AusGamers took Far Cry 4 for a hands-on spin last week. Read on for our full thoughts...
Far Cry 4 Hands-On Preview
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
Joaby Gilroy takes The Sims 4 for a spin on PC and finds out just what the life simulator has to offer.
The Sims 4 Reviewed
We took the five winged, five week challenge with Hearthstone's first campaign and walked away less deathrattled than you might think.
Hearthstone: Naxxramas' Cursed Review
PC Controls on your PS3
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
6812 posts
I came across this a couple of nights ago, and my housemate and I were playing with it last night. Basically, some clever chap has managed to make your PC emulate a PS3 controller through bluetooth, allowing you to re-bind all of the gamepad controls to whatever peripherals you've got on your PC, including your keyboard and mouse. Here's a video of the creator using it for CoD:

It's only supported in Linux at the moment, so if you don't have it already, grab Ubuntu and install it to a USB drive or use its fancy Windows installer which doesn't require and drive partitioning. I've also read that it's a pain to set up with non-Debian distros, so it's probably best to just stick with Ubuntu.

It's not perfect yet, and some games (like Killzone) are just set up bizarrely so they still feel a bit off with a mouse, but if you get it working, it's going to s*** all over a gamepad, as you can see in the video.
08:33am 31/05/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:33am 31/05/11 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
11692 posts
That's a seriously cool way of doing it. Nice find, will have to give it a shot.
08:41am 31/05/11 Permalink
ctd
UK
9501 posts
Reckon if this stuff gains popularity beyond pc gamers it might make microsoft/sony + developers officially support M+KB on console in the future?

I used a custom mouse on my ps3 for a while and it dominated in cod and bf... until I finally upgraded my pc and went back to that. PS3 back to being a doorstop/mediabox
09:15am 31/05/11 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
6813 posts
The PS3 already has keyboard and mouse support in games, but the only developer to actually make use of it is Epic in UT3. Pretty disappointing, really.
09:23am 31/05/11 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
461 posts
it is becoming like the early days of computer, where "consoles" did entertainment and slight computer work (i had a d*** smith computer in the early days, two joysticks and buttons but they made a full keyboard when you put them into the console)

>>>edit, just for you midda, i put it there, (sorry for the trauma)
09:27am 31/05/11 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
6814 posts
)

Sorry, had to add your other bracket, or I would have gone crazy.
10:28am 31/05/11 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
2851 posts
I'm surprised they havn't released official xbox and ps3 keyboards and mice yet. Sounds like the type of thing they'd do for extra bucks.
10:49am 31/05/11 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
6816 posts
The problem is that each game has a different setup for the look sensitivity. Killzone for example is intentionally made to feel what the developers call "heavy." Really, it's just laggy and has a stupid amount of acceleration on it. Other games like CoD translate almost directly to mouse controls because they're made to be more sensitive to your input. This means a mouse will feel very different on those two games without a lot of tweaking for each individual game. This is why the XIM3 for Xbox 360 is popular, because it's a pretty smart device with specific settings for different games.

This application gives a fair bit of control too, allowing you to customise settings for each game. This gives it more potential than things like those FragFX controllers, but you're still limited to emulating what's actually possible with a gamepad.
02:39pm 31/05/11 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
14560 posts
Pretty impressive as far as hardware hacking goes. and as good as the XIM3 is, it's still $150 which is a fair bit of coin for an adaptor and not everyone is willing to spend that.
02:43pm 31/05/11 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
6094 posts
They will crack down on this because its a form of cheating.
The idea of the console is to make sure everyone has equal specs.

02:49pm 31/05/11 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
14561 posts
They will crack down on this because its a form of cheating.
The idea of the console is to make sure everyone has equal specs.
Maybe, But that would be impossible to detect since it's hardware emulation.

Also: http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=9535.0
02:50pm 31/05/11 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
6095 posts
3D shooter sales will plummet if Mouse jockeys are allowed to compete against game controllers.
02:54pm 31/05/11 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
6817 posts
I don't think it's cheating. You're not doing anything that's not possible with the controller.

It doesn't make you invincible. Hell, it doesn't even make you good, you still need to be coordinated. It just lets people who are uncomfortable with a gamepad actually enjoy games.
02:57pm 31/05/11 Permalink
Agamemnon
Brisbane, Queensland
866 posts
^^ Which is me

Ive never liked the console arrangement and consequently i have never played those games. However my brother plays his Xbox360 all the time and regularly asks me to play with/against him.

If i could hook up a m+kb i would love to play :)
05:45pm 31/05/11 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
6822 posts
I gave this another proper whirl last night on Killzone 3. The look-acceleration on that game is a real problem for achieving results close to a normal mouse, but I still managed to get a setup going which at least felt more comfortable than a gamepad. The broad mouse movements were almost spot on (apart from a little lag), but the really subtle movements were almost non-existent due to the acceleration. Anyone else who's got this up and running and would like to try my Killzone profile, just say so and I'll be happy to share.

Even with the mouse though, I still got killed plenty of times by people who are experienced with the gamepad.
09:21am 01/06/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:21am 01/06/11 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.
Close