We chat with Blizzard's Hearthstone team on all the juicy info about the first expansion to highly-successful card game Hearthstone
Hearthstone: Goblins vs Gnomes Dev Interview
Follow on for our second entry in the on-going review of World of Warcraft's fifth expansion, Warlords of Draenor
World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor: Day 8 - Garrisons
We chat with Blizzard's Hearthstone team on all the juicy info about the first expansion to highly-successful card game Hearthstone
Hearthstone: Goblins vs Gnomes Dev Interview
We take a nostalgic look back at one of the best N64 games to ever be made, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Throwback Thursday - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
PS3 going under?
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
627 posts
-Edit-
Resonate quashed the rumour of Black Ops servers going down

-

Okay, so it looks like the rumour mill is going crazy for the PS3 as it hits it's apocalyptic days, with the rampant hacking going on in the past couple of weeks. Sony has hit a problem with the case against the alleged "hack" and "Infinity Ward says that due to the security measures taken in Call of Duty 4 and Modern Warfare 2, or lack thereof, "updates to the game through patches will not resolve this problem, unless the security exploit itself is resolved on the platform."

All the sources are here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106990-PlayStation-3-Hacking-Lawsuit-Hits-a-Snag

http://kotaku.com/5736132/modern-warfare-maker-say-it-cant-fix-rampant-hacking-on-ps3

Now, these are just rumours, but what do you guys think if Sony does indeed start loosing it's way with the PS3? Will Apple move in and take it up? I know that Sony has more then one revenue, but if the PS3 starts loosing people, would they let Apple or someone else try and boost it back in?
04:31pm 20/01/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
04:31pm 20/01/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
31103 posts
im not suprised, over priced, handful of decent games, treating users with distain

it was bound to fail form the start
04:34pm 20/01/11 Permalink
cJay
Brisbane, Queensland
1165 posts
So one game has hackers and all PS3's are going under? wtf!
04:35pm 20/01/11 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
1886 posts
It's such an easy hack to aswell... Well the hack itself was a little more complex, but it's sooo easy for the users to apply.

No mod chip. No special Usb Dongle.

I'm really excited to see what the homebrew scene can come up with, im hoping for custom dashboards xbmc amongst a list of a million other things.
04:36pm 20/01/11 Permalink
MatchFixah
Brisbane, Queensland
4665 posts
Lets hope it goes under.

Everyone knows the 360 is the superior console anyway.
04:37pm 20/01/11 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
1887 posts

It's a bit of a deal given that the COD franchise is one of the biggest gaming franchises of all time.
04:40pm 20/01/11 Permalink
fade
Brisbane, Queensland
5330 posts
I agree with Fixer in this thread only.
04:42pm 20/01/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
629 posts

Rumours my friend, I just like showing them :) Doesn't necessarily mean they are true.

Hacking has a unique was on consoles more then the PC. Consoles only revenue and use is games/watching movies but who does that. So hacking a console to make your own homebrew can be both fortunate and disastrous. It will be nice to see how Sony responds to this, but hell, I had a PS1 and PS2 chipped as well. As a programmer, this is pretty cool stuff to me, and I'm definitely keeping an eye out for a XBMC.
04:42pm 20/01/11 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
11979 posts
its just trying to catch up to the xbox
04:44pm 20/01/11 Permalink
MatchFixah
Brisbane, Queensland
4667 posts
I agree with Fixer in this thread only.
Then i'm afraid you're limiting your potential for personal development and self-actualisation.
04:45pm 20/01/11 Permalink
Resonate
Brisbane, Queensland
546 posts
Ahh the good old trusty rumour mill. Activision already quashed that rumour.

Fortunately, that was just a misunderstanding and a quote from one of our representatives was taken out of context and created a lot of confusion. We can assure you that the Call of Duty: Black Ops servers are not being shut down, and this is a false alarm. We are sorry for any inconvenience or unnecessary worries this may have caused, but as of now, there are absolutely no plans for the servers to be taken down.

last edited by Resonate at 16:48:13 20/Jan/11
04:46pm 20/01/11 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
2710 posts
Lets hope it goes under.

Everyone knows the 360 is the superior console anyway.

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/39024/sport-bike-turning-circles/boxxy-trolling.jpg
04:46pm 20/01/11 Permalink
Wrecktim
Brisbane, Queensland
642 posts
atleast we don't have to pay to play online. PS3 ftw
04:49pm 20/01/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
630 posts
I think it's still worth getting a PS3 at this time, if not for LBP2 alone :D
04:50pm 20/01/11 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
32823 posts
It won't go under; it's too big to fail, basically.

Games like Black Ops might have to get shut down (I would rate this as unlikely unless the developers really, really want to piss in the eye of gamers), but the next generation of games will (if the developers aren't morons) have some sort of unique key system to add another layer of security to get rid of cheats.

I think I made the comment in the thread about Portal 2 / PS3, it would be interesting if a Steam account was a requirement to be able to play it. The more I think about it the more I think Valve are aleady out there pitching that to PS3 developers with a PC port - having a Steam requirement means developers don't need to do s*** to more effectively secure the online component of their games. (Note: I think this would be a terrible terrible thing for gamers if it happened, personally.)

The most likely scenario though I can see is a CD key requirement for games like this so they can at least make a token effort to ban troublemakers. However, they'll quickly realise that having to police a hacker infested community is no fun at all so maybe they'll pursue an open dedicated server model and then make it a GSP problem!
04:51pm 20/01/11 Permalink
kappa
Brisbane, Queensland
1342 posts
atleast we don't have to pay to play online. PS3 ftw

Get what you pay for ...

Live bogs on PSN. No cross game chat ... LULZ!
04:51pm 20/01/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
633 posts
Thank god I don't play just one system ey Kappa?
05:03pm 20/01/11 Permalink
kappa
Brisbane, Queensland
1343 posts
Ditto ;)

How else would I play GT5 ...

Anyway my point still stands.
05:05pm 20/01/11 Permalink
tspec
Melbourne, Victoria
3007 posts
Sony was pretty brutal in the HDDVD vs Bluray war when the PS3 was launched. They wouldn't just let it roll over and die without a fight.
05:10pm 20/01/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
17789 posts
Is there a graph somewhere that shows PS3 sales? I wonder if there's a sudden rush to go out & buy current model PS3's just in case sony dream up some kind of hardware solution for future models.
09:25pm 20/01/11 Permalink
trillion
Brisbane, Queensland
1480 posts
where in the supply chain would the aggregate be set to? wholesale, retail, second hand? and how would anyone reading the stat know that it weren't some untold manipulation?

oh and xbox360 ftw
09:42pm 20/01/11 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
1888 posts
I use my ps3 more then my 360, mainly because i use it to stream media. Once the homebrew scene kicks off and we see quality apps coming out i dare say i will hardly use my 360 at all (except for exclusives and the odd live title)

Wii homebrew is pretty awesome. The stuff they have done with it is f***tacular. Imagine what they could do with the untapped power of the ps3.
10:31pm 20/01/11 Permalink
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
1648 posts

Wii homebrew is pretty awesome. The stuff they have done with it is f***tacular. Imagine what they could do with the untapped power of the ps3.

examples please, so i can explore
10:40pm 20/01/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
31106 posts
heh, most of the awesome wii homebrew software (that i know of) is the loaders and the emulators

pretty much all the other homebrew software ive seen on the wii is s***;
11:10pm 20/01/11 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
6076 posts
Yeah, I'm loving the fact that the PS3 got hacked, but it sucks that it's being used to cheat online (hardly surprising, though). I can't wait to see what the homebrew community does with it. Up until the hack, the homebrew wasn't all that exciting, other than some emulators, which I imagine is somewhat due to the barrier of entry (you needed a USB loader thingy). Now anyone with a USB storage device (i.e. pretty much everyone) can run homebrew on their PS3 with very little effort. That should hopefully mean we get some great apps, hopefully some XBMC-like solutions. The Wii homebrew scene has seen to stuff like that, but the Wii obviously lacks the horsepower to do it well.
10:19am 21/01/11 Permalink
kappa
Brisbane, Queensland
1344 posts
XBMC on Ps3 would be fkn WIN!

Also if you add a playtv, you have a single system that can playback your media files, play your bd's, and watch live tv. Oh and the catchup apps also already on the PS3. Wow. No need for htpcs.
10:33am 21/01/11 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
10875 posts
Just think, Sony could have avoided this whole mess by letting people install Linux onto their system.

Was it because they were paranoid people would use Linux to hack the PS3 and get hold of the tasty encryption keys?
10:36am 21/01/11 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
6078 posts
Even when it had Linux support, it was crippled in that access to the GPU was restricted, so half of the system's memory was unavailable. I suspect that if that limitation wasn't there, there'd be almost zero interest in hacking the PS3 to this day.
10:42am 21/01/11 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
251 posts
...xbmc amongst a list of a million other things.

XBMC on Ps3 would be fkn WIN!

+2

WORD, if NOTHING else comes of this, just to see a solid port of XBMC (it should really go about getting a new name) is reason enough to rejoyce...

it would make the PS3 the ultimate home theatre device.
11:51am 21/01/11 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
13652 posts
sign me up to the 'just wants to play games without cheaters' bandwagon

couldn't give a f*** about homebrew and all that bulls***

end of the day, it was hacked so you can pirate games. sony know this, you can try and sugar coat it 'zomg i bought it i should be able to do anything with it'

but pirating games (which is illegal fyi) is the main reason
01:17pm 21/01/11 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
32829 posts
end of the day, it was hacked so you can pirate games. sony know this, you can try and sugar coat it 'zomg i bought it i should be able to do anything with it'
Nah, I don't think it was just for piracy.

I don't know if you saw the vid I posted a few weeks ago where the team that hacked it got up and explained why they did it, but even if you did I can see why you might not believe them, but their STATED reasons were because Sony took away OtherOS.

This fits on the timeline - PS3 was largely unhacked the whole time it was out, because the homebrew/custom use community had OtherOS to do whatever they wanted with. As soon as Sony decided to remove that freedom - note, a freedom that was promised to you when you bought the device - efforts ramped up to re-open this.

I don't think that the sort of people with the brains to hack these things really are looking to save a few hundred bucks pirating software. This is about the challenge, the nerd glory, and striking back at the evil corporate overlords that continue to f*** customers as hard as they can - and Sony are one of the companies that you can hold up and use as a great example of that last.
01:27pm 21/01/11 Permalink
Enska
Sydney, New South Wales
617 posts
I'm selling my xbox as I dont use it enough. Admittedly I only don't use it because its one of the ancient ones pre HDMI and has an old 20gb hdd stuck on top.
I only use my ps3 but I also only really play sp stuff on it so meh. (see below :P)
f*****s better not cheat in LBP2 but, I will cry.
01:30pm 21/01/11 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
13654 posts
yeah admittedly i don't play a lot of stuff online, i have the odd game of gt5 online but hardly any of the servers do proper races. will probably play mortal kombat online dunno if it's even possible to cheat in those kinds of games online.

don't really care too much about fps games on console because you're doing it wrong if you're playing fps games on console anyway
01:46pm 21/01/11 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
11987 posts
i dont play any of my ps3 games online. thats what my pc is for.
01:49pm 21/01/11 Permalink
Outlaw-
Gold Coast, Queensland
88 posts
This is about the challenge, the nerd glory, and striking back at the evil corporate overlords that continue to f*** customers as hard as they can - and Sony are one of the companies that you can hold up and use as a great example of that last.

lul, great speech
02:03pm 22/03/11 Permalink
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
16033 posts
Will Apple move in and take it up? I know that Sony has more then one revenue, but if the PS3 starts loosing people, would they let Apple or someone else try and boost it back in?

Wtf, where did that come from? Did you just invent that and throw it out there? Why would sony do that?
02:14pm 22/03/11 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
2559 posts
PS3 has lasted so long before you were able to pirate games on it so sony should be pleased they built something so complex and hard to crack.

Slightly off-topic though I wished my Wii had better games. Only a tiny handful that interest me and i've already played them.
02:19pm 22/03/11 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
6770 posts
HAHAHA

oh noes infity ward has their game hacked the ps3 is useless now.

what a load of s***

02:33pm 22/03/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
1127 posts
This was 3 months old guys :S Why the hell did you bump it outlaw?
04:25pm 22/03/11 Permalink
hef
Queensland
1829 posts
Nah, I don't think it was just for piracy.

I don't know if you saw the vid I posted a few weeks ago where the team that hacked it got up and explained why they did it, but even if you did I can see why you might not believe them, but their STATED reasons were because Sony took away OtherOS.

This fits on the timeline - PS3 was largely unhacked the whole time it was out, because the homebrew/custom use community had OtherOS to do whatever they wanted with. As soon as Sony decided to remove that freedom - note, a freedom that was promised to you when you bought the device - efforts ramped up to re-open this.

I don't think that the sort of people with the brains to hack these things really are looking to save a few hundred bucks pirating software. This is about the challenge, the nerd glory, and striking back at the evil corporate overlords that continue to f*** customers as hard as they can - and Sony are one of the companies that you can hold up and use as a great example of that last.

QFT.
04:54pm 22/03/11 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
9224 posts
This was 3 months old guys :S Why the hell did you bump it outlaw?

One of the downsides of Google's love affair with this site is that people will find these threads and mistakenly bump them ><
04:56pm 22/03/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18099 posts
That and for some forums 3 months isn't old, 3 YEAR old threads are considered active.
07:14pm 22/03/11 Permalink
trillion
Brisbane, Queensland
1815 posts
talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater, very n00bish
07:19pm 22/03/11 Permalink
Linker
Brisbane, Queensland
1393 posts
Well that's it guys. Sony had a good run.

Are people that make these threads f*****g stupid?
11:02pm 22/03/11 Permalink
Outlaw-
Gold Coast, Queensland
98 posts
3 month old thread sitting at the top of the forum. lul. do you blame me?
And obviously I didnt find this thread through google since I have 80+ posts and I've been a member for years.

Beside that, the issue of Sonys PS3 being hacked is ongoing.
10:56pm 23/03/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
1149 posts
3 month old thread sitting at the top of the forum. lul. do you blame me?
And obviously I didnt find this thread through google since I have 80+ posts and I've been a member for years.

Beside that, the issue of Sonys PS3 being hacked is ongoing.

Sorry, I view from general, so didn't know if it was still on top in game section from when I made it. My bad!
11:07pm 23/03/11 Permalink
Dazza
Sydney, New South Wales
4 posts
The next generation of consoles will go along way to deciding the future of microsofts xbox 720 or ps4 as nintendo who kicks both xbox and nintendos arses for sales.
Even though i'm not a nintendo fan it seems to me that instead of sony and microsoft merging in the future both gaming businesses creating 1 mega gaming company.
It seems to me both sony and microsoft have a lot of ground to make up on nintendo sales wise maybe the only way to go to beat nintendo is to merge
12:02pm 28/04/11 Permalink
lateral
Brisbane, Queensland
3453 posts
It seems to me both sony and microsoft have a lot of ground to make up on nintendo sales wise maybe the only way to go to beat nintendo is to merge
another way is to start a new thread instead of bumping an old one to discuss the topic. :)

Yeah, I'm loving the fact that the PS3 got hacked, but it sucks that it's being used to cheat online (hardly surprising, though).

Sony got hacked again FYI, except this time they stole 77million users information, including possible credit cards thefts. myself being one of them :/
12:24pm 28/04/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
1571 posts
Old thread is old. Dazza, careful there bud, may get yourself banned.
12:49pm 28/04/11 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
4377 posts
Not really Dazzas fault, you can tell the newbies by the way they actually browse the forum subsections and find 2 month old posts half way down the first page.
01:58pm 28/04/11 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
9481 posts
And then declare themselves forum veterans afterwards ;)

But yeh, that's a problem given that you don't like necros causing ripples in General.
02:35pm 28/04/11 Permalink
Outlaw
Gold Coast, Queensland
368 posts
probably because general is full of junk posts with -10 replies
04:49pm 28/04/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
04:49pm 28/04/11 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.