We five mobile gaming packs to giveaway that include a Sony Xperia Z3, a PS4, a mount for your Dualshock controller and a pop-up gaming tent!
Sony Xperia Z3 Mobile Gaming Giveaway Featuring a PS4!
AusGamers presents a hands-on report of the third major game in the 'World of' series from Wargaming, World of Tanks.
World of Warships Hands-On Preview
We take a look at the latest mobile gaming setup from GAEMS to see just how useful it is.
Tech Tuesday - GAEMS Vanguard Black Edition Review
We chat with 343 Industries about Halo 5: Guardians and the upcoming multiplayer beta!
343 Industries Talks Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta
Xbox 360's "Graphics Card" Repair Brisbane? (Updated)
The GuVna
Brisbane, Queensland
1565 posts
::Updated::

The old out of warranty XBox 360 of mine is just collecting dust, so was thinking I might as well get it fixed. Microsoft want $168 to repair it, which is stupid as I bought a 2nd hand one from cash converters, with the HDMI output (& a free carry case to boot) for $145, & its still going strong after 2 years.

Anyway my old one is getting the an error where the display mode is not supported by monitors / TV as it appears there is a fault with its display output (note I have tried 2 component cable plugs & 1 RGB monitor plug, same issue)

I recall someone on these forums repairs Xbox 360's.

Anyone in the Brisbane area got one fixed here locally? Any quotes available? As no one answers their phone on this site
11:35am 04/07/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:35am 04/07/11 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
3720 posts
Hi Guv.
All 4 lights red means the AV cable is not connected correctly. Have you checked this?
11:53am 04/07/11 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
11838 posts
I just did the xclamp fix on my brother's out of warranty 360 a couple of weeks ago. Working great so far. That was a standard 3-light RROD though, I thought 4 lights was just an AV cable error? have you tried using a different AV cable to run it?
11:57am 04/07/11 Permalink
The GuVna
Brisbane, Queensland
1566 posts
Oh really, I just swapped the power to see what RROD it was, stupid site just said "ALL ERROR code",

Ill retry with the A.V. cable also. Brb as I have to do tv cabinet surgery to swap xboxes, & I hate physically moving my xbox... :P
12:03pm 04/07/11 Permalink
Outlaw
Gold Coast, Queensland
537 posts
Got a hair dryer ?
12:08pm 04/07/11 Permalink
The GuVna
Brisbane, Queensland
1567 posts
ahhh now I remember what the issue was, the "graphics card" died in the xbox. I remember the colours went to like 16bit when I was playing a game. Turned it off for a while as I thought thought it was overheating, turned it back on & TV would say "mode not supported"

Ill update the thread now.
12:15pm 04/07/11 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
3722 posts
Got a hair dryer ?

This was stupid and a waste of everyones time. The guy is trying to address the issue of the thermal paste no longer being effective by reheating it. F*****g take the heat sinks off and do the job right FFS.
12:29pm 04/07/11 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
11839 posts
Nah, it's not usually just the thermal paste, it's cold solders. A lot of people use hairdryers, heatguns or even wrapping the whole box in a towel and leaving it on for hours as a method to remelt them. The proper method though, is to just reseat the fan temporarily so it's cooling the CPU and not the GPU.
12:36pm 04/07/11 Permalink
The GuVna
Brisbane, Queensland
1568 posts
Hair dryer aint gonna fix a it's display output :P

I take it's pretty much bricked though as it looks like the entire board would need to be replaced, which is pretty much a new xbox 360 required anyway I take?
01:48pm 04/07/11 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
4071 posts
I used to use the towel only trick, different error to GuVna's though. I've pulled it apart, applied new paste, it already has some fancy X-clamp and stuff. But I haven't seen these hairdryer methods before. I might give that a shot. The Xbox has been dead for about a year now so maybe that might bring it to life.

Sure can't hurt it worse.

Nup, didn't do s***.
03:04pm 04/07/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18746 posts
have you tried it on another TV?
05:40pm 04/07/11 Permalink
The GuVna
Brisbane, Queensland
1571 posts
Yea tried PC monitor also
07:07pm 04/07/11 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
590 posts
A guy at work has had a few xbox errors fixed by this computer guru. I can't find his website but have his mobile in my phone which is all I have with me (in P***et ATM). Dunno if I'm allowed to post a mobile number so PM me or whatever. He has a shop northside a little south of chermside IIRC.
01:25am 05/07/11 Permalink
The GuVna
Brisbane, Queensland
1572 posts
PM Sent, ta DeadlyDav0 :)

I think if the chip has died it's pretty much a Xbox 360 brick, but yea sure no harm in giving him a call
08:43am 05/07/11 Permalink
Denominator
Brisbane, Queensland
870 posts
GuVna

It does sound like a hardware issue like a cold solder. You could try the hairdryer method to fix it or a hot air rework station, or you could just pull it all apart and look at the display section of the board with a magnifyng glass to fix problem. If that is what you are into or you could throw it my way ;)

last edited by Denominator at 10:15:24 05/Jul/11
08:50am 05/07/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:50am 05/07/11 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.