AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Xbox 360 RROD Question
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
33028 posts
My 360 red ring of death'ed a few months ago; I figure I might as well try and get it fixed.

Read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907534 and it says if the power supply light is red or green to do different things. Mine is orange, and I think it's always been orange, but I can't remember for sure.

Do I just ignore that and fill out their service request thingy ( https://myservice.xbox.com/En-au/Pages/Welcome.aspx ), or should I try another power supply to see if that could be the cause?
09:11pm 16/02/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:11pm 16/02/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
17917 posts
Orange means it's got power but not turned on and it goes green when you turn it on, I think. Maybe your power brick is hosed
09:21pm 16/02/11 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
33030 posts
Orange means it's got power but not turned on and it goes green when you turn it on, I think. Maybe your power brick is hosed
Oh, right, duh - yeh it goes green when I turn it on. thanks
09:22pm 16/02/11 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
4970 posts
When my xbox RROD'd my powersupply also turned orange but i just sent it in anyway and got my xbox fixed.

If there's something wrong with your powersupply they should be able to replace it for you anyway.

edit: um yeah.. or it could it just be off :/
09:22pm 16/02/11 Permalink
Pirroh
Melbourne, Victoria
287 posts
Yeah, orange is just sleep mode.
09:27pm 16/02/11 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
1700 posts
don't suppose it's inside the extended warranty thing? and not modded??

was the easiest exercise when mine RROD to ring, send, return, all under warranty which i think was 3 years extra? just need your serial number and ring them up.
10:04pm 18/02/11 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
18195 posts
If it's not working like it should you should send that f*****g thing away to get fixed if it's still under warranty.
10:09pm 18/02/11 Permalink
ara
Sydney, New South Wales
3193 posts
the repair process is pretty quick and easy. i think it cost me 80 odd for them to replace a dvd drive in my first xbox360.

i think if you ring them up they can give you a quote before you send it off.
11:03pm 18/02/11 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
3455 posts
the repair process is pretty quick and easy. i think it cost me 80 odd for them to replace a dvd drive in my first xbox360.

i think if you ring them up they can give you a quote before you send it off.

If its out of warranty, MS charge about 250 to fix it. Thats s***. I've been doing my own for a while now. The parts will cost you about $10 and it'll be like new again.

Full instructions here Trog. Yell out if you need help.
http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/ring_of_light_x-clamp_fix.htm
08:02pm 19/02/11 Permalink
Enska
Sydney, New South Wales
667 posts
Remember that if it's actually a RROD issue and not something else its covered under an extended warranty, think it's five years from memory. Happened with mine a while back and I was just out of the general warranty but was still covered by the RROD one.
08:11pm 19/02/11 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
3456 posts
Remember that if it's actually a RROD issue and not something else its covered under an extended warranty, think it's five years from memory. Happened with mine a while back and I was just out of the general warranty but was still covered by the RROD one.

Nah, its 3 for RROD. MS knocked me back on warranty last time I had it. Thats why I've learnt how to fix it myself.
Your much better off anyway. MS only do a band aid fix.
08:18pm 19/02/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
17939 posts
wouldn't overheating the GPU for 45 minutes do even more damage?
09:01pm 19/02/11 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
3457 posts
wouldn't overheating the GPU for 45 minutes do even more damage?

Yeah, basicly, you dont want to really over heat it. You do want the thermal paste to be set right though.
I let the unit run until it jumps to 2 red lights. At that point you unplug the unit and let the whole thing cool down again. After that, your good to go.
10:16pm 19/02/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
17940 posts
I've got an original xbox, one of the ones prone to red ringing but I only used it once or twice after I bought it then lost interest so it still works perfectly. Would it be worth doing any kind of heatsink/fan mod to it to stop any RROD in the future? I was thinking of making it into a dedicated media extender so I can't imagine it would get that hot just playing movies.
11:32pm 19/02/11 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
3458 posts
One thing that really helps Whoop, is to do a good ol service on them. They tend to get really clagged with dust in the vents and heat sinks. Just cleaning that stuff out every 6 months or so will do wonders. The other issues in the actual design are another matter but it sounds like yours would be fine with just a service.
12:16am 20/02/11 Permalink
Mordecai
Victoria
583 posts
I bought the elite version when it first can out. RRODed about a year or so in. Sent it away, got it fixed and never had an issue again. Except when I had a power fluctuation and it RRODed again but I turned it off and then on five minutes later all good.

Whoop: One thing I have noticed with using my 360 as a media extender is if I turn the 360 on when the media server is running it wont detect it. But start the 360 first and then the server and the 360 detects it fine. A little weird I know but thought I'd throw that in your way just in case you go a head with your plan and the issue arises.
06:27am 20/02/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
17943 posts
I've never had any trouble with it not detecting it, then again I suppose it depends on what you're using to store the media on. I'm using my ReadyNAS.
08:02am 20/02/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
335 posts
If its the power brick issue, and depending if your 360 is a new or old one (pre - slim version)
I have a power brick you can have.
06:12pm 19/05/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
06:12pm 19/05/11 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.

Advertise with Us | Download Media Kit | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
© Copyright 2001-2014 AusGamers™ Pty Ltd. ACN 093 772 242.
A Mammoth Media web development / Australian VPS Hosting by Mammoth Networks