We've tested Doom 3 and Quake 4 to run fine on Windows Vista, provided you have an OpenGL ICD installed (provided by your GPU vendor). Both NVidia and AMD/ATI have released an OpenGL ICD in their latest driver line.
If no OpenGL ICD is present, the default OpenGL driver is a wrapper to D3D provided by Microsoft, which lacks the necessary features to run id games with their full performance and graphical impact.
The install CDs (and DVDs) for Doom 3 and Quake 4 will install the game fine under Vista. The Quake 4 installer may require you to install Flash Player first, and Vista may pop occasional warning windows but in the end you will get a working installation.
Fixes and updates in 1.3.1:
- Tested and improved Vista compatibility
- Fix a potential crash in physics
- Fix an issue with pak downloaded being immediately appended without filesystem restart
- Fixes to DNS lookup, reduced the stalls
- Updated the code to gcc 4.0 compliance, for Mac OSX universal binaries and GNU/Linux x86 binaries
- Threading implementation for Mac and Linux is more compliant with the Win32 behaviours
- Fix Alsa sound backend (Linux)
- Fixes to tty code (Linux)
Fixes for modding/SDK:
- Fix RevBitFieldSwap issue (affected only big endian platforms)
- Fix ReadBindFromSnapshot
- Verbose overflow check in idBitMsg::WriteBits and apply related fixes
- Fix a GetFileList issue
- Expose key states and button states to the game
- Pass lastPredictFrame to the game (client prediction)
- Pass HandleMainMenuCommands to the game
- Pass the GUID to the game (in ClientConnect call)
- Allow game to override gui load menu