Follow on for our second entry in the on-going review of World of Warcraft's fifth expansion, Warlords of Draenor
World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor: Day 8 - Garrisons
We chat with Blizzard's Hearthstone team on all the juicy info about the first expansion to highly-successful card game Hearthstone
Hearthstone: Goblins vs Gnomes Developer Interview
We take a nostalgic look back at one of the best N64 games to ever be made, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Throwback Thursday - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
DiRT3
Dethon
84 posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L6yAwWObv0

I have roughly 60 world records in DiRT2 on the PC
I'm keen for DiRT3 :)
01:58am 24/03/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:58am 24/03/11 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
5368 posts
dethon is CHUB's ae
02:09am 24/03/11 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
3500 posts
Mental note:
It looks like the only chance you have against Dethon is to have full contact on and put him into a rock or wall.
08:30am 24/03/11 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
4051 posts
Love the setup.... just need racing setup as i got the three monitors :)
09:16am 24/03/11 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
11333 posts
Steve actually has a pretty massive hands-on preview for this one that should be coming up today. Keep an eye out.
09:29am 24/03/11 Permalink
Dethon
85 posts
dethon is CHUB's ae

I suppose if I knew who Chub is I'd be offended?
Those who aren't noobs here know me.
If it wasn't meant to offend I take it back :)
11:16am 24/03/11 Permalink
Dethon
86 posts
Steve actually has a pretty massive hands-on preview for this one that should be coming up today. Keep an eye out.

kick ass!
11:17am 24/03/11 Permalink
Dethon
88 posts
Mental note:
It looks like the only chance you have against Dethon is to have full contact on and put him into a rock or wall.

haha ET :) its true that I would have a **tonne more World Records if it wasnt for hackers and wall bangers/wall riders!
Even tho I've beaten alot of them by driving correctly without cheating.
Ive asked codemasters about the wall riding issue and apparently they are addressing it in D3.
09:04pm 24/03/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
334 posts
Mental note:

Track his IP and cut power to his house,
06:10pm 19/05/11 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
3624 posts
Track his IP and cut power to his house,

I already know where he lives. I think he has wifi redundancy in case of attacks from E.T.'s though.
06:57pm 19/05/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
337 posts
I already know where he lives. I think he has wifi redundancy in case of attacks from E.T.'s though.

Bastard's thought of everything,
I would like to see some QGL racing action in dirt 3 that someone mentioned above
08:20pm 19/05/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18481 posts
Just as long as it's rally and not rally cross I'm set.

How do you know where the world record things are? I've been playing through dirt 2 just for fun while dirt 3 is on its way, not caring about times other than beating the challenges they set down. In forza 3 I got to be about 2 seconds off the top dude in a particular track so maybe I have a chance against dethon :)
08:58pm 19/05/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
341 posts
Rally cross is awesome.
i hit to many rocks in rally
09:05pm 19/05/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18482 posts
but as you know, I suck at rally cross :)
09:45pm 19/05/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
343 posts
haha too true
09:50pm 19/05/11 Permalink
Dethon
131 posts
haha interesting thread ;)

world records can be found in 2 places:

Go to Dirt Tour in the van, choose the country you wish and then Time Trials - on the PC hit ctrl to see the full list.

or go to "My Stuff" in the van and look at the leaderboards

in some of the leaderboards I'm as low as 30 or 40 places due to so many ppl wall banging or using hacks.
I'm in the top 10 in most of them and World Record Holder in about 20% or them.

The Ford RS200 Evolution Rallycross car is the most exciting car in dirt2 - and has the highest top end speed.
A total beast tho and hard to control :)
I believe you get access to it str8 up if you pre-ordered D3. You have to earn it in D2

I doubt I will be instantly better than everyone else. Altho I did really well considering the short time I had been playing the game compared to all the top guys. I worked hard on my setups and practiced to get WRs(of course).
I'm sure a couple of the kick ass racers from QGL will be doing well at first unless they turn their noses up at it.
My dad is hell keen too - he just turned 70 and is in the top 10 for a few tracks - a game for all ages.

bring it, b******!
10:30pm 19/05/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
345 posts
my setup consists of a cheap as logitech controller.
10:33pm 19/05/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18485 posts
My setup consists of an Xbox360 for windows controller but I do have an old logitech momo steering wheel I plan to try out when I make some kind of adaptor to make it fit my desk. My desk is way too thick and it doesn't clamp on anywhere :(

The Ford RS200 Evolution Rallycross car is the most exciting car in dirt2 - and has the highest top end speed.
A total beast tho and hard to control :)
I believe you get access to it str8 up if you pre-ordered D3. You have to earn it in D2

I've taken to using the group N wrx (I think) for everything because it seems the easiest to control. I tried the evo 9 but it just seems to get sideways everywhere & spin out, kind of funny since my real car is an evo (pray I don't drive it like I drive in dirt :p). I'm driving for the enemy :(
10:54pm 19/05/11 Permalink
Dethon
132 posts
You guys did know I meant *car setup* not playing setup didn't you? :)

For rally the suby Group N sti is the best overall car.

..and don't be fooled: "Protour" is akin to "noobtour" and should be treated as such :P

if anyone wants car setups for dirt2 I can send em; we've only a week to go tho of course.

I'm also keen to start an Aussie racing team in Dirt3 :D
11:10pm 19/05/11 Permalink
t
Brisbane, Queensland
68 posts
CHUB you play rfactor?
11:17pm 19/05/11 Permalink
Infidel
Netherlands
3541 posts
Hey whoop, or anyone else I got hyped by this thread for Dirt 3 so pre-ordered it on steam as its 5 euros off ...

I was able to connect my xbox 360 controller to my PC with a USB adaptor/charger thing, this should work on Dirt 3 right? Playing dirt 2 on the xbox was good but thought the PC would be better with better multiplayer options and graphics.
11:33pm 19/05/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18488 posts
I guess if your controller actually works in windows then yeah, should work with any game designed to use it. Do you see it in windows? Or did you just get one of those charge & play cables? They don't connect the controller to the computer, they're just a 5v power supply to charge the controller, you still need a wireless adapter thing for the PC. I know, I've tried :)

I didn't think anything of your setups comment dethon, I was just responding to timmeh's controller thing. I just leave my car on default, I don't fiddle with anything at all. Once or twice I did adjust a couple of things but for the most part I'm just in it for the sideways rally action, don't care too much about posting top times vs people who have no job/life & play it 24/7.

In any case, if anyone wants to own me in d2/3 my live! username thing is samwhoop, knock yourselves out.
12:01am 20/05/11 Permalink
Infidel
Netherlands
3543 posts
Oh youre right, charge & play was not working, have ordered a receiver on ebay but I dont think it will arrive on time ... its coming from hong kong
05:06am 20/05/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
346 posts
i would be keen for a aus dirt team
05:57am 20/05/11 Permalink
Spock
Brisbane, Queensland
1762 posts

ZOMG
08:57am 20/05/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18496 posts
Oh youre right, charge & play was not working, have ordered a receiver on ebay but I dont think it will arrive on time ... its coming from hong kong

haha yeah I did the same thing, thinking it was like a usb adapter cable :(
06:50pm 20/05/11 Permalink
The GuVna
Brisbane, Queensland
1484 posts
Preload available on Steam, that multiplayer Gymkhana looks like fun
10:58pm 20/05/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18502 posts
Infidel (and others) the supported wheel / controller list is here: http://community.codemasters.com/forum/dirt-3-general-discussion-1339/464511-dirt-3-supported-controllers-wheels.html

it's 11gigs and I've only got 10 gig left, lets hope I get the telstra content server
11:36pm 20/05/11 Permalink
trillion
Brisbane, Queensland
2382 posts
why does this f*****g backwater country not have something similar to Verizon's FiOS?

xdsl can go and diaf
12:25am 21/05/11 Permalink
Infidel
Netherlands
3549 posts
Whoop, I saw that but wasnt sure whether it was platform dependant
12:49am 21/05/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18506 posts
what? it lists the controllers for all platforms.
12:52am 21/05/11 Permalink
Dethon
134 posts
http://www.youtube.com/user/SRTMedia

SRT have lots of Dirt3 vids up.
01:47am 23/05/11 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
7430 posts

*BUMP*
Almost time to get down and Dirty
10:30am 23/05/11 Permalink
evıs
Brisbane, Queensland
6450 posts
This game will unlock in approximately 1 day and 16 hours
11:08am 23/05/11 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
665 posts
If you have an Xbox/Xbox360/PS2 or Ps3 controller and you want it to work with windows easily.
Use MotioninJoy.
Allows you to use your PS3 controller on windows quite painlessly, it can allow you to use PS3 controller to emulate an Xbox controller and vice-versa.
All you need is the power usb cable thing which you get with all the consoles for charging anyway, vibration etc. will all work.
03:31pm 23/05/11 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
7431 posts
Only controller to consider :)

http://users.on.net/~thevault/HERMITech/Racing/IMG_0098.jpg

Hell, I even broke up with my woman so that I can get some quality game time :)

<I kid, tho I did break up with her, just not for that reason!>
09:29pm 23/05/11 Permalink
Dethon
135 posts
wheres the like button?
10:21pm 23/05/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18522 posts
If you have an Xbox/Xbox360/PS2 or Ps3 controller and you want it to work with windows easily.
Use MotioninJoy.

I've got an xbox 360 wired controller, all I did was plug it in and it worked.

One thing I'd have liked would be the mini map to be in a different spot. I don't particularly want/need that progress meter (though I have it on coz i'm too lazy to figure out how to turn it off) but I want the map to be where that progress meter is rather than top center.
11:36pm 23/05/11 Permalink
Infidel
Netherlands
3552 posts
wow thanks Mephz, I'll have to check that from home I already bought the official receiver thing, was only 10 euros but this will let me play the game straight away :)

spoke to soon, the driver version for motionjoy is only for the sony dualshock
11:54pm 23/05/11 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
7249 posts
ds3 tool and xpadder lets u use your ps3 controller in windows

pretty awesome, can change every setting you can think of
06:35am 24/05/11 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
6284 posts
w00t! i got an install code this morning... but it said to try again later when i hit the play button :(
anyone know what time it will unlock?

:D
09:57am 24/05/11 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
4175 posts
Dirt is now unlocked on Steam probably wont get this game until i can get Logitech G27 for decent price!
10:00am 24/05/11 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
6286 posts
i totally recommend the logitech driving force gt. it's under half the price of the g27 & the only real loss is the 3rd pedal ( i only use brake & accelerator in dirt... no clutch). i've used mate's g27s & for feel they are pretty much the same. (though the pedal springs are stronger on the g27). i was initially after a g27 for dirt2 but couldn't get a decent price so i opted for the driving force gt n am totally happy with it.
10:06am 24/05/11 Permalink
evıs
Brisbane, Queensland
6452 posts
It has unlocked on steam now. Vroom vroom.
10:44am 24/05/11 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
4176 posts
Cheapest I've seen G27 is $395
11:08am 24/05/11 Permalink
trillion
Brisbane, Queensland
2387 posts
very pretty game, mainly geared towards online multiplayer as opposed to anything resembling a LAN.

cool Youtube api uploader built in if you have an account there.

plenty of attention to detail in the making of the game environments.

cars are much more detailed than you would have seen in anything previous out of codies.

dethon did you say you are going boss of planning an online session of this?

my Windows Live username is macaddy or todds iinet.net.au if you want to add me

sorry for the brevity, i don't have the time to stitch together a nice nerdgasm for you all, and really if you were keen you'd want to play it and not read about it post release anyway.
01:59pm 24/05/11 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
364 posts
the EXTREME DUDE voiceovers piss me off.

GNARLY BRODUDE!
03:20pm 24/05/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
369 posts
would anyone care to add a list of steam names?
ill starts off if we like
Zabbo4 (name currently Timmeh)
04:43pm 24/05/11 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
3634 posts
Nice Youtube integration. This is me in a land rush truck just running over the opposition. I mean literally driving over them :)

Sorry for the wierd resolution. I'm running 3 monitor eyefinity.
04:48pm 24/05/11 Permalink
The GuVna
Brisbane, Queensland
1489 posts
Dammit, My GFWL wont install, format ahead, bugga :/
04:58pm 24/05/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
370 posts
everytiem i try to link ym youtube it says error
05:01pm 24/05/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18525 posts
Steam: Search for Norah Tihtzoff, if there's more than one I'm the one with the lemur looking thing as a display picture
Live!: samwhoop

Dammit, My GFWL wont install, format ahead, bugga :/

I had that same problem with another game, I downloaded the official standalone installer from MS's site and it installed & updated just fine, after that I ran the game (F1 2010) and all was well with the world.

e: What exactly does it post to youtube if you enable that feature? Does it post the entire replay or can you edit it or something? I haven't linked my account because I'd rather use fraps to record, then I can do 2 recordings and have picture in picture of any decent events but I'm just curious.

In the game there's a car that wants a VIP code to unlock it, presumably those of us who bought it brand new should have got this code? Do you just enter the cd key or something?
06:19pm 24/05/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
371 posts
I have just finishe dthe first Triangle of races.
So far the game is really good, it looks amazing and handles great, the gymkhana is fun yet hard.
i really like the drift showdowns and head 2 heads.

whoop: the you can edit (basic cut and paste) the footage to show what you want or upload entire replays.
im guessing so you can send to others and say hey beat my time
09:35pm 24/05/11 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
6287 posts
i'm liking dirt3 so far :D same fast n fun feel as dirt2 with some awesome new tracks. love the rally tracks @ finland but i am still a total noob at them. the rallycross stages i have done in the dirt tour were awesome fun.

massif bug : every time i quit the game & restart it... it loses my wheel settings & goes back to keyboard defaults >.<

whoop : it only lets you section off a 30sec (max) clip from a replay & upload it to youtube. the format is 480p n it's a bit s***. if i was serious about capturing some dirt3 action i'd still use fraps n a video editer.
10:03pm 24/05/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18526 posts
I haven't had that issue with my 360 controller demon, maybe you've got the game installed to program files and UAC enabled? I had the same kind of issue with cod4 where it wouldn't save any settings, I had to run the game as admin to make it save them. I did one better though, I disabled that annoying piece of s*** UAC (as if "power users" need it).

I'm not liking the drift sections coz I suck at drifting, do real rally races have that stuff? seems like more of a show boating thing to me. I wish it had a "pure rally" mode where there was none of this stupid crap and just pure balls to the wall rally courses.
12:35am 25/05/11 Permalink
Enska
Sydney, New South Wales
1032 posts
sigh at work, d/ling now.
steam username: enska.
12:50am 25/05/11 Permalink
Infidel
Netherlands
3556 posts
looks very pretty, everything cranked up to max on 1920x1080 resolution i got 49 fps on the benchmark, playing keyboard though so havent played multiplayer till i get the controller sorted.
04:53am 25/05/11 Permalink
Spock
Brisbane, Queensland
1766 posts
hm, should change my windows live name... its now DocSpock

steam user however is steaner901

last edited by Spock at 08:31:58 25/May/11
08:22am 25/05/11 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
6288 posts
I haven't had that issue with my 360 controller demon, maybe you've got the game installed to program files and UAC enabled? I had the same kind of issue with cod4 where it wouldn't save any settings, I had to run the game as admin to make it save them. I did one better though, I disabled that annoying piece of s*** UAC (as if "power users" need it).

i'm on win xp at home so no uac. the dirt3 forums are full of people with the same problem... only seems to affect wheel users from what i've seen.

i kinda agree about the gymkhana stuff... i would just prefer to explore & learn all the point to point & circuit tracks while racing atm than do lots of donuts & skids n stuff :P but i think that stuff could be fun later when i have had ample time to learn all the tracks. just like the trucks n buggies... could be fun one day but atm i prefer rally, rallycross & trailblazers.

steam name : dem0n1kz
win live : dirtdem0n

(edit) if anyone else is having the problem where your wheel loses it's button binds when you restart the game... i have read (but not yet tested) that when the game starts, use the buttons on your wheel to navigate through the menus rather than the keyboard. apparently this sets the wheel as the default controller & won't reset your binds. props to dethon for the tip.
08:51am 25/05/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18528 posts
I'll plug in my oldass logitech momo wheel & see if it has any issues. I can't actually use it to play the game because my desk is a monster and the wheel doesn't fit anywhere on it :(

great googly moogly, I suck at this game with a steering wheel. Heaven help me if my real car ever steps out on me. I think I'll stick to the 360 controller. If I try the wheel I can't navigate the menus with the wheel, I have to use the keyboard. Lame.

EEEEEEEDIT: Nope, I can't even start the game with the wheel, it just sits there telling me to press start or enter so I press enter on the keyboard and of course controls default to keyboard. I prefer the 360 controller anyway.

last edited by Whoop at 18:24:27 25/May/11
05:43pm 25/05/11 Permalink
Dethon
136 posts
I've started dirt 3 australia if anyone wants to join

dirt3 saves my g27 setup if i use the start button ( bottom black one) on the h-pattern shifter attachment to start the game.
07:17pm 25/05/11 Permalink
Dethon
137 posts
A wheel will be better once you get used to it - no question.
07:22pm 25/05/11 Permalink
Dethon
138 posts
also in other news DIRT3 rules! :P
07:28pm 25/05/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18529 posts
Yeah there are no "start" buttons on my old momo wheel, having to press specific buttons is pretty fail imho. I have no doubt a wheel would be better once used to it but that would require me to A) build a mount for it B) buy a new wheel because the game can't be started with, nor can I navigate the menus with, my wheel (as far as I can find). I barely use my wheel as it is so I'm not going to go spend megabling on a wheel just for this game.
07:33pm 25/05/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
376 posts
Dethon link Dirt 3 Australia please.
Maybe if we get enough input we could ask for a sub forum?

So far we have:
Timmeh
Steam: zabbo4 (Timmeh)
Winlive: Xcilon

Whoop
Steam: Norah Tihtzoff
Winlive: samwhoop

trillion
Winlive: macaddy (todds iinet.net.au)

Enska
Steam: enska

Spock
Steam: steaner901
Winlive: DocSpock

Demon
Steam: dem0n1kz
Winlive: dirtdem0n

trillion will be awaiting nerdgasm post.

also go Queensland!
08:01pm 25/05/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18531 posts
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/dirt3aus
I just tried searching for my steam page but search doesn't seem to find it, probably because it's set to private so here I am: http://steamcommunity.com/id/mrsam
08:17pm 25/05/11 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
5720 posts
Sorry to crash your PC party but If anyone wants this on console let me know, i'm looking to make an order for this in the next few days.
08:22pm 25/05/11 Permalink
The GuVna
Brisbane, Queensland
1490 posts
hehe dethon was way ahead of me, I created steam group "Aussies In Dirt Society", Or AIDS for short. But Dirt3Aus twice the amount of members! (Mine had one, yours had 2) :)
08:27pm 25/05/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18533 posts
Sorry to crash your PC party but If anyone wants this on console let me know, i'm looking to make an order for this in the next few days.

Since it uses windows live for match making (I assume, since dirt 2 did) can PC and console users play together? I'm assuming not but hey, never know.
09:30pm 25/05/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
382 posts
Since it uses windows live for match making (I assume, since dirt 2 did) can PC and console users play together? I'm assuming not but hey, never know.

no, you there is no pc/console cross over even though the game uses windowslive/xboxlive
11:00pm 25/05/11 Permalink
Dethon
139 posts
Someone seriously needs to make multiplayer games playable by everyone regardless of platform.
01:48am 26/05/11 Permalink
Spock
Brisbane, Queensland
1769 posts
multiplayer games playable by everyone regardless of platform

I thought there was already a game like this out.... yes, just one game.

PORTAL!
09:13am 26/05/11 Permalink
trillion
Brisbane, Queensland
2395 posts
dethon speaks of the holy grail of gaming cross platform interop

has anyone tested how well the steamworks sdk does the cross platform gaming on the ps3 - pc portal 2?

not too sure about the nintendo / wiiware developers tools or if they're even in the same competition for cross compatibility since the wii tends to be the causal / family gamers console of choice

microsofts xbla is very well managed at the networking layer, and you'll notice that hacks like the Sony's recent psn debacle haven't happened to MS's platform and probably won't anytime soon. Whether this is because Sony are more open and liberal with tooling up their developers with sdk's that give access to the whole networking stack or because they don't mind taking on the competing monetisation platforms (steamworks / valve would be in direct competition with their own PSN Store) I heff nfi. needs more clueponing

so yeah valve are definately taking us to their version of the future of gaming cross compatibility, microsoft are just stallwarting / blocking innovation / incumbenting as is usual of pretty much any big company you can analyse the internal machinations of
10:40am 26/05/11 Permalink
Dethon
140 posts
I must say as a first time user: I'm really impressed with Steam.
10:50am 26/05/11 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
3642 posts

newb

;)
04:14pm 26/05/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
384 posts

Steam is the god of Game management software.
06:39pm 26/05/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18534 posts
Someone seriously needs to make multiplayer games playable by everyone regardless of platform.

They did, Quake3. There was a bit of hax0ry involved (not so legit map pack + certain patch) and PC users could go play against, and absolutely dominate, Dreamcast (I think) users. Wasn't intentional but proved PC > Console.
09:10pm 26/05/11 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
7436 posts
AI in SP seems tougher this time.

Playing on max difficulty an I'm only getting a 4 second lead above second place.
09:57pm 26/05/11 Permalink
Infidel
Netherlands
3558 posts
my controlelr receiver still hasnt arrive god damnit, couldnt find it locally so its coming from the old deutchland
11:29pm 26/05/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18536 posts

Playing on max difficulty an I'm only getting a 4 second lead above second place.

I can barely make 1st on difficulty setting 2 or 3 :( I truely do suck
01:03am 27/05/11 Permalink
Infidel
Netherlands
3559 posts
diffiulty 2 or 3 as in intermediate? Thats what I've been playing and coming 2 seconds ahead on the keyboard
01:48am 27/05/11 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
372 posts
Wasn't intentional but proved PC > Console

nope, pretty sure that was a part of the 'everything > Dreamcast' whitewash :P
03:14am 27/05/11 Permalink
Spock
Brisbane, Queensland
1773 posts

:( ive only managed 1 second so far... and then not even podium all the time. stupid keyboard
07:04am 27/05/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
32029 posts
ooooh, im gonna buy this as soon as petal leaves her cc unattended;

got a 5 week break from work, so i should be able to put in some decent hours!

just using a joypad at this stage, if thats not cutting it, will look into wheel and pedals.

wheres the cheapest place to buy?
07:18am 27/05/11 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
6293 posts
i am playing thru the dirt tour with the ai on 4 but all assists off except ABS. i intend on turning ABS off once i get to know the tracks. with the ai on 4 i will usually need to run each mission a couple of times before i get a win. actually i'll usually need to run the track a couple of times before i have a clean stage without crashing.

i rekn it's a bit odd that you can still run all assists in pro tour... that's not very pro imo ;p

spook are you after the cheapest place for the game or a wheel? i got the game off steam for $45 with a copy of dirt2 thrown in. i got my wheel (logi driving force gt) from jb hi-fi for ~$150
08:47am 27/05/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
32032 posts
the game, steam is worth while at $49us, so im downloading now!

definately interested in your wheel though demon, will see how i go with my trusty old analogue joypad first though
09:09am 27/05/11 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
3643 posts
I started by playing through the Dirt tour. I decided to go to the hardest setting straight up ( I like a challenge) Speaking of which, I then decided to see what good ol Dethon was up to. Sure enough, he was doing time trials so I set my sights on one of his times. Its the first one that comes up. Finland something or another. I worked at his time for ages and still can only get within 2 seconds or so of his time. WTF man :)
I'm going to keep working on it. The next one I'll look at is Kenya. That looks rad.
09:38am 27/05/11 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
6295 posts
the logi driving force gt rocks for dirt3. all menus can be navigated with the buttons n top-hat on the wheel front... so now the only time i need to touch the keyboard is to type out messages in chat. which rules coz i can sit back n not take my hands off the wheel :D

so do you guys playing dirt3 fiddle with the gfx settings much? i started with everything on high but was getting some pretty s*** fps last night in 8player gymkhana (transporter mode). also in 8player rallycross in the snow i couldn't see s*** when i was at the back of the pack... SNOW BLINDED !@#! ;p so i think i might turn particles down tonight.... n maybe tweak a few other gfx settings for more juicy fps.
11:19am 27/05/11 Permalink
Spock
Brisbane, Queensland
1774 posts
GREAT now i want to go back home and set up mah wheel.. hopefully it works, i dont even know whta one it is some kind of logitech momo
pity i know its not a g27
12:19pm 27/05/11 Permalink
Dethon
142 posts
http://community.codemasters.com/forum/dirt-3-general-discussion-1339/465693-poll-any-car-any-track.html

An essential part of the game is missing - any car on any track in Jam Session.

vote!
12:46pm 27/05/11 Permalink
Spock
Brisbane, Queensland
1775 posts
do i have to do anything special when signing up?... cause currently i cannot vote.
01:14pm 27/05/11 Permalink
Dethon
143 posts
oh - no idea :P Just sign up as per normal?
01:56pm 27/05/11 Permalink
Dethon
145 posts
I started by playing through the Dirt tour. I decided to go to the hardest setting straight up ( I like a challenge) Speaking of which, I then decided to see what good ol Dethon was up to. Sure enough, he was doing time trials so I set my sights on one of his times. Its the first one that comes up. Finland something or another. I worked at his time for ages and still can only get within 2 seconds or so of his time. WTF man :)
I'm going to keep working on it. The next one I'll look at is Kenya. That looks rad.

hehe
Tweaking the car setup really helped. I haven't really had a go at the rally times yet - but I've been working my way through the circuits if you want a challenge :) Got most of the WRs in the circuits I've tried. I'm sure they will fall as its only early days!
02:13pm 27/05/11 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
3644 posts
hehe
Tweaking the car setup really helped. I haven't really had a go at the rally times yet - but I've been working my way through the circuits if you want a challenge :) Got most of the WRs in the circuits I've tried. I'm sure they will fall as its only early days!

Because your on my friends list I can add your ghost when I'm trying out the tracks. You'd think this would be a good way to learn the best way around but I'd have to be keeping up in order to take advantage of that :p You'll know when I catch any of your times cause I'll be making a big deal of it hehe.
02:45pm 27/05/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
32036 posts
been playing dirt3 all arvo;

feels great, straight into pro mode and just making sure im winning everything in the single player before moving on with the slowest/highest rep cars

joypad is working a treat, will have to start checking out wr times to see how far off the pace i am;
07:20pm 27/05/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18541 posts
man that's homo, I recorded an awesome jump, it got all the way through uploading to youtube then tells me connection failed. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I'm capped so couldn't be bothered waiting another hour for it to try again :(

Wish it was like forza where you can save your lap demo for later viewing pleasure.

been playing dirt3 all arvo;

feels great, straight into pro mode and just making sure im winning everything in the single player before moving on with the slowest/highest rep cars

joypad is working a treat, will have to start checking out wr times to see how far off the pace i am;

Is that why they're a higher rep, because they're slower? well that explains why the hell I'm only getting 1st by a second or two, I'm going for the cars that give me the most rep because I figured that's what you're meant to do. L to the O to the Lizzle
09:00pm 27/05/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
32040 posts
have joined dirt3 steam group

i got some lame ms live name that i didnt choose (somberflyer151 i think)
do i need to do anything with that for hookups?
07:30am 28/05/11 Permalink
Infidel
Netherlands
3560 posts
I called myself gdaymate on windows live ....

But really enjoying the game, having a few drinks after work and playing it at home doesnt help placements in the pro mode :/ In case anyone is connecting one of these wireless receivers for an xbox 360 controller then installing drivers in windows 7 64bit you need to pick from the microsoft devices in the driver list as it cant find the drivers on its own.
07:43am 28/05/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
32041 posts
never use flashbacks
08:54am 28/05/11 Permalink
Infidel
Netherlands
3562 posts
could say that again old man :)
09:03am 28/05/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18545 posts
never use flashbacks

I dunno about dirt 3 because it doesn't list achievements on the loading screens but flashback usage is actually an achievement in dirt 2... don't ask me why.

I admit I'm a flashback whore but only because I play late at night & cbf starting the race again

i got some lame ms live name that i didnt choose (somberflyer151 i think)
do i need to do anything with that for hookups?

You can change your windows live name, but you need to pay for it (and you all thought apple was greedy) using MS points. Personally though I think it's a good idea, stops these stupid kids who change their name to whatever's relevant at the time so every week they have a new name and you never know who is who.
10:50am 28/05/11 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
7266 posts
i just started the tour. im finding the steering really sensitive tho for some reason :/ anyone else having this problem?

the gymkana is really fun
02:31pm 28/05/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
32044 posts
yer, ive been working through the gymkhana this arvo.

platinums or nothing.
02:41pm 28/05/11 Permalink
Spock
Brisbane, Queensland
1776 posts
hm, i just worked my way to get to the end.... is it just me or are donuts impossible with the keyboard?
04:17pm 28/05/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
391 posts
yer, ive been working through the gymkhana this arvo.

platinums or nothing.

is there anyother way!
07:11pm 28/05/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
32045 posts
just finished grinding out all the gymkhana events

not really a fan of them but appreciate the skills they've taught me

much prefer the awesome rally stages
09:02pm 28/05/11 Permalink
Dethon
146 posts

difficulty level 6?
09:42pm 28/05/11 Permalink
Dethon
147 posts
i just started the tour. im finding the steering really sensitive tho for some reason :/ anyone else having this problem?

the gymkana is really fun

No it feels fine - maybe adjust the dead spot in steering or the saturation in the game or the amount of turning degrees in windows profiler?
09:44pm 28/05/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18553 posts

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HHHHAAAAAAAAAAWWWWW
09:56pm 28/05/11 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
4189 posts
If ya go here http://www.facebook.com/logitechshop.online and like the post about them selling the G27 for $375 they are waiting 100 likes before they will put it on sale... they 500 to sell!
12:09pm 31/05/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
32062 posts
:(

day 3 of trying to win norway continues

got my time down 1:57:something on the first part of the rally

need to find another second

have tried just about every combo of car setup, no joy yet :(
12:12pm 31/05/11 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
6296 posts
i tire of doing the gymkhanas in dirt tour :(
i'd not do them at all but you gotta pass them to proceed with the tour.
especially the tight spins inside a small square with walls... i can't get the car to spin tight enough n it smacks the walls n i lose points. i just wish you could bypass them n proceed with the tour.
i also find the night driving trailblazers hard at times but i can work at it to learn the track n go faster.
02:48pm 31/05/11 Permalink
Spock
Brisbane, Queensland
1778 posts
its all about the full lock full throttle plus a bit of jerky handbrake demon.
03:22pm 31/05/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
32064 posts
yer, secret to spins is you gotta handbrake to get em started nice and tight.

finally, finished norways first rally on 6

man that was hard :(

03:27pm 31/05/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
401 posts
easy right into medium left
hairpin right
dont cut.
03:37pm 31/05/11 Permalink
qmass
Queensland
10004 posts
haha! you are using baby directions...
04:22pm 31/05/11 Permalink
Spock
Brisbane, Queensland
1779 posts
same here

i swear some of the # direction directions are done wrong... or i just cant figure it out
04:27pm 31/05/11 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
4190 posts
05:37pm 31/05/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
403 posts
i just like the voice, my mate has a rally navigator voice on his gps it hilarious
05:53pm 31/05/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18571 posts
^^ Which GPS? Sounds like something I could find amusing. Does it actually tell you the road names or does it just tell you to turn left in 500m?

i tire of doing the gymkhanas in dirt tour :(
i'd not do them at all but you gotta pass them to proceed with the tour.
especially the tight spins inside a small square with walls... i can't get the car to spin tight enough n it smacks the walls n i lose points. i just wish you could bypass them n proceed with the tour.
i also find the night driving trailblazers hard at times but i can work at it to learn the track n go faster.

Yep, I'm in the same boat, I'm actually playing dirt 3 a lot less because of it. I suck at scored drifting, just let me drive fast on dirt/snow roads ffs.

Also those f*****s going on about "yo amigo, upload that to youtube" after every race is starting to annoy me. I wish the game had a "disable hip hop f*****s" option
06:02pm 31/05/11 Permalink
The GuVna
Brisbane, Queensland
1492 posts
Yea pretty much 50% of a spin is the handbrake turn, A trick to breeze the GymKhana levels is to dont smash any of the smash blocks until you get about half way on the 3x multiplier, then smash all the blocks.
06:06pm 31/05/11 Permalink
Dethon
148 posts
demon try : 151113 for gymkhana slidey stuff
I did that donut thing inside the square the first go.
06:10pm 31/05/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
404 posts
It a Garmin or something???
come with a spongebob one aswell i think.
its says left at lights 500m....250m....100m.....50m...
2nd exit on ro-tay-ta-ry etc.
if you turn into a street that has another immediate turn it goes "right turn 50m followed buy hard/immediate right
06:13pm 31/05/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18573 posts
^^what do you mean by ro-tay-ta-ry? does it call roundabouts rotataries? what the f?

I'm ok enough at them to get at least silver or gold, that sort of crap just doesn't appeal to me and, imho, has absolutely no place at all in a rally event. Sure, put it in the game, but make it an event all on its own and leave the rally stuff by itself.
06:13pm 31/05/11 Permalink
Dethon
149 posts

Yep, I'm in the same boat, I'm actually playing dirt 3 a lot less because of it. I suck at scored drifting, just let me drive fast on dirt/snow roads ffs.

Also those f*****s going on about "yo amigo, upload that to youtube" after every race is starting to annoy me. I wish the game had a "disable hip hop f*****s" option

I just hit enter real quick at the end of races so I don't hear that. The Dirt Tour is only a small part of the game. If you only want to do rally etc - just go to time trials and rally your tits off.
I'm happy with gold in gymkhana which is pretty easy. I think it might be something to come back to later when you've worn yourself out of the other stuff and want something different.
Agreed tho - it would be better if it was a totally seperate thing and you didn't have to do it to get through the Dirt Tour.
06:15pm 31/05/11 Permalink
Dethon
150 posts
what is this 3x multiplier you speak of Guv?
06:17pm 31/05/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18574 posts
as you link more tricks together the multiplier in gymhkana goes 1x 2x 3x & gives you more points the more awesome you are

also, don't you have to do the dirt tours to unlock the cars? I see no real point in doing just time trials, I'd only be trying to beat my own time since I'm too s*** at it to beat anyone elses. once I finish the dirt tour I'll just be doing single races & "rally my tits off" all day

e: The more I think about that garmin rally voice the more it sounds like the non text to speech voice that comes standard with most GPS units. My old one used to say turn left then turn right if you had a turn right after another (navman)
06:23pm 31/05/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
406 posts
as you link more tricks together the multiplier in gymhkana goes 1x 2x 3x & gives you more points the more awesome you are

also, don't you have to do the dirt tours to unlock the cars? I see no real point in doing just time trials, I'd only be trying to beat my own time since I'm too s*** at it to beat anyone elses. once I finish the dirt tour I'll just be doing single races & "rally my tits off" all day

you speak the truth wise man...

P.S: I hate buggies omfg get some traction in ya.
06:25pm 31/05/11 Permalink
Spock
Brisbane, Queensland
1780 posts
i'll rally your mums tits off
06:29pm 31/05/11 Permalink
Dethon
151 posts
ahh thanks Whoop.
You can't be that bad if you are coming first against level 6 A.I.

The buggies rule!
06:45pm 31/05/11 Permalink
Dethon
152 posts
Whoop: no interest in mp?
06:47pm 31/05/11 Permalink
Infidel
Netherlands
3568 posts
circuit racing is funny, I was coming first for about the first time doing the truck racing (anything else is too fast for me yet) and some douche tapped me somehow and I spun out coming last ...
06:50pm 31/05/11 Permalink
Dethon
153 posts
I like how in circuit racing online the higher your ranking the further back on the grid you start.
06:52pm 31/05/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
408 posts
circuit racing is funny, I was coming first for about the first time doing the truck racing (anything else is too fast for me yet) and some douche tapped me somehow and I spun out coming last ...

dethon does this every race and pit maneuvers everyone then hacks through corners and then finishes with a negative lap time.....all legit.

nah,
I know what you mean, its a s*** feeling and you feel like blaming everyone, I always sit corner 1 out and let the carnage unfold and jolly on up 3-4 places.
06:53pm 31/05/11 Permalink
Dethon
154 posts
dethon does this every race and pit maneuvers everyone then hacks through corners and then finishes with a negative lap time.....all legit.

nah,
I know what you mean, its a s*** feeling and you feel like blaming everyone, I always sit corner 1 out and let the carnage unfold and jolly on up 3-4 places.

haha concentrating on not hitting anyone will make you a better driver.
Whether you win or not.
The first corner crashing is another reason I like the grid positioning I mentioned :)
06:59pm 31/05/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
412 posts
unrelated and offtopic
Dethon, erther space? is that you?
08:57pm 31/05/11 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
7270 posts
changed the dead zone of my controller and works so much better :)

pretty fun game so far
09:26pm 31/05/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
32066 posts
deadzone is well important.
05:31am 01/06/11 Permalink
The GuVna
Brisbane, Queensland
1494 posts
Here's the change list if your curious what was in the 600meg patch.

• Time of day and weather options are now correctly saved within Jam Session save/restore slots.

• Fixed an occasional loading screen hang which could leave the player with a black screen.

• Fixed a soft lock when removing the Ethernet cable on some screens during a LAN session.

• Battersea Compound – Parking Lot environment updated to ensure that smash blocks are always present.

• Resolved specific instances of the player being able to drive into areas of crowd.

• Corrected a rare issue with online staggered start team events which could lead to incorrect team scoring.

• Fixed a very rare physics issue which could lead to the player’s vehicle falling through the world.

• Fixed two graphics issues which could lead to a crash when changing resolution or resizing the windowed game to a height of 0 pixels.

• Resolved an issue preventing Player 2 from re-binding their controls if using a keyboard within a split-screen event.

• Fixed an issue which, in specific circumstances, could lead to a spectator seeing incorrect progress during a multiplayer Transporter event.

• Minor corrections to track boundary and reset lines.

• Fixed an issue which will occasionally cause the green ‘infected’ effect to be applied to the player’s car during loading between Outbreak events.

• ‘World Record’ and ‘Personal Best’ symbols now correctly appear within all circuit-based time trial events.

• Correction to particle behaviour during high speed collisions, avoiding any instances of them spawning in the wrong direction.

• Minor finish line adjustments to avoid the possibility of bypassing them in some routes.

• Fixed an issue which lead to the driver’s hands clipping when in the interior camera ‘brace’ position.

• Resolved an issue which would occasionally prevent the ‘World Tour’ tetras from spinning within the front end.

• Resolved an issue which could lead to some vehicle cards flickering within the front end vehicle select screens.

• Adjusted a small number of text references and menu options for the ‘VIP Pack’, which should be referred to as the ‘Free Car Pack’ for PC.

• Various stability fixes.
09:25am 01/06/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
32068 posts
ive had plenty of crashes (game, not car) so hopefully thats fixed.

still have to rebind my joypad everytime i start the game, thats pretty annoying.

theres no start button on the joypad
09:35am 01/06/11 Permalink
boba
Cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
3601 posts
been smashing this on pc with a xbox 360 wheel which kinda sucks so I purchased one of those G27 thingies

also had zero issues running the game, guess that is due to having nvidia and not ati

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/541769761857114969/9CD648F7AB319831ABC14D552B028A6084E110F2/
09:47am 01/06/11 Permalink
Dethon
155 posts
unrelated and offtopic
Dethon, erther space? is that you?

yep
10:02am 01/06/11 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9110 posts
Sounds like it will be one to miss the gymkhanas would piss me off.
01:29pm 01/06/11 Permalink
Dethon
156 posts
gymkhana is only a small part of the dirt tour and once done - you would never have to look at it again.
I certainly wouldn't dismiss it because of a little gymkhana.
04:13pm 01/06/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18583 posts
ive had plenty of crashes (game, not car) so hopefully thats fixed.

still have to rebind my joypad everytime i start the game, thats pretty annoying.

theres no start button on the joypad

my xbox 360 controller works without using the start button, I just press "A" when the game starts. Must depend on the type of controller, 360 controller doesn't care where as none of the buttons on my momo wheel will start the game. F*** logitech.
05:40pm 01/06/11 Permalink
Infidel
Netherlands
3569 posts
I've had a couple of crashes, controller just works on relaunch
06:13pm 01/06/11 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9112 posts
gymkhana is only a small part of the dirt tour and once done - you would never have to look at it again.

But I have to complete them to progress through the tour ... right ?

If they are pissing demon off they'd do worse to me, demon is a far more tolerant fellow then me.
06:19pm 01/06/11 Permalink
Infidel
Netherlands
3570 posts
Yeah they are quite annoying but what you do is come in first place on everything else so you have enough points to unlock everything else, then just play multiplayer
06:36pm 01/06/11 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
7441 posts
Late reply - Dethon, yeah on 5. Break even on 6 but havn't put much effort into play in last couple of weeks unhappily :(

on a side note, anyone interested in my old G25 for $200?

Nothing wrong with it, just want to get a G27 cause all the buttons are on the panel and they're cheap on the Logitech site.
06:53pm 01/06/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18584 posts
ahh thanks Whoop.
You can't be that bad if you are coming first against level 6 A.I.

The buggies rule!

oh hey didn't see this post, I'm not racing against level 6, I tried that but got my ass handed to me, pretty sure I said I knocked it back down to 2 which seems to be my easy win level. Not interested in pushing myself yet, gonna just win the dirt tour first to get those gymkhana crap things out of the way. Then later on I might get bored enough to try harder levels.

Also yeah I'll go a race or two, did you contact me or something over live? I think I've turned off all in game notifications but I did that on my xbox, didn't know the setting carried over into windows so I haven't seen any messages :(

But I have to complete them to progress through the tour ... right ?

If they are pissing demon off they'd do worse to me, demon is a far more tolerant fellow then me.

turn the difficulty right down for them & just get whatever passes & move on.
08:18pm 01/06/11 Permalink
grazer
Brisbane, Queensland
58 posts
Fun game. I'm sure boba is cheating tho! :p
02:17pm 02/06/11 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
6298 posts
yah same as whoop i just dropped the ai skill down to get past the gymkhanas. even though i am slowly getting better at them. i just wanna get on with the tour n finish it n unlock all the shiz :D then i crank the ai back to 5 for the rallyx, rally & trailblazer... rallyx with the ai is so much fun :D the ai is really quite careful not to collide with you.

rallyx in pro tour is a mixed bag. you can get lamers that just seem to wanna smash around rather than race which can be irritating... but it also makes it soooo good to get in front of a trouble-maker & have the skill to pull far enough away to avoid them doing a no-brakes corner slam on ya. :D
03:46pm 02/06/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
32082 posts
lols, in rallyx i just use the other cars as braking zones

full speed into corner, bounce off bad guy, head off in other direction in front of them, soon as you get clean air, they dont get anywhere near you.
04:37pm 02/06/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18587 posts
haha spook, sounds like what I do.

dunno about AI level 5 but the level I have it set to doesn't try that hard to avoid me demon, i've been spun out a bunch of times by the ai tapping my ass mid corner.
06:06pm 02/06/11 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
6299 posts
lols, in rallyx i just use the other cars as braking zones

yeh, that's pretty much what i meant by a "no-brakes corner slam" spook :p fair enough doing this to the ai... but it's pretty poor form to use in multiplayer imo. i know that doesn't stop many players doing it.. but i prefer to hold back, put pressure on the guy in front till he makes a mistake & get past clean. i like how they penalise drivers now for being too rough.. the green/orange/red dots etc..
dunno about AI level 5 but the level I have it set to doesn't try that hard to avoid me demon, i've been spun out a bunch of times by the ai tapping my ass mid corner.

yeh they will still tap n nudge a bit... but it's heaps better than dirt2 where if you in the way of an ai that is holding the racing line they will just barge you off the track like they can't see you.
09:15pm 02/06/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18593 posts
yeh they will still tap n nudge a bit... but it's heaps better than dirt2 every racing game ever, where if you in the way of an ai that is holding the racing line they will just barge you off the track like they can't see you.

fixed. Even in Forza 3 they still don't seem to know you're there & just push you off the track, which is why I like turning damage off & just spin all the AI cars out in most every racing game ever. Let's me get passed, gets rid of my frustration from them not knowing I'm there and gives me a head start while they're turning around.
12:24am 03/06/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
32087 posts
yer, i wouldnt know about doing this multiplayer.

havent even looked at mp yet, wont do until ive completed my training (and sp)
05:20am 03/06/11 Permalink
Infidel
Netherlands
3573 posts
and losing some weight eh spook?
06:46am 03/06/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
32089 posts
yer :)
06:57am 03/06/11 Permalink
Spock
Brisbane, Queensland
1784 posts
whats this about ai levels?

prepare for noob q 1

isn't 'advanced' the hardest? or are there more levels beyond that?
08:27am 03/06/11 Permalink
Enska
Sydney, New South Wales
1049 posts
In the advanced assists menu theres an AI diff level of 1 to 6 you can select.
08:45am 03/06/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
32094 posts
not very even though
5 is easy
6 is extremely difficult
09:03am 03/06/11 Permalink
Enska
Sydney, New South Wales
1051 posts
lol yeah, I changed it from 3 to 5 and noticed no difference so went with 6 and got f***ed up for a good hour before I could get on the podium.
09:08am 03/06/11 Permalink
Spock
Brisbane, Queensland
1787 posts
gah, now i just want to play this at lans instead of sc2...
09:49am 03/06/11 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
4196 posts
Hey guys just got my Logitech G27 and I am just wondering if anyone got some profiles for Dirt 2/3 Grid etc?? if you do can you PM me please :-)
09:58am 03/06/11 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
3660 posts
Jumped in last night to have another crack at the time trials. I dont get it. Where Dethons time is 2:24 or there abouts, some prick has a 1:05 as the WR. WTF is going on?

The track was the first Finland, Trailblazer map in the menu (cant remember the name right now)

Its as if the game is showing results from different class's or stage lengths or something. I've gone from 45th to 700 and something in the rankings as a result.
10:15am 03/06/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
32095 posts
dunno what you guys are complaining about with the gymkhana's they are awesome fun!

this is my platinum run on gymkhana sprint 01, shame you cant do 1 minutes worth of footage :( (44:something something)

gah, needs moar footage
10:18am 03/06/11 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
3662 posts
dunno what you guys are complaining about with the gymkhana's they are awesome fun!

this is my platinum run on gymkhana sprint 01, shame you cant do 1 minutes worth of footage :( (44:something something)

gah, needs moar footage

"THIS VIDEO IS PRIVATE"

so cant watch.
10:22am 03/06/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
32096 posts
weird, why would it be private!? fixed anyway.
10:23am 03/06/11 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
3664 posts
NIce. That looks wild.
I haven't done the gymkhana's yet. Will have to give it a crack.
10:27am 03/06/11 Permalink
Enska
Sydney, New South Wales
1055 posts
Yeah I noticed that too E.T. I loaded up the ghost on that one and as soon as the race starts that guys car teleports to halfway down the track. I noticed another one the same on one of the Kenya tracks too.
10:31am 03/06/11 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
3665 posts
Some frigging hacking going on already by the looks. That really s**** me.
10:33am 03/06/11 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
6300 posts
cool gymkhana run spook :) i can see that gymkhana could be some fun once ya got the tricks down pat. i will probably get into it once i am getting tired of the regular racing.

as far as the fake wr's go... i rekn some are genuine hacks... others are game bugs. coz i loaded up one trailblazer wr ghost that had a time that was almost half that of the 2nd place wr holder & the ghost just sat on the start line for 1:19, then it disappeared & finished the race :/ seemed more like some sort of error than a hack. tis annoying though & seems to be the exact same problem that dirt2 had... which is disappointing from codemasters. :(

i was talking to dethon the other night & he has seen wallbanging in rallyx... also very disappointing as it was a well documented bug in dirt2 :( i haven't seen it first hand but i've seen the mad bursts of speed some of the rallyx ghosts get & it's WRONG >.< (/cartman)
10:49am 03/06/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18601 posts
Is this another one of those games where you really need manual gears to get awesome speeds? I've got my proverbial foot nailed to the floor and I'm 10 seconds off the leader on AI level 6. Please tell me they don't make you buy a f***en steering wheel & go full manual with clutch just to catch the leading AI driver. Top level world record holders I get but AI drivers should be catchable by normal every day people ffs.

edit: well using a different car I'm now only about 3 seconds off the top AI, and as an added bonus I managed to do THIS!

p.s. spook and others who want more than 44 seconds, use fraps.
02:22am 04/06/11 Permalink
The GuVna
Brisbane, Queensland
1500 posts
Im nearly all full gold triangle thingys in the Tour on Level 6 with no assists (though i do use automatic & outside view) with an Xbox360 controller, so it's not like iRacing or rFactor where wheel is essential.

Damn Norway Rallies & the long Trail Blazers that are the hardest for me, im like 3 seconds off the pace at the moment :/
02:38am 04/06/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18602 posts
Is it faster to do mad sick drifts round corners or grip race? I've been going on ai level 2 for easy wins just to unlock s*** but decided to try level 6 again and I'm finding this game seems to be the complete opposite of forza. In Forza you have to do proper grip cornering, slow in - fast out but if I do the same in d3 as f3 the car just slows right down around corners. I'm s*** at drifting tho so good luck there :(

Guess I just need to unlearn forza racing & figure out how to rally drive properly :(

Also, what the hell is wall banging? I've tried looking for youtube videos but can't find jack
03:14am 04/06/11 Permalink
ctd
UK
9512 posts
Hey does this game go through steam no matter where you buy it from? It is £30 on steam but £22 at a random store online. Will pay the extra if it isn't through steam because I don't like to keep s***e lying around.
03:55am 04/06/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
32102 posts
i dont know how you could play this game and be competitive and not drive manual, gears are so integrally important (for me anyway)

i dont like outside view either, completely detracts from reality for me.

im not sure i could react quickly enough with a wheel, how do you handbrake witha wheel? is it a button? i need my ebrake all the time.

ok, im gonna start using the fraps!
07:39am 04/06/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18603 posts
you can set the handbrake to a button on the wheel, I had mine set to the gear shifter & used the paddles for shifting.

I tried manual but couldn't quite get it, strange since I use manual w/clutch in forza 3 just fine. I use bonnet cam, I find interior view too narrow in pretty much every racing game ever made. I don't know whether americans all have tunnel vision or what but the field of view is far too narrow to feel "real" to me. It's like your playing the part of a race horse with blinders on.
08:27am 04/06/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
32106 posts
bonnet cam or bust.
08:29am 04/06/11 Permalink
Dethon
158 posts
low ride height
no downforce
run the lines
as little sliding as possible

alot of fast drivers use auto.
the really fast ones use manual
Auto will not affect your top end.

bonnet view for me - I dont drive from 20 feet up in the air behind the car.
Driving from behind is a distinct advantage too - you can see more of the track coming up and you can see cars beside/behind you better. Whatever floats your boat but its not for me.
admittedly ya don't drive ya car with your face up against the windshield but I think bonnet view is the most realistic feeling.
I already have a wheel in front of me - I don't need another like in car view.
also it sounds s***** in-car mode imo
12:17pm 04/06/11 Permalink
Dethon
159 posts
ebrake is within thumb reach at all times
12:18pm 04/06/11 Permalink
Enska
Sydney, New South Wales
1066 posts
Gah, I love the c***pit view :D
I've been using one of Guvna's ghosts on one of the finland trailblazer's, and for the life of me i'm like 1-2 secs off you everytime ><
although I'm using manual and in car view :P
01:10pm 04/06/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
32110 posts
ow ride height
no downforce
run the lines
as little sliding as possible

yup, i run the same

usually with diff settings to low so less oversteer and brake bias to front for less oversteering;

just like racing car games, slow in fast out, no sliding is the key
03:03pm 04/06/11 Permalink
The GuVna
Brisbane, Queensland
1501 posts
haha well i'll be darned, I read your post Enska & I'm like "how'd he find a ghost of a track I did?" So I browse the time trials for "Finland - Vaasky Run - Modern" & it turns out I'm 27th fastest in the world so far!!!" Funny thing is I've only done that in single player tour just trying to gold everything hehe. Sure by next week ill probably be 227th fastest, but for now, yea rather proud of that, rather surprising as this is my usual ventures in Dirt 3 when Im trying to go fast... :

03:11pm 04/06/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
32111 posts
need to unprivate it guv.

pretty dumb setting ingame vids to private!
03:13pm 04/06/11 Permalink
The GuVna
Brisbane, Queensland
1502 posts
hehe yea that its pretty pointless, should work now?
03:18pm 04/06/11 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
6301 posts
haha be one with the tree guv

i briefly had 4th place on the leaderboard for modern & classic trailblazers @ kenya, garba tula... pretty sure i'm not top 10 anymore. props to steam screenies ;)

i run manual gears & bonnet view when racing but sometimes i go to chase-cam view for gymkhana... not sure if it makes it easier or not.. still trying it out.
05:23pm 04/06/11 Permalink
trillion
Brisbane, Queensland
2413 posts
gymkhana is some good fun when you get sick of the staged rally sections...

here's a random stop motion gymkhana sketch with a toy focus and some other bits & pieces
05:48pm 06/06/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18608 posts
gymkhana is some good fun when you get sick of the staged rally sections...

As much as I hated gymkhana when I first got dirt 3, I like fangin it round the car park thing they have & doing barrel rolls & getting fuly sik air. It'd be a decent place to learn how to take a corner fast too if it had any dirt patches but it's all tarmac :(
06:10pm 06/06/11 Permalink
The GuVna
Brisbane, Queensland
1506 posts
when you unlock all 3 parts of the Gymkhana playground, the 3rd area is all dirt :)
06:24pm 06/06/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18611 posts
awesomesauce, pity i'll probably have finished the tour by then though. Be nice if the dirt one was the first one they opened up :(

To be honest though, I've stopped playing dirt 3 & gone back to dirt 2. In dirt 3 I just feel like all the cars handle the same, in dirt 2 there's a vast difference between the cars and tuning setups really matter. In dirt 3 with the tuning setups they seem to matter because I've seen them alter my times for a race but doesn't really have the same feeling.

Both me and my brother feel the same way so at least I know it's not just me being picky.
06:28pm 06/06/11 Permalink
trillion
Brisbane, Queensland
2414 posts
back when I was a Possum Bourne protege I would take my ST170 Focus out to Ripley Road (believe it or not) to escape the urban jungle and rip up some dirt road/track. It's all tarmac now unfortunately just like Paradise Road but it was good times.
10:25pm 07/06/11 Permalink
qmass
Queensland
10006 posts
12:11am 17/06/11 Permalink
Reality
Sydney, New South Wales
228 posts
^haha great :D
12:35am 17/06/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
32234 posts
haha, do a barrel roll!!!!
05:57am 17/06/11 Permalink
Enska
Sydney, New South Wales
1143 posts
Hahaha, take that s*** to x-games qmass.
09:28am 17/06/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:28am 17/06/11 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.