandicam the whole thing (currently uploading to youtube) and the framerate on bandicam is a solid 50fps (what I capture at), smooth as silk and the complete opposite of what I saw ingame.

I'm running a i7 2600, GTX590 etc. and I run most settings on med/low so it wasn't my end the framerate issues was on (plus other peoples who had fps overlay from bandicam etc. were capped at the same max pisspoor framerate).

So I've now taken to the skies in SP cherno editor I threw in and have been practicing flying since I've become the forums dedicated heli pilot.

I can now do a kobra inverted helicopter turny thing **underneath** the silo overhead thing in cherno and keep repeating this underneath it. Land on a roof etc.
Currently working on learning the sideways landing whereby you come in extremely fast, pitch the helicopter sideways 90 degrees and sort of handbrake turn land to leveling out at the last second for touchdown. Easy to do in an open field but extremely hard to do with landing on an accurate point or around trees etc.
Uploading video of some practice flying as well if anyone is interested :)
01:14pm 31/07/12 Permalink
XaartaX
Adelaide, South Australia
500 posts
@ Mephz. Re flying the helicopter. You using the default keyboard/mouse setup? Found it awkward as to use =\
01:52pm 31/07/12 Permalink
cJay
Brisbane, Queensland
1302 posts
Hey Eorl

I dont suppose you stumbled apon a car way up north on AU 2 today? I noticed you are logged in.
02:40pm 31/07/12 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1131 posts
Xaartax I was. Now plugged in ps3 controller and trying to learn with that. (finding KB much easier so far for difficult maneuvers but the controller is smoother when you want to just circle smoothly etc)
The UH-1H is easily the hardest thing to fly in the game because its so sensitive to all the controls (particularly pitching and pedals).
It also lacks power to gain height quickly so its easy to be heading downward after a hard turn or dive but be leveled off.

Try learning with the USMC UH1 first then move onto the UH-1H in the editor as I've found the UH-1H much much easier to land but much harder to do stunts with.

last edited by Mephz at 14:47:44 31/Jul/12
02:46pm 31/07/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
7227 posts
Nope haven't seen any cars at all in AU2, friends and I have only just recently moved onto there while we wait for GA servers. I did however find a bicycle on AU1 which I then proceeded to ride into Cherno with Bicycle Race blaring over VOIP.
02:47pm 31/07/12 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
2804 posts
FYI my group has run into a disproportionate amount of script kiddies on AU2, we abandoned it.
03:37pm 31/07/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
7228 posts
Yeah it seems to be quite a hectic one, last night we got teleported to the Thunderdome again, though this time I actually participated in it rather then disconnect, was quite hilarious. Grabbed myself an M240 and sat inside one of the forst and just blasted everyone I could see, killed my friends. I then proceeded to grab some satchel charges and blow open a bit of the wall. Was just about to get out when I got shot in the back.

Afterwards we kept getting teleported to the hospital building in Elektro, each time being equipped with a full set of gear consisting of AS50 and Coyote backpack. I just disconnected on the second time because I got bored of it, so now I have all my gear technically back.
03:40pm 31/07/12 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1177 posts
Mephz, I found practicing landing as you would for real in those bad boys the best practice.

Come in low, point the nose waaay high while you cut collective, and then catch it with the collectivebefore it finds the ground.
Alternatively, there's an old pilot addage that goes, "If in doubt, pull up; no-one has ever crashed into the sky".
Also, if you've got the funds, Track IR FTMFW. It makes flying that much easier/more immersive when you can naturally look around in game.
I have never found so much as a car in DayZ (much less a helo). So I can't comment on that element.

I can't seem to find a crew trustworthy enough to side with. My best games of DayZ are lone wolfing it. (others in my 'teams' in the past just seem to draw too much attention, or 'shoot first and ask questions later' (especially frustrating when the guy he pisses off has a DMR, and is 500m+ away while we're all toting shotties with one or two assault rifles))

which I then proceeded to ride into Cherno with Bicycle Race blaring over VOIP

Sounds awesome Eorl, vid or it didn't happen.

I've been killed 'very conventiently' on a few occaisions. I don't tend to draw too much attention to myself, and (I became a convert to US server's a few weeks ago, and having been burnt by paranoid survivors/posing bandits one too many times on full/near-to-full AU servers, I don't tend to play on servers with more than 10 players now) on one US Server with approximately 5 players, one guy managed to find me, bundle me up inside a building and just emptied ammo from all of his firearms into me point blank as I crept out of the place.

Hacking kinda kills the fun. I'd like to get into a server with an established 'demilitarisation zone' (happy for NWAF/Stary peeps to blast away, I'm just tired of being popped by some twat who, if he asked, I'd just as soon surrender some of my stuff (I usually carry around plenty of spares) in exchange for parting ways unharmed.)
04:09pm 31/07/12 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1132 posts
*shrugs*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEutuexTb-U&feature=youtu.be

Here's my first go flying with the ps3 controller
04:32pm 31/07/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21162 posts
I have never found so much as a car in DayZ (much less a helo). So I can't comment on that element.
You can practice flying helicopters in vanilla Arma2.
04:40pm 31/07/12 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
1178 posts
Nice work Mephz, (good choice for soundtrack too).

My only advice is to make some of your maneuvre's more deliberate, with a focus on 'being smooth'.
It'll likely make you more succeptible to sniper fire, but the trade off is that on an 'iffy ping' server you won't be scraping yourself and your mates off the ground.

Some of those reverseing turns looked well sketchy :P
05:27pm 31/07/12 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
1179 posts
You can practice flying helicopters in vanilla Arma2.

I know, I've landed on the top Rog castle in the past. (I'd have made an easy target in the last few moments before touch down too)

I bought big on SIm hardware a few years ago, specifically for Helo flyin ;)
05:32pm 31/07/12 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
2805 posts
Looks a bit twitchy with the controller Mephz, I use a joystick to fly, works great as you would expect.
05:35pm 31/07/12 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1133 posts
Only been flying (never played ArmA original or flown in ArmA) for about an hour total so far :)
I did find the UH1H to be the least 'real' feeling compared to the other choppers I tried out in the editor. The UH1H is just super touchy (it's super touchy with keyboard too)

Hey IVY, if possible if you could do a similar style run and put it up that would be quite cool to see. I'd like to see it done smoothly.
Next chopper in DayZ I won't exactly be flying that low and quite that erratic but I figure trying to stunt fly is the best way to improve your accuracy with the flight model.
Is there a separate sensitivity for the flight controls (like BattleField had?)

last edited by Mephz at 17:40:39 31/Jul/12
05:36pm 31/07/12 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1134 posts
Oh yeah around green mountain I was trying to get a dancing cobra type thing happening similar to how I take off at the start but I just couldn't do it very well on the controller (that seems easier on keyboard).
Its strange rolling is nice and smooth and not so sensitive but pitching and the pedals is crazy
05:48pm 31/07/12 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
2806 posts
Oh yeah around green mountain I was trying to get a dancing cobra type thing happening similar to how I take off at the start but I just couldn't do it very well on the controller (that seems easier on keyboard).
Its strange rolling is nice and smooth and not so sensitive but pitching and the pedals is crazy

You can adjust all those settings, via controls.

The flight model is actually one of the least authentic features of Arma 2. It's expected, though not confirmed that Arma 3 will borrow greatly from BIS' Take on Helicopters flight model, much more authentic. Also the most twitchy chopper in Arma is the AH-6 littlebird.
06:00pm 31/07/12 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1135 posts
Yeah there is a generalised sensitivity for x/y axis but that would seem to effect mouse look as well when not flying which is not ideal :(
06:08pm 31/07/12 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
2807 posts
Yeah there is a generalised sensitivity for x/y axis but that would seem to effect mouse look as well when not flying which is not ideal :(

No no, go into options > controls > click 'controller' button > select controller > customize. PC game has PC options.
06:14pm 31/07/12 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
1181 posts
Hey IVY, if possible if you could do a similar style run...

Yeah actually, I could look @ putting that together, what are you using to record the session?
06:37pm 31/07/12 Permalink
BrucePHD
1 posts
So no-one is BrucePHD?

that'd be me. n00bie. got the new graphics card. played for 2 days. didnt find a gun. died and died. got a ak47+60 rounds.

hacker transported everyone to some crazy happening. died without even shooting it. *sad face*

now have a gun but no ammo. fat lotta good that is! anyway. keen to team up with anyone for adventuring.
07:53pm 31/07/12 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
1182 posts
... keen to team up with anyone for adventuring.

keen to team up with anyone EVERYONE for adventuring.

Fixed. And I second this!
09:25pm 31/07/12 Permalink
Bromby
90 posts
I won't be in for the next week. I work away :'(
09:27pm 31/07/12 Permalink
BrucePHD
2 posts
oh dear/ killed by a guy with an axe. i had a pistol and a shot gun. didnt even see him coming. getting the hang of this caper.

anyone up for a jive now? im on steam @ BrucePHD
10:01pm 31/07/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
7229 posts
Just found a chopper for me and 5 mates, just have to fix everything up and away we go. Going to be hilarious terrorizing elektro and cherno, should be fun!
11:30pm 31/07/12 Permalink
Shroud
Sydney, New South Wales
279 posts
Where'd you find it?
01:04am 01/08/12 Permalink
BrucePHD
3 posts
buggar. found a crashed chopper. BEST LOOT EVAAA

silenced pistol. sniper rifle. back pack. night vision. map. GPS. map. tool kit. the whole works.

then i was sorting out zombies. and a clan got me. all nice stuff. GOOOOOONNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEE

&cry&
01:24am 01/08/12 Permalink
BrucePHD
4 posts
Just found a chopper for me and 5 mates, just have to fix everything up and away we go. Going to be hilarious terrorizing elektro and cherno, should be fun!

you pricks just took me out. i think :(
01:24am 01/08/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
7230 posts
On a random US server so probably not you Bruce. Found it on a random hill, may have been someones as its only needing a few parts to fix.
08:18am 01/08/12 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
1184 posts
I had the best haul in a single sesh to date.
I started over at Zeleno (bringing morphine to a mate of mine who had a busted leg) and moved north to Green Mountain. As I didn't want to spend hours playing, I decided that recovering my buddy and a handful of deer stands would be me.
Scour the first two stands, not much of anything, round to the eastern deer stand and BAM downed Helo!! (my first too)

Approach it fairly effortlessly, and there's an M14, M107 and some meds there so restock any deficiencies.
I decide to head inland to get away from the wreckage (and out of open areas) and BOOM a second downed helo 200m from the first!!!

this one had an M14, a DMR some M107 ammo and 1x Camo clothing (which I hastily avoid courtesy of its bug plaguedness previously)

So yeah, 1x DMR and 6 Mags later... low pop servers FTMFW!!
08:48am 01/08/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12927 posts
01:37pm 01/08/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
2596 posts
Its probably already been mentioned but i lol when im being all stealthy and s*** (normally in prone) and some random runs by being chased by zombies. Not only does it draw them away, but there is a chance he will die and i can loot his corpse although its normally only the noobs with no items. One time i coulda played the benny hill theme as this dude ran around an industrial area trying to lose the zombies chasing - hilarious to watch.
01:57pm 01/08/12 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
6172 posts
Just found a chopper crash site and got very excited only to find it has already been looted, bad luck i thought and i moved on. About 400m away is another one, i approch with caution and find an L85 AWS, 2x DMR and ammo. So happy, thermal scope almost makes it too easy ;). Sadly still no GPS, Camo or NVGs.

last edited by Crakaveli at 14:30:45 01/Aug/12
02:26pm 01/08/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
7232 posts
Only problem with the L85 is that you have to use NVG/Thermal because there is no off on the scope visions. Makes for a great gun at night, but sadly not many people play night.
02:58pm 01/08/12 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
6173 posts
Thermal works fine for day, but it could be a problem at close range. I think i'll end up swapping my DMR for an m4 or something if i can find one, and just use the l85 as my sniper rifle (it can be zeroed). Might need to get a range finder too..
03:18pm 01/08/12 Permalink
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
7871 posts
I had just made it inside a barn the other day when I heard the terror of a man being chased by zombies. The thuds and grunting were accompanied by his screams, and it got closer and closer. I lay there prone wishing I could arm the pocket knife for when him and his hoard come crashing around the corner to the side corridor where I was hiding. At least I could stab the zombies in the toe or something.

I lay there and listened to him die. It took a long time. Eventually I peaked out around the corner to fine no one there. Damn, didn't get to loot him.

Moved on to the building across the path and there he was hanging half off the staircase, with blood still pooring out. Took his crossbow and all his missed arrows, my first can of beans and his axe and off I went happy in the knowledge that he didn't die just the other side of the thin wall to me, that he was a building away, and there was nothing I could do to save him anyway.
03:29pm 01/08/12 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
6174 posts
I'd love to team up with some of you guys some time.. What servers do you normally play?
04:07pm 01/08/12 Permalink
blah
Gold Coast, Queensland
53 posts

yeah what servers do you guys usually play on?
04:19pm 01/08/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
7234 posts
I'm most frequently on AU1 or AU2, however we are playing on US 814 at the moment because we have a helicopter on there. Basically just waiting for the GameArena servers which should be hopefully very soon.
04:37pm 01/08/12 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
6175 posts
A helicopter hey? I'm a pro pilot if you ever need one (autohover is for noobs ;) )

Most of the ANZ servers dont seem to work for me, i just get stuck on loading screen. Only one that is reliable is the games.on.net vet server.
05:05pm 01/08/12 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1136 posts
because we have a helicopter on there.
Until a hacker ports to it and steals it >:\
Don't expect to have it long unfortuantely :/
05:44pm 01/08/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
7235 posts
Nah we are just playing around until GA servers come online, then we shall setup a base and a toll road between Elektro and Cherno. We have about 200 rolls of wire waiting to be used.
06:02pm 01/08/12 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1157 posts
What the hell, some guy just showed up out of the blue and gave me a s***load of awesome items. Let me find out exactly what I got and I'll post back.

Edit: So the mysterious stranger who "helps people out" gave me the following:

• AS50 TWS

• Entrenching Tool

• GPS

• Hunting Knife

• M9 SD

• Map

• Rangefinder

• Radio

• NV Goggles

• Toolbox

• Watch

• Coyote backpack (24 slot one?) filled with items such as the above

06:05pm 01/08/12 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1137 posts
A hacker who has spawned in a bunch of stuff.
06:43pm 01/08/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21177 posts
I think the days of avoiding obviously hacked gear are well and truly over so enjoy all that s*** he just gave you!

I'll be back to this game when no-one cheats (probably Arma3 ;P)
06:49pm 01/08/12 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1158 posts
How do they manage to spawn items in the game? I was a bit suss that he had so much s*** and appeared out of f*****g nowhere behind me.
07:17pm 01/08/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
7237 posts
They just use a bypass for Battleye which fakes them being disconnected or something, then use spawn scripts. Very common now, and my current loadout was given to me by a random hacker. I don't think we will be seeing less hacks until Arma 3 or the standalone because Arma 2 just can't do it, especially when DayZ is doing so much already.
07:38pm 01/08/12 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
2808 posts
Arma 2 is a very open game, very mod friendly, so this can be a side effect. Since DayZ is so popular you naturally get more and more people who will cheat to get an advantage. Typically any time a game mode becomes popular the trolls follow.

If you get onto Arma and play a different game mode like Domination, Evolution, Warfare, Sector control etc. I bet you won't see a single script kiddie.
07:49pm 01/08/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7161 posts
I think this post sums up DayZ nicely, especially:
You have a sniper rifle, and an assault rifle in your backpack. You have matches, a hatchet, food, water, heat packs, morphine. You're all set. You have everything you'll ever need.

Now what? You know what? nothing. There's not a single f*****g thing to do once you get this gear. You can sneak past MORE zombies. Or you can shoot them. You can roam the wilderness looking for crashed helicopters and NVG's. You can search for better weapons. but what do you do when you get these weapons?

You go back to the coast and shoot the guys who just got the game. There's just nothing else to do.
10:12pm 01/08/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
2602 posts
What i think is lols are people who join empty servers to find loot. They may as well be playing singeplayer or on private server with friends. I think the randoms online are what makes the game interactions vary so much but i am totally against hackers that ruin the game. I havent got anywhere near the end as described above but i can see it getting boring at that stage. Dont think i would ever accept hacked gear either as i think it ruins the loot searching aspect of the game.

The dayz post describes a reason similar as to why i left minecraft - my base was pretty good and all the new stuff that was released with updates required new chunks so i never got to play with that. Got bored of just mining diamonds and hunting endermen for enderpearls to find a goddam stronghold. I'll start a new game with a new laptop and when the new version has been released.
10:43pm 01/08/12 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
2809 posts
If all was working as intended then it would be a lot harder to get geared. Also there is end game stuff planned but alpha is too early for that.
12:29am 02/08/12 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
2810 posts
Ran into several hackers tonight, bit s***.
03:05am 02/08/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
7238 posts
I think this post sums up DayZ nicely, especially:
I actually disagree, and believe anyone that complains there is nothing to do in-game just want to be spoon fed objectives. Rocket has said he hates the idea of making players do something, and that DayZ is meant to be this sandbox game that gives you the tools to play. If people don't want to use the tools then they are just going to be disappointed until someone shows them how.

Take for instance what me and some friends did last night. We have everything that you can possibly get in the game, however we decided to run down to Cherno and setup shop as body guards. We actually had people come through and pay us beans in order to be protected while they went about their business looting shops etc. Sure these people could of turned around and shot us, but the notion that 6 big scary seaweed monsters that are in hiding with their scopes on you kind of stops that. We had a ball and we met a few interesting people who got geared up quite well.

I think people just need to stop complaining that the game has "nothing" when it actually has quite a lot for an alpha. Sure its buggy, and yes the tools are still in development, but what I can do right now is something I've never really experienced before in a video game. I've never had this kind of psychological feeling towards a game, I've never really felt the need to check behind me every step or that someone might just be watching me while looting.

On a side note, talk. Seriously it stops at least 80% of my deaths when I encounter someone, if I just talk over the VOIP. I was running through a barn looking for jerry cans and found a random guy, quickly yelled out "hey mate just looking for jerry cans, no need to get hostile" and there was no shooting. I think talking kind of stops the shooting because people are more reluctant to shoot someone they can hear, and they can also hear the emotion.

Oh also, GameArena server is up! AU 20 is now my home town so keep an eye for Eorl!
11:19am 02/08/12 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
6179 posts
Found some NVG's today. Playing during the dark is so easy now.
05:44pm 02/08/12 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
2812 posts
I can't get onto AU20 Eorl, kicks me every time. Mate who got in said it was pbo sig kicks every time, common on s*** box servers that can't handle the load. They time out. You may have seen my kicks as you were in there at the time.

We always avoid the Aussie servers because they are total s*** compared to US servers, but I honestly expected more from Telstra, they charge enough.
05:53pm 02/08/12 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
6180 posts
I can't get in either, just sits on loading screen.
06:18pm 02/08/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
7241 posts
Hmmm, we were testing it earlier today as I was getting PBO kicked each time I logged in, and we had it fixed before I left work. Something may have went bork which is causing it to kick. Definitely capable of the load, it was running at around 10% CPU usage on a single core.
06:47pm 02/08/12 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
2814 posts
Script kiddies getting really really bad suddenly. last two nights ruined by around 8 of them for my group, none of us are bothering with it now. Hoping we just got really unlucky with server selection.
09:15pm 02/08/12 Permalink
cJay
Brisbane, Queensland
1303 posts
Servers are quiet atm.. been playing private hives which is fun.
Perhaps these hackers are organised and trying to make a statement?
Maybe I've had too many beers....zzzZZ Dayzzz
04:26pm 03/08/12 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
6054 posts
Holy s***e

01:51pm 04/08/12 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1175 posts
Amazing:

04:48pm 10/08/12 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1178 posts
Best montage and collection of clips I've seen:

09:43pm 13/08/12 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1216 posts
Anyone up for a game of DayZ?
05:30pm 10/11/12 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1242 posts
Started playing DayZ again if anyone is down for a game.
03:59pm 22/01/13 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3362 posts
Lol, nobody listening bro.
04:42pm 22/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22132 posts
Started playing DayZ again if anyone is down for a game.
Well actually I was eyeing it off the other day thinking about firing her up again. Are the servers still nice and full? There used to be a good private hive going run by some of the dudes who post here... what's the go with that?
04:53pm 22/01/13 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1243 posts
Well actually I was eyeing it off the other day thinking about firing her up again. Are the servers still nice and full? There used to be a good private hive going run by some of the dudes who post here... what's the go with that?

Nice you can join in no problems. Plenty of full servers and easy connecting with PlayWithSIX. There are private hives but also public servers. More than welcome to join.
06:28pm 22/01/13 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1245 posts
DayZ received an update fairly recently for those interested.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/121605-dayz-mod-1751-update/
11:39am 06/02/13 Permalink
pARODY
Brisbane, Queensland
1116 posts
I've been playing on a private hive of servers with a whitelist. I had one of my guys live for about 5 days and get all the cool shiz like NVG and range finders and went into the city to get some more blood bags and got killed. Went back and the guy who shot me was crying cause where my body fell, he couldn't loot any of my old gear. Sucked cause I couldn't get any of it back but funny cause I found a glock on the run back and shot him in the face and stole what he had. Even when you have all the cool stuff, you need to get ammo for your guns plus you can go help friends to gear up and then do raids on peoples stashes to steal their AS50 ammo. :P
06:04pm 06/02/13 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1246 posts
I stole a heap of weapons and found an atv, problem was a few crashes later it exploded and I died, fuel tank was not in tip top shape. haha oh well.
06:27pm 06/02/13 Permalink
pARODY
Brisbane, Queensland
1119 posts
I got my first ATV yesterday and rolled the bastard at that bridge near Stoli. Wish I had waited till after the new patch since they gave you the ability to roll the ATV to right way up. :(
06:33pm 06/02/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
06:33pm 06/02/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
1 2
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.
Close